shredder

Yup, and I still can't believe it. More than once I've immediately reloaded the micro for a second, only to get higher than I want. Hard to believe the little basket can be so effective.

It's kind of funny, I've had a recent harvest, and have jars of five varieties. But I've also been sick, so now that I'm feeling better I want to jump back in, but one tiny bowl and I'm done for hours. Oh well

CalyxSmokr

So I have standard, spherical, and ground glass kits - but I have used nothing but the DDave mod successfully. Tried the spherical but got no visible vapor from about 0.2g.
My question is: What is the minimum amount to use with each of these?
It seemed to me the spherical would need at least 0.5 to work. Maybe it would be a little less for the smaller standard and gg? Or do you need at least a half gram with these also to get them really going? I can't get screens to fit tight enough in any of them to make it worthwhile. What are you all using in them?

hoptimum

So I have standard, spherical, and ground glass kits - but I have used nothing but the DDave mod successfully. Tried the spherical but got no visible vapor from about 0.2g.
It seemed to me the spherical would need at least 0.5 to work. Maybe it would be a little less for the smaller standard and gg? Or do you need at least a half gram with these also to get them really going? I can't get screens to fit tight enough in any of them to make it worthwhile. What are you all using in them?
With the spherical, rather than add more herb, I raise the temp a notch. 0.625 inch screens fit all of them for me, slightly domed

shredder

I use the ground glass and also have the Ddave mod kit. As long as I have enough herb to cover the screen, it hits great. I average maybe .2 gram loads. It takes a higher heat setting though. I believe it's because of the distance between the herb and the heater. The ddave mod kit gets the load closer. And uses lower heat settings.

On the gg wand, I use basket screens I make myself. I took a socket that just fit in the wand, then another socket that fit tight over the first socket. On the larger socket I center a 3/4 inch pipe screen, then tap the screen into a basket shape with the smaller socket and a small hammer. If the screen is stiff enough it makes a basket shaped screen.

I use the basket screens skirt side down or away from the herb. This also puts the load closer to the heater than a stock screen..

I've used the other two style heater cover wand combos, but not enough to give advice. Hopefully someone else can answer that better than I.

CalyxSmokr

With the spherical, rather than add more herb, I raise the temp a notch. 0.625 inch screens fit all of them for me, slightly domed
Do you mean like on the right?
DSC00733.jpg

Because I can put a screen there but it flops out and you can't stir it

Ronp

I have a Arizer V-Tower and a Vapir Rise. From what I heard the SSV, it is the best whip vaporizer: I bought a SSV figuring it would be great. MY SSV is a great disapointment. After I'm done vaping with my SSV, I put the ABV in my V-Tower at 185F and can get five more heavy hits; the herbs are still green when I'm finished vaping from SSV. I pulled up on the cermic heating element to increase the heat: It simply pulls back into the housing. I took off the base, cleaned up the wiring and cleaned the bunched up cloth heat shield, and the heating rod still returns back into the housing about 1/4 inch (gravity). I have spent more time trying to correct the heat on this vaporizer than any other vaporizer I own. I'm not an engineer, but it would seem the heating element should be secured for consistancy and to fight something as simple as gravity. The SSV is marketed as an elite vaporizer. My SSV must be a knock off from China, because the SSV you write about is not mine. Like all my other vaporizers the SSV should bang out of the box.

When I wrote to 7th floor they were quick to respond and very professional. I didn't want to send my SSV in...but it looks like I may have to.

I'm just venting: As I calm down I realize, a company that makes an elite product does not always make a perfect product, but when they miss the mark, they are quick to fix an error. I'm kind of glad I'm having problems with my SSV, because I know they will stand behind their product.

zor

Can you provide any pictures or more details to how you use it? When the heating element is at its highest possible position, after receding, how close is it to the top of the heat cover? How high are you turning on the heat?

zor,
Reactions: DDave

Ronp

I pulled up the heating element, and it seems to have stayed and not retracted when I put the cover on it. It's rideing about a 1/4 inch from the top of the cover. I did a session and while the ABV is slightly darker, I have to run it on full power to get mediore results.

About the pictures: I'm lucky I could write; I always wondered how you posted pictures.

Ronp,

TheMasterBlaster

____Non-Smoker____
My heating element doesn't move. I tried pulling it up but it didn't budge - I was afraid I'd break it.

Is it supposed to just slide out???

TheMasterBlaster,

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
@Ronp I had the same problem you have with the heater. I was able to get mine to stay in the highest position possible by bending the wires a little bit. I agree, it shouldn't be like that. This issue should be taken care of before it leaves the factory. That's just simple quality control. Spending so much time trying to reposition the heater is probably what caused my first heater cover to break after only four days.

I never use my SSV any way other than turned all the way up. I don't come anywhere near combusting, ever. My ABV comes out a solid brown. I ought to order the DDave mod right now.

I'll be getting an Underdog soon. In fact, I've sorta already placed my order.

Aimless Ryan,

Ronp

@Ronp I had the same problem you have with the heater. I was able to get mine to stay in the highest position possible by bending the wires a little bit. I agree, it shouldn't be like that. This issue should be taken care of before it leaves the factory. That's just simple quality control. Spending so much time trying to reposition the heater is probably what caused my first heater cover to break after only four days.

I never use my SSV any way other than turned all the way up. I don't come anywhere near combusting, ever. My ABV comes out a solid brown. I ought to order the DDave mod right now.

I'll be getting an Underdog soon. In fact, I've sorta already placed my order.
I'm with you...Mine probably has such a nice case so it looks good on the shelf. I'm so upset. What a let down.

Ronp,

zor

The heating element can move up and down a bit, it won't slide out and come out of its housing base though.

@Ronp, your experience reminds me of the issues I had trying to use the SSV oil nail kit with a wand filled with ground flower, I just couldn't get good heat on the wand. I think the main cause of the poor heating was a poor seal so cool air would leak in without passing over the element, as well as the distance of the herb from the element. Pictures could be very helpful but if you have the opportunity to just send it in to be diagnosed and serviced I would just do that. I am able to get the element to touch the top of my heat cover, the element actually gets pushed down a bit from its full length.

Otherwise, I wonder how your heat cover is seated, if perhaps it is at an angle that obstructs or occludes the element in such a way to prevent heat conduction?

zor,

Aimless Ryan

I'm with you...Mine probably has such a nice case so it looks good on the shelf. I'm so upset. What a let down.

I still like the SSV, and I've been using it pretty exclusively for the last couple months, but I want something that can create fire and ashes if I tell it to. I'm sick of having to vape for half an hour to get what would take maybe five hits via combustion. I have figured out how to create something close to my ideal vaping conditions by using my broken SSV heater cover or by using a creative mod with my currently unusable Aromed. But that takes considerable modification, which I'd rather not have to deal with.

Aimless Ryan,

Ronp

Being disabled and reclusive, I've got notin' but time, I love the long session, but like you, if I jack any desktop I got to high, I can't handle more than a 5 sec rip even with a water tool (the vapor's way too thick). I put my SSV on high, I'm lucky to get a wisp of vapor if I don't first pull out the heater rod before my sessions.

Ronp,

ReifierReefer

I have a Arizer V-Tower and a Vapir Rise. From what I heard the SSV, it is the best whip vaporizer: I bought a SSV figuring it would be great. MY SSV is a great disapointment. After I'm done vaping with my SSV, I put the ABV in my V-Tower at 185F and can get five more heavy hits; the herbs are still green when I'm finished vaping from SSV. I pulled up on the cermic heating element to increase the heat: It simply pulls back into the housing. I took off the base, cleaned up the wiring and cleaned the bunched up cloth heat shield, and the heating rod still returns back into the housing about 1/4 inch (gravity). I have spent more time trying to correct the heat on this vaporizer than any other vaporizer I own. I'm not an engineer, but it would seem the heating element should be secured for consistancy and to fight something as simple as gravity. The SSV is marketed as an elite vaporizer. My SSV must be a knock off from China, because the SSV you write about is not mine. Like all my other vaporizers the SSV should bang out of the box.

When I wrote to 7th floor they were quick to respond and very professional. I didn't want to send my SSV in...but it looks like I may have to.

I'm just venting: As I calm down I realize, a company that makes an elite product does not always make a perfect product, but when they miss the mark, they are quick to fix an error. I'm kind of glad I'm having problems with my SSV, because I know they will stand behind their product.

I had the exact same problem as you @Ronp and I emailed 7th floor asking what I could do to fix it without sending in my SSV. They were quick to respond and ended up mailing me some heater stand replacement parts free of charge so that I could attempt to fix it myself. Unfortunately I ended up doing more damage to my SSV in the repair process and had to send 7th floor my surfer to get it repaired. Everything was under warranty so I only had to foot the shipping costs. It took a little over a week for me to get my SSV back but now it's as good as new...well, it actually may be running a tad cooler than usual but I can still achieve any kind of vapor I desire be it wispy and flavorful or thick and teetering on the brink of combustion.

@Aimless Ryan has your SSV always required being run full throttle or did it used to run hotter? I swear mine has been running cooler since I got it fixed, but I could easily be at fault for tinkering with my SSV's guts when I was trying to repair it myself.

I love my DDave kit and highly reccomend it to anybody with a SSV. IMHO it holds the most value out of any of my vaping related purchases. :2c:

Aimless Ryan

I've only had it for a couple months. I can't say anything has changed aside from probably better performance from having raised the heater 4 or 5 mm.

My philosophy with vaping is: give me the highest temperature I can have without ending up with fire and ashes, in a fairly small, shallow bowl. Since I haven't had any luck yet finding a vape that does that, I might end up making one. Particularly one that is easy for disabled people to use without breaking shit all the time or having to worry about breaking shit all the time.

My objective is to get high and hopefully hurt less, not to spend an hour pretending to be sophisticated. Last night I even smoked a little, because I'm sick of waiting for my SSV (or Aromed, or Air) to give me what I can easily get from fire: sufficient heat. Inhaling smoke from a tenth of a gram of weed occasionally (or every hour) is not going to harm me, and it blows my mind that so many people seem to think smoking weed is going to kill them or damage their health in any way.

ReifierReefer

I've only had it for a couple months. I can't say anything has changed aside from probably better performance from having raised the heater 4 or 5 mm.

My philosophy with vaping is: give me the highest temperature I can have without ending up with fire and ashes, in a fairly small, shallow bowl. Since I haven't had any luck yet finding a vape that does that, I might end up making one. Particularly one that is easy for disabled people to use without breaking shit all the time or having to worry about breaking shit all the time.

My objective is to get high and hopefully hurt less, not to spend an hour pretending to be sophisticated. Last night I even smoked a little, because I'm sick of waiting for my SSV (or Aromed, or Air) to give me what I can easily get from fire: sufficient heat. Inhaling smoke from a tenth of a gram of weed occasionally (or every hour) is not going to harm me, and it blows my mind that so many people seem to think smoking weed is going to kill them or damage their health in any way.

Sounds to me like you you would enjoy a log vape and one of Ed's wooden stems. DDave's kit should give you everything you're after save worrying about breaking something.

While some people may think that smoking is severely detrimental to their health, I too believe that there is little harm in moderate combusting. That being said I only vaporize (and I generally stick to high temperatures) because I prefer the more consistently potent effects--this a product of the ability to more precisely control your tolerance as well as a significantly higher percentage of actives in vapor when compared to smoke. I can certainly understand your point that the SSV requires a longer session that may not resonate with some user's needs. I've found that DDave's kit remedied that issue for me, but I am less concerned with the chance of me breaking something than you may be.

DrNick420

Greetings all,
I am considering a Light Saber or a Silver Surfer and wondering if anyone uses theirs predominantly for concentates.

I'm looking for a vape I can use with concentrates 90% of the time and flower the rare 10% or less of the time i want to.

Is the SSV/LSV a vape i should be considering?

Thanks all :spliff:

shredder

Greetings all,
I am considering a Light Saber or a Silver Surfer and wondering if anyone uses theirs predominantly for concentates.

I'm looking for a vape I can use with concentrates 90% of the time and flower the rare 10% or less of the time i want to.

Is the SSV/LSV a vape i should be considering?

Thanks all :spliff:

For using concentrates in a ssv, You can use a wire pad like stortz and bickel sells, or I like using an organic cotton ball. Just wrap up the concentrate in cotton and turn up your ssv (that is what I have), and hit it. Works well.

And 7th floor wll sell a dedicated concentrate heater cover. I have no experience with it tho. Others may chime in.

But if all you want to vape is concentrates, why not just get a pen vape? I've seen globe types sell for under $30. And globe type top lets a silicone tube (whip) slide right on, and you can match it up with a cheap water pipe.
Hope this helps

shredder,

DrNick420

For using concentrates in a ssv, You can use a wire pad like stortz and bickel sells, or I like using an organic cotton ball. Just wrap up the concentrate in cotton and turn up your ssv (that is what I have), and hit it. Works well.

And 7th floor wll sell a dedicated concentrate heater cover. I have no experience with it tho. Others may chime in.

But if all you want to vape is concentrates, why not just get a pen vape? I've seen globe types sell for under $30. And globe type top lets a silicone tube (whip) slide right on, and you can match it up with a cheap water pipe.
Hope this helps
I heard with some modification the ssv or lsv can be great for concentrates. I am simply looking for a desktop concentrates vape which does not use batteries, I really hate those globe type ones. Thank you for your input though, I should probably look elsewhere for a concentrates vape.

DrNick420,

CalyxSmokr

I heard with some modification the ssv or lsv can be great for concentrates. I am simply looking for a desktop concentrates vape which does not use batteries, I really hate those globe type ones. Thank you for your input though, I should probably look elsewhere for a concentrates vape.
the oil nail kit for the ssv is about $80. If you want to do dabs it will do the trick. Then you let it cool and switch out for a regular heater cover for flower
maxresdefault.jpg

Top Bottom