scoobie-doobie

I can vouch for xikar & lucienne in the USA. You'll find those in tobacco shops, or wherever high end butane lighters might be found.

SD

scoobie-doobie,

oldgeezers940

I've been using King butane here in Maryland... It's what the guy at the tobacco shop suggested.

So I've been having an issue. I've been vaping aromatic and cavendish pipe tobaccos, but the first few hits are always EXTREMELY irritating to my throat... I've found using the extension with the little metal piece in it helps a bit, but it still is irritating. but just the first few hits. Anyone have similar issues with this or know why this might be happening?

oldgeezers940,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I have heard that from folks in the e-cig world using the Iolite w/ tobaccos. Many suggest letting it heat/sit for several minutes before drawing. Not sure if that will help.

You might look into the shishas folks are using in them as well. I tried teasha (made from tea instead of tobacco). I prefer the e-cigs myself but many are using the Iolite with tobaccos, nicotine juice, etc.

Frog is the expert in that area, he has a site with info too:
http://www.xsmoker.info/?q=node/21

Lo,

oldgeezers940

oh awesomeness, I never thought to try shisha. If letting it cycle several times doesn't work i'll give that a try.

I considered investing in an e-cig but figured the iolite would be more of an all purpose device.

but thanks for the site, I'll check it out.

oldgeezers940,

Lo

No problem! I am about 10 months off cigs (after 25+years) with the e-cig. It changed my life.

Might read about the e-cigs too if you're interested. There's threads here somewhere and several forums. A few of us users here too so if you have questions start a thread or bump an e-cig thread so we don't hijack Iolite's lol.

I love my Iolites though :D A LOT!

Lo,

oldgeezers940

Yea, I'm still just a mild cigg smoker. and even more mild now that I got my iolite =)

but if/when the habit picks up i'll deff be looking into one. hopefully the prices may drop a bit too....

wallets still hurting from the recent iolite purchase =P

but back on topic, anyone ever come across mini butane cans? for me the most inconvenient aspect of the whole thing is carrying around a big ole can of butane. Especially now that summers upon us and I'm not too keen on leaving a can of that in my hot car... It'd be nice to find some small canisters that could refill the iolite a few times. maybe these small canisters could even be refillable themselves?

oldgeezers940,

Lo

Colibri butane comes in small cans perfect for travel and high quality stuff.

Lo,

greystr0ke

I too quit smoking cigarettes with the help of the e-cigarette. It's been about 8 months now for me. After using the e-cig for about 5 months, I one day just decided to stop and since then I haven't picked up a cigarette or the e-cig again.

Oh and I'm about to hit the iolite. :p

greystr0ke,

oldgeezers940

great advice Lo. Just let my iolite sit for a few minutes with some pipe tobacco. first drag had ALOT of vapor but not the irritation that usually comes with that first one. big throat hit though. need to find where i put that condensor piece...

oldgeezers940,

Bubonic

Hey guys I've been reading about this vaporizer for a little and watching some videos on it, and every video I watch there is never really a lot of vapor that comes out. I own a DBV and whenever I use it I get a nice cloud in every hit. Does the Iolite not produce much vapor, and if so wouldn't that mean that the little amount that comes out is less concentrated than vapor from a Silver Surfer, DBV, Cano, etc....?

Bubonic,

Lo

If I let the Iolite sit a bit between draws I can get nice clouds but not SSV type clouds. It does get the job done just not heavy hitting like DB or SSV, etc.

Lo,

oldgeezers940

what about any advice on filling the thing? I feel like its hit or miss... sometimes I'll fill it up really well and it will last a few sessions, other times i fill it up and the butane flow is extremely slow and eventually dies out.

I have a feeling that sometimes I may actually be emptying the iolite while I am trying to fill it, but I can't figure out why? Should I be shaking or not shaking the can of butane before filling?:/

oldgeezers940,

greystr0ke

Bubonic said:
Hey guys I've been reading about this vaporizer for a little and watching some videos on it, and every video I watch there is never really a lot of vapor that comes out. I own a DBV and whenever I use it I get a nice cloud in every hit. Does the Iolite not produce much vapor, and if so wouldn't that mean that the little amount that comes out is less concentrated than vapor from a Silver Surfer, DBV, Cano, etc....?
You can definitely exhale visible vapor but it's just not very thick. The appearance can also be affected by the lighting. In rooms with all white walls, I can barely see anything when I exhale. However, outside or in my car it looks like I'm blowing out thick ass hits.

My iolite has gotten kind of dirty or discolored on the inside of the heating chamber. I tried using some iso tonight but it didn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

greystr0ke,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
greystr0ke said:
My iolite has gotten kind of dirty or discolored on the inside of the heating chamber. I tried using some iso tonight but it didn't seem to work. Any suggestions?
I don't think you'll be able to recapture the look of new aluminum. Some people in this thread claim that the unit works hotter as it gets soiled. I don't know it that is true.

When I do clean it, I usually put a little ISO in the body cavity and keep it upright overnight in a glass. I use a round toothpick with a flatted end to "scrub" the bottom of the cavity. I've even used a straightened wire from a large paper clip.

You can push the aluminum part out of the mouthpiece with the supplied brass tool and soak it in alcohol. I usually remove the 5 dot screen for cleaning.

Oldgeezer wrote:

I have a feeling that sometimes I may actually be emptying the iolite while I am trying to fill it, but I can't figure out why? Should I be shaking or not shaking the can of butane before filling?

I know exactly what you mean. Every now and then it is good to completely empty the Iolite - like after a session. That way, you'll get rid of any air that might be displacing the butane. Some people say that "bumping" the can when filling, that is, shorter, small matings (or connections between unit tank and butane can): Engage, release -engage, release, engage release: will fill it better. YMMV

macbill,

OldTimer

GUTTED :(
I`ve only had my I-olite for 5 days and its knackered already, the plastic at the bottom of the mouth piece has disintergrated where it joins the metal screw thread. Seeing that the I-olite only comes with one mouth piece with the metal thread its now useless until i can find a replacement, more money only 5 days after spending 140 to purchase it. Until this happened the I-olite was getting top marks now im just sat looking at something i cant even use and its not really something any of the local shops are going to supply spare parts for. Is the I-iolite shite or am i just unlucky? i love the I-iolite however i cant help thinking that certain parts ie the mouth piece are not made big enough to cope with only a small amount of use and no i havent dropped it infact its been treasured up until this point, bloody hell better get the rolling papers back out :(

OldTimer,

greystr0ke

That's a fairly common problem around these parts. I just experienced the disappointment a few weeks ago and had to order new replacement mouthpieces. It should really come with extras for this very reason.

You can always try making something to use in place of the mouthpiece until your replacements arrive.

greystr0ke,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
OldTimer said:
GUTTED :(
I`ve only had my I-olite for 5 days and its knackered already, the plastic at the bottom of the mouth piece has disintergrated where it joins the metal screw thread. :(
I've never seen this stem up close: does the metal portion of the stem protrude from the body a 1/4 inch or so? If it does, maybe you could get some heat resistant tubing to place over it?

macbill,

oldgeezers940

would you mind posting a picture of what happened to the stem?

I've heard people talking about this issue but mine looks very durable. :/

oldgeezers940,

greystr0ke

It just basically snaps off right above the metal threading. It almost becomes flush with the top of the herb chamber. It's a really sad thing to be honest. After mine broke, I said I was gonna remove it every time I was done with it but that lasted a few days. I think mine is due to break any day now. lol

That just took 30 minutes to type. :ko: Two sessions back to back with 4 different batches of fire.

My question of the day.... I bought a grinder when I purchased the iolite and since then I have accumulated quite a lot of kief (sp?). Can't believe I didn't own one of these sooner as I feel that I've really missed out. My question is since the only vape I currently own is the iolite, would you guys suggest hitting it straight out the io or hitting it out of RooR or Sheldon Black? Also, would it be better to mix it with herb or hit it straight? TIA

greystr0ke,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
greystr0ke said:
. My question is since the only vape I currently own is the iolite, would you guys suggest hitting it straight out the io or hitting it out of RooR or Sheldon Black? Also, would it be better to mix it with herb or hit it straight? TIA
I don't know squat about glass other than the Glass Vapor Genie (its great!) But if you want to use it in your I/O it is best to mix it in (or layer) with your herb. Otherwise, it can melt an clog the screen quickly. It does prolong a session.

Sometimes I combust some kief atop some primo bud in a pipe. Yeah. I'm a bad boy.

macbill,

smoknaces

Account Closed
does anyone know what the iolite is comprised of? It's not plastic is it?

Anyone know if it gives off any VOC's?

smoknaces,

pktrkt1

My bad iolite experience.
I bought an iolite in February to help me deal with the pain of shingles. The thing was always hard to ignite from day one. It took a few clicks to get it going. Then I saw on their website that it doesn't work well above 1600m. Huh, 1600m is 5249 feet and I live at 5280 in Denver. It is funny how they have no trouble selling them here. So after four months now when I push the button it goes in a little and stops and there is no click anymore.
So I write iolite an email and tell them my trouble, mention that I can't find my receipt and ask if I could pay them to fix it or if they would help me fix it with instructions or a diagram. I get back from them to try and purge the tank a couple times, like they didn't even read my problem. They act like they can get away with bad service and a lousy product because they sell to a bunch of law breaking dopers, when its the sick and dying that buy these things.
Now I have the rubber pulled off the side that does not say made in ireland and I am looking at two very strange looking screws that will probably have to be drilled out. I figure it must be some simple linkage problem that I can hopefully fix myself with no help from ireland. Once I get it apart I will take pictures and post them.
I will never buy another iolite or anything else made in ireland

pktrkt1,
Top Bottom