kmartburrito

steve5006 said:
a consideration from my reading about the unit. Make sure it is warmed to approx room temp(keep it in your jacket). it is easier to start from warmer than it is from cold

Also have you tried butane jet style lighters from the altitude you're referring to. Bic type lighters have a much lower oxygen requirement to operate properly than jet types and the Iolite
For some reason I thought he said a "regular gas lighter" which made me think of the bics...I'm going to look it up now to be sure. That would suck though, it's basically perfect for that purpose :'(

EDIT: Here's what he said, probably why I confused it:

iolite said:
"If you have a simple gas lighter and that works then the vaporiser should in theory work also but not guaranteed."
There's no possible way around it. After some searching, I found out that the atmospheric temperature is below the boiling point of butane at high elevations, and basically won't allow ignition. There ARE butane lighters designed for high altitude (excess of 9-13,000 ft) but they are designed to allow the adjustment of fuel output. Since there's less oxygen at that altitude, less fuel is needed so the mix of oxygen to fuel is synchronized (can't think of a better word here, but you catch my drift) I also found that with butane devices, fuel quality is of extreme importance. So if you're not using a really good butane, you can forget about it, even close to the 1600m/7500ft mark.

Since the Iolite is designed to output at a specific rate of flow, this won't be possible, unless you could create an enclosure that had more oxygen possibly. On a ski slope, that would be a challenge I believe.

So, a question for the Iolite guy (or others in the know) - Can you explain the cycling effect and how it utilizes the butane? Is the problem the initial "ignition" of the butane, or would it basically fail every time the butane warming cycle kicks back on? If it were as simple as getting it started once, then would it be able to continue, even at high altitudes, or would it have to be "tricked" into thinking it was at a higher altitude every time the cycle starts? Thanks for clarification!!

kmartburrito,

joesalamon

So really unfortunate for me, I had my stem on my IOlite and it was in my pocket and snap, it cracked off inside. I picked out as much of the plastic I could and used a replacement piece and it screwed in half way. Apparently I dont learn from my mistakes and snap, there goes the other piece.

So I now have a bowl with the plastic screw part stuck in it and I cant get it out nor do I have another bowl/stem. Can anyone advise me where I can possible purchase replacements. Maybe a new bowl and or new stem. I hope this is possible, dont want to have to shell out some more money to buy a whole new unit, my unit itself works greattt :)

joesalamon,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
I picked up replacement stems and a mouthpiece/bowl off ebay from warehousegoods. No problems, all good.

highendvapes,

joesalamon

highendvapes said:
I picked up replacement stems and a mouthpiece/bowl off ebay from warehousegoods. No problems, all good.
thanks a bunch for this, going to check it out

joesalamon,

tuttle

If you are willing to wait, you can email support@my-iolite.com to get free replacements.

tuttle,

steve5006

kmartburrito said:
steve5006 said:
a consideration from my reading about the unit. Make sure it is warmed to approx room temp(keep it in your jacket). it is easier to start from warmer than it is from cold

Also have you tried butane jet style lighters from the altitude you're referring to. Bic type lighters have a much lower oxygen requirement to operate properly than jet types and the Iolite
For some reason I thought he said a "regular gas lighter" which made me think of the bics...I'm going to look it up now to be sure. That would suck though, it's basically perfect for that purpose :'(

EDIT: Here's what he said, probably why I confused it:

iolite said:
"If you have a simple gas lighter and that works then the vaporiser should in theory work also but not guaranteed."
There's no possible way around it. After some searching, I found out that the atmospheric temperature is below the boiling point of butane at high elevations, and basically won't allow ignition. There ARE butane lighters designed for high altitude (excess of 9-13,000 ft) but they are designed to allow the adjustment of fuel output. Since there's less oxygen at that altitude, less fuel is needed so the mix of oxygen to fuel is synchronized (can't think of a better word here, but you catch my drift) I also found that with butane devices, fuel quality is of extreme importance. So if you're not using a really good butane, you can forget about it, even close to the 1600m/7500ft mark.

Since the Iolite is designed to output at a specific rate of flow, this won't be possible, unless you could create an enclosure that had more oxygen possibly. On a ski slope, that would be a challenge I believe.

So, a question for the Iolite guy (or others in the know) - Can you explain the cycling effect and how it utilizes the butane? Is the problem the initial "ignition" of the butane, or would it basically fail every time the butane warming cycle kicks back on? If it were as simple as getting it started once, then would it be able to continue, even at high altitudes, or would it have to be "tricked" into thinking it was at a higher altitude every time the cycle starts? Thanks for clarification!!
Perhaps this is an issue which the iolite team can consider for a future model

steve5006,

kmartburrito

I decided to go ahead and purchase a Magic Flight Launch Box (for the ski trips) :D

And I'm going to get my IO whenever this paypal dispute gets resolved.

What a great forum!

Also, I agree Steve, maybe a "high altitude" fuel output adjustment would do the trick.

kmartburrito,

pngwyn

Hi,

So I recently bought an IoLite (couple weeks ago) and it seems to not be working anymore. I use Ronson Butane lighter fluid, and I've been taking care of the IoLite, but now when I try to start it, it just makes the air sound, but the light never turns on, and it never continues heating after the initial heating sound.

I purchased my Iolite from eBay's Warehouse Goods, and I know it has a warranty, I'm just wondering if anyone knows if I may be doing something wrong with it since I'm fairly new to the machine.

Also, how can I exchange it if it's just a dead vape? I was also sent faulty straws with the IoLite that didn't extend nearly as far as the diagrams showed, so I don't know if maybe just the entire set was faulty.

While I'm at it, are there any secrets to using the IoLite more effectively? I just turn it on, wait for a couple heating sessions, load it, and then smoke. Seemed pretty simple when I got it, but the high is a bit on the weak side for me, however I do smoke a lot.. so I dunno.

pngwyn,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
In a previous post somewhere, maybe even in this 44 page thread, someone had suggested using the "Straw Method" of loading the I-olite. That is, where you you just dip the (pre-heated) mouth-piece into a suitably prepared herb source and suck up an herb load: no muss, no fuss.

I got to say, that is an excellent tip. I just tried it. I'd like to add an axillary tip: I find that when a load is a bit bigger than you want to tackle all in one sitting, turn the I-olite off, turn it upside down, and remove the mouthpiece/bowl so that it doesn't continue to cook. Put it back on when you pre-heat the unit for another go.

I'm going to look for some tiny corks. In all, I have three mouthpiece/bowl units, I can imagine pre-loading a few extra bowls (w/o the stems attached), and corking them up for an easy way to herbalize on the go.

macbill,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I'm going to look for some tiny corks. In all, I have three mouthpiece/bowl units, I can imagine pre-loading a few extra bowls (w/o the stems attached), and corking them up for an easy way to herbalize on the go.
Reading my mind Macbill!! I was thinking I need extras and a way to cap them too after my first weekend trip with my iolites!

I wanted to say that I was impressed with the response to my faulty mouthpieces with my newest Iolite. I guess I was lucky that their vacation time was over :) I emailed in the early evening about my faulty plastic and when I awoke in the morning I had received several emails, apologies and then a shipping notification that new mouthpieces are on the way.

I also had emailed the place I ordered letting them know that the new batch was one with those faulty mouthpieces as I had waited for the new shipment to try the new design... I mentioned though that I had already written the manufacturer about replacements but he offered to mail me one too.

Everyone who tried my iolite was so impressed... My sister who isn't even a regular puffer loved it and calls it the walkie talkie ;) I'm still learning the my way around with them but so I really like them even with the mouthpiece issue!!

:2c:

Lo,

max

Out to lunch
I also had emailed the place I ordered letting them know that the new batch was one with those faulty mouthpieces as I had waited for the new shipment to try the new design... I mentioned though that I had already written the manufacturer about replacements but he offered to mail me one too.
Go ahead and tell us which dealer "the place" is. Sounds like they have good service, and info like that is one of the purposes of the forum. :cool:

max,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
:) Wasn't sure if I should but I would like to since not only was the service great but I emailed with questions,etc as I was wanting to be sure I got the newer style...

Chris at vapeworld.com was awesome!!! I have already shared the website with a few friends ;) I totally recommend... Think it's also Warehouse Goods :2c:

Lo,

shotgunwilly

hey pngwyn, sorry to hear about your iolite... did you try emptying your unit of butane and refilling it? evidently it can get an "air" bubble in the gas tank (because the butane in has compressed air as a propellant i guess) but just use something to depress the fill nozzle and clear it and try again... as far as modding it for better hits, people have come up with slightly different ways, but what i use and it wont void your warranty is clean your bowl real well with rubbing alcohol, then from the stem end 1) retaining clip (acts as a spacer from the bottom) 2)seven hole assembly, holes toward pin 3) retaining clip (the extra you were given) 4) the holed screen from the bottom (remove it from the bottom around the pin, be very gentle in removing the pin and putting it back) i didnt put it under the last clip for two reasons, first, to give a little space between the 7 holes and the screen, so it would be harder for it to get plugged when you draw on it, and second, its easier to pull out with a pin to clean any herb that got pushed up there by the pin after each session...another mod by nosmoke was putting in 2x 7hole assembly, (holes toward pin) in some bowls it will seat ok, others just drill the center hole a bit bigger for the one nearest the pin so it will seat, the theory behind the double screens is more metal acts like a heat sink and raises the bowl temp higher... but i dont think anyone of us has scientifically measured it, but, with both mods i found good vapor and correspondingly a big buzz...hope it works for you , (the iolite and the mod!) let me know :p

shotgunwilly,

MDBudz

I received my i-olite in the mail on friday. confirmed no moisture condenser in the mouthpiece. Tried repeatedly with varying size bowls and also let everything heat up for well over 5 minutes. Nothing. The unit is firing up and getting warm, it's just not generating any vapor... at least no vapor is making it thru the mouthpiece. It's like trying to suck thru a pinhole. Again, even w/o any meds loaded the airflow is pathetic. Seems like even if the meds are being heated in the bowl, there's not enough airflow to pull the vapor thru the mouthpiece. So far, very disappointed. I tried reading thru the full 44 page string and all the varios mods, but was a bit confused. Hoping I'm just doing something stupid, but followed the manufacturer instructions to the letter. Waiting on reply from the manufacturer. Any other suggestions/advice?

MDBudz,

shotgunwilly

mdbudz, the draw on the iolites is a bit tough, that said, try pulling out everything of the bowl attached to the stem, put the little round retaining ring in first, push it down to seat, then your 7hole screen assembly, with the big holes toward the pin, this will give you a little headspace, and correspondingly, a better draw utilizing all the holes, albeit still not an easy draw, also try hitting it slow as to not suck up the herb and block the holes, (i put a "holed" screen in after the 7 hole to help keep the herb from blocking the big holes) also look over the mods recommended by nosmoke, a couple of pages back, (not far) they might work for you... either one should produce good vapor for you... i was kind of general in describing the mod i use, but, if you need the exact order i put the components together, read a couple of posts up... anyway, good luck! let me know if any of it works for ya...oh, also, i found that grind your herb very fine, dont pack it down too much,(and of course the quality of your smoke) and i put in together , turn it on, and wait maybe 30 seconds after its done with its initial firing/warm up and get a great tasty hit.... so i would say within the first minute of turning it on you should be getting something....

shotgunwilly,

MDBudz

thank you for the quick reply. I'll try your tip for putting the retaining ring below the screen and see if that gives enough room to enhance the draw. As for the other mods, I saw some that called for cutting the pin (and really don't want to resort to that if possible), were there other mods I missed that didn't call for that level of destruction? Definitely not an issue with packign the bowl to full, tried it with varying amounts from very little to packed tight and made no difference.

MDBudz,

MDBudz

i have an SSV at home. for kicks I just left the i-olite on and running (with bowl full) and would try a hit every few minutes between SSV tokes. throughout a 20-minute session I tried hitting the i-olite at least 10 times. Not once was any vapor visible, and barely any taste. At the end of the 20 minutes I emptied the bowl from the i-olite (meds now crispy, but not brown or even darker at all) and put them into the SSV and proceeded to get a full, thick vapor load from that bowl in the SSV

MDBudz,

shotgunwilly

yes, i wouldnt recommend cutting the pin... although the person who posted that said he had good results,... that said though, i would think you are removing more of the "heating element" per se and plus voiding the warranty, thats one of the reasons i go with the mod i do.. plus im too lazy to drill the center hole bigger in the one 7hole assembly... i also remove the bottom screen from where the pin is... i figure it would let the herb get that much more surface area with the heating element and closer to the heat source... also, you ll want to keep that "headspace" area clean, the thc builds up very quickly and it doesnt take long before it reduces your airflow... again, good luck!

shotgunwilly,

tradhead

Any mods will presumably invalidate the 2yr warranty. all the original mouth pieces were 'faulty' as I said ; a design fault. Im not surprised your iolite stopped working pngwyn, that happened to me last year. at least mine lasted 3 months. Dont say I didnt warn you.

tradhead,

shotgunwilly

the mod i recommended only re-sorts the placement of the retaining rings and screens, easily returnable to factory state....depending on what mod you try, depends if you would irrevocably change the unit or not... also, not to question you tradhead, but not all the original mouth pieces were bad, they only had a bad batch of them...

shotgunwilly,

MDBudz

well, i tried your suggested modifications. Although the airflow was improved some, I still got no vapor out of the unit. The only thing I can think of is that the thermostat is faulty and is not getting hot enough to release vapor. It turns on and heats up and does the on/off cycle periodically, but just not producing any vapor. Very disappointed. Still waiting on reply from manufacturer (emailed on friday, but no reply yet).

MDBudz,

MDBudz

ok, just received email from i-olite asking for my ph#. fingers crossed that they'll make this right.

MDBudz,

tradhead

MdBudz, I had one of the first Iinhales now iolite, it rarely produced visible vapour, the temp is relatively low. but it certainly worked, patience and persistence. Having a Pd a, VG and a dabuddha now I can say with certainty that they all produce visible vapour straight away . Whether this is a bonus is debatable. I find the higher temp of the air can be an irritant compared with the iolite.
As far as stems go, I had 2, they both broke. there have been many reports of broken stems. Its just a design fault, which maybe they have rectified?

tradhead,

MDBudz

hi tradhead, i'm certainly not looking for smoke-like vapor, but am not getting anything resembling vapor hits. No taste, nothing. Having read numerous posts/reviews that raved about the quality of vapor produced, i have to assume that there is a problem w/mine and it is not functioning as it is intended.

MDBudz,
Top Bottom