mitchgo

Vitolo said:
My 7th floor order arrived today!

great vid Vitolo. very helpful.

i have a couple q's if you don't mind me picking yr brain:

1. i recently got a water filter, which i like, but it isn't providing as much relief from lung irritation as i'd hoped. (i have allergies and this time of year, for some reason, vaping is much more irritating than other times of the year). Do you find/think the vapor cooler is a major improvement wrt cooling/lung issues than a small water filter?

2. you probably can't answer this but i was wondering how material the difference is between the old vapor cooler and the fatty. i'm thinking of ordering the formeer since it's only 30 bucks now, but if it sucks (no pun intended) i would rather just spend the 85 on the fatty...if that's where i'll end up anyway.

mitchgo,

Tuck

mitchgo said:
Vitolo said:
My 7th floor order arrived today!

great vid Vitolo. very helpful.

i have a couple q's if you don't mind me picking yr brain:

1. i recently got a water filter, which i like, but it isn't providing as much relief from lung irritation as i'd hoped. (i have allergies and this time of year, for some reason, vaping is much more irritating than other times of the year). Do you find/think the vapor cooler is a major improvement wrt cooling/lung issues than a small water filter?

2. you probably can't answer this but i was wondering how material the difference is between the old vapor cooler and the fatty. i'm thinking of ordering the formeer since it's only 30 bucks now, but if it sucks (no pun intended) i would rather just spend the 85 on the fatty...if that's where i'll end up anyway.

Let me suggest drinking warm tea sweetened with honey (local if you can get it). It will help with your throat irritation. And supposedly, local honey will help you build up immunity for pollen allergies.

And I'm trying to make the same decision on the vapor tamer. I'm going to have to look for some more vapor tamer videos. I want to see one used with a bong.

Vito - are you going to use the vapor tamer with your new bong?

Tuck,

Sour Deez

I never tried it myself, but I heard of warm liquid in the filter will make smoke a smoother hit, id assume it would work with vapor.

Sour Deez,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I am going to use the Tamer in conjunction with a bong. I will fist just use the water adapters... then will use water adapters and the tamer all at once.
The regular Vaper Tamer was reduced because it has been discontinued. They found that it did not stay cold long enough. Unfortunately I have nothing to compare with as I only tried the Fatty one. They did tell me frankly that after they made the Fatty one, that users were so happy with it, that this also led them to discontinue the regular sized "tamer".
(sure hope this helps!)

Vitolo,

chimpybits

Hi all,
- special hi to Vitolo. Good to hear that you are experimenting and having fun with your new setup.

I just wanted to report back on my experience with the SSV.

Up until a couple of days ago I was somewhat happy. A couple of days ago I bought the MFLB from a local headship and visited my two smoking friends for a test drive. I think we all found the little MFLB more reliable and fun than the SSV.

The biggest issue I'm finding with the SSV is inconsistency. We'll get a few good hits, then a few duds. It doesn't seem to matter what I set the temp at, draw strength or grind. I often find that I'm stirring the herb, turning the wand, drawing really slow, turning up the temp and getting little to nothing. Then it will be good for a few hits. The heating element always looks to correctly reflect my dial setting (i.e. maintains a good orange colour). With the SSV my friends get frustrated when they don't get hits and how long the sessions are, and really I can't see that they are doing anything wrong. I was trying to be patient with the SSV factoring in a learning curve and accepting the time and difficulty getting well vaked with it, but after getting easily vaked with the mflb, I'm more inclined to wonder if something is wrong with it.

The MFLB was easy and reliable for all 3 or us noobs. Reliable hits and one can take the ABV much darker than the SSV. Admittedly, I realized that it is pretty easy to combust the herb with this little unit, but I feel I can easily get the hang of the MFLB so that I can take the ABV to whatever point I like. We had a couple of fun sessions - both times with the 2 stock batteries and all 3 of us readily feeling fine.

The other issue with the SSV is there is no way to take the herb past a certain point of darkness. Now I wouldn't describe this darkness as very dark - more of an orangey, greeny, brown. It doesn't matter if I crank my dial up (even up to 4.30), re-grind or whatever. It just goes no further. Now mostly this is fine as I suspect the ABV is fairly dark and it's nice that it won't combust, but it is worrisome in that I thought the SSV could take it to combustion or near.

There is one physical flaw that it does have - a quite skewed heating element. Should I send my SSV back? Is there anyone in Vancouver that wants to test drive it with me? Thoughts in general ...
EDIT: Here is a pic showing my skewed heating element:
img0068wu.jpg

chimpybits,

Vitolo

Vaporist
chimpybits.. I am surprised indeed.
The heating elements are always skewed. they are also not attached "stiffly", to allow flexibility when replacing the heater cover.
Turn the unit off.. and let it cool. Inspect the heater cover to be sure there are no cracks.
Your situation surprised me because most of the time, it is the MFLB that is tricky for 1st timers, and the SSV the sure shot!
The weed one uses also will have ALOT to do with finishing color.
Some weed vapes out faster than others.
some never get past tan...
I can finish some weed in 2 pulls, and the same amount of another may take ten pulls!
Before you send it back for service----
look at the HC, to verify there are no cracks,and thet it is firmly seated (Turn unit off and cool)
try at least 3 different strains of herb. commercial weed wont vape the same as medicinal grade weed...
** Are you getting large amounts of visible vapor?
you say you you are up past 3 on the dial.... and the wand is standard... and HC is standard too?
If you have checked ALL of this... and all IS the case (this includes a sample of different weed)....
and the SSV has not "wowed" you... you should call 7th floor.
Be gentle, and not a "frustrated customer".. and let them know that you think your unit may not be getting hot enough.
Be sure to eliminate the obvious that I spoke of before calling.
The people at 7th Floor will be very helpful.
(I have never once gone past 1 on the dial)
Edit:
The HC looks good ... at least in the picture
!

Vitolo,

max

Out to lunch
The other issue with the SSV is there is no way to take the herb past a certain point of darkness. Now I wouldn't describe this darkness as very dark - more of an orangey, greeny, brown.
I just browsed your post but this alone says that your unit has a problem. This vape should easily turn your herb black at a high temp setting. Unlike some models, the upper temp limit is very high. Inconsistent performance should also not be an issue with this vape.

max,

chimpybits

Thanks Vitolo,
hmm OK the ceramic part being skewed is not an issue.

I'll inspect the heater cover later today when at home. It is standard as is the wand.

I've tried a couple of strains of weed - both quite dry (and the SSV - MFLB comparison is based on the same weed). I am getting pretty large vapour (though certainly nothing like what you are easily getting in your most recently posted video). The MFLB must be getting more as I get through the weed faster (with darker resulting duff) and cough more (though I get that the shorter path is implicated). I start at noon, then gradually turn up to around 2.30 or maybe 3 (as I've found that going beyond this doesn't make much difference).

I like your recommended approach with 7th floor. You know what they say about honey and vinegar.

chimpybits,

chimpybits

shit OK. Thanks max. Looks like I have to go through the hassle of returning it. Good thing I have my little wood sweetheart to get me through.

chimpybits,

Sour Deez

@chimpybits: This may sound like a dumb question, but does your heater cover have a hole for airflow? When i recieved mine, it didnt have this hole and i couldent get good hits and wasnt satisfied at all. So i inspected it and noticed that. Once I got the new one it was game on.

Sour Deez,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Sour Deez said:
@chimpybits: This may sound like a dumb question, but does your heater cover have a hole for airflow? When i recieved mine, it didnt have this hole and i couldent get good hits and wasnt satisfied at all. So i inspected it and noticed that. Once I got the new one it was game on.
Good point!

Vitolo,

chimpybits

Sour Deez said:
@chimpybits: This may sound like a dumb question, but does your heater cover have a hole for airflow?
I'll check in a few hours. I believe it does though.

chimpybits,

chimpybits

OK, I checked out the HC and all is fine - airflow hole where there should be, no cracks, and firmly seated.

The only thing not great is a pinch of herb in there - probably from the first day or two that I was figuring it out.

Well I guess I'll be taking it back.
Thanks for your help.

chimpybits,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Try experimenting with your draw speed too.

On a few occasions it's seemed as if I can't get any good hits when I start vapeing, so I turn it up more and more with it still not producing big clouds, until I finally realise that I was breathing in too slow to start with. Then, with it turned up too much, I'll breathe in faster (certainly quicker than you do with the MFLB) and get an enormous hit out of nowhere, and then have to turn it back down to a normal starting point around 12.

There definitely is a learning curve with the SSV. As Vito said every bud will vape at different temps and with different results, but in general there should only be about 4 initial hits without much vapour, while the terpenes etc are evaporated, until it starts producing milky hits.

wilf789,

weedemon

enthusiast
very surprising that you are not happy with your ssv, i think you have a faulty unit too! the fact you can't toast your herb in ths ssv is really surprising, my friends combust on me pretty much at least once before they get the draw speed down and understand how to use it.

and the mflb should be the one with the steeper learning curve. really glad to hear you guys like it though! it's a hell of a unit! :p

Good luck on your ssv! i hope they replace it for ya so you cam get a true ssv experience!

weedemon,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
Sour Deez said:

yes, that is a definite defect. That hole is for air intake, without it you will never get satisfying hits or any air to breathe haha

Very weird that they let that get by.. :lol:

aesthyrian,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Also, how much are you packing into your wand?

If you are packing MFLB sized pinches in your wand, I would imagine that its tougher to get it 'done' - the SSV LOVES packs of the larger persuasion. (But not TOO big cause its burn city then) I like to pack mine 1/3-1/2 full and pack it down with the marble pick a little. Trying to use just enough to cover the screen tends to leave me wanting more out of my hits.

AGBeer,

ManFlies352

I am shocked with chimpybits' experience with the SSV. Please check your draw speed, your bowl pack-size, and experiment with the temperature. I've had nothing but massive hits since switching to the standard setup and it's been VERY consistent

ManFlies352,

chimpybits

Thanks all for your help, but I'm pretty resigned to returning it. I've spent long enough experimenting with bowl size, grind, temperature, draw speed, etc. Honestly, I don't want to get further caught up in troubleshooting as I need a break from the weed.

I'll be returning it tomorrow. I've managed to extract some of the material from within the HC (by inhaling via a straw inserted into the intake hole). There is still some remaining and I suppose I should remove the HC to get at it, but honestly I'm not good at this kind of delicate manual operation and am worried I'll break it and void my warranty. So, I plan to just return it as is.

chimpybits,

Vitolo

Vaporist
chimpybits... they will do right by you.
You will be pleased also when you get your vape. Waiting is intense, but we wait with you!

Vitolo,

Sour Deez

max said:
Very weird that they let that get by
The QC guy was probably stoned :ko:
Thats what I figured lol. Its just weird how its a perfectly made SGG HC just with no hole.

They sent the new one out the same day I contacted them so its all good.

Sour Deez,

zb13

Chimpy, check to make sure that the heating element is pushed up far enough. In the picture it appears to be, but when my SSV arrived it had this problem. Removing the base and pushing it up from the bottom completely solved the problem.

zb13,
Top Bottom