Budz Bunny

ttomo said:
StickyShisha said:
i used a dremel to carve airways on the outside of the chamber and on the inside of the plastic cover of the chamber. i also opened the clean air in hole next to where the straw attaches.
sounds neat - i'd like to see some pictures of this
I would love to see pictures also.

Budz Bunny,

OmniSmurfZ

I think a compilation of all the mods and tweaks should be made into its own thread...?

btw Been reading this thread for a bit, just never really felt the need to post =/.. I've had an iolite for over a year and half now and its still working great!

OmniSmurfZ,

wakenvape

I'm having problems with my iolite.
It won't ignite and it keeps sputtering when I turn it on, then goes to the normal hissing sound. Also, sometimes it gets really loud then really quiet. I can get the blue flame to come on sometimes but then it just slowly sputters out and dies. I have purged it twice and refilled it completely and I even let it just run out until there was no more butane or air. I can get it to light usually after a while but it's not reliable anymore :(

wakenvape,

greystr0ke

Are you trying to light it right after you refill it? Sometimes mine will take at least 5 tries before it starts to ignite.

greystr0ke,

Budz Bunny

wakenvape said:
I'm having problems with my iolite.
It won't ignite and it keeps sputtering when I turn it on, then goes to the normal hissing sound. Also, sometimes it gets really loud then really quiet. I can get the blue flame to come on sometimes but then it just slowly sputters out and dies. I have purged it twice and refilled it completely and I even let it just run out until there was no more butane or air. I can get it to light usually after a while but it's not reliable anymore :(
What brand of fuel and how much is left in the can?

Budz Bunny,

wakenvape

Its Power, the blue kind 5x super refined. It came with my iolite and it's got about 1/3 left.

wakenvape,

Budz Bunny

wakenvape said:
Its Power, the blue kind 5x super refined. It came with my iolite and it's got about 1/3 left.
hmmmm. I can tell you that when I get toward the end of a can it does not give it quite the refill that a new can will, but its usually closer to empty than 1/3 that I experience this. You may want to try a new can before sending in for warranty.

Budz Bunny,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Budz Bunny said:
wakenvape said:
hmmmm. I can tell you that when I get toward the end of a can it does not give it quite the refill that a new can will, but its usually closer to empty than 1/3 that I experience this. You may want to try a new can before sending in for warranty.
After refill are you allowing it to warm up to ambient temp. Roughly five minutes.

chucku,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I have also had issues with butane when it gets near the end of can...even high quality stuff! I haven't heard of the brand you mentioned but if it's 5X refined that is a good sign.

Below are some troubleshooting tips from Iolite, hopefully something in there you haven't tried yet. If not you may have to contact them for service but many times the problem can be sovled through some troubleshooting.

Good luck!

Iolite Troubleshoot:

Unfortunately as the iolite is a butane device it will have problems with the cold.

If the temperature is close to or below freezing (as it is now) the iolite will need to be warmed to room/body temperature before ignition. However when hot and running it will function correctly.

I realise you have vented/refilled the iolite already, however, here are our up to date instructions for this process which may differ from yours.

Please follow the following troubleshooting below to vent and refill the iolite.

Also please use a new can of butane for this procedure. (Please note this may need to be done at least twice)

1. Please make sure to read the warning on the back of your can of butane before proceeding with the following instructions.

2. Move to a well ventilated area, outside is best.

3. Make sure the unit is off. Turn the unit upside down and point away from your body. Make sure your face is not in the path of the released gas.

4. Using the small end of the handtool (if you have the newer hand tool it will be too large to use, in this case use the lid of a biro or something that will fit but not damage the valve), depress the gas valve and let all the gas dispel ensuring to keep hands clear of liquid gas spraying from the valve, this may take up to or more than 1 minute, it will be empty when you can no longer hear a hiss.

5. Please do not use a nearly empty can of butane fuel as this may cause problems with the functioning of the iolite.

6. Hold the iolite in one hand with the gas valve at the top.

7. With your other hand hold the butane can upside down.

8. Position the butane can at an angle and offer it to the filling valve then move the can perpendicular to the filling valve ensuring a good seal.

9. Press down gently but firmly (excessive spray back is a sign that either the butane can has not created a proper seal or the gas tank may already be full).

10. When the iolite is full, there will be visible spray back of fuel from the valve.

11. Leave the iolite to stand for at least 5 minutes (always do this after refuelling).

12. Turn the iolite on. Don't try to ignite it.

13. Leave it to run for about 15 minutes.

14. Repeat the above steps.

15. Press the igniter in a firm and sharp manner (you may need to do this up to 3 times for ignition to occur).

16. The red glow may not appear for a few seconds after ignition.

Below are some usage/refilling tips.

The following are tips for using the iolite:

1. Grind your herb relatively fine.

2. Loosely pack the bowl to 3 quarters full, if you pack it too tight this will impede the function of the iolite as there will be less air flow and the heat will not circulate as well.

3. Turn the iolite on and wait for the initial cycle to complete, around 45 seconds to a minute, the red light will disappear.

4. You may now inhale from the iolite, if you want a larger initial hit then leave the iolite to cook the herb for a further minute or 2.

5. To inhale properly; This is not like a cigarette, the vapour must be drawn directly into the lungs, also sucking hard and quick on the mouthpiece will not work correctly, a gentle approach is required to gain the best from the iolite. Take a long, slow, gentle inhale straight into the lung, try not to suck in any air apart from through the mouthpiece, then hold it for a comfortable period of time, exhale and draw on the iolite again until the herb is depleted.

6. The herb is depleted when it turns to a toasty brown colour throughout, some people also say it tastes like burnt popcorn. This is a case of gaining experience and over time you will be able to judge correctly when the herb is depleted.

To refill the iolite with fuel properly:

1. Hold the iolite in one hand with the gas valve at the top.

2. With your other hand hold the butane can upside down.

3. Position the butane can at an angle and offer it to the filling valve then move the can perpendicular to the filling valve ensuring a good seal.

4. Press down gently but firmly (excessive spray back is a sign that either the butane can has not created a proper seal or the gas tank may already be full).

5. When the iolite is full, there will be visible spray back of fuel from the valve.

6. Leave the iolite to stand for at least 5 minutes (always do this after refuelling).

7. Turn the iolite on, the switch should be at 1.

8. Press the igniter in a firm and sharp manner (you may need to do this up to 3 times for ignition to occur).

9. The red glow may not appear for a few seconds after ignition.

Lo,

ttomo

wakenvape said:
The company i ordered my io from also gave me power butane. First, the refill with it was terrible, i think my butane can was broken - it kept spraying all over the place, but with very frustrated patience i could get a refill. But second, the io-lite stunk really bad, like gas fumes. Everyone was telling me i was crazy, but i insisted on it, and sent it back to gotvape explaining in detail the issue with the smell. They somehow read all of that and still never understood. They called me back and said it started up and was working just fine (that wasnt the problem). Then, while talking to me, the girl set the iolite down while running and she said, "hold on wait... it just leaked butane on the desk. Okay, we'll send you a new one." I really still think it was just water condensation, but at least my problem was acknowledged.

I got the second iolite, the power butane still sucked at filling up, so i bought some vector which worked amazingly better. The iolite also didnt have the same gas smell anymore so i've been "fairly" pleased with it since.

ttomo,

chucku

Charles Urbane
ttomo said:
wakenvape said:
The company i ordered my io from also gave me power butane. First, the refill with it was terrible, i think my butane can was broken - it kept spraying all over the place, but with very frustrated patience i could get a refill. But second, the io-lite stunk really bad, like gas fumes. Everyone was telling me i was crazy, but i insisted on it, and sent it back to gotvape explaining in detail the issue with the smell. They somehow read all of that and still never understood. They called me back and said it started up and was working just fine (that wasnt the problem). Then, while talking to me, the girl set the iolite down while running and she said, "hold on wait... it just leaked butane on the desk. Okay, we'll send you a new one." I really still think it was just water condensation, but at least my problem was acknowledged.

I got the second iolite, the power butane still sucked at filling up, so i bought some vector which worked amazingly better. The iolite also didnt have the same gas smell anymore so i've been "fairly" pleased with it since.
I would guess you had a faulty IO. Since butane is odorless all butane has the same scent added to it (to distinguish it from other compressed gasses). I have used Power butane with good results.

chucku,

ttomo

chucku said:
I would guess you had a faulty IO. Since butane is odorless all butane has the same scent added to it (to distinguish it from other compressed gasses). I have used Power butane with good results.
ya, thats what i kept insisting on, and also why i called it "gassy smell" cause i was assuming i couldnt smell butane specifically, but also knew that smell i was smelling was not correct. but the new iolite didnt have this smell, so i would say my first io was faulty as well.

hope something helps you out tho wakenvape

ttomo,

wakenvape

Thank you all for your input, perseverance paid off though. I purged it one last time and filled it up after shaking the can thoroughly, and I just kept clicking the piezo until I finally got it stay blue. Then after that it only took like 5 clicks for it to work. I probably clicked the piezo atleast 100 times in about a half an hour but it finally worked and has been lighting on the first click since then! :D

On a side note I've also experienced a smell coming from the exhaust. It isn't that strong I have to put my nose right on it and its only when the chamber is reheating which makes sense though. I can't describe it but I've also had my fingers get a little moist/damp right after the heating cycle but as far as I know not a problem.

wakenvape,

wakenvape

Im getting pissed that i keep getting logged out for no reason.
Anyways I can't help but think when i purge it, im just filling it up with air because almost every time i refill it the butane almost immediately overflows. So when purging am I supposed to stop when I dont see the cold butane flowing out or what? Ive just been waiting until it makes no more hissing sound and that doesn't seem to work. I'm almost 100% sure that my iolite is just half full of air at all times.

wakenvape,

ttomo

wakenvape said:
Im getting pissed that i keep getting logged out for no reason.
ya, for that, i usually compose in a text file and then paste in when ready.

wakenvape said:
Anyways I can't help but think when i purge it, im just filling it up with air because almost every time i refill it the butane almost immediately overflows. So when purging am I supposed to stop when I dont see the cold butane flowing out or what? Ive just been waiting until it makes no more hissing sound and that doesn't seem to work. I'm almost 100% sure that my iolite is just half full of air at all times.
i had similar issues at first. so before i start to fill my io, i get a clean toothpick and use one end of it to push down on the io's intake. when you do this you purge any excess "air" out of the iolite. after the pressure on the iolite decreases or stops, now is the time to try and refill it with your can.

my power butane can was not working properly and so i would still get a good bit of sputtering, but this is the best way to do it that i've found. also, when i got a new can, vector this time, it worked so well with no sputtering at all. I could even hear it filling up and getting close, so i could slow it down towards the end. once in a while i will still have this issue. also, when filling it may be necessary to take a pause in between. as the butane freezes on the outside, i think it interferes with filling and needs a short thaw sometimes. doesnt make perfect sense, but sometimes seemed to help me out. after a fill up, i think its good to wait around 5min before attempting a start.

IMO its the 2nd biggest design flaw of the iolite. first being that the cap has no clip and the recommended way is to get a rubber band. 2nd being you cannot see how much butane is in the iolite, so you can never be sure that you have a good fill.

as to the smell you're smelling, i think this is normal. there is a slight smell mixed with moisture that is expelled from the science stuff happening inside the iolite. if you lay your iolite on glass while on, it will pool up some condensation which is normal. the smell i had with my first [bad] iolite was a definite gaseous type of smell, closer to being at a gas station vs. the "normal" smell my current io puts out.

ttomo,

Derf

Carbon dioxide and water vapor are the only byproducts you should have coming out of the iolite.

Butane should be combined with Oxygen and completely break down

2(C4H10) + 13(O2) -> 8(H2O) + 10(CO2)

Mine does not smell when running like anything, which (I believe) is how it should work. If you are smelling something, there could be a small gas leak between the on/off valve on the butane resevoir and the catalytic converter. Some small amount of butane may be escaping and causing the smell.

It is also possible that this is why you are having fouling troubles with your iolite. You should not need to constantly purge the resevoir before filling. I have been using my Iolite regularly for months, and do not need to do this for it to work correctly. If it were a one-time fix it may solve a problem, but I cannot imagine a case where you would regularly purge the system to fill it.

Common problems with catalytic converters not firing are the piezo-electric ignitor failing (not sparking), not enough butane being passed to the ignition chamber (leaking before being ignited), ....

Derf,

ttomo

mainly i'm describing this tip, which is on the first page of this iolite thread:

i-olite said:
Edit: Usage Tips

macbill said:
* When you fill your unit the first time, bleed off anything that might be in the Iolite tank. Depress the Iolite fuel nozzle with a pen tip or other pointy device. You want to do that occasionally to bleed off any air that may enter the unit, as some kind of inert gas is used as a propellant in the butane can, and it gets in. Sometimes that can be a problem if your unit has a full tank of propellent instead of gas.
as to smell, derf is correct -- you really shouldnt smell much of anything, but it also doesnt smell like plain air. i attribute the bit of smell to be the water vapor. kind of like drinking water through a rubber hose - its still water, but it has as funny taste.

ttomo,

Venti

Derf said:
Carbon dioxide and water vapor are the only byproducts you should have coming out of the iolite.

The optimal scenario above is for the combustion reaction of butane and O2. The iolite is uses a catalytic reaction to produce heat. I estimate the smell is partially reacted hydrocarbons.

Published literature about catalytic heaters indicates the catalytic reaction of gas fuel (propane or butane) is inefficient and will create byproducts. In the example below, carbon monoxide (CO) was generated.

"CO EMISSIONS FROM A PORTABLE PROPANE
CATALYTIC HEATER
Catalytic heaters generate heat through a flameless catalytic reaction involving propane [or butane] and
oxygen. This is different from infrared radiant heaters, which generate a flame during the combustion
process. The catalytic heater generates heat by bringing the propane and oxygen (air) into contact with a
platinum catalyst. A chemical reaction then occurs in which the propane and oxygen are converted
primarily into carbon dioxide and water vapor. During the chemical reaction, heat is also released. The
chemical reaction occurs at a temperature well below the flame temperature of typical infrared radiant
heaters. In order to start the reaction, the fuel and air mixture must be ignited by an external heat source,
such as a spark or pilot light.
When the catalytic heater was operated at the test conditions specified, the steady state CO concentration ranged from 67 ppm to 109 ppm."
http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foia05/os/co03.pdf

Venti,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Venti said:
Derf said:

The optimal scenario above is for the combustion reaction of butane and O2. The iolite is uses a catalytic reaction to produce heat. I estimate the smell is partially reacted hydrocarbons.

Published literature about catalytic heaters indicates the catalytic reaction of gas fuel (propane or butane) is inefficient and will create byproducts. In the example below, carbon monoxide (CO) was generated.

"CO EMISSIONS FROM A PORTABLE PROPANE
CATALYTIC HEATER
Catalytic heaters generate heat through a flameless catalytic reaction involving propane [or butane] and
oxygen. This is different from infrared radiant heaters, which generate a flame during the combustion
process. The catalytic heater generates heat by bringing the propane and oxygen (air) into contact with a
platinum catalyst. A chemical reaction then occurs in which the propane and oxygen are converted
primarily into carbon dioxide and water vapor. During the chemical reaction, heat is also released. The
chemical reaction occurs at a temperature well below the flame temperature of typical infrared radiant
heaters. In order to start the reaction, the fuel and air mixture must be ignited by an external heat source,
such as a spark or pilot light.
When the catalytic heater was operated at the test conditions specified, the steady state CO concentration ranged from 67 ppm to 109 ppm."
http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foia05/os/co03.pdf
But The CO is vented the same way as the CO2 and H2O immediately dispersing in the ambient air and resulting in zero consequence.

chucku,

StickyShisha2

wow, i use one of those heaters when camping. I've never brought my CO detector camping.
my iolite, i ran for over an hour inside a shoe box with a CO detector. it never registered any, but by the end of the test, the inside of the box was moist.

chucku said:
But The CO is vented the same way as the CO2 and H2O immediately dispersing in the ambient air and resulting in zero consequence.
do you breath from the ambient air?

StickyShisha2,

chucku

Charles Urbane
StickyShisha said:
wow, i use one of those heaters when camping. I've never brought my CO detector camping.
my iolite, i ran for over an hour inside a shoe box with a CO detector. it never registered any, but by the end of the test, the inside of the box was moist.

chucku said:
do you breath from the ambient air?
When drawing from the IO no. But when not it is so dilute it makes no difference.

chucku,

wakenvape

This is impossible. Got a brand new can of butane. Purged until there was no more hissing. Made sure can was securely on. Press down. Instantaneous overflow. Switch to 1. No sound. Try to refill again without purging. Instantaneous overflow. Lovely.
Which could mean only thing that my IO fills up with air everytime i "purge".
I have no other explanation.
Now how to "purge" all this fucken air is the real question.
Getting extremely frustrated.

I had such a good run too. Like two months with no problems ignition on the first click and now I'm stuck with the same problems the first day I got it.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm this close to just rolling a joint. Honestly when technology fails, it fails hard.

wakenvape,

Budz Bunny

wakenvape said:
Honestly when technology fails, it fails hard.
Yea, like a blow-out preventor.

Are you leaving it on for a minute or two? Sometimes mine takes a little while to get the gas flowing.

Budz Bunny,

wakenvape

Well now to start it's just flowing super weak. I try to fill it and it sounds like its going for like 2 seconds then overflows. Then i try again and same thing happens. Well when I keep it running it just stops flowing. Yet I can still purge alot of butane from the tank so honestly I dont even know right now. I'm just frustrated to the maximum and I want to just be baked. Considering this is my only piece thats making it kinda hard.

wakenvape,
Top Bottom