SSfan

zb13 said:
Chimpy, check to make sure that the heating element is pushed up far enough. In the picture it appears to be, but when my SSV arrived it had this problem. Removing the base and pushing it up from the bottom completely solved the problem.

great first post!

:peace:

SSfan,

ManFlies352

Quick question: I've been using an o-ring that just so happened to perfectly fit around the metal base of the heating element to eliminate heat escape. Is there any harm in this or should it be fine?

ManFlies352,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I might be nervous that it could reach temps high enough to cause a rubber odor.
I don't know if there is harm in it.. but I don't think that there is any benefit either.
The SSV is a rock. No heat will escape!
I am a super cautious guy though... and I would call them direct and ask! (maybe SSVChris will respond with some of his golden wisdom when he sees this!)

Vitolo,

RegalOwl

InFlames235 said:
Quick question: I've been using an o-ring that just so happened to perfectly fit around the metal base of the heating element to eliminate heat escape. Is there any harm in this or should it be fine?
Please forgive/correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the heat escape be negligible? I would think this would be more of a problem for lower powered (battery) vaporizers.

RegalOwl,

ManFlies352

RegalOwl said:
InFlames235 said:
Please forgive/correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the heat escape be negligible? I would think this would be more of a problem for lower powered (battery) vaporizers.

Yea, you got a point. When we were having a bit of issues with the spherical my roommate put it in one day and it seemed to make things slightly better. Took it off today from the standard and it still works as good as before. Standard just doesn't need any modifications it looks like :brow:

ManFlies352,

Vapetologist

HamsterDAMAGED
Good call on removing the O-ring. The temps in that area are not very high, but with the unknown nature of the makeup of the rubber, avoid it. Did you find out why you were having issues with the spherical connection? Its our rock star, so if your having any issues let us know. As far as heat escape...no worries whatsoever.

Vapetologist,

Sour Deez

I love my spherical connection. I added a couple more shims/spacers along the base of the heater cover and now its so tight and perfect. there is no possible way any heat could escape from mine.

Sour Deez,

Vapetologist

HamsterDAMAGED
Sour Deez said:
I love my spherical connection. I added a couple more shims/spacers along the base of the heater cover and now its so tight and perfect. there is no possible way any heat could escape from mine.

Make sure its not too tight...there should be a very minor bit of play as to allow for slight flexing when pushed on by the wand. But if it works for you than great, worst case scenario your only out a HC.

Vapetologist,

ManFlies352

SSV Chris said:
Good call on removing the O-ring. The temps in that area are not very high, but with the unknown nature of the makeup of the rubber, avoid it. Did you find out why you were having issues with the spherical connection? Its our rock star, so if your having any issues let us know. As far as heat escape...no worries whatsoever.

It wasn't so much having issues as it just didn't give me clouds at the same temperature the standard and GG connections are giving me. I'd have to start at 2 - 3 instead of 12 - 1 which wasn't preferable so I switched to standard and it's working just as I want it.

ManFlies352,

Sour Deez

InFlames235 said:
SSV Chris said:

It wasn't so much having issues as it just didn't give me clouds at the same temperature the standard and GG connections are giving me. I'd have to start at 2 - 3 instead of 12 - 1 which wasn't preferable so I switched to standard and it's working just as I want it.

Thats weird, i use mine(SGG) at 12, finish at 1.

So if I get the standard wand, I will have to start more around 9-10??

Sour Deez,

max

Out to lunch
Sour Deez said:
Thats weird, i use mine(SGG) at 12, finish at 1.

Dial settings can easily vary from one unit to the next. It mostly depends on where the knob indicator is when placed on the shaft. When the DBV first came out, many users reported a mid point setting of around 3 o'clock, instead of the usual 12. Removing and repositioning the knob changes the turn on point. And the ideal position for one person may not be the same for another, due to a difference in preferred draw speed.

max,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Sour Deez said:
Like max said, it varies.. but you will get to lower the setting from where it is now!

Vitolo,

smutty

I've got a problem. I've used my SSV for about a year, and from the beginning I noticed that the knob had some unhealthy play, even though there is a specific warning not to turn it too far in one direction or the other. Last night I went to turn it on and the knob was completely shot. Worked fine the night before. Can't find the click at all, and it heats to a tepid warm but can't connect fully. So am I out of luck? Is there a way to fix it? Has anyone ever unscrewed it and successfully found a solution to this?

smutty,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Does the knob pull off? Does the attachment that holds the knod (dial base0 turn.. and if so does it control heat?
Is knob itself just loose?

Vitolo,

smutty

The knob does pull of yes. The base does turn but there is very little response. The light flickers and seems to indicate that it heats for just a few seconds. Not enough to get any real heat.

smutty,

Vitolo

Vaporist
if you can not control that dial with a pair of pliers... and get the heat to rise and fall by doing so.... you should get in touch with 7th floor right away. There could be a bad connection.
If you are not under warranty, repair is inexpensive, and fast... very good folks.(max repair was quoted as 25 dollars!)

Vitolo,

VaporEyeSore

@smutty
I had a problem like this. Switch was unresponsive and the light didnt come on until nearly half a turn. I took
the knob off and tightened the nut securing the switch to the main body. I couldnt get a socket on it as the hole in the body is too small, I had to use a pair of tweasers to get any grip on it at all.
That seemed to sort it for a while but it ended up needing to be done everytime i moved the ssv from one place to another.

VaporEyeSore,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Why do I love the Hand Held Wand and Standard HC.
When I hear folks talk about wanting versatility, I tell them that yes... the Spherical connection is "top-o-the line'.. and Hands Free is a luxury!
When I hear them talk about group use.. and passing whips, and potential mishaps.. I often think that a standard connection has many good points as well.
Here is one solution of mine... to what you can do if in a group situation.. or planning one big party.
You can Stock Up!.. Get an extra Standard HC and, you won't worry about any "connector mishaps".. or a friend blowing back herb because he wasn't ready!
The image here is what I do!

Some people prefer the Hands Free attachments for their SSV, because they find it difficult to maneuver the wand with herb in it. Touch the above image, to see me do things with both hands.. and fiddle with the wand, and finally put the full wand down and never lose a drop!

Vitolo,

Sour Deez

I still dont see how the standard could be that much different then spherical. You are making me want to buy a standard wand and HC, but ill be disappointed if i dont notice any difference.

Sour Deez,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Sour Deez said:
I still dont see how the standard could be that much different then spherical. You are making me want to buy a standard wand and HC, but ill be disappointed if i dont notice any difference.
SD.. I never said it was better. I am only showing why I find it convenient and functional for my lifestyle!
I for sure would not want to alter your path... just showing the versatility to those who did not know.... keepin' it real... walkin' the walk... showin' my pals why I do like I does!

If you were in my city, we could trade for a day!

Vitolo,

Sour Deez

Vitolo said:
Sour Deez said:
SD.. I never said it was better. I am only showing why I find it convenient and functional for my lifestyle!
I for sure would not want to alter your path... just showing the versatility to those who did not know.... keepin' it real... walkin' the walk... showin' my pals why I do like I does!

If you were in my city, we could trade for a day!

I understand you're not saying its better. It seems the main difference between the two is the size of the opening where the heat comes out from. Spherical is a big hole, whereas standard is a smaller hole. The size of opening on the wand looks similar. Its only 14.99 for each piece, i might give it a whirl.

Sour Deez,

Vitolo

Vaporist
The smaller hole on the Standard HC, causes a faster draw through that small opening of heated air.
The physics makes the ratio of air force faster to to restriced opening.
I am not sure how the standard wand would fit into a Sherical HC.. look at some images first, and ask Chris at 7th floor how he thinks it would work.
No use experimenting with this type of purchase when we have him in this forum as a resource!

Vitolo,

Sour Deez

Vitolo said:
The smaller hole on the Standard HC, causes a faster draw through that small opening of heated air.
The physics makes the ratio of air force faster to to restriced opening.
I am not sure how the standard wand would fit into a Sherical HC.. look at some images first, and ask Chris at 7th floor how he thinks it would work.
No use experimenting with this type of purchase when we have him in this forum as a resource!

It might work, but I have a feeling it wont provide a good seal.

Sour Deez,
Top Bottom