Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyline

After looking into this vape, I got more and more tempted and finally caved and ordered it. Too bad I'm on a T-break! Arghhh why does this thing have to be so cool ... finally a portable vape that doesn't attract any attention or require any fumbling with batteries. Seems like the perfect vape to take snowboarding too.. not breaking my break will require tons of discipline once I get this thing in my hands haha.

^^^^ You should be fine. Im on probation right now. Ive been free for 3-4 months now and have about 2-3 months to go. Then ill be under unsupervised probation. Hopefully then i will be able to use my Pax:/

Bigrahizzle,
Reactions: skyline

JoeKickass

Wow I found the battery to put in my Pax:
http://www.orbtronic.com/batteries-chargers/panasonic-3400mah-18650-li-ion-battery-cell-ncr18650b

34-ncr18650b.jpg

Panasonic%20NCR18650B%203400mAh%20%28Green%29-CapacityTime.png

We're the light blue line, 90 minutes. That's 50% more power or maybe 2-3 more bowls!

(In stock, but ships from China? http://www.cnqualitygoods.com/goods.php?id=1624)

Sushi

Breathe man !
how much more does that cost? because i live in new zealand and am pretty keen to just do the same thing instead of waiting for ploom to finally bring out a bigger charger and allow companies to ship out of the US
The service cost something like US$10 + shipping (I choose DHL Express) for a total amount of $47 with an insurance. Then I'll have to pay local custom taxe (I'm in France).

Sushi,

tig420

my pax i got last week will not charge its pretty disappointing i charged it the first day used it a few times over the week went to charge it today and it blinks a yellow light and will not charge i hope vapeworld responds to my email soon and i get another one because i love the damn thing but now i cannot use it cause its dead

tig420,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
pretend it's the handle of a screwdriver and you're putting a screw straight into a wall. turn it clockwise. that's what works for me, very consistently.

I can see how I was getting it to activate by spinning mine real fast in small circles. I was causing the bead inside the motion sensor to basically move around the device, instead of the device move around the bead. It was basically doing the same thing... although my method is way harder. :rofl:

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: Vapinghole

tig420

tried charging my pax again today and no luck, fucking blinking yellow light is really starting to piss me off. i take it off the charger after hours of charging and try to turn it on and it blinks red at me three times and turns off. i think i am the one unhappy pax customer.:mad:

tig420,

JoeKickass

good find! ease of replace? are there any stickers are anything that break when the device is opened? is the battery spliced in/pop in/rca connectors?

Nothing but two uber skinny sllicone o-rings, they are so loose though that it might be better to take them off and find tighter ones... you can see vape nazi broke one, but I'm pretty sure mine are still intact.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/pax-vaporizer-by-ploom.6223/page-51#post-262775

@JoeKickass: Just for you, here you go:

LyJPk.jpg

HA1k3.jpg

On the lower pic, notice the silver bar running lengthwise on the right side? That's the "clip" mechanism for the mouthpiece, it works pretty cleverly in conjunction with the spring and floating ring on the downstem of the mouthpiece.

You can see the battery is just a single 18650 cell, no pcb protection, with what look like soldered ends. Protected batteries are longer and won't fit. Has anyone run their Pax past red? What does it do when it stops heating?

Azathoth

My purple Pax arrived from Vapeworld yesterday, and I've really been enjoying this portable. I've used the MFLB with pleasure for years, but the Pax will be my go-to portable now. The only problem is, three loads into using the Pax, the mouthpiece has become very tricky to close.

I saw earlier in the thread that BryE23 was having similar issues, but not sure that a solution was ever found (re-read the thread from page 49, where BryE23's post about the mouthpiece appears, but didn't see anything or missed it). I'm able to get the mouthpiece to stay closed only by being very slow and deliberate in my motions. I need to press it all the way down very gently, then very slowly let up pressure until it catches. Even then, it often won't catch. I have to move much slower and more deliberately to get it to catch than the demonstrators in the official videos from Ploom, which is why I think something may be off with my device.

I've cleaned the device to make sure there was nothing sticky or clogged, even though it had only been used three times. It works great otherwise, but I'm still going to contact Vapeworld and see if I can get a replacement unit. I'm worried this will only get worse with time, and it's just not good enough for the price of the vape. But since there are only a couple of us who have had this problem (or at least reporting it in this thread), I'm guessing it's just a faulty unit.

Other than that bit of annoyance, first impressions are fantastic. And thanks to everyone for taking the time to post such great information.

Azathoth,

tig420

thats my problem if i did that right it really sucks because the three sessions i had with Pax i loved

tig420,

JoeKickass

thats my problem if i did that right it really sucks because the three sessions i had with Pax i loved

I guess that answers my question of what happens when the Pax runs out of battery. I wonder though how many days was it dead before you tried charging it? If the battery is too low the charger might refuse to charge it, try taking it off when it blinks yellow and just repeatedly putting it on and charging it bit by bit?

JoeKickass,

tig420

i tried charging it when it still had battery life and i think the charging process sucked the rest of life out of the battery

tig420,

JoeKickass

The only problem is, three loads into using the Pax, the mouthpiece has become very tricky to close.

I saw earlier in the thread that BryE23 was having similar issues, but not sure that a solution was ever found (re-read the thread from page 49, where BryE23's post about the mouthpiece appears, but didn't see anything or missed it). I'm able to get the mouthpiece to stay closed only by being very slow and deliberate in my motions. I need to press it all the way down very gently, then very slowly let up pressure until it catches. Even then, it often won't catch. I have to move much slower and more deliberately to get it to catch than the demonstrators in the official videos from Ploom, which is why I think something may be off with my device.

I've cleaned the device to make sure there was nothing sticky or clogged, even though it had only been used three times. It works great otherwise, but I'm still going to contact Vapeworld and see if I can get a replacement unit. I'm worried this will only get worse with time, and it's just not good enough for the price of the vape. But since there are only a couple of us who have had this problem (or at least reporting it in this thread), I'm guessing it's just a faulty unit.

I think this problem might be the metal clip vape nazi mentioned, maybe it's not pressing on the stem hard enough?
@JoeKickass: Just for you, here you go:
HA1k3.jpg

On the lower pic, notice the silver bar running lengthwise on the right side? That's the "clip" mechanism for the mouthpiece, it works pretty cleverly in conjunction with the spring and floating ring on the downstem of the mouthpiece.

The clip on my Pax feels like it's pressing pretty hard on the stem, the locking click is sharp and solid

JoeKickass,
Reactions: Azathoth

JoeKickass

i tried charging it when it still had battery life and i think the charging process sucked the rest of life out of the battery

Hmm it's possible the wall adapter could have broken, but you need a voltmeter to check if it's 9v or not.

Did you try charging it facing both ways? Do the metal bits on the charger of the Pax look messed up?

JoeKickass,

tig420

i tried everything you suggested and i dont think the charger is messed up because its dead but will blink yellow when it is on the charger so there has to be juice going to it. i think i got a bad apple and now i am just waiting for what seems like an eternity (since yesterday) for vapeworld or ploom to email me back to get this resolved. it also worked and charged normally the day i got it, its really weird and frustrating

tig420,

JoeKickass

Then it is almost certainly fake. Real Panasonic ships from the fab's in Japan.

I'll do a test in a flashlight to find out if it matches the graph, but it's sold out in most of the USA stores. I was wondering if maybe the Chinese vendors bought up a bunch at bulk prices...

If they're fakes then there sure are a lot of chinese vendors with the same one's...
http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/ncr18650b-3400mah.html

JoeKickass,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Then it is almost certainly fake. Real Panasonic ships from the fab's in Japan.

The folks over at CandlePowerForums are pretty astute, and they seem to think these are the real deal. The thread, oddly enough, is 3400mAh Panasonic NCR18650B. A quick scan over it tells me that using them might not be as straightforward as one might think. I gather they need the right protection circuit.

Having said that, the potential for counterfeits of a hot new product is pretty high, especially in Asian markets.

pakalolo,
sweet replacement pax is here!! thanks to vapeworld for the overnight and saturday shipping so i can use it on the weekend. the action on the button is so smooth its night and day vs the old button. charging it up now!!!

Can you explain what problem you were having? What do you mean by button action?

Loyalone72,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom