• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Mendohead

So, like i posted got the SSV in the mail yesterday. I am new to vaporizing, been smoking way too long... A few weeks ago, i got a PAX for my first vapo. nothin against pax, but i have been let down. bought it to be used as a daily driver, hits decently, but the hits left me wanting more, much more. and, the whole cleaning of the unit has to be done too often IMHO (matbe im too lazy?)... so, i was like fuck it, and got a SSV. im already $250 down, whats another $180. SO i scored on of 7th Floors ebay site, black unit with the tiniest little blemish (ebay store sells units with blemishes etc). i already repacked the pax back up into its box. the SSV kicks ass, my pulls have been huge and i am not left with the feeling of 'more', as i was with the pax. obviously, they are 2 different units, im not trying to compare them, but, the SSV is rockin my world. :rockon: I need to get some of my older glass and give a go through some H2O filtration. later today, mos def.

The SSV kicks my ass and i think im in love. what to do with the pax? sell or keep for those inconspicuous times? (pax is way stealth)

One last thing for my ramble of a post, does the base come off the SSV. I wanna paint the base. looks like theres just a couple of screws in the bottom of it, i am presuming those are holding it on. what say you good peoples?

Mendohead,

Tweek

I agree with Vito. I have the SSV at home, and love having the Pax as well. If you don't need the extra funds, play with it a bit more, it's a great little unit to compliment the SSV (at least I think so)

Mendohead

I very well may end up keeping the pax...but reclaiming some of the 250 would also be nice, i always need extra funds...im obv. conflicted. plus, i need what like 60 posts to get an add for sale up on here...lol.. may take a while...

any ideas on the base removal?

Mendohead,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I feel I need three "niches" filled minimum in vaporizers.

Stationary Work Horse/Daily Driver- Power Hitter (My SSV is this for me)
Aesthetically pleasing mobile room to room heavy hitter (I like my "Zaps", Toasty Top/Wychwood..)
Portable to use in any location (Iolite/Solo/No2/MFLB /Pax/Inhalater etc)
The portable to me falls into 2 categories.
Instant use
Full session on the move

If I needed to I could make my 3 niches into 2.. solid and portable....
Thank Heaven I do not have to limit that!

Melizzard

One last thing for my ramble of a post, does the base come off the SSV. I wanna paint the base. looks like theres just a couple of screws in the bottom of it, i am presuming those are holding it on. what say you good peoples?

Absolutely. You can order any color base and change it out for a quick facelift.

Xxoo
Mel

Melizzard,
Reactions: Mendohead

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Well I got my pretty ssv and I do like it a lot. I still need to figure some stuff out but I love the unrestricted draw. For me that is one of the most important things. The unit is a bit dangerous since you can just use it non stop which I did last night. I eventually did switch to my INH but that was after hours.

I am having an issue with the harshness and trying to get the right temp and draw speed to alleviate it.

@nycdeisel is that really true that the tubing makes the harshness? Is the tubing from carr thick and hard to deal with? I was going to buy some but I have found that the tubing from the ssv and another piece I got from a vapir someone gave me is nice and soft and easy to deal with. I bought the water adapter from Thermovape which I also didn't like because of the stiffness and the powdery substance on it. I also didn't like that it wasn't clear so I can see. I am now leaning towards color but that isn't the point. I was going to order turquoise tubing to match the ssv but if you think that is the cause of the harshness I won't.

Dreamerr,

Vitolo

Vaporist
There are great water tools that easily connect to your SSV if you have any type of bong... The waterpipe becomes the mouthpiece~
DSC00132.jpg

Vitolo,
Reactions: Tweek

Nycdeisel

It seemed to be the case for me. I am not like most though, im very very sensitive.
To be clear, the tubing the SSV and DBV come with are plastic, not silicone like that which can be ordered from McMaster. The tubing I ordered from them was the "Soft"(they have different hardnesses for the high temp silicone, the soft is nice and soft, softer then the plastic tubing included with the kits, though its not clear like the plastic, and Im really one who likes to visualize it and see the vapor, that hasnt been an issue for me. However, I am a waterpipe vaporist ;) though even using it by itself its not bothersome to not have totally clear tubing. The taste and smell of the silicone is much much more neutral,and does not impart the familiar plastic taste as plastic tubing can. So less chemicals tainting the vapor.
I know some will not agree with me here, but we can agree wot disagree here :)

The *Soft* High Temperature Silicone tubing I bought definitely does not have any coating, though as a important safety note you want to wash ANY AND ALL new tools and parts that can be washed, such as the tubing. A good wash with a pure organic soap and a good rinse and let it totally dry will be perfect to hook up to your 7th Floor unit, and should taste and feel much fresher. This helped me to reclaim my love for my Da Buddha, which had been sitting out on the sidelines for quite a while up until recently.

Well I got my pretty ssv and I do like it a lot. I still need to figure some stuff out but I love the unrestricted draw. For me that is one of the most important things. The unit is a bit dangerous since you can just use it non stop which I did last night. I eventually did switch to my INH but that was after hours.

I am having an issue with the harshness and trying to get the right temp and draw speed to alleviate it.

@nycdeisel is that really true that the tubing makes the harshness? Is the tubing from carr thick and hard to deal with? I was going to buy some but I have found that the tubing from the ssv and another piece I got from a vapir someone gave me is nice and soft and easy to deal with. I bought the water adapter from Thermovape which I also didn't like because of the stiffness and the powdery substance on it. I also didn't like that it wasn't clear so I can see. I am now leaning towards color but that isn't the point. I was going to order turquoise tubing to match the ssv but if you think that is the cause of the harshness I won't.

There are great water tools that easily connect to your SSV if you have any type of bong... The waterpipe becomes the mouthpiece~
DSC00132.jpg

Great photo! :) And the oils and aroma top, love em!
and mmmmmmmmm, moist vapors! ;)

Nycdeisel,
Reactions: Vitolo

Greg Martin

Hello everyone!
This is my first post on FuckCombustion, but I am in no way new to the SSV/Vaporization in general. I've been having a problem lately and have had trouble finding a solution. My SSV's knob seems to have just gotten loose. The dial moves but getting a click is rather difficult/impossible. It still heats up accurately, but the start of the heat gauge is always different which makes finding that perfect temperature rather impossible. Now I see there is a spot I could wedge a glasses screwdriver in to tighten it, but it didn't seem to do anything when I tried. There is also a nut (as if you all don't know these things already...) underneath this and was wondering if that's the ticket to getting it tight again. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Also, I know my username is my name... 0 Fucks given...:p
Peace!

Greg Martin,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
0 Fucks given...:p

and-not-a-single-fuck-was-given-that-day_289031.jpg
:lol:
If you take the glass knob off, is the metal part that inserts into the knob 2 semi-circles with a bit of a gap between them?​
if so, you should be able to carefully widen that gap a bit, which should make the glass stop spinning freely on the dial.​
If the dial itself (without the glass knob) spins freely, I'm not sure, you might need to get it fixed by 7th floor :shrug:

Frederick McGuire,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I think that you may have more than one problem....
the first can be resolved as Frederick McGuire suggests....
then--->
You may have a second issue. A "sqwishy switch". This would be resolved by tightening that nut that you see below the knob... sometimes the mechanism itself gets to turn a bit if not tight (very rare!)
I personally have only used the on/off switch 5-6 times in 3 years.
I lower the heat to lowest (I stop short of clicking it off) and I raise it to noon when I wake.
The weak link in any device is the switch.... so I don't use it!

Greg Martin

It doesn't, and yes that was what I needed, I was just too timid my first few tries in putting force behind it. I've seen pictures of one of the semicircles broken off, rendering the beautiful knob useless (eh, maybe a glorified awe-inspiring high object...)

Nycdeisel

Good post, and great tip about the switch. Thats what I do with my DBV... Now if only i could use the LSV if that device finds a new home. Oh well, loving my DBV as much as ever! and not using the switch! ;)
I think that you may have more than one problem....
the first can be resolved as Frederick McGuire suggests....
then--->
You may have a second issue. A "sqwishy switch". This would be resolved by tightening that nut that you see below the knob... sometimes the mechanism itself gets to turn a bit if not tight (very rare!)
I personally have only used the on/off switch 5-6 times in 3 years.
I lower the heat to lowest (I stop short of clicking it off) and I raise it to noon when I wake.
The weak link in any device is the switch.... so I don't use it!

Nycdeisel,

Vitolo

Vaporist
If "one" is compulsively uneasy with leaving something "turned on".. then unplugging is a good alternative... above using the switch.
I leave mine on but on low power so that it can get warmer fast.
Unplugging , while saving the switch... brings you back to a period of waiting, as the
dead cold element starts itself up again.

Intros..I was on this forum a few years back. I have continued to vape away from the forum. Still love vaping.. since that time I have got two MFLB(sold one) and recently added a Silver Surfer to my stable for my Birthday.

I hae always wanted one for years but never got one as they was out of my price range...as luck would have it, I found a nice used one I bought. I do love the thing. I don't use it as much as the MFLB though..I believe this is from unfamiliarity. It is a very powerful unit...while the MFLB has one temp(I believe) and the previous vape, A MyrtleZap also was one temp..this one has a wide range of temps...and I want to use them all...

so I have tried to search the forum(which is a lot of reading) and I am not sure what to search for to gain knowledge..

these might be noob questions for this unit but bear with me..

first the dial, knob, switch, what ever it is called....when putting it on...where should the level indicator be point when the unit is off.. I have heard of using the clock face reference and heard of turning it to 1230 to 1 o clock...but not sure where to start...I started the indicator on the six position thinking that was the logical choice given the frame of reference I had... (turn it of 50% at the 1230 to 1 oclock position)....is that a correct answer??

next is...where are some comfortable settings...I turn it to the 1230 position sometime 3 position...sometimes I fill it fill(the whip) and having it that high has made it combust a bit...i am unsure if it is too close to the heat source or it is so full that air cant pass through sufficiently enough and it sets it on fire..fire bad!

I want to be able to set the dial for different effects...A)pain relief...b)relaxing high...c) creative high...I guess you could say I am very scientific in vaping...

next is the question of the hose needed for the whip...I got the unit but had no hose to it so I took the pieces to the hardware store and they matched it up but the hose is quite stiff..it works but I was thinking something more flexible for it.

so I guess if there is some sort of noob user guide..I looked on 7th floor site but didn't see any instructions for it...so I turn to the people that use it most..

Permanent_Vapecation,

Mendohead

Intros..I was on this forum a few years back. I have continued to vape away from the forum. Still love vaping.. since that time I have got two MFLB(sold one) and recently added a Silver Surfer to my stable for my Birthday.

I hae always wanted one for years but never got one as they was out of my price range...as luck would have it, I found a nice used one I bought. I do love the thing. I don't use it as much as the MFLB though..I believe this is from unfamiliarity. It is a very powerful unit...while the MFLB has one temp(I believe) and the previous vape, A MyrtleZap also was one temp..this one has a wide range of temps...and I want to use them all...

so I have tried to search the forum(which is a lot of reading) and I am not sure what to search for to gain knowledge..

these might be noob questions for this unit but bear with me..

first the dial, knob, switch, what ever it is called....when putting it on...where should the level indicator be point when the unit is off.. I have heard of using the clock face reference and heard of turning it to 1230 to 1 o clock...but not sure where to start...I started the indicator on the six position thinking that was the logical choice given the frame of reference I had... (turn it of 50% at the 1230 to 1 oclock position)....is that a correct answer??

next is...where are some comfortable settings...I turn it to the 1230 position sometime 3 position...sometimes I fill it fill(the whip) and having it that high has made it combust a bit...i am unsure if it is too close to the heat source or it is so full that air cant pass through sufficiently enough and it sets it on fire..fire bad!

I want to be able to set the dial for different effects...A)pain relief...b)relaxing high...c) creative high...I guess you could say I am very scientific in vaping...

next is the question of the hose needed for the whip...I got the unit but had no hose to it so I took the pieces to the hardware store and they matched it up but the hose is quite stiff..it works but I was thinking something more flexible for it.

so I guess if there is some sort of noob user guide..I looked on 7th floor site but didn't see any instructions for it...so I turn to the people that use it most..

So i have had mine for only a week, lol, and so this is really just my 2cents. hopefully the longtime users will chime in too.

On mine, the off point is set at about 7 oclock or so, all the way on is at about 5 oclock or so. i turn it up to about 1 oclock or so for vapin' herb. maybe 2:30 or so when i vape more hash riddled herb. I have also noticed a bit darker looking avb once or twice, after the first hit or two... looks close to combustion. i had a pretty full bull, and i think the temp was a smidge high and i know i was drawing a lil slow. the temp i was at needed a faster draw so the weed didnt get to hot (as from drawing on it too slowly)...I'm presuming. You really just gotta mess around and try different temps with different kinds of weed and hash etc... screw the hardware store tubing. i imagine its pretty plasticy. order some high temp silicone tubing off the net. check this thread:

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/whip-tubing-all-your-questions-answered.3311/

should answer your questions on the tubing and more. Been loving the SSV.. still new to it and figuring it all out, but mosdef enjoying the ride.

Mendohead,

MotoPsycho

If your herbs are browning on the first or second hit, your vape is set too high. I never load more than 1/2" high , and my bowls are usually around 1/4". If you load too way much it will brown way too quickly, and restrict the airflow where the hits won't be as good. You could have two or three much tastier bowls , or one not very tasty bowl, your choice:brow:. I turned my knob all the way off, removed it, and put it back on straight down(6 O'clock), so that there was less confusion about my temp setting. I personally like to leave my temperature knob the same, around twelve thirty, and adjust the temperature with my draw speed.If you want a light, stimulating, creative high i would pull moderately fast. Pull moderately slow to give a good all around high, and to finish the bowl off, i just hit it super slow, and that gets the herbs a dark chocolate brown. Hope this helps, this is just what works for me:tup:

Vitolo

Vaporist
Buy official SSV tubing.
Even the Tygon high temp tubing bought in bulk from USPlastics, although safe, is not supple.
One only save pennies on the foot by buying the generic SAFE tubing.
SSV tubing is specially formulated and it is not expensive.
It can be bought from 7th floor or any reputable dealer listed here on FC

Vitolo,

Puffers

Micro-Climate Mastermind
yeah me too.. I need to find it or get another

Just curious how you plan to use a laser pointer to read your true temp? Where would you even take your measurement from start with? Your draw speed is directly connected to your air temp, if you move air more slowly over the element it transfers more heat to your air giving you a higher temp. Draw speed, knob position, ambient air these will all factor in to give you a different vaping temperature. Short of you rigging in a fixed temperature sensor like a type k (btw a laser pointer is subject to a margin of error corrected by knowing the emmisivity of the object you are reading) sealed into the air path shortly past the wand. With notes logging knob position draw speed and ambient air temp (if you are in unconditioned space like a garage). I cant see a person getting actual vaping temperatures that are easy to replicate. Not to kill anyone's hopes and dreams just my :2c:

I have a laser pointer and short of using it on my nail once for dabbing it stays in my tool bag....

not a laser pointer.. a laser tempreture gauge.. it shoots a laser at it and takes the tempreture . sort of high tech.. I use them in my work sometimes.. I am thinking i just might get mine and make a chart of temps to time clock positions for the ssv.. could be handy for other

Permanent_Vapecation,
Top Bottom