Discontinued Purple-Days Vaporizer

Luv2Vape

It's always plugged in waiting for me or heating aromatic oil when I'm not vaping =D
z339.jpg

PDwasmy1st

I've got several Jameco adapters (same as the ones that came with the PD) that have been working for years now. Also use 'em with zaps. They hold up fine as long as I tape the the connector (that plugs into the vape) and several inches of the cord to prevent the sharp bend in the cord (and inevitable inside break) that otherwise results.
My 1 that came with it necer worked , seems i was unfortunate.

PDwasmy1st,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I was using this with a bong for the first time...nice!

This time around I am packing much less in the stem. I used to pack it pretty full and tight. Now it's much looser and not as full. I have gone from four hits to one per stem, which makes for faster sessions and more efficiency.

Tweek

I was using this with a bong for the first time...nice!

This time around I am packing much less in the stem. I used to pack it pretty full and tight. Now it's much looser and not as full. I have gone from four hits to one per stem, which makes for faster sessions and more efficiency.

I still have the little stubby stems they made for this purpose. Held onto them when I gave my PD away.

Tweek,

OnlyHuman

I am confused, the websites that the OP posted are all invalid? Where can I find out more about where to buy these from etc? They should perhaps edit that first post? Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, I am seeing he is out of the business...hmmm, so I can not get my hands on these anywhere anymore?

OnlyHuman,

Tweek

I am confused, the websites that the OP posted are all invalid? Where can I find out more about where to buy these from etc? They should perhaps edit that first post? Thanks.

Edit: Nevermind, I am seeing he is out of the business...hmmm, so I can not get my hands on these anywhere anymore?

They pop up used once in awhile on the classifieds. Honestly though, they are nice from a collectors point of view, but the current logs heat up faster, and have other improvements.

I_wanted_truth

Agreed. The new log vapes improve in many ways, including a bigger bowl size. Funny that the small bowl size is why I eventually moved on, and now it is the reason I came back!

Probably worth noting that you can still use the small stems (5/16 inch diameter) in at least the Underdog and Heat Island, but can also use the wider (3/8 inch ID) stems that create bigger bowls. More versatility without a loss in efficiency.

I_wanted_truth,

Outlaw Farmer

Stealth Mode Engaged
My Jameco adapter that came with my PD failed recently as well, after over 3.5 years of being on almost 24/7. Right now I'm using an adapter from a retired Linksys WRT54GL wireless router. It seems to work just as well but is it safe?
gt34.jpg
Safe? Imo yes.

I will recommend the Jameco adapter with these units tho. I've had several cheaper adapters recently.
My non-compliance issues included a slight difference in the jacks millimeter circumference, some connections were loose.
Lol, many cords were only a couple of feet long. The jameco is closer to six.
Ac/Dc, me and 2 other ppl have crossed up this small detail, double check all settings when testing or ordering.

A multi-meter and infra-red thermo gun are my favorite diagnostic tools for these heaters.

Cheers.

Outlaw Farmer,
Reactions: HoneyAir

bussinrounds

Agreed. The new log vapes improve in many ways, including a bigger bowl size. Funny that the small bowl size is why I eventually moved on, and now it is the reason I came back!
Yea, do they improve on the efficiency ?

Cause I can pack this little pinch in the PD stem and still get a nice blast. Smaller bowl size is def a positive for me. I don't mind packing more often as I use my PD exclusively indoors and I'd rather have 1 'fresh' hit each time anyway.

bussinrounds,

Tweek

Yea, do they improve on the efficiency ?

Cause I can pack this little pinch in the PD stem and still get a nice blast. Smaller bowl size is def a positive for me. I don't mind packing more often as I use my PD exclusively indoors and I'd rather have 1 'fresh' hit each time anyway.

I don't own a newer generation, but from the folks I know that do own them, efficiency is still top notch in most of todays modern logs.

Tweek,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I find the efficiency to be the same. the difference is that you can use a bigger bowl with them...which either makes your sessions shorter or the unit less efficient depending on how you use it. Ultimately, I find the PD's efficiency strength being in the small bowl. It just won't let you blow through your weed, even if you want to. but I tested the newer units when they came out and felt I was getting the same effect for the same herb, but in a shorter time with the larger bowls.

stickstones,
Reactions: lwien

Drops

Vaporist
For newer ones, what one is closest to the PD I added a lot of rings and need to replace soon. By close I mean that the PD stems work with. Tried to order a rockzap the week they closed.

Or is there a way to make a new wood part for it? I do know someone with a wood lathe.

Drops,

Madcap79

Jack of all trades, master of none.
My PD holds it's own with my Cloud. At least imho. I know it sounds crazy. I'm proud to own one. I'm also excited about being in line for a HI. :smug:

Madcap79,
Reactions: Luv2Vape

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
For newer ones, what one is closest to the PD I added a lot of rings and need to replace soon. By close I mean that the PD stems work with. Tried to order a rockzap the week they closed.

Or is there a way to make a new wood part for it? I do know someone with a wood lathe.

Ask Dave from Underdog. I think the PD stems will fit in the newest version.

Magic9,

ThirdGunman

I'm currently in the process of fixing my 3+ year old pd. I shimmed the larger piece of ss tubing that sits against the wood with a few strips of very thin steel, and then added the extra retaining rings. It seems to be holding strong. I've also found that the reseating tool is made out of a softer wood so eventually it molds to the rings and ends up only seating the rings so far. I've found that tapping the rings with a punch helps secure it even better.

I'm no expert, but while breaking my pd down and rebuilding it I've realized that if you wanted to change the housing all it would need is a piece of wood (properly dried) and a hole drill bit in a drill press. I believe the only hole that really matters is the top one and I believe it's 1 inch :-\ That's my 2 cents :-)

Drops

Vaporist
I'm currently in the process of fixing my 3+ year old pd. I shimmed the larger piece of ss tubing that sits against the wood with a few strips of very thin steel, and then added the extra retaining rings. It seems to be holding strong. I've also found that the reseating tool is made out of a softer wood so eventually it molds to the rings and ends up only seating the rings so far. I've found that tapping the rings with a punch helps secure it even better.

I'm no expert, but while breaking my pd down and rebuilding it I've realized that if you wanted to change the housing all it would need is a piece of wood (properly dried) and a hole drill bit in a drill press. I believe the only hole that really matters is the top one and I believe it's 1 inch :-\ That's my 2 cents :-)
Thanks, any pics of how you did it?

Drops,

JJ420

chillin on the couch, sippin off a 22 ounce.
My PD holds it's own with my Cloud. At least imho. I know it sounds crazy. I'm proud to own one. :smug:

No, you're absolutely not crazy for thinking that. The PD holds its own and has its place. I got mine along with a beautiful custom glass teardrop stem w/ SS tip. It easily capable of throwing out large clouds and getting me super high... but its magic lies in being able to accurately dose. Hard to go overboard since the experience is measured by loading up stem after stem. I use mine every day when I get up. One stem followed by a latte and I'm absolutely golden, ready to go out and face the day. I've tried two stems in the morning for a week and that was nearly too much.. well not really for me to handle but my eyes would start to look high.
My point is that the PD remains a great delivery method for small, measured dosages. I'd say nothing else comes close to it in that sense. Flavor wise it's off the charts too but ultimately is a chore if you're looking to get really stoned. I mean six or seven stems is a lot of work and time involved loading, vaping, and unloading.

Last edited:

ThirdGunman

Thanks, any pics of how you did it?[/quote

Ha, I did actually take a few shots of the breakdown...

The bottom is a real pain, and I lack a bunch of tools, but I started by trying to razor blade off the leather. I quickly realized that the leather was almost impossible to salvage so I gave up on that and started ripping and scraping...
IMAG0759_zpsaa0e668c.jpg

Then sanded off the rest of the glued on leather and started breaking through the wood glue with an exacto knife....

IMAG0763_zps442b5f8d.jpg

Tom clearly never meant for this thing to come apart, and I was a little OCD about it so it took me forever, but I'm sure with the proper tools this this thing could be opened up fairly quickly. After getting through most of the wood glue I realized that part of this bottom plug was more solid than the rest and stated prying at it softly (you might be able to see that the part opposite the plug was actually connected and luckily broke off clean since I had weakened it by digging through the glue). Eventually it popped off...

IMAG0768_zps75463c0e.jpg

After that tedious process, I broke down the top. Here's an okay pic of the cracking that 3+ years of constant heat caused, and also my makeshift tool collection that I used to dismantle the PD...

IMAG0775_zps950ead04.jpg

Sorry, I don't have much to show for replacing the resistor and reassembly since I got in a little too much of a hurry. Basically it just involved unsoldering the wires that connect to the jack and redoing it just as Tom had done. You might notice in the next pic some pieces of bent metal that I originally tried to shim the larger piece of SS tubing with. I gave up on those larger pieces and went with roughly 1/8" strips (I think 3 or 4, not sure of the gauge, but whatever works as long as its snug) and surrounded the tubing. This next pic is everything that was needed to replace the resistor and then reassemble...

IMAG0821_zpsc1d5ff7d.jpg

It's back to vapeing like a champ, and the core feels crazy solid when hot and when cold. I haven't decided how to seal the bottom back up yet since I would kind of like it to be easier to take apart in the future, so for now I have a piece of cork cut out to keep the air flow only coming from the top like it should.

Sorry for the huge post, but that's what it takes I guess :-)

Last edited:
Top Bottom