• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Magic Flight Launch Tube

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
CapnVape said:
magicflight said:
Hi,

We warranty all parts, including the glass, even if its broken due to user error.
We will send a direct replacement, or if such becomes available, an upgrade,
(depending on user needs).
:o This is the best warranty I have ever heard of. I mean who covers user error, that's incredible.
Hi,

I wish we could claim that we are the first company to do this ... but we are not. It has been done before by companies like LLBean, whose excellent service policies are legendary. This company is still around today, so obviously, such a policy can work. We figure that it makes good business sense, particularly in the long term and in a larger context.

-- Magic-Flight.com

magicflight,

420Downunder

In a world where the majority of manufacturers would run in the opposite direction when presented with a warranty claim I salute your attitude.

420Downunder,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
I got the unit , batteries are charging , look curious :hmm: ! btw thanks a lot for it MF !! i will let you know what I think about it asap !!

with all those vap to test I'll need an herb sponsor :lol: just kidding ......:whip:

Clear_Dome,

JohnnyVape

Vape wannabee, again
^^ dont push ya luck you already got a free vape. :lol: Time to get shit-faced my friend ! :p

JohnnyVape,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
hahaha dude I was just teasing ''the fucker'' ;)
some pix tho see the size of the unit :

it look ruff and fragile a bit imo ! just a first thought..cant wait to try it

Clear_Dome,

JohnnyVape

Vape wannabee, again
:lol: does it come with a shorter inhalation tube CD ?, that thing looks like it could be awkward to carry about.

Thanks for the nice pics by the way.

JohnnyVape,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
not but you probably can cut it your selft , it's not made of glass...Dude I just notice your signature ! LOL I love it ! same thing here

Clear_Dome,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
I actually quite like the bare essentials 'rough' aspect of this thing. A Steampunk vape? Hell yeah! As long as the functionality is there.

Look forward to your thoughts, CD. I bet you're already thinking up some custom glass inhalation tubes. :brow:

vtac,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Phaang said:
One thing about stealth AofZ: there is no provision to hold the weed in the screen while traveling, moving about, etc. So, part of the vaping process is actually loading the screen, which, due to it's small size and delicacy, you need to pay some attention to. You'll have to pinch your load, slide the sleeve, drop the load onto the screen, move it around a bit with your finger or poking device to settle it into the screen, then close the sleeve and get ready to rotate the battery into place. Tough to do all that without someone wondering what you were doing with your busy hands all hunched over your lap! LOL. Nice idea with the hose up the sleeve, though!
Hi,

In regards to the questions about stealth, I can offer some observations. When our team first began designing vaporizers, our primary objective was to attain the highest overall absolute efficiency in a portable vaporizer -- how to get the best yield from the load -- the most from the least. And we succeeded too -- lab testing of our 1st product offering (NOT the Launch Tube) was demonstratively the most efficient portable vaporizer in the world. Naturally, it also had excellent taste!

However, despite our technical success, our alpha-test users quickly pointed out that while the efficiency was great, 'ease of use' and 'reasonable cost' were more important than efficiency. Our first device was both very expensive and rather complex to operate (the details are too involved to go into here). As such, the engineering team went back to the drawing board -- to try to create something that was portable, less expensive and easier to use. Many product revisions later, the Launch Tube was arrived at as an acceptable compromise -- it is much faster, costs less, and is somewhat easier to use -- yet it also is somewhat less efficient.

Although we have succeeded in producing the fastest possible vaporizer, the Launch Tube is not the absolute most efficient vaporizer in the world (at least with respect to our lab standards). One disadvantage of being ultra-fast is that the Launch Tube is also (probably) not quite as good tasting as some of the non-portable units that are available -- particularly after the second hit on a single load (to some extent, this depends on the skill of the user).

The Launch Tube is a bit like a really expensive sports car -- fast and fantastic performance when out in the country on windy twisty roads -- and yet not nearly so much fun when in your hometown driving in heavy traffic. Also, a fast sports car is great when driving on paved roads -- and not so good when on dirt roads or when bushwhacking out in the wild (although the Launch Tube is wind proof, it is not rain proof). Similarly, a fast car is not so good for heavy-lifting utilitarian purposes -- for that we would naturally recommend a vehicle more like a big truck (the Volcano vaporizer comes to mind). It is also somewhat of a given that a fast car is generally NOT stealthy! In fact, auto makers usually go for the opposite -- to have high performance cars be as obvious and to "show off" as much as possible. People who are buying this sort of vehicle usually are informed as to what they are getting into.

We are aware that the Launch Tube is not the most stealthy device -- we were not trying for that. Nor did we go to any special extent to make it especially artful or expensive like a fast car (although we could have -- it was against our philosophy). As such, we know that the Launch Tube has some disadvantages -- this is to be expected.

Question: How important is stealth? Would you be willing to buy a product that was a lot stealthier and nearly as fast, yet was somewhat less efficient than even the Launch Tube? Would you be willing to accept that for nearly perfect stealth and perfect speed that the taste of the vapor might not be nearly as good as a vape you could plug in at home or wait five minutes for?

The advanced development team at Magic-Flight would be very interested to know.

-- Magic-Flight.com

magicflight,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
i wold like to see an inhalation tube that comes straight out of the unit if it wouldnt compromise the temp. of the vapor. the long curved tube just seems uncomfortable instead of ergonomic. can't wait to hear a review cause im astonished at how tiny the unit is.

illadelph,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Question: How important is stealth? Would you be willing to buy a product that was a lot stealthier and nearly as fast, yet was somewhat less efficient than even the Launch Tube? Would you be willing to accept that for nearly perfect stealth and perfect speed that the taste of the vapor might not be nearly as good as a vape you could plug in at home or wait five minutes for?
All very good questions with just as many different answers from different people. For me, I want my portable to be stealthy with good flavor. My iolite works good, but flavor isn't all that great, so I don't use mine all that much. It is perfect to use in a pinch when I have nothing else, but if the flavor was better, I think I would use it more often. When you say efficiency, can you further define that? Do you mean the most amount of vapor considering the amount of material that you use?

stonemonkey55,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Why can't you make something that's everything to everybody? :D

vtac,

Acolyte of Zinglon

Wizard-Ninja
it looks like the battery holder is the main obstacle to stealth, other than the herb falling out of the screen, which makes it necessary to pack when youre going to vape instead of haing bowl already packed and ready to go

if i might make a suggestion, and this may be something that even the end user can do, a battery pack that would sort of clip onto the bottom of the unit, and a simple mechanical button switch would bump up the "ease of use" and the stealth operation, as it would allow for a user to operate the device with only one hand

i think that as far as stealth is concerned, this portable is already well above several others just because of the fact that it uses electricity rather than a flame. a good amount of stealth imo, is the ability to use it in a movie theater during a matinee or some time when it isnt packed and be able to vape there with nobody noticing you

as far as efficiency- in a portable efficiency is great but for the purposes of most people, its ok to sacrifice a little efficiency to make it easier to use on the go, but in my opinion, keeping to the philosophy of a smaller (0.05-0.1g) load that is thoroughly vaporized is a great strategy, and is used by a very popular home unit, the purple days, which is renowned for its efficiency (uses around 0.03-0.07g per load), and is often suggested as a companion vape to large hitting vaporizers such as the ssv

Acolyte of Zinglon,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
MagicFlight...

I'm glad to see you asking these questions because I have been thinking about your product a lot today. You have asked 'what do you want?' I kept thinking 'what do you want to be?'

You ask what is more important - stealth, speed, taste, efficiency? I think you'll find that answer varies for each user. I agree with AofZ that when I get a portable, the most important thing is portability and I expect efficiency and taste to be compromised. The second most important thing for me in a portable is stealth. What good is taking it with you if it's only going to get you arrested?

I'm very curious about your design and specifications. From reading your posts, it seems there are a lot of technical issues and calibrations going on to get this thing to work. I think you mentioned some type of special glass coating or something, and something special about the screen. I was definitely impressed with the thought and research that went into it.

Now please allow me to be a little critical, without having seen one in person or tried it. For me, first and foremost in a portable, I need to be able to load it and put it in my pocket so it is ready to use on demand. Obviously the MLF doesn't allow that. Maybe the screen could have a cover made of the same material so it can be enclosed and put in a pocket? Another barrier for me is that it reminds me of something I would see at a High School science fair. Unless there is something special about the glass or screen that is expensive, I can't see this thing costing more than $8 to $10 to make (excluding batteries and charger). And the fact that it is being reported as a little cumbersome for a portable (must load it on the road, two-hand operation is best) is also unattractive. I say all this not to be mean or hack on the product, but because it led me to wonder...

...what are you trying to be? It's entirely possible that some or all elements of your design would excel greater as a home unit. Or maybe it needs some more designing and then it could be a great portable. At the moment the MLF seems to have only two great portable characteristics: speed and size. Right now there are some great portable units out there, some cheaper than the MLF, so I can't give it a high mark on price.

I have more to say, and it hasn't been rolling around in my head long enough and I have to go now, but I wanted to throw some things at you now seeing as how you have asked for input.

stickstones,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
illadelph said:
i wold like to see an inhalation tube that comes straight out of the unit if it wouldnt compromise the temp. of the vapor. the long curved tube just seems uncomfortable instead of ergonomic. can't wait to hear a review cause im astonished at how tiny the unit is.
Hi,

I think that we can offer a section of tubing instead of the shaped tube. Some people did not like the use of tubing for various reasons (which is why it is not listed as an item on the web site), but I think I can make a few as "specials" for people. Please keep in mind that any units which are made 'custom' will take up to a week to ship -- not all of our team is in the same place and some coordination of activity is necessary.
Although I cannot promise to be able to do anything/everything as far as customization is concerned, if people are looking for special personalized units, please contact us via email, and it will get discussed on a case by case basis.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
vtac said:
Why can't you make something that's everything to everybody? :D
Were we merely to be educated as to exactly how, we might be willing to give it a try :)

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hi AofZ,

Thank you for the feedback. I agree that there are two possible improvements -- 1) a place to store the battery, and 2) the ability to load and carry. There has been much discussion internally and both of these objectives have become firm considerations for the designs currently being developed. Please watch this space for a possible future announcement of our accepting beta test applications.

-- Magic-Flight

Acolyte of Zinglon said:
it looks like the battery holder is the main obstacle to stealth, other than the herb falling out of the screen, which makes it necessary to pack when youre going to vape instead of haing bowl already packed and ready to go

if i might make a suggestion, and this may be something that even the end user can do, a battery pack that would sort of clip onto the bottom of the unit, and a simple mechanical button switch would bump up the "ease of use" and the stealth operation, as it would allow for a user to operate the device with only one hand

i think that as far as stealth is concerned, this portable is already well above several others just because of the fact that it uses electricity rather than a flame. a good amount of stealth imo, is the ability to use it in a movie theater during a matinee or some time when it isnt packed and be able to vape there with nobody noticing you

as far as efficiency- in a portable efficiency is great but for the purposes of most people, its ok to sacrifice a little efficiency to make it easier to use on the go, but in my opinion, keeping to the philosophy of a smaller (0.05-0.1g) load that is thoroughly vaporized is a great strategy, and is used by a very popular home unit, the purple days, which is renowned for its efficiency (uses around 0.03-0.07g per load), and is often suggested as a companion vape to large hitting vaporizers such as the ssv

magicflight,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Hi Stickstones,

First off, thank you for a very thoughtful reply!

In regards to your counter question of: "what do you want to be", I think that I can answer both for myself and for the company as a whole in saying: "to live sustainably and to be well regarded". In a more specific sense, we want our products to be portable vapes that are both quick and quiet. I hope that this at least partly gets at what you were meaning in your question.

In regards to your observations, what I am hearing you say is that the device is being perceived as somewhat cumbersome to operate -- and that stealthiness is definitely wanted. This is good feedback -- it helps us to improve our possible future offerings -- stealthiness will definitely need to be worked in somehow. Stay tuned for more.

In regards to the design specifications, there are a number of things which are 'special' in the manufacture -- most of which is probably well outside of the interest of nearly everyone beyond our own staff. What I can report for my own part is that this whole business has made me well aware that there is a surprising amount of 'tech' that goes into making something seem 'simple' and apparently easy. In fact, its practically a truism that the easier something appears to be, the harder it is technically to achieve -- the Launch Tube is no exception.

Thanks again for thoughts.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,

marcuss

above the clouds
magicflight said:
Hi,

For those people who are looking for an independent review of the Launch Tube, please check out the Dopefiend report, podcast 164 (march 16, 2009), at http://dopefiend.co.uk. If your player allows it,
the commentary on the Launch Tube begins around time 24:40 (twenty four minutes into a podcast
that runs about an hour) and lasts for about 10 minutes.

-- Magicflight.com
thanks for the link but we are waiting for a real indipendent review from this forum...sorry but we are the 1st in this field ;) as you see we do not sell vapes!

marcuss,

Purple-Days

Hi Magic Flight,

Your use of language is quite interesting. Forums are largely text based devices for the sharing of information. Proper use of English words is important to a clear understanding of your intended meaning. A surprising number of members use English as a second language.

I am puzzled by quite a few of your words :/:uhoh: , but will limit myself to two of them.

Would you please elaborate on prorogation . In post #4 on page one, in a rather technical discussion of, "specific electrical as well as mechanical tolerances" you use the term, "current prorogation". And on page two of this thread, on post #49, you use the term, "infrared prorogation".

Are both uses correct? Could you please define prorogation and how it is, as you say, "applied to something so "simple" as vaporization" ?

The other word that I would like you to elaborate on, is in Post #1, paragraph #1. It is natural . I'll quote the entire sentence. You say,"Our device is compact, robust, reliable, and natural."

Could you elaborate on that last word, natural ? Specifically as it applies to two of your major components. The acrylic tubing (as described in Wikipedia as: "Poly(methyl methacrylate) (PMMA) poly(methyl 2-methylpropenoate) is a thermoplastic and transparent plastic. Chemically, it is the synthetic polymer of methyl methacrylate." ? If you are not using PMMA, please be more specific than, "acrylic tubing".

And how might the word natural apply to the NiMH rechargeable batteries? That use seems equally inappropriate, without further qualification.

Thanks for taking your valuable time to elaborate on these points.

Purple-Days,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
let me start like this :

well this vaporizer work just as I was thinking , this morning my batteries were full charge so I decide to test it 2 minut after I woke up . I load the screen as about 3/4 of the capacity and connect the batterie , it defently make vapor but really soon I notice the dark brown color on the herb that was direclty touching the screen (as the screen get hot) but the herb on top was still green ...so I load it back with less herb than start back to vaporize ,the first 2-3 hit was good but once again in short period of time the herb direcly on the sreen became pretty dark .I feel like the vap heat to much cause as you can see I can combust (no ignitation but still too hot to vaporize ), also take a look to how the color among the herb change , I cant say that I have a uniform vaporization . But I dont want to conclude to fast , It might take some practice to get a good vaporization . I'll continu to test it 2d .

Also why did you use acrylic ? the mouth piece can easily be made of Borosilicate ? the batterie sleve is a bit stiff too , It damage the batterie a bit the first time I put it inside
]

Clear_Dome,

biopharmacopeia

Hi everyone:

As posters and even the developers are pointing out, this vaporizer has many issues and aspects that could already be improved. Maybe we should be considering it more as a "proof-of-principle" prototype, and first see if the reviewers even find the underlying basic design and functionality in the acceptable range.

To me, this appears to be a conduction vaporizer (generally less than optimal, but fast-heating, which is good) secondarily inducing some convection flow (generally desired, the usual) through the material. This just doesn't seem likely to meet the high performance standards that most in this group probably want or are used to. But, it would be great, if this works well in its own way, and stainless steel screens as heating elements add to our vaporizer choices. Perhaps, this current design might evolve into a good simple and cheap entry vaporizer or backup unit.

Otherwise, I'm sure reviewers and early purchasers will be experimenting, with some using and even remounting the screen and/or device in many novel ways. For example, the current device might perform well (although potentially awkward to handle) as a near-instant-heating conduction vaporizer, if one coated the screen with a thin layer of fine powder, with this probably more suited for single-hit use.

biopharmacopeia,

Clear_Dome

Vaporhead
Glass Blower
I have to say some good thing about the magic fly now LOL , I just try a really thin layer of herb on the screen with some super finly ground herb and it work pretty good , it's also pretty fun to see the herb vaporize LIVE LOL this way I can also juge better when to stop to heat , so no more burn ...not bad not bad ;) , but hey I have to say that it look more like a beta version , I feel like if the unit was more ergonomic it would be a big + , but the fact that you can see the vapor is realy cool , I'll have to make a lil vid of this :) ...

you know I'm just trying it like ''the normal user'' so I think is normal to not fall in love with it at the first use , every vap have a learning curve !

Clear_Dome,

biopharmacopeia

Clear_Dome said:
but hey I have to say that it look more like a beta version ,
To me, it looks like what I recall the first crude experimental light bulbs looked like when visiting Thomas Edison's labs in NJ. Glass chambers holding wires or carbonized cotton threads or strips held between two copper electrode rods. With the Magic Flight seeming to be at the same street address as a high-tech lighting company [I presume that here on FC we do or need not identify companies or people who have not themselves disclosed their identity to the group], this may be the root of the device's "retro" design.

biopharmacopeia,

magicflight

Manufacturer
Manufacturer
Purple-Days said:
Would you please elaborate on prorogation ....
The other word that I would like you to elaborate on ... is natural ...
Hi,

Ah -- you have caught me in the improper use of a spell checker. The word intended is "propagate" -- in reference to a pattern of movement through multiple dimensions of space.

In regards to "natural", the thinking is of the actual operating unit itself in the sense of 'natural physics' (analog rather than digital) as well as natural materials. You are quite correct that the battery is made with inorganic compounds -- mainly nickel. However, be aware that the alternate choice was to use Cadmium batteries -- much worse environmentally than NiMh. Basically, the energy must come from somewhere, and all of the choices -- even butane -- will be regarded as synthetic.

In regards to the draw tube, we had considered making it with glass -- and even had several made this way -- yet our testers tended to break them. Overall, it was felt by most customers that durability was more important in this particular case. On an even earlier prototype version of this device, there was no draw tube at all -- rather there was a place to put the lips directly on the unit. Although this prior unit was made completely with renewable materials (sans battery), it proved unpopular since the users could not see the vapor forming and the draw tube was added as requested by popular vote.

-- Magic-Flight

magicflight,
Top Bottom