Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Outlaw Farmer

Stealth Mode Engaged
Wasn't thru lack of warm up time but more a dodgy connection between my DC wall wart and the PD. I don't think it was getting enough current to get fully up to temp. I did have to spend some extra bucks for a heavy duty wall unit but its worth it.

Curious enough, I owned one of these for years and labeled it as a POS cuz it hit like a tired kitten.

I knew it was working but after this post and an electrical test I found my ac adapter was only putting out intermittent power. Ah-ha.

((If, like me, U didn't already know: to check power cords set multi-meter to DC 20v or higher, put red probe inside jack, black against outside. Reading should be within a few numbers of the adapters output rating typed on it's label. About 12v for most vapes)) Mine was putting out under 1volt most the time I tested it. What's curious is that the PD got pretty darn hot at an idle even tho it was starving for power.

Morale of the story is that if a fellow newb searches and finds this post later know that a weak vape could VERY WELL be a weak cord.

Good nuff, I don't need a new desktop vape now.
Thanx FC.

Shit, now I do need a cheapo bubbler.

I bought a powersupply that indicates that it can withstand a continuous output power short for very cheap [Link involves multiple companies at various prices, I went for the one priced at $3.24].

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JRGOCM/ref=pe_175190_21431760_C1_cs_sce_3p_dp_1

Its been working so far, although for quite a while it was giving off an almost-burnt electronic smell which is going away... but need to give this time to see if it lasts or whether the smell was warning me that it wasn't liking this continuous near-1 amp output. The unit is very small so it does get warm to the touch [significant but comfortable warmth at a level that would make you sweat if you kept your hand on it].

It has a red LED light which is handy for telling if theres a problem with the wires or whether the transformer has stopped working.

I'll report back here if it fails.

These work correct?

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outlaw Farmer,

Outlaw Farmer

Stealth Mode Engaged
That particular one failed on me after a year... so I presume that burning smell was an indication that things weren't so good with this unit.

I decided to buy a couple of Jameco adapters after that...

Understood. Glad I heard that b4 I bought a 6-pack of them for dirt cheap. These are everywhere for video systems.
I'm back @jameco.com Shipping is high, but for $12 more I can maybe Not burn down my cabin-esque home.

No brainer.

Thank-ya HoneyAir.

Outlaw Farmer,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Understood. Glad I heard that b4 I bought a 6-pack of them for dirt cheap. These are everywhere for video systems.
I'm back @jameco.com Shipping is high, but for $12 more I can maybe Not burn down my cabin-esque home.

No brainer.

Thank-ya HoneyAir.

I ended up buying a total of about four of those from Jameco over the course of about three years. They consistently fail if left on all the time like I did, but not so much that I felt ripped off.

stickstones,

Luv2Vape

My Jameco adapter that came with my PD failed recently as well, after over 3.5 years of being on almost 24/7. Right now I'm using an adapter from a retired Linksys WRT54GL wireless router. It seems to work just as well but is it safe?
gt34.jpg

Luv2Vape,

PDwasmy1st

I ended up buying a total of about four of those from Jameco over the course of about three years. They consistently fail if left on all the time like I did, but not so much that I felt ripped off.

I bought 4 in the space of 1 year , i havnt found 1 adaptor that worked longer than 6 months that cost me £15, i gave upon the pd for this reason.

PDwasmy1st,

max

Out to lunch
I've got several Jameco adapters (same as the ones that came with the PD) that have been working for years now. Also use 'em with zaps. They hold up fine as long as I tape the the connector (that plugs into the vape) and several inches of the cord to prevent the sharp bend in the cord (and inevitable inside break) that otherwise results.

max,
Reactions: Vitolo

Outlaw Farmer

Stealth Mode Engaged
That's cool. When everyone lines up and sounds off I see a distinct pattern w.these things. Most def helps me decide.

I had planned on using this PD until crumbled into dust. Never occurred to me that I should stock up on adapters.

My unit is on the back deck 3-seasons a year. Power is 24/7 for me also. It gets more UV and moisture than it probably should. I don't see anything any heavier duty on a search. Course the transformer fails it seems so even a waterproof leader wouldn't make any difference there.

Oh well. Wall adapters are a helluva a lot cheaper than a new plug in vape. It'll have to work for now..

I've got several Jameco adapters (same as the ones that came with the PD) that have been working for years now. Also use 'em with zaps. They hold up fine as long as I tape the the connector (that plugs into the vape) and several inches of the cord to prevent the sharp bend in the cord (and inevitable inside break) that otherwise results.

I do the tape thing too, but it still shorted out rite there. I think mine was defective out of the box tho.
Good advice imo. Yours on all the time I wonder? I bet it is. Maybe Lady Luck will take pity on my Po Ass and my next one will serve for years.

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Outlaw Farmer,

lwien

Never occurred to me that I should stock up on adapters.

From my experience, you don't have to stock up on adapters. My original PD still runs on it's original adapter and it has been running flawlessly for at least over 4 years.

lwien,

Outlaw Farmer

Stealth Mode Engaged
From my experience, you don't have to stock up on adapters. My original PD still runs on it's original adapter and it has been running flawlessly for at least over 4 years.
Yes, but the current issue has been this is my only good vape atm. So if it goes down again (like a few posters have already suffered) all I have are my old bongs. :puke:

In my situation I think 2adapters are going to be the cure.
But now that you've said it, mine'll probably last 10yrs+ or something outrageous =-)

Outlaw Farmer,

HoneyAir

My Jameco adapter that came with my PD failed recently as well, after over 3.5 years of being on almost 24/7. Right now I'm using an adapter from a retired Linksys WRT54GL wireless router. It seems to work just as well but is it safe?

It is safe. The requirement is to have at least 1amp/1000mA capacity. If it says 1.2A or higher it works just as well because the amp rating is only to indicate its capacity to handle that load.

My original Jameco fried ONLY because my PD was rattling-- one of the rattles short circuited the wires and so it bubbled up and died.

The most common reason why an adapter "dies" is not the adapter dying itself, but that the cord always gets strained to the point where there is a break. I soldered the tip of my original Jameco tons of times to fix it [although its a lot easier buying that screw-on plug adapter listed earlier in this thread, no soldering required].

I did buy two Jamecos because of the $ saved on shipping... now I have plenty of adapters if I need them.

HoneyAir,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
but that the cord always gets strained to the point where there is a break

yeah ... also, the constant current flow eats (dissolves?) the strands of the wire (on my vape i experience this on the negative terminal first).

Hippie Dickie,

Outlaw Farmer

Stealth Mode Engaged
Just got the cheapo vid-cam adapter in the mail. Wife ordered it unbeknownst 2me.
It puts out 12.7v ok, but the jack is cheap and fits really loose in the PD jack.
The cord is maybe 3'. Jameco is more like 6.
And the unit won't heat, so let's return that.
The original jameco keeps the unit hot enough to work but barely reads 1v (when it's not shorted out)
Grr.

Outlaw Farmer,

HoneyAir

If you aren't good at tinkering with stuff, do you know someone who is? You or the tinkerer could inspect the original Jameco for where the wire has broken (usually near the tip or at the tip), cut open the insulation, fix the break and re-solder it. Just an idea in case you're looking for the quickest way to get functional again.

underdog

shade-tree vapor engineer
Manufacturer
Just got the cheapo vid-cam adapter in the mail. Wife ordered it unbeknownst 2me.
It puts out 12.7v ok, but the jack is cheap and fits really loose in the PD jack.
The cord is maybe 3'. Jameco is more like 6.
And the unit won't heat, so let's return that.
The original jameco keeps the unit hot enough to work but barely reads 1v (when it's not shorted out)
Grr.

If it heats then it's outputting more than 1v.. if we're talking about a Jameco 10081 then make sure your multimeter is on AC voltage instead of DC as that's what that model is. Many multimeters (2 of my 3) will show <1v when trying to measure those on a DC setting. :peace:

Outlaw Farmer

Stealth Mode Engaged
If it heats then it's outputting more than 1v.. if we're talking about a Jameco 10081 then make sure your multimeter is on AC voltage instead of DC as that's what that model is. Many multimeters (2 of my 3) will show <1v when trying to measure those on a DC setting. :peace:

:doh:

Yes. That's the issue.

:bowdown:

EDIT-
If you aren't good at tinkering with stuff, do you know someone who is?

lol, actually I am ok. I just didn't read all the information.

My wife is not surprised.

So new one is so cheap the connection is dodgy (very bad imo) The old one has a short. Bout ready to gut thing thing and consider wiring it direct

Last edited:
Outlaw Farmer,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I forgot how great this vape is and how we all used to live in this thread!

After giving that carb tube a full on cleaning and screen replacement it is humming along just fine. This used to be my daily driver all day every day and now I remember why. The ultimate in efficiency simply because it slows me down with its small bowl size.

And no wonder it matters so much to me that my vape is always on...I can pop in and out to hit one stem in a commercial break. I'm experimenting with Luchiano's mantra of 'slowly ramping up' with great success!

If you've got a PD, dust it off and give it a go again!

Top Bottom