Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSIHP

That is exactly what I was thinking Dreamerr. What I love about the Inh for concerts is that you can pre-pack several cartridges and do a quick change during the show, but it is rather large. I have big hands, but I think even my hands wouldn't palm it very well.

The Pax looks really interesting, very stealth. I could see how people mistake it for an electronic device. I just watched a good review of it on Youtube where the guy talks about how big the oven is, so maybe that would suffice in place of multiple cartridges. I am slightly concerned about this cleaning problem people are mentioning, but it has a 10-year warranty. That makes me feel a little better about it.

I'm really leaning toward the Pax right now. I think I'll wait another day at least to sleep on it and read a bit more.

I think the Pax is perfect for concerts. I just took mine to a festival 2 weeks ago and it was perfect. I'm pretty sure that one oven will last at least one set (unless you vape more than that normally) then you can reload at set break. I know for me, one oven would last a whole show no problem, maybe even leave some for the ride home/ before bed.

HSIHP,

Dogman

Vaporist Extrordinair
I hope it works out for you, Dogman, I really do, but I wouldn't expect any company to honor a warranty or accept a product for repair that was purchased on ebay. There are *so* many knockoffs and fakes and stolen items, etc. Also--and I'm really sorry to be harsh--it just seems to me that if you buy from ebay, you may save money but you're also taking a chance and you should accept the consequences and not expect the parent company to bail you out. Many companies are put at a serious disadvantage by ebay, because their reputation is at stake when ebay sells fakes and problem units. For a whole bunch of reasons, we should all buy from legitimate vendors. I would hope that the Pax folks would be polite, but I can't see any reason that they should cover an item they didn't sell and might not have even made; and I wouldn't use FC as a threat to get service. Again, I don't usually post negative comments and I genuinely hope yours gets fixed.

It was not a 'knock off' and I paid $6.50 more than one from Ploom or Vape World, but they were out of stock and did not expect more for several weeks. If it was not a Ploom product, I would not have tried, I am not a scammer. I did not want a free fix, only to have the unit repaired for a fee. If it was a 'problem unit' it should never have been sold by Ploom or they should take the responsibility to correct a problem Pax.

Headdoctor, I do not know how you read into my post that I wanted something free, I would have paid and not complained a bit. I live my life by Karma, and try my best not to create negative energy that will only come back to me. For some reason after reading your entire post, I really don't feel as though you 'hope' I get it fixed, you seem to be very set in the fact that since I bought it from ebay I should just suffer the loss. If I buy a used Chevrolet, I can still take it to the Chevy dealer for service. And even then I am smart enough to realize that it is not going to be 'under warranty'.

On a positive note, maybe not for headdoctor, Lee from Ploom sent me an email with return authorization for in warranty service. They are working on a program right now for servicing Paxs that have been purchased in the same manner that I purchased mine.

I did not want a free fix, and was very clear to Ploom about that. Ploom decided to repair or replace the unit at no cost.

I do feel a little guilty, I almost wish Ploom would charge me to relieve a little of my guilt.

On the other hand, it is service like this that will keep me coming back for more product, just as I have with Thermovape. Thank you very much Lee from Ploom. Now I have to play Mr Patience until it comes back.

Thanks again Jambandphan03, you helped by pushing me to give it another try, people like you make this site what it is!

Vitolo

Vaporist
Dreamerr, in your sig you mention the MFLB as "semi-retired from the lovely people that make them." This is the Pax thread, I understand but what did you mean by this?
Thanks,
I am sure she means she has an MFLB that is used only rarely... and she is saying it comes from good people! (the Magic Flight Team)

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Exactly Vito...Is my English not correct in my signature...if not give me new verbiage and I will fix it. On another note I have been thinking a lot about this since I have recommended the pax to some people because it seemed right for them. I am going to ask the mods to open a thread on how to buy a vape if one doesn't exist. I have some thoughts on how to get through this process a bit easier. I had less choices when I got my MFLB as my first vape but now with so many choices I think a thread to help decide is important.

I will go read the rules later on starting one and then do what I need to do. I think this will help all the random questions in various threads. I think the pax fills a need as well as other vapes do. It depends on needs and wants. You will have to read the thread to find out more when it is up. I am planning on the name, "How to buy my first vape?" If you have a better title I am open.

Dreamerr,
Reactions: ShipDit

sodabeans

first post ever to this forum :) i've been lurking a while, and am finally glad to see that someone else bought their pax from ebay and was honored an in-warranty repair. i've been hesitant to get one through ebay and invalidating my warranty, but i also wanted a new toy that instant.

you may be lucky, dogman, but i too hope to be lucky for warranty repair (cost or covered) if the need arises.

It was not a 'knock off' and I paid $6.50 more than one from Ploom or Vape World, but they were out of stock and did not expect more for several weeks. If it was not a Ploom product, I would not have tried, I am not a scammer. I did not want a free fix, only to have the unit repaired for a fee. If it was a 'problem unit' it should never have been sold by Ploom or they should take the responsibility to correct a problem Pax.

Headdoctor, I do not know how you read into my post that I wanted something free, I would have paid and not complained a bit. I live my life by Karma, and try my best not to create negative energy that will only come back to me. For some reason after reading your entire post, I really don't feel as though you 'hope' I get it fixed, you seem to be very set in the fact that since I bought it from ebay I should just suffer the loss. If I buy a used Chevrolet, I can still take it to the Chevy dealer for service. And even then I am smart enough to realize that it is not going to be 'under warranty'.

On a positive note, maybe not for headdoctor, Lee from Ploom sent me an email with return authorization for in warranty service. They are working on a program right now for servicing Paxs that have been purchased in the same manner that I purchased mine.

I did not want a free fix, and was very clear to Ploom about that. Ploom decided to repair or replace the unit at no cost.

I do feel a little guilty, I almost wish Ploom would charge me to relieve a little of my guilt.

On the other hand, it is service like this that will keep me coming back for more product, just as I have with Thermovape. Thank you very much Lee from Ploom. Now I have to play Mr Patience until it comes back.

Thanks again Jambandphan03, you helped by pushing me to give it another try, people like you make this site what it is!

sodabeans,

HSIHP

So my girlfriend has no work tomorrow and I dont have classes till later in the day. It will give me a chance to try out my new silicone addapter that deadshort sent me! It just came in the mail and I'm pretty excited to run the Pax through water for the 1st time!

Thanks again Deadshort!

Damn, College. Of all the people affected by this storm, your story is the most heartbreaking of all.

:)

I'm only half kidding when I say that cause I know the torture of waiting for a new toy.

TheDudeNextDoor,

headdoctor

I guess I'm in the minority on this issue, maybe alone. Dogman, you seem like a good guy and I genuinely am glad that yours is getting fixed. I'm sincere about that. I also don't think you're a scammer, and I have no bad feelings about you at all. (And in return please don't make assumptions about my sincerity.) But I also think we have a responsibility, an ethical one, to support the manufacturers and legitimate vendors, and to steer clear of eBay and dubious sellers. In fact, if the seller were ethical he wouldn't have overcharged you simply because it was out of stock. This is the same way I feel about scalpers and stubhub for concert tickets--we should be wary of supporting a secondary market that feeds into fakes and rip-offs. You put Ploom in an impossible position, especially by mentioning FC. I'm glad that Ploom and other manufacturers have solid customer support; they should take care of their customers. But I don't think they have a responsibility to service (for free or for a charge) units that they haven't sold and maybe didn't even make. You actually have no way of knowing what the previous owner did to it or even if the unit is legitimate (though it's perhaps unlikely that fakes have already appeared). If people want to buy things on a secondary market, then fine; but, yes, I do feel they are taking a chance and should accept that. I felt this way when I read endless people buying Solos from unreliable sources and then expecting Arizer to make good. Seriously, I don't think your karma is hurt by this, Dogman--and I say that as someone with a 15 year buddhist practice. But I also think it's worth contemplating the ethics of eBay.
Again, it looks like I'm alone in thinking that there is an ethic involved here, so I'll leave it at that. I love this forum and am happy, when I'm considered to be wrong, to suck it up and move on.

I guess I'm in the minority on this issue, maybe alone. Dogman, you seem like a good guy and I genuinely am glad that yours is getting fixed. I'm sincere about that. I also don't think you're a scammer, and I have no bad feelings about you at all. (And in return please don't make assumptions about my sincerity.) But I also think we have a responsibility, an ethical one, to support the manufacturers and legitimate vendors, and to steer clear of eBay and dubious sellers. In fact, if the seller were ethical he wouldn't have overcharged you simply because it was out of stock. This is the same way I feel about scalpers and stubhub for concert tickets--we should be wary of supporting a secondary market that feeds into fakes and rip-offs. You put Ploom in an impossible position, especially by mentioning FC. I'm glad that Ploom and other manufacturers have solid customer support; they should take care of their customers. But I don't think they have a responsibility to service (for free or for a charge) units that they haven't sold and maybe didn't even make. You actually have no way of knowing what the previous owner did to it or even if the unit is legitimate (though it's perhaps unlikely that fakes have already appeared). If people want to buy things on a secondary market, then fine; but, yes, I do feel they are taking a chance and should accept that. I felt this way when I read endless people buying Solos from unreliable sources and then expecting Arizer to make good. Seriously, I don't think your karma is hurt by this, Dogman--and I say that as someone with a 15 year buddhist practice. But I also think it's worth contemplating the ethics of eBay.
Again, it looks like I'm alone in thinking that there is an ethic involved here, so I'll leave it at that. I love this forum and am happy, when I'm considered to be wrong, to suck it up and move on.

Why should where you bought it have anything to do with whether the warranty is honored or not? If Pax checks the product and the warranty is not void by user error (which I'm sure they do) why shouldn't they fix a broken pax? What does where it comes from have to do with the 10 year warranty? Not to mention the fact that this forum acts as a large secondary market. I would hope that if a user sold his pax to another user the warranty on the device would not be void should the device break from non user error cause.

The warranty is void if bought second-hand. That is stipulated on their website. The ten year warranty only applies to the original buyer.

Off topic: Is there a FC coupon for Ploom?

TheDudeNextDoor,

Deadshort480

We're here to fuck shit up.
Almost everyone that has shown interest in purchasing a Pax after trying mine says that they'll find one cheaper than $250, either on Ebay or at a local head shop. I giggle and shake my head. The local head shop is charging $275 and you simply can't trust Ebay when it comes to electronics and high end products. To be honest, I don't even like purchasing from vendors or dealers IF I have the option to purchase directly from the manufacturer. I will buy from a vendor if the manufacturer is charging MSRP and the vendor is charging MAPP.

Ebay is great for everyday or very hard to find items, but when it comes to new technology, electronics, name brand clothing, jewelry, and other high end products, Ebay should be avoided at all costs. Nothing is more valuable than research when making an expensive purchase. Many manufacturers don't honor the warranty on items purchased on the secondary market.

It's awesome to hear that Ploom is going to do right and help out dogman. That's excellent customer service. Ploom seems to be a company that really stands by their products.

headdoctor

I really don't want to make a big deal about this, and I apologize to Dogman if I have embarrassed him. If he bought a *new unit* from an *authorized vendor* on Ebay, then I do think Ploom should cover it. I'm sorry if I misread the original post. But in general I'm wary of secondary markets and I think we should be supporting the vendors that, after all, support FC. Obviously Ploom isn't happy about units sold on eBay, and I assume vapeworld (where I buy my stuff) can't be happy either. After all, if it was a legitimate vendor on eBay, wouldn't it have been best to return it to that vendor??
Anway, I *hate* when things get personal since I don't know Dogman and he doesn't know me. I can only emphasize again that he seems like a good guy, I'm glad he's being taken care of, and I say: happy trails!!

Well crap, VapeWorld's FC coupon does not apply to Pax, and they seem to be the only FC sponsor to carry the Pax or have it in stock. So no coupons anyone knows of from Ploom themselves?

Also, I found in reading this thread that the battery is not replaceable and not covered by warranty. Does that mean the unit becomes useless if the battery stops holding a charge, or is there some other option?

TheDudeNextDoor,
I know this is not a democracy,and I've only been lurking here for 6 months or so, but I'm casting my vote for this idea. I think if you've been here for a while it's easy to forget just how much information is here and how long it takes to plow through for even basic questions. The problem gets exponentialy worse if you're trying to decide between 2 (or more) vapes.
Just my 2 cents......now can I get a penny back 'cause. I'm kinda new?
Exactly Vito...Is my English not correct in my signature...if not give me new verbiage and I will fix it. On another note I have been thinking a lot about this since I have recommended the pax to some people because it seemed right for them. I am going to ask the mods to open a thread on how to buy a vape if one doesn't exist. I have some thoughts on how to get through this process a bit easier. I had less choices when I got my MFLB as my first vape but now with so many choices I think a thread to help decide is important.

I will go read the rules later on starting one and then do what I need to do. I think this will help all the random questions in various threads. I think the pax fills a need as well as other vapes do. It depends on needs and wants. You will have to read the thread to find out more when it is up. I am planning on the name, "How to buy my first vape?" If you have a better title I am open.

ShipDit,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
I pretty much plan on tossing my vapes when the batteries die. They have a life cause they are rechargeable. If it is easy enough then I will send it in for service.

Most of the vendors of the vapes you are looking at have a battery replacement program and if they don't yet they will. Also a lot of the peeps on here even though the battery isn't user replaceable do it anyhow. If you look way back earlier in this thread you will see a replacement as well as an upgraded battery by joekickass. You can look at the whole inside of the pax. It is worth finding it.

Thanks ShipDit it is a huge undertaking and I am trying to work out the details. I would need veterans to help and also experts on different vapes. In theory it is a good idea cause I know I would have liked to ask all the newbie questions but it is also so complicated because of the amount of vapes and my limited knowledge. I do know what to ask though to newbies to help.

Dreamerr,
Reactions: ShipDit

jambandphan03

in flavor country
Yeah, Dude, the battery is the biggest grey area. The pax has been cracked open by FC members (look back to around pg 80 or so) and the battery can be replaced by the user who is willing to do these things:
1. know how or where to get a 18650 unprotected Lion rechargable w/tabs spot welded on it
2. how to solder and work with basic electronics.
3. void warranty by opening Pax to mess with it, and put a new battery inside...

There is also "SUPPOSED" to be a battery replacement policy in the works according to the ploom website. I have not contacted them about the issue, as I imagine it may be a few months before the batteries won't take a charge anymore, and I am guessing that Ploom may be counting on this as they get more established. I HOPE they will offer a reasonable priced battery replacement solution. Otherwise some crafty FC member may just be able to pick up the slack and offer some kind of solution. I guess only time will tell on this one.

jambandphan03,
Oh man, that's a major concern then for me. I've seen batteries like that begin failing after a matter of months, accepting less and less of a charge until it's gone. I'm sure this has been discussed at length - tough to pour through 190 pages of posts. What is the general consensus from those who adopted early?

TheDudeNextDoor,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
aside from a battery not working right out of the box, I have not seen posts about a battery wearing out yet. Just a few people who think they got bunk batteries right at the start. That's a different matter. I would also like to have an idea of how long these really hold out. I wish a company would just make it more user friendly already. Thermovape and D9 both have user friendly devices, but they are not automatic like the Pax, so you sacrifice convenience for sustainability. INH is closer, you still have to be very careful but it is easier to change the battery in that unit, no soldering as far as I know. I am curious to see where we are all at a few months from now with our Pax.

jambandphan03,
Yeah, I just emailed them asking about their expectations for battery life. If we are talking about a couple years, I would be okay with that, but I sure would be pissed if I spent $250 on this thing, cool as it is, and it only works for a matter of months. I was all ready to buy this thing, but this makes me hesitate big time. Their warranty says it doesn't cover "normal performance degradation of batteries." I guess that would be the question - how do they define "normal performance degradation of batteries"?

TheDudeNextDoor,
So Mr. Pax kept me company when the power was out for 2 days thanks to Sandy. Totaling 5 separate sessions, and 3 oven-fulls. Guess what? The battery is still running, I am gonna see how far I can push it by using it tomorrow, day 3. I only use medium and high for the most part, for the recent batch I feel like high is the only way I am getting enough vapor. So pretty impressed with the battery.

Okay on the downside, when I started the 2 day stretch I had just cleaned it and not used it since. This Pax is less than a week old. By the end of the first day the mouth piece was already was clicking out slow, and it had to be held half in until it headed up and had some vapor loosen the gunk. I am leaving it in the car for most of the day so it is cooling that gunk and making it a real nuisance.

Overall still pleased.

Vaped Crusader,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom