Mist Herbal Vaporizer

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Yes a lower low end is something I need to look at. Some early MistVape units were too low so I'm a little gun shy about that I guess. So @paytonpenn what is the highest setting you have used? What is the highest you think is useful? From there I can tone it down and send snacks a different unit.

Yeah, I mean remember on the old prototype it went super low temp, and i told you how I was able to get visible vapor there with a larger load, better taste too, I think that full original range is fine. Remember @paytonpenn you tend to be a high temp vapor don't you? I see no harm in having a very low end available when its a wheel like this, makes more people happy, more fully featured like a true desktop would be. The load you described is close to what I have been doing (dryish herb though, not fresh yet unfortunately), on the lowest 0 setting I am getting 3-5 thick clouds and 1-3 wispy ones, no need to adjust temp I can roast it just as well (limits it slightly which I enjoy, but yes I'd like to start even lower). It does seem likely our units are running at different temp, I'd be surprised if our techniques differed that much, but you've tried staying on the lowest setting using your breath to pull more heat through the load slow and steady? Without paying attention to coil glow or session length, just using that setting to vape a bowl as if it were fixed manual, if that makes sense? I haven't tried anything else yet myself btw but will let you know when I do

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Yeah, I mean remember on the old prototype it went super low temp, and i told you how I was able to get visible vapor there with a larger load, better taste too, I think that full original range is fine. Remember @paytonpenn you tend to be a high temp vapor don't you? I see no harm in having a very low end available when its a wheel like this, makes more people happy, more fully featured like a true desktop would be. The load you described is close to what I have been doing (dryish herb though, not fresh yet unfortunately), on the lowest 0 setting I am getting 3-5 thick clouds and 1-3 wispy ones, no need to adjust temp I can roast it just as well (limits it slightly which I enjoy, but yes I'd like to start even lower). It does seem likely our units are running at different temp, I'd be surprised if our techniques differed that much, but you've tried staying on the lowest setting using your breath to pull more heat through the load slow and steady? Without paying attention to coil glow or session length, just using that setting to vape a bowl as if it were fixed manual, if that makes sense? I haven't tried anything else yet myself btw but will let you know when I do
Lowest setting I was clearly not getting vapor and didn't foresee it happening unless the coil was just running hot but I waited until the coil "blinked" (dimmed) before I started my draw.

My herb is dry, (like 2+ months old), I've only been purchasing concentrates and just found some left in my grinder. I've had the same results as you on a previous Mistvape, our units are definitely running differently below 1 is not too usable but I think that's a good thing. For me my current device's 5 is where it needs to be, any lower is too low. But again, I've had a previous unit where one was just as strong as 5 as well.

I may be a high temp vaper but I test on the entire scale, I don't expect to be at a satisfying high from low temps but I know what vapor to expect and flavor. In the beginning I used to use my EQ/VTower around 170C and finish around 205C. I would not approve this unit if actual low temps were not capable.

Shit Snacks

Lowest setting I was clearly not getting vapor and didn't foresee it happening unless the coil was just running hot but I waited until the coil "blinked" (dimmed) before I started my draw.

My herb is dry, (like 2+ months old), I've only been purchasing concentrates and just found some left in my grinder. I've had the same results as you on a previous Mistvape, our units are definitely running differently below 1 is not too usable but I think that's a good thing. For me my current device's 5 is where it needs to be, any lower is too low. But again, I've had a previous unit where one was just as strong as 5 as well.

I may be a high temp vaper but I test on the entire scale, I don't expect to be at a satisfying high from low temps but I know what vapor to expect and flavor. In the beginning I used to use my EQ/VTower around 170C and finish around 205C. I would not approve this unit if actual low temps were not capable.

Yeah I trust your judgement on all temps, just wanted to make sure we thought of everything, definitely device variance. My herb is similarly aged (brought cross country, will have some Cali fresh at some point soon) and no concentrates though. Thanks again man

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
the very early MistVape (actually called the Mist then) had a high low switch which allowed for two temps, then I figured out how to use the rheostat and get continuous temp control. I am thinking I can rig a jumper on the board and allow for two ranges (both using the rheostat) so we can have something that the user can select. Maybe I'm getting too complicated here, thoughts?

YungLeaner

the very early MistVape (actually called the Mist then) had a high low switch which allowed for two temps, then I figured out how to use the rheostat and get continuous temp control. I am thinking I can rig a jumper on the board and allow for two ranges (both using the rheostat) so we can have something that the user can select. Maybe I'm getting too complicated here, thoughts?
I obviously don't own a unit but I think that as long as the user is capable of temp stepping low to medium to high, user-controlled temp ranges are mostly unneeded.

Shit Snacks

I think my issue might be as simple as when you draw the heater adjusts to maintain a set temp, but it doesn't measure the herbs temp, so if you are drawing through a cycle the heaters glow could raise the temp. The dial definitely limits it so I don't really risk combustion, as I can still manually temp step a small bowl on the lowest setting and just adjust draw based on vapor in throat, stop and pull it out when it gets too hot and harsh. It loses flavor too quickly at the lowest and the neutral taste isnt so pure imo, perhaps with a lower temp for the coil glow, or less coil glow in general, the taste would last longer and the hits would be smoother (maybe even with less stirring, i am doing it nearly every hit, when i dont the vapor is a bit harsher for me). It may just be bc I ignore the coil glow cycle, just turn it on and use at my own pace after as I presumed most would...

I am also starting to think maybe I should send @paytonpenn this new unit to compare to his and confirm if it really is your build variability or simply my user variability? May be better than sending me a second to compare to this, happy to do so, unless you think otherwise

Side note the form is growing on me economically for clutching upright in the first. I still have more testing to do to use it in a way that is conducive to that for me (perhaps the stacked screen sandwich or HI stem)

Last edited:
Shit Snacks,
Reactions: vapen00b

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
I am also starting to think maybe I should send @paytonpenn this new unit to compare to his and confirm if it really is your build variability or simply my user variability? May be better than sending me a second to compare to this, happy to do so, unless you think otherwise

Side note the form is growing on me economically for clutching upright in the first. I still have more testing to do to use it in a way that is conducive to that for me (perhaps the stacked screen sandwich or HI stem)
Have had like 4 Mist units and not one has operated the same (besides what I expected to be changed). One unit ran way too hot, didn't matter where on the dial I was at I could finish a load in 1-3 hits. Another wouldn't allow vaping after it reached the blue light.

The MistVape's lowest setting for me is lower than the grassHoppers starting temperature. My setting one is nowhere near the Arizer Solo's setting 2 (365F). My burner seems to top around 155C on level 1. Goes up to 255C on level 4 but when I draw the air temp is around 190C-210C.

On setting 1 I don't want anyone's herb to be brown even if I was using it for 10 minutes straight, it should just be too low. Even on setting 2 I don't want it to really be brown. Currently my unit follows those guidelines, under setting 1 will not brown the herbs at all but nor will it seem like its vaping.

On my loads I didn't have to stir unless I wanted an entire extraction but it didn't seem necessary as it all just vaped very evenly.

Sand

Flirting with Combustion
Really liked the video. The tunes were on point, the narration was great. Now I want a MV in the arsenal. In particular, your commentary is very specific. You give the impression of being someone with serious attention to detail. I think that's something most people want in a vape reviewer. Specific, not vague.

In the FW thread you said this is sort of like a portable nano. Is it convection? I only looked at the first and last pages of the thread, and it seemed like it was conduction, but your video looks like convection.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
Really liked the video. The tunes were on point, the narration was great. Now I want a MV in the arsenal.

In the FW thread you said this is sort of like a portable nano. Is it convection? I only looked at the first and last pages of the thread, and it seemed like it was conduction, but your video looks like convection.
It is convection, it was condcution. Once I got a Mist in hands it became a convection unit.

It is like a portable Nano/Underdog/Log; its Nano-like because it comes with a builtin dimmer (aka the dial), Compatible with Underdog stems (SS tips too (not nylon)), and features a battery pack.

Shit Snacks

Have had like 4 Mist units and not one has operated the same (besides what I expected to be changed). One unit ran way too hot, didn't matter where on the dial I was at I could finish a load in 1-3 hits. Another wouldn't allow vaping after it reached the blue light.

The MistVape's lowest setting for me is lower than the grassHoppers starting temperature. My setting one is nowhere near the Arizer Solo's setting 2 (365F). My burner seems to top around 155C on level 1. Goes up to 255C on level 4 but when I draw the air temp is around 190C-210C.

On setting 1 I don't want anyone's herb to be brown even if I was using it for 10 minutes straight, it should just be too low. Even on setting 2 I don't want it to really be brown. Currently my unit follows those guidelines, under setting 1 will not brown the herbs at all but nor will it seem like its vaping.

On my loads I didn't have to stir unless I wanted an entire extraction but it didn't seem necessary as it all just vaped very evenly.

Ah alright would that would seem to support me trying a second one tuned like yours as we said then... We'll see

Yes it is extremely log like in use, but the heating element and temp control sessions are quite different, it has its own unique profile and stoney signature, but the stem system is log

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
In case anyone is wondering what is going on here it is. Seems snacks unit is set too hot so he is going to send it back to me and @paytonpenn is going to take some temp measurements on his unit and I'll compare the two. If the temps look similar I'll ask @paytonpenn to test the unit snacks had. If the temps are different I'll adjust. I have an idea for making the temp settings more consistent and will be confirming that before I get too deep into the proposed run of 15 units. Should have some info next week.

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
It isn't pretty right now but conduction dabs with the MistVape are possible. Seems like a great portable e-nail if it gets an all glass or ss/ti stem that has a whip joint and/or sidecar gong. Consider this picture proof of concept, there is a metal plate conducting heat and preventing the oils from falling on the coil.
C9Bdkay.jpg

Maybe the gong could look something like this but with two tapered ends for a hydrotube or standard 90 degree.
rBVaHVTBuWeAA9-rAAEWMSsPJQk183.jpg

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Got snack's unit back today and it was set too hot. Minimum should have been 290 F and it was at 340 F. Definitely hot/cold spot issue. Now using a heat distribution metal plug to get a more uniform temp measurement.

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
So I wasn't crazy! Good news probably
in
Well I wouldn't definitively say you weren't crazy based on this alone :-)
For sure you were right that the temp was too high (as is the rent) thanks for catching that.
Getting three units tuned up with a good chance of having something early next week. I think the next round of testing is gonna be good!

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
My day job is slow so I have time for wrapping up these protos. Figured a way to add a jumper, like on a pc or hard drive circuit board. Two pins that you can fit a jumper cap over. With the cap on the unit is in high range without it in low range. The plan is to have the high end of the low range overlap with the low end of the high range or as close as I can get. Would like to give the option to go really hot and really low, 280 F to 600F.
Should have some results tomorrow.

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Been working away. The two range option is too much for a retro fit so for now that is off the table.
I have come up with a nice improvement on the heater design which gives more even heating and true convection. The design eliminates the aluminum and now the air path is SS, glass, nichrome, the copper wires attached to the nichrome, a tiny bit of hi temp insulation (maybe a sixteenth of an inch at the bottom of the heater), a little bit of wood (about .05 sq in of maple at the heater base) and the air inlet hole which is through the quilted maple.
Here is an early model of the heater, the floor is now covered by SS in the pic it is just wood.
http://imgur.com/2BiKCDT
Plan on shipping to @paytonpenn on Monday.
The exterior of the MistVape will be the same, this only changes and improves the heater.

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I applaud you for sharing a picture of your heater design as most manufacturer's would be weary of sharing their trade secrets. I like how you have progressed your project as I have been paying attention for quite some time now.

The concern I would have after seeing your heater design is that you may still have a great deal of inconsistency in the heater from unit to unit. The way the nichrome wire is wrapped around the white tube (is that just wood) seems like it could be different in every unit. If one unit is wrapped tighter than the other or if the nichrome is coiled up tighter in one unit it may have different heating properties I would think. Perhaps you have a way to control this, but I was just bringing it up to hear your thoughts. One thought I had was that you could make the nichrome coil around the white tube (rather than a coiled wire wrapping the tube) and create a jig to do this so they are exactly the same each time.

Something more like this but obviously wrapped more consistently:

I really like watching your progression so keep it up!

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
thanks for the note. I'm not worried about someone copying the design, there is so much more involved. The heater control is a microchip with a lot of program code so no worries there. Also I want to be as transparent as possible, people should know exactly what they are getting and how it works.
As far as the coil design I have found that the coiled coil is actually quite reproducible. Each coil is exactly the same length and diameter, then it wraps around the central post (which is ceramic by the way, forgot to mention that in the air path explanation). The wrap around the ceramic post is always the same number of wraps. finally I can tweak the temperature with a trimmer pot that is only accessible as the unit is being manufactured. So each unit behaves in a very similar fashion.
I have been working on this for 6 years now and when it goes into production I only expect to make a limited number unless there is crazy demand. I have done the entire project, design and manufacture (not to mention funding :-( ).

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
Getting consistent temps and nice performance. Lowest setting little or no vapor production, then increasing vapor from one to 2.5 with browned herb. Around 4 there is some charring and on max it will definitely char unless you move the cup screen way up away from the heater. Taking my time and trying to anticipate any problems or inconvenient points before I ship the test units out. Hoping to ship the first test unit in a day or two.

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
I have been tweaking the temp profile. I can get lots of low end or lots of high end, hard to have both - looking for a sweet spot.
On the lowest setting there is flavor and the mildest of effects, at 3 it is a very nice effect but not knock out. I am trying to move that up a bit so the lowest setting has a little more effect but is still very mild then 2 would be very nice and 3 and up would be strong.
I just made a modification that I think will work but it will take me all day tomorrow and Saturday to test, I don't have the tolerance for long testing sessions. I can measure temps all day long and that is useful but actual testing is the key and I want to have it working nicely before I ship to testers.

mistvaporizer

Manufacturer
packed up the latest test unit for shipping in the morning. Working on setting the temp on the next unit. Initially settings very close to the last unit just need to tweak it a little bit. Planning on three more proto units then I'll concentrate on the pending mini production run.

PPN

Volute of Vapor
Since I can't be one of the testers team, how is it possible you count me for one production unit?

Is there a list or something similar?

PPN,
Top Bottom