Portables...

max

Out to lunch
The Vapor Bat is designed to be used with a car lighter, the Ubie with a cig lighter.

Vapor Bat-
"Portable Vapor System for the Car. Uses car lighter as heat source. Extraction temperature is adjusted by altering the distance of the bowl to the end of the intake "slider" style."

max,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I wouldn't consider the vapor bat as portable as the ubie. You need a car for the Vapor Bat, or somewhere to plug in a car lighter. It is still reliant upon an electric not so portable plug in device. The Ubie just needs a lighter to heat the end of the glass.

DevoTheStrange,

MikRoOrganix

Erlhead!
The VaporBat looks like thicker glass to me, however, if I repeatedly run my car ciggy lighter, it causes the plastic surrounding the receptacle to melt! I have heard this bat burns/cherries easily, but have not tried it. Than again I have heard that about the Ubie too and just yesterday it happened to me for the first time, I was quite careless with the flame. There are three TINY airholes in the end of the Ubie to suck hot air (actually needed for the piece to work at all, you dont have to suck right off the flame you can heat the glass) and I got the flame in one of the holes.

I got my Ubie from the link listed above americansmokeless. I find it's more about heating the glass than inhaling the hot air, although both methods work.

MikRoOrganix,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
The only reason I brought up the vapor bat was because on the Ubie site I saw somewhere on there that their product was patented , as well is the vapor bat. Reality is they are both glass tubes inside a glass tube , irregardless of what the heat source is that you chose to use . Im sure you can use a torch with a vapor bat rather than a car lighter although using a car lighter is how they are promoting it . I didnt realize that changing an external factor such as heat source , constituted a new patent , physical they are both the same with the exception that vapor bat is heavier glass . Not trying to be a shit and stir things up , just trying to weed through the reality and the bullshit of who are the true innovators and who is just riding the wave any way they can to make money in the vaporization world. :2c:

Samsquanch,

MikRoOrganix

Erlhead!
Sam sorry I didn't mean to imply one was better than the other, just trying to list their different characteristics. For example, the vapor bat, isn't it completely open on the end you heat? Designed to be pressed against a car cigarette lighter? My Ubie is totally closed on the end you heat (except for three tiny airholes), being designed to use with a lighter. I'm not really sure mine would work with a car ciggy lighter, and vice versa. I'm really glad we have someone who has used both though!! Thanks for the chat and peace.

MikRoOrganix,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Samsquanch said:
The only reason I brought up the vapor bat was because on the Ubie site I saw somewhere on there that their product was patented , as well is the vapor bat. Reality is they are both glass tubes inside a glass tube , irregardless of what the heat source is that you chose to use . Im sure you can use a torch with a vapor bat rather than a car lighter although using a car lighter is how they are promoting it . I didnt realize that changing an external factor such as heat source , constituted a new patent , physical they are both the same with the exception that vapor bat is heavier glass . Not trying to be a shit and stir things up , just trying to weed through the reality and the bullshit of who are the true innovators and who is just riding the wave any way they can to make money in the vaporization world. :2c:
Sam, with all due respect, you are incorrect in this area. The way the two vapes function are TOTALLY different which is why each were granted their own individual patents.

The Vaporbat was designed to be used with a cig lighter from a car, and the Ubie with a standard lighter.

You cannot use the Vaporbat with a lighter, otherwise you will be combusting your herb.

With the Ubie, you are lighting the outside of the glass to heat it to vaporization temperatures and then sucking air through. You cannot use a cig lighter from the car to achieve vaporization with the ubie.

Physically, they may look similar, but the way they work is substantially different.

stonemonkey55,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
Right on , thanks for the input guys , especially about the ends , just playing devils advocate a bit , I've physically examined a vapor bat but not an ubie before so its good to know . My idea of portable is an iolite but i will admit to experimenting with some glass before my first actual vape purchase.

Samsquanch,

MikRoOrganix

Erlhead!
Where can I buy medical grade tubing or a whip? I was thinking it would be fun to put the Ubie in the end of a whip and then you could hold it down in your lap while you lit the lighter. Crack pipe look is gone!

MikRoOrganix,

max

Out to lunch
Medical grade tubing is overkill. You can find food grade or silicone (Silcon brand is affordable) at usplastic.com.

max,

MikRoOrganix

Erlhead!
Thanks Max I was able to find the tubing thread. I appreciate the summary as it was a lot of reading lol.

I had an old hot-plate vape laying around so I took the tubing from that, and made a Ubie vape-bong! Works pretty good, I can get 4 big rips from a tiny bowl. If I overcook the buds just a lil (brown, not black) I get massive crippling hits!

The only thing I dont like is that you need to suck pretty hard and take a big long pull to get in the proper temp zone. This was pretty much the thing I didn't like about my old e-vape (similar to aromazap, etc), lots of sucking involved.

MikRoOrganix,

jackstraw62

Low temp deadhead vaporist
heres my two cents :2c: I saw lb in the list if that means you have a launch box thats about has portable has it gets for a single person . just got to use medical grade weed. On or two hits nice Lucky I live in CA so that is not a problem. At home I use a craftsman model 27801 on 4.5 with my bong and a special bowl I found in the local head shop that accepts the gun. Not gong but works well for me. Out and about the lb is all you need. Practice does indeed make perfect.

jackstraw62,

JohnDeere

Vapman is an indirect jet-butane Swiss handmade portable (no butane inhalation).

It is extremely conservative and provides clouds once it is mastered...I have used mine for 3 full days now, mostly with my illadelph straight tube (fit perfectly in the 14mm female gg stem with no makeshift adapter necessary). I get about 3 nice thick rips/load and then save the ABV.

The small amount of ABV can be saved and used again, I save enough up for a cloudy Volcano load, and grind it by hand into the filling chamber...but you could revape it right in the Vapman.

I highly recommend. The only thing that can fail is your lighter...so carry a spare. It is a reliable choice.

JohnDeere,

Vicki

Herbal Alchemist
I have tried (and still have 2) the Ubie, and now own a Magic Flight Launch Box. Those are the only portables I have tried. :)

Vicki,

NYC Vape

I posted this a while back, and wanted to see if there were any new developments on the portable vape front.

I use the Extreme at home, and actually bring it with me to parties, friends, even on a boat party, and set it up one time in a club.

I am in the market for a portable. I have the VG, which does get me a bit of a buzz, but nothing like the Extreme. I have literally "tripped" a few times from the Extreme using the whip and some great Jack Herrer. I never really get that much from the VG - and I am using it correctly and my filter is not burned or clogged.

Someone will let me try the Iolite soon, but I believe I read here they are still having problems, even with the new improved straw.

I guess Arizer never came out with their portable unit? I saw mention of it in 2008 in this thread.

So any new portables I might want to check out?

I don't really enjoy smoking any more.....

NYC Vape,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Been looking to get a portable for a while now to compliment my SSV but also because being able to just walk about and sneakily vape here and there sounds truly wonderful!

Was on the verge of getting a MFLB until I saw that Arizer and some other companies are planning on releasing their own portables. Seems 7th floor might be making a hand-held one too.
Would portable users recommend waiting for one of these new releases or just bite the bullet and buy the MFLB?

I suppose at least it's fairly cheap so wouldn't be too out of pocket, but it would be incredibly annoying to purchase one only for a better rival to go on sale right after!

wilf789,

Wolface

I totally get where you are at wilf! but, the MFLB is a must have item! Whatever comes along in your future, The MFLB and it's lifetime warranty will always be there to comfort. It's an easy bullet to chew on!

Wolface,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
get the Box. Arizer will be lucky to get something out by the end of the year. At $100 you can't go wrong...it's a staple in my lineup.

stickstones,

OC513

Dabaholic
Wolface said:
I totally get where you are at wilf! but, the MFLB is a must have item! Whatever comes along in your future, The MFLB and it's lifetime warranty will always be there to comfort. It's an easy bullet to chew on!
stickstones said:
get the Box. Arizer will be lucky to get something out by the end of the year. At $100 you can't go wrong...it's a staple in my lineup.
what they said

OC513,

wilf789

Non-combustion-convert
Ta very much! Looks like I have about 198 pages of reading up to do... :ko:

wilf789,

collin000

It depends on what you want, if you are looking for a portable you have two options butane or electric. I just recently got the vap or smoke ninja at a local head shop. It was very iffy when I first got it cause I didnt want butane. My friend talked me into it and what really sold me wasn't only the price ($125) but you can also use it as a regular pipe but vap as well. Also I found it would be a lot easier to just refill the butane then have to remember to charge it. The only thing is that it takes sometime to get use to but I had it down in a week of using it, all in all I love it. It saves me so much money and I can use it just about anywhere. So its safe to say this is an great pieces to add to your collection.

P.s. In vap mode this is not really a piece to just whip out at a party cause it is kind of frustrating to try and explain it to newbies. haha

collin000,

SD_haze

collin000 said:
not really a piece to just whip out at a party cause it is kind of frustrating to try and explain it to newbies. haha

The bane of portable vaporizers.
People always suck the iolite too fast and get shitty hits then complain about the vaporizer ><

There aren't a lot of portable vaporizers out there that can be easily used with a lot of people and dont have an important draw technique.

Best one ive seen so far is the supreme, although i know there is some draw technique i think it works well enough that you can get decent hits just inhalin normally

SD_haze,

Willeh

The Arizer Solo has to be the best portable out right now. Huge convection hits, heats up in a minute and a half, long battery life, anyone will toke it and get a big hit, works great in bongs with some dabuddha whip tubing. I'd say the hits are tastier than my buddha or extreme's were because you're not always going through the same tubing and you can cleans the bong. I am really digging this thing.

The only downside is the 300$ price tag and cost of replacing the internal battery. I think it's well worth it myself, but I live in Canada so shipping back for the battery won't cost a lot in the short term (5$ canada post).

Willeh,

SD_haze

Didn't arizer say the battery pack might have to replaced annually and i could have sworn i read it was $100 to replace. (feel free to prove me wrong im not sure)

I think one extra merit for a portable vaporizer is whether or not it would be usable on a long trip without access to outlets (camping, backpacking, etc).

I dont kno if I would spend $300 on something I couldn't use when I really NEED it to be portable.
You could take an iolite/vape-or-smoke/etc into the wilderness for months and vape erry day.

SD_haze,
Top Bottom