Discontinued Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeKickass

As for this units performance I like it. I am a little skeptical about how long the battery will last me... for a 2 day concert, but the first day at least will be good!

I've been thinking about this, the Pax charges in an hour and will last about 2/3 of a day for my solo use. If I'm traveling to a place with an outlet I can bring the charger and all is well.

But what about camping/backpacking? Or weedemon's mega concert? Those events would definitely benefit from having a working Pax...

If we look on the charger, we can see it takes 9v and more than an amp of current, that's a lot of little 9v batteries... I emailed Pax to see if it can handle lower or higher voltages but I kind of doubt it. So we're going to need something like the wall adapter that can provide a steady 9v and a lot of current. It's not cheap but here's my solution:

Start with a lot of power:
14.8v 2.2Ah enough for 2-3 full charges $37
14.8v 4.4ah enough for 4-6 full charges $56

You'll need a special charger though $20 (Just for charging the big battery pack, leave at home)

This is what you use to turn a high power battery into our steady 9v: 25W Step Down Regulator or two 10W Step Down Regulators (x2)
See how tiny it is:
AR_1.jpg

You set/adjust it to 9v and use connectors to wire it to the battery (connectors so you can disconnect and charge the battery) and wire the output to a DC adapter thats fits the Pax base. Just tape the regulator to the battery and you have a Pax Power Pack!

So for about $100 you get a high quality little pack that you can charge before your trip, take with you, and it will plug right into your pax charger. Not cheap, I know, but just imagine being away from civilization for days with a fully charged Pax...:mmmm:

Of course if you are going to be able to go near your car, you can charge it by buying one of these and using your Pax wall charger Not as adventurous but much cheaper... Actually a 12v inverter + a little car battery + a little 12v charger to charge it at home would give you maybe 2 charges away from outlets but look at the weight of the battery, not fun to carry car batteries...

JoeKickass,

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Glad the action is smooth now. :tup: I guess it was just an issue with your previous unit. Nice of VapeWorld to help you out. I am always impressed at their customer service. I hope you get your pouch soon. I am very interested to see how you like it. Sorry, I forgot to include a stir stick for you. I meant to, but I forgot.

Slightly Medicated,
Reactions: ilovebOObs

JoeKickass

Grrr, still trying to get it to come back on.. been trying all sorts of drumming variations, still can't get it! dammit...

Edit: Got it! triggered it again, but can't reproduce it.. seems like it has to do with shaking it in a certain rhythm.. then when the white light came on, one more "shake" started off party mode... hmmmm.

Any progress? I need some more help than drumsticks... how fast are you shaking it? fast enough to make the battery flash?

JoeKickass,

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
well ive gotten no reply email, but on the account the trans says pending still... i dont know if i should risk ordering straight from ploom right now, then having two on accident

Xchadb,

kushcabbage

vapor nerd
well ive gotten no reply email, but on the account the trans says pending still... i dont know if i should risk ordering straight from ploom right now, then having two on accident

Or risk having two alternating: one for charging, one for vaping

kushcabbage,
Reactions: Dammit

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs

Patience is a good virtue to have in this situation. I would wait till monday and contact VapeWorld.com They will probably be giving you a call to clarify the payment details with you. If you end up with two you will have to return one or sell it. That is allot of trouble to go through to possibly get it a day or two sooner.

Slightly Medicated,

Xchadb

@Brownglass
Glass Blower
would be nice but i dont have the funds for two :\ maybe one day i can trade some glass to somebody when they get more popular, cause itd be nice to have a dedicated car vape :)

Xchadb,

donald420

None. Actually it's forbiden to ship outside US...
I use a mail forward service.

how much more does that cost? because i live in new zealand and am pretty keen to just do the same thing instead of waiting for ploom to finally bring out a bigger charger and allow companies to ship out of the US

donald420,
Reactions: Elvis

Dammit

Ok spoiler alert for the party mode!

I hold it in the palm of my hand as if it were laying flat on a table then spin it with my thumb and fingers like a screwdriver, after a few spins it kicks on.

Party on wayne!
Party on Garth!
This works like a charm! Just keep rotating it like a misshapen wheel.

Dammit,

BlazedRunner

run high
2012-08-11%2011.51.40.jpg

I did a side to side comparison of my pax and my solo at a local cafe. With Tobacco. I must say, the solo does still deliver a better hit. The chamber is smaller and more ideal for the concentrates that we're going to see more of in years to come. You can't beat the pax for bling value, although surprisingly nobody seemed to care, even when I showed it to people. They don't get it. I guess the whole aesthetic of looking cool at a cafe with a cigarette doesn't transfer to the geekiness factor of the high tech vape.
2012-08-11%2011.56.48.jpg

The Pax on low is about what my solo (M105) feels like at 3. The pax hits hard on the first hit, and then the hit quality tapers off exponentially. The solo has a more mellow hit, but the hit quality tapers more slowly IMO. Contrast this with smoking a bowl or a spliff, where every draw is exactly the same.

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Ok spoiler alert for the party mode!

I hold it in the palm of my hand as if it were laying flat on a table then spin it with my thumb and fingers like a screwdriver, after a few spins it kicks on.

Party on wayne!

Yep! You got it!

Vapinghole,

thevapenazi

NO FIRE FOR YOU!!
hmmm, having no luck with party mode! i'm taking it between my palms, holding it horizontally, and spinnihg it back and forth so the pax spins like a screwdriver.. but no joy :(

btw, blazedrunner: the puple pax looks great, almost black but matches the alexandrite engagement ring i got my wife. how does it look in sunlight? thinking of ordering myself an amethyst one..

thevapenazi,

JoeKickass

hmmm, having no luck with party mode! i'm taking it between my palms, holding it horizontally, and spinnihg it back and forth so the pax spins like a screwdriver.. but no joy :(

Sometimes it was finnicky about being jiggled, spinning it quickly in the air doesn't work either.

But it works even if you turn it pretty slowly. Try to keep all other axis of motion still, like it's just rotating in space.

JoeKickass,

thevapenazi

NO FIRE FOR YOU!!
@joekickass: hahaha yeah, tried spin the bottle and the oven lid flew off, and sprayed ground herb all over the carpet :( hahaha. will try the screwdriver method again in a few, thanks for the tips everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom