Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
I was worried that I wouldn't like the SSV mouthpiece, but I realized last night while using it that I have no reason to dislike it. I may even like it better than my simple Aromed mouthpiece (small cylinder).

I was also worried about the power cord and knob placement being awkward for me, but now I think this configuration is probably how I would do it if I had made it myself. I quickly found that if I keep it at a 45° angle with the power cord in the rear, everything works splendidly. I can't even imagine using it how I thought I was going to use it (with the knob facing away from me).

At this point I feel like the SSV will complement my Aromed nicely, not necessarily replace it. With my Aromed dough riser mod, I have made the Aromed [very] good for tiny loads. So far I see the SSV being better for much larger nighttime loads. But I'm still going to try to figure out if I can use it with tiny loads.

The black color (paint?) seems pretty cheesy, especially compared to Santa Cruz Shredder's anodized finishes. But I really don't care. Aesthetics may be a nice bonus, but I was after function, which I apparently received, for a very good price.

I was asleep pretty early last night. Don't think I made it to midnight. Lately I think I've had trouble getting to sleep before 2:00, even though I almost always get up at around 8:00.

So far I have only really used it at max temperature. At first I was a little hesitant to do that, as I have read a lot about combustion being possible, but I haven't had any indication that I risk combusting unless maybe I load the wand so full that it creates conduction. (I haven't used a load any bigger than about 2/3 of the bowl yet.)

Can anyone give me a link to information and/or discussion about the @DDave mod kit?

Vapor Loop

Can anyone give me a link to information and/or discussion about the @DDave mod kit?

He sells them on eBay only one full kit left so you might wan't to jump on that just search ddave mod. I haven't used it myself but have something similar i was using on a different vaporizer a little differently, But i will be getting a full kit at some point maybe out of the next batch.

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
I was worried that I wouldn't like the SSV mouthpiece, but I realized last night while using it that I have no reason to dislike it. I may even like it better than my simple Aromed mouthpiece (small cylinder).

I was also worried about the power cord and knob placement being awkward for me, but now I think this configuration is probably how I would do it if I had made it myself. I quickly found that if I keep it at a 45° angle with the power cord in the rear, everything works splendidly. I can't even imagine using it how I thought I was going to use it (with the knob facing away from me).

At this point I feel like the SSV will complement my Aromed nicely, not necessarily replace it. With my Aromed dough riser mod, I have made the Aromed [very] good for tiny loads. So far I see the SSV being better for much larger nighttime loads. But I'm still going to try to figure out if I can use it with tiny loads.

The black color (paint?) seems pretty cheesy, especially compared to Santa Cruz Shredder's anodized finishes. But I really don't care. Aesthetics may be a nice bonus, but I was after function, which I apparently received, for a very good price.

I was asleep pretty early last night. Don't think I made it to midnight. Lately I think I've had trouble getting to sleep before 2:00, even though I almost always get up at around 8:00.

So far I have only really used it at max temperature. At first I was a little hesitant to do that, as I have read a lot about combustion being possible, but I haven't had any indication that I risk combusting unless maybe I load the wand so full that it creates conduction. (I haven't used a load any bigger than about 2/3 of the bowl yet.)

Theres a thread on here dedicated to it .. just use the search function :) (id link you if i knew how!)

Aimless Ryan

This is interesting, though I bet someone else tried it long before me: After realizing I could measure the temperature of my SSV's heater, I fetched my IR laser thermometer.

The first interesting observation is that I got a reading of well over 900°F while holding the thermometer about 2" from the heater. (I think it actually went over 1000° but displayed those high temperatures as double digit numbers.)

The second interesting observation I made is that when I hold the thermometer farther away, the displayed temperature decreases considerably. The highest reading I got from a foot away was about 625°F. 268° from about 2 feet away.

I have never experienced that kind of behavior from this thermometer, which I own specifically for pizzamaking. I'm not sure why this would happen, but I have to assume it's because the target I'm trying to measure is so small, with such a big difference in temperature from the air surrounding it.

Right now I don't know if any of these numbers mean anything. If anyone has any deep thoughts about this, please share.

Aimless Ryan,

420engineer

it's the air that heats the herb, not the element, you should measure the air temp passing through the bowl

420engineer,

Aimless Ryan

I was interested in knowing the temperature of the heater, not the temperature of the air.

Aimless Ryan,

Popcorn Lung

If I have the Buddha is there any reason to get the SSV? just wondering if I should pull the trigger on a SSV sale.

Popcorn Lung,

420engineer

I was interested in knowing the temperature of the hbowl forr, not the temperature of the air.

OK, allow me to elaborate; your post and observation seemed to indicate surprise at the high temperature readings of the heater. I assumed this to be in relation to the optimal temperature for vaping buds, which is lower. Your closing statement invited thoughts on this. This is mine;

it's the air that heats the herb, not the element, you should measure the air temp passing through the bowl if the high temp of the heater concerns you. I believe it is higher to take account of the cooling effect of the passing air upon drawing.

420engineer,
Reactions: hoptimum

shredder

OK, allow me to elaborate; your post and observation seemed to indicate surprise at the high temperature readings of the heater. I assumed this to be in relation to the optimal temperature for vaping buds, which is lower. Your closing statement invited thoughts on this. This is mine;

it's the air that heats the herb, not the element, you should measure the air temp passing through the bowl if the high temp of the heater concerns you. I believe it is higher to take account of the cooling effect of the passing air upon drawing.

Yup, and its all relative anyway. Lots of variables besides temps. Herbs, dryness, amount, each unit may vary and so on. Best to just play with it until fully medicated then repeat. It's hard not to have fun with it.

Last edited:
shredder,

u bwade wunner

I'm loving the GG set up right now.the package I ordered with different wand styles arrived on Friday so it's been a nice few days getting to know this vape a little better.

I m using EQ baskets in the GG wand and only need minimum to 1/3 on the power dial now because the load is much closer to the heater using a basket screen.I have had really powerful results using this set up and right now much prefer it to the standard.
I Just had to take a smidge off the rim of the EQ basket to stop it jamming inside the heater cover every time I went to dislodge the wand.

The mini wand btw works really good with SSV.The screen is a little closer to the heater than the standard so it could be an option for folks needing a slightly hotter setup.Glass is a little thin.but function makes up for that.

Ground glass or mini wand??.meh..i think I'd go Ground glass with either @DDave kit which looks remarkable value or the official SSV ground glass cover and get a few altered rim ezbowls and EQ screens.

I have yet to try the spherical .I m saving that one.love this vape.

I have asked @VaPeD&CoNfUsEd to make me a GG wand.He has been great to deal with so far.I will post a pic when it happens.

Last edited:

hoptimum

I'm loving the GG set up right now.the package I ordered with different wand styles arrived on Friday so it's been a nice few days getting to know this vape a little better.

I m using EQ baskets in the GG wand and only need minimum to 1/3 on the power dial now because the load is much closer to the heater using a basket screen.I have had really powerful results using this set up and right now much prefer it to the standard.
I Just had to take a smidge off the rim of the EQ basket to stop it jamming inside the heater cover every time I went to dislodge the wand.

The mini wand btw works really good with SSV.The screen is a little closer to the heater than the standard setup so it could be an option for folks needing a slightly hotter setup.Glass is a little thin.but function makes up for that.

Ground glass or mini wand??.meh..i think I'd go Ground glass with either @DDave kit which looks remarkable value or the official SSV ground glass cover and get a few altered rim ezbowls and EQ screens.

I have yet to try the spherical .I m saving that one.love this vape.

I have asked @VaPeD&CoNfUsEd to make me a GG wand.He has been great to deal with so far.I will post a pic when it happens.

I started with GG, then the standard. But my current fav is the spherical

u bwade wunner

Thanks,I will try that setup tomorrow.i want to get my pack and heat right with the GG first.

Last party I went to,the usual,full of smokers :ninja: I took the solo.It went down real well.SSV next time and what I'm gathering is,the spherical is the ideal set up for that.

I won't have to think about it.

u bwade wunner,

Aimless Ryan

My new SSV's heater cover broke Saturday morning, so I had to use my Aromed. The next morning (yesterday) a crack in my Aromed herb holder became a break. I had already ordered a replacement herb holder like two weeks ago but received a message from Vapor Nation informing me that I won't receive it for several weeks because all their herb holder stock was damaged and they had to order more herb holders from Germany.

So I'm down to an Arizer Air, which I'd rather only use occasionally.

To see if I could keep from using the Air, I cleaned my SSV wand and loaded a small amount of herbs from the opposite end of the wand as normal. Inserted a tight domed screen after loading, then inserted the whip. Placed my wand bowl so it surrounds the uncovered heater (on max temp) and inhaled.

This works very well. I may continue using it this way after the replacement heater cover arrives. One might expect accidental combustion with this setup. Which happens, but not much. I pretty much have to make the screen contact the heater before it'll combust.

Aimless Ryan,
Reactions: grokit

Vapor Loop

My new SSV's heater cover broke Saturday morning, so I had to use my Aromed. The next morning (yesterday) a crack in my Aromed herb holder became a break. I had already ordered a replacement herb holder like two weeks ago but received a message from Vapor Nation informing me that I won't receive it for several weeks because all their herb holder stock was damaged and they had to order more herb holders from Germany.

You can still find standard heater covers on eBay from one seller quick shipping too.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The latest addition to my vape arsenal:
7ELrKGZ.jpg

I really like classy look of the the black on black.:cool: It's getting me properly wrecked at the moment. :freak:

:peace:

Aimless Ryan

I may have damaged it. I don't remember doing anything that could have damaged it, but a fairly small crack appeared near the top of the vertical part. I wondered if maybe it was caused by contact with the heater, but I have no idea if that could cause any damage. Doesn't seem likely.

Then when I placed it in a coffee cup filled maybe halfway with water, it just popped, loudly, as it broke into two pieces. Kind of a cool sound. I didn't feel like I dropped it into the cup, but I must have.

u bwade wunner

Still using the ground glass heater cover.its efficient as..only using 1/3 power as herb is closer to the heater.i was getting scorch and char using an EQ basket screen in my ground glass so I'm just packing into the glass wand as was intended by 7th floor and Wow,some hits are just too big to take in one go.its just the volume of vapor.happy to report no charring now just thick clean vapor.lightly browned and into my brownie bank.

I think the elb works better than an EQ screen but needs a few preheat rips to get going.

I can't see me using the standard set up anytime soon.

still looking forward to trying out the spherical setup but in no rush yet to try it.

@Stu what heater cover did You get?

u bwade wunner,
Reactions: grokit

Aimless Ryan

I like the SSV so far, but I've determined that I could not recommend it to anyone with poor manual coordination, diminished feeling in hands, or bad depth perception.

You don't necessarily think about these things until after you have a chance to familiarize yourself with a new product, but there is at least one fatal flaw with the SSV, at least if you have similar handicaps as myself: The SSV requires you to be coordinated enough to touch a piece of glass in the middle of the air with another piece of glass in the middle of the air, then hold it in mid-air for at least ten seconds. And then the piece of glass you have to touch moves everywhere.

Fail.

That's just poor design. It's possible to make a cool-looking desktop vape that is also ergonomic, but the SSV is not that vape. I'm inclined to think such a vape does not exist.

Aimless Ryan,

hoptimum

The SSV requires you to be coordinated enough to touch a piece of glass in the middle of the air with another piece of glass in the middle of the air, then hold it in mid-air for at least ten seconds. And then the piece of glass you have to touch moves everywhere.

You lost me

hoptimum,
Top Bottom