Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

donald420

Just wondering how are you guys getting your spring fully out to clean? Because i can just manage to get it, say a quarter of the way out and when i pull the spring it doesnt budge it just starts to stretch and i obviously dont want to pull 2 hard and fuck it up.. What are you guys using to do this?

donald420,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
The issue is not a permanent one.
It comes and goes.
I still like the vape, and at this moment it is working without issue again.
Just ponder this....
The majority of buyers of this product do not read FC... and it is sad that they will never learn all that members here have discovered in the way of maintenance of the Pax.
How many people that are not FC members do you think have discovered that there is a spring area that can be maintained?
I edited my last post slightly.
I changed the spot that said I could not recommend the Pax to "others" to say "everyone"... because I just steered one friend away from it, while on the phone told another I think he should add a Pax to his collection.
The Gestalt...
I still like this Pax.

I am having similar feelings. I love my Pax, and know what to do to make it work, but feel a little off about recommending it to just anyone. You have to be the kind of person who has the patience to get past figuring out what it needs to work right. It seems this is the same issue over and over just about every few pages, a new wave of people come in asking about it. I had my pax with me at a "wedding" tonight, and was so glad to have it, and impressed with it while using it without drawing attention to myself, out in the open next to the other smokers. If they can just find a way to improve the contact points some how... but I'm with willieR, since I started cleaning with the dental brush, I don't get any real problems any more. I have not even extracted my spring yet.

Dammit

Just wondering how are you guys getting your spring fully out to clean? Because i can just manage to get it, say a quarter of the way out and when i pull the spring it doesnt budge it just starts to stretch and i obviously dont want to pull 2 hard and fuck it up.. What are you guys using to do this?
Start rotating it. If it's starting going back in, you're rotating it the wrong way.

Okay had this guy for 2 days, and used it as my only tool. By the end of day 2 the mouth piece was getting the gummed slow open, temp/heating lights dealio. Took about 7-8 oven fulls to get there. I think leaving it in the car with the cool weather made the gunk harden that much more.

I cleaned it all up with the tools supplied by Ploom as well as a plastic dental pick. Now the mouth piece is working great. I also took the spring out and wiped it with the Pax Sterilizing Wipe. Cleaned the spring channel using a pipe cleaner dabbed with a wipe. Man that spring was not easy to release.

Thanks once again for the info guys, I am okay with cleaning this thing if it continues to do its part.

Dammit

I look at the Pax like it's a Ferrari. Sure, it's relatively expensive, not the most efficient, and a little high maintenance. But on the other hand, it's a high tech feat of engineering that really performs and it's a thing of beauty to look at. It's not for everyone, but to me, the positives far outweigh the negatives

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
I look at the Pax like it's a Ferrari. Sure, it's relatively expensive, not the most efficient, and a little high maintenance. But on the other hand, it's a high tech feat of engineering that really performs and it's a thing of beauty to look at. It's not for everyone, but to me, the positives far outweigh the negatives

I would agree with this. I have tried some other vapes, and this has been better than others.

I almost bought a vaporblunt, but after vaping a friends, I wasn't really sold on it.

What sold me the most was the 10 year warranty that comes on this. I can't wait to see what happens in the next 10 years, I am willing to bet that it is going to be legal soon enough.

ILoveCollege,

jlesiki

I was just about to place an order for the Pax, then I thought of a quick question I thought I might ask Before I ordered. I like to take single rips frequently throughout the day, and was wondering if you guys would or would not recommend this vape for that type of usage?

What I was thinking was that I could load it up, click it on for a draw or two, and then click it off and put it back in my pocket. Is there any reason why the Pax would not be suitable for this?

jlesiki,
Reactions: Vitolo

HSIHP

I was just about to place an order for the Pax, then I thought of a quick question I thought I might ask Before I ordered. I like to take single rips frequently throughout the day, and was wondering if you guys would or would not recommend this vape for that type of usage?

What I was thinking was that I could load it up, click it on for a draw or two, and then click it off and put it back in my pocket. Is there any reason why the Pax would not be suitable for this?

This is pretty much how I use it exclusivly. I usually tae two or three hits at a time then put it away and it works great and I think it fills the role for stealth better than the MFLB IMO. Just click in your pocket to let it warm up, take it out 1 min later and go for it.

HSIHP,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

The Pax takes 30-60 seconds to warm up and takes a lot of energy to do it. Turning it on and off for single hits is the least efficient way to use the battery. Whether it would last all day obviously depends on how often you hit it, but there's a definite chance you can run it flat using it like that. For this sort of pattern I'd use my MFLB, since it is ready to hit in 3-5 seconds and I can always have a spare battery ready to go if I need it. The Pax requires its charger. The length of the warmup time alone is enough for me to prefer the LB.

OTOH, Jethro says using the Pax this way works for him so maybe it would for you too.

VapeVoice

From experience. When the oven cools I don't think it smells much at all. Once I am medicated I close the mouthpiece and take a couple more pulls until there is no visible vapor. Then i throw it back in my pocket and nobody is any wiser.

Vitolo

Vaporist
a couple of dry pulls is a great idea. I do the same with Pax and most other vapes, to reduce that "last gasp" of vapor condensation in any tool!

Vitolo,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
From experience. When the oven cools I don't think it smells much at all. Once I am medicated I close the mouthpiece and take a couple more pulls until there is no visible vapor. Then i throw it back in my pocket and nobody is any wiser.

The Pax gives off odour only when it's on, but when it's on, it's always giving off a pretty strong odour. While the Pax doesn't look like a vapourizer, it sure stinks like one when you use it.

HSIHP

When it's in my pocket, I cant smell it even after a couple of rounds of hits. Even when I take it out i can only smell it when it is really close to my face. I agree with Jam, about 3 or 4 seconds before the light turns green I can smell a slight odor but again, only when it is less then 3 feet from my face.

On Saturday I was at a bar out back where they has some tables and chairs. I puffed on my Pax three different times and no one at my table even noticed, not even my GF who has used it before. After I was done some guys at the next table started hitting a pipe and my friend comment on how stupid they were being smoking out at a bar. It was then that I truly began to love my Pax :D

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
In an enclosed space I find that the Pax definitely lets off a scent, but it dissipates quickly. Outside in an open space it is very difficult to lock onto the scent, if one can even smell it in the first place. I've used my Pax in the grocery store without issue and I've used it right in front of people while outside and nobody is the wiser.

ILoveCollege

Yeah.. F* Combustion..
The only thing that I don't like about me is my high tolerance to somethings. Unfortunately Mary J is one of them. So I have to sit down for a little session in order to get going off of the Pax. I selected a vape because of how much more healthy it is for you, and I hate combustion now, but I still want to find ways to make this more powerful.. I also vape good stuff, I am not vaping mids or reg..

I know that was kinda off topic, but I was thinking about ways I can make this better. I have also tried different levels, and I like to start low, then get into medium.. I might just try high and see what that does for me, the one thing I don't like about starting at the top is you skip the lower levels, shortening the life of your load*.

*is that a correct statement?

So Paxaholics, what can I do about my issue?

P.S. I kinda like that I am tolerant to this, while yes it takes longer to get me up, I can control it much more. I don't really ever get couch locked, if anything I become productive..

ILoveCollege,
Reactions: ShipDit

jambandphan03

in flavor country
If you are not getting blasted on the lower settings, definitely ramp up to high at the end of your sesh, and get some of that higher temp vapor, it should do more for you, but it's good to get the most out of your load by starting low, if you have time for a sit. If you are in a rush, go to high, but it will spend your load faster and won't taste as good. I would just load less if in a pinch, and needing a quick blast. You don't get as good of taste on high, but the feeling is much heavier, you get more of those canabanoids releasing at the higher temp.

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I might just try high and see what that does for me, the one thing I don't like about starting at the top is you skip the lower levels, shortening the life of your load*.

*is that a correct statement?

Starting at high means that you'll get all of the active components in the highest concentration that the Pax can deliver. Working up from low allows for some separation of effects.

With most vapourizers the quantity of actives you inhale would be about the same regardless of which approach you took, but the Pax isn't like most vapourizers. It is a conduction device that is constantly heating your load when it is turned on whether you are hitting it or not, therefore you are correct, you are shortening the life of your load. It's not clear by how much compared to the medium and low settings. Compared to other vapourizers, the Pax cashes out your load faster regardless of the temperature setting because of the always-on oven.

pakalolo,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I look at smell as more of an herb-related thing than a vape thing. Herb in an unsealed container will smell. Vaping said herb will also smell. The vape, unless it has a sealed chamber, seems moot. They all stink because they're unsealed and the herb stinks.

I have also avoided recommending this vape. Mine works perfectly with the old mouthpiece. Always has. But there's sure no guarantee that others will get a trouble-free unit. And then there's always the Ferrari aspect. For me it's no biggie. Some people never clean anything, and clearly this vape isn't for them.

willieR,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I look at smell as more of an herb-related thing than a vape thing.

I'd agree with this for every vapourizer except the Pax. I can't think of another device that constantly heats the load at vapourizing temperature. This means that it is always giving off some vapour and therefore is always creating some odour whenever it is on. I find this makes it much more noticeable than my other vapourizers.

pakalolo,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom