ShadowLink12

Activist
So I just received my Iolite in the mail, and have a few questions before I get started. First off, is it normal that I am able to spin the bowl within the pull out unit, which in turn spins the mouthpiece? Second, I hear a rattling within the pull out unit, is that normal? Third, I am trying to remove the moisture condensor, but I cannot find it. There is one in the bag of accessories, but there was not one pre-installed in my unit unless I am missing it. Lastly, which butane would you recommend and where can I go buy it, I need it for my trip on Thursday so I cannot get it online in time.

Thanks for the help.

ShadowLink12,

max

Out to lunch
Normal. Normal. Condenser is in the middle of the two section mouthpiece. You have to unscrew it. Any brand name butane will do in a pinch. For quality you're probably better off shopping in a tobacco shop than a drugstore.

max,

steve5006

@Fedete:
Should work ok with spice. Have not tried it as spice is illegal to sell in my country so I might as well have the real thing but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

@shadowlink12

We'll need to know what country you're in before we can reccomend brands or specific retail outlets to buy them. Although it seems to me that headshops seem to sell high quality butane. Hardware stores will also be a good bet

steve5006,

fedete

Regarding to the question about vaporise herbal blends like Spice, Dream, Zohai, etc. The main question is to get know how much temperature is required not only to vaporise the multiple herbs but THE CHEMICALS CANNABINOIDS in there...I have NO IDEA about the evaporation temperature required to make it work for cannabinoids like JWH-018 and CP-47,497, I can't find information anywhere around the web! Any know or have experience using vaporisers with those compounds???

fedete,

Choism

I vaped some avb from my pd in my iolite, taste wasn't pleasant and the buzz wasn't much.
I'll just save and try the brownies next time.

Choism,

max

Out to lunch
The PD and iolite operate at similar temps. You'd probably need to go a little hotter with the ABV from either unit to get any more worthwhile vapor.

max,

steve5006

My Iolite got here today so I filled it up and vaped a few bowls through it. I gotta say that I had no problems with filling, igniting or using the Iolite. Followed the instructions and was sitting out in the back yard blowing nice clouds after work. I'll probably be taking it out for a walk later

Good job Iolite team

steve5006,

kmartburrito

Hi all, newly registered, but I've been lurking for the past six months or so. After reading nearly 20 pages of this thread (I'm going to finish them I promise) I decided that the Iolite is the one for me. :D

I lucked out and found one on ebay.co.uk for ~175 shipped to the states (there's four left!) That being said, I couldn't resist picking it up. I've been saving up for a vape for a while, and it couldn't be at a better time.

While there has been some drama in this thread, there are a lot of cool personalities that stick out, and it made me want to be a part of this community. Thanks for that, and I hope to be able to contribute at least a fraction of as much as some of you. Also thanks to the Iolite rep for fielding so many questions, some of the times through some hostility at those who had a bad experience.

kmartburrito,

shotgunwilly

was thinking today that a protective case, like the ones you can put on cell phones, (the rubber armor, pics, etc.) would be pretty cool for the iolite, they could even incorporate a little slide to hold the bowl in... you could do some cool designs, one that make it look more like a phone, or an inhaler or just some cool pics on it... also to help protect it, since i have found it to be pretty easy to drop, once you got a buzz on, and hopefully it would help keep it from getting damaged... anyway, just thought it would be a cool accessory...and shadowlink, what was recommended in butane was the vector brand, i bought some at a cigar shop, it is 5x purified... i dont know if it makes any difference, but its all i ever used in mine.... also, you may want to read over the last 4-5 pages where there is mention of different mods... i recommend trying different ones, and see which you like best... although i would recommend picking one that won't void the warranty...its just a matter of putting the screen and retaining clips in different orders, i personally have mine set up with (in order from the stem) 1)retaining ring,2) 7hole/screen assembly (holes facing pin), 3) retaining ring 4) hole screen from bottom of pin .... i removed the hole screen from below the pin, and placed it after the last retaining ring as to give a little space before the seven holes so they dont suck up and clog with herb.... i found i get big vapor with the iolite set up this way... some folks also will put the second 7 hole assembly with the first to make a bigger heat sink... but you might have to drill the middle hole a bit bigger in the second 7hole assembly because the pin wont allow it to seat correctly... i didnt want to mess with that right now, so thats one of the reasons i have mine set up with just one assembly, however, i did try both and found both ways pretty equal in vapor production... although, it was far from scientific, i just set them up the various ways and baked away seeing which one gave bigger vapor hits... :ko: anyway, hope you like your iolite, i have also found that it helps to grind your herb as fine as possible, and to take slow hits (i think it keeps the screen from getting plugged by hitting it slower) anyway, hope that helps... enjoy!:D

shotgunwilly,

steve5006

I've heard a lot on here about having the 7 dot screen with the holes facing into the herb chamber. My unit when it showed up here has that screen with the mesh facing into the chamber and the holes facing out. Does this make much difference?

steve5006,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
steve5006 said:
I've heard a lot on here about having the 7 dot screen with the holes facing into the herb chamber. My unit when it showed up here has that screen with the mesh facing into the chamber and the holes facing out. Does this make much difference?
It should be that way unless you modify it by adding a retaining ring as a shim. Once you do that, you have to turn it over to allow clearance for the heating pin. But if it is still in original positions, then yes, the screen should face the chamber.

highendvapes,

steve5006

Ok thanks. My observations after using this unit for about a day both at home and out and about. I agree with the other users in thinking that we need little cartridges or something to be able to load on the go. The bowl is tough to fill. Other than that I have nothing negative to say about it:D

steve5006,

shotgunwilly

i was thinking about a pre load for the iolite, you could just roll a stubby fat joint, or multiple "loads" in one joint, with it twisted in between each load... (think sausage links...) but single loads.... just bite off the tip and roll it between the fingers to load the bowl.... i think it would work well.... although i havent tried it yet though... just thinkin.....:/

shotgunwilly,

sundaddy

I keep some fresh ground in a Tic-Tac box, nice little flip top lid, and stays fresher than you would think. I just tap a little directly into the bowl and place the herb chamber on over it, works great.:ninja:

sundaddy,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
Tic Tac box!!! Nice!! gotta try that. I've been using a film canister and filling via the straw method directly from the canister. Works well, but not very discreet.

highendvapes,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Oh major bummer!! My 2nd iolite arrived today... Within minutes of turning on I could smell a whiff of plastic. I waited thinking I was smelling butane or something and tried to use for a few minutes. Set to cool and came back to empty bowl and the mouthpiece literally fell apart. Surely looks (and smells) like heat made it melt apart... Not wanting to vape melting plastic fumes :(

I am afraid to even use with the other mouthpiece included since I'm sure it's from the bad batch as well. I already emailed manufacturer but man... Kinda bummed.

So... In hopes I will get new mouthpiece that is the heat resistant stuff... Any ideas of how to get the melty plastic smell, residue to go away?? Would alcohol take it away or do I need to do something more drastic?? I surely think I need to do some sort of cleaning to it before using with a new, safe mouthpiece.

I thought it seemed to be running hotter than the first one I bought less than a month ago but that one didn't have a problem with the mouthpiece. I am thankful I have the old one to use at least ;) I do like the portability factor A LOT!! My original one NEVER had a plastic smell or taste at ALL!

Lo,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
bummer lo, I finally just today got an email from them saying that they were shipping me replacements. Its taken nearly a month, with them being on holiday, then away at trade shows, then they didnt have any in stock. If i hadnt of just bought my own replacments i would have been sitting on two worthless pieces of plastic. I really havent been impressed by their customer service. Not like some companies that I deal with.

highendvapes,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Something I use for stash container while out and about is a cylindrical pill container. You know, for people who need to keep their medicine handy, so to speak? They are small: they generally have a hoop to attach to a keychain. I have one I bought at Walgreens that is colored aluminum and has a screw top. They are waterproof. Check your pharmacy and ask for them.

Otherwise, I could envision a large empty rifle cartridge with a cork would work, too.

macbill,

steve5006

does anybody here know of any retailers in Canada to buy colibri or vector butane? I don't really want to have to mail order it every time since that will just about double my costs unless I stockpile a few years worth

steve5006,

kmartburrito

I think i might have gotten screwed on my ebay purchase of my iolite :(

I am so excited to get one after reading all 43 pages I can barely contain myself. I'm toying with the idea of buying another one while I go through this paypal dispute. If for some reason i get a new one and this guy ships the one i bought, would anyone be interested in buying the new unused one for a big discount? If so, please pm me.

Now, I'm a huge snowboarder, and I love Winter Park in CO (fam has a timeshare there.) The last mention of the altitude problem was the Iolite guy explaining that if a regular gas lighter would work, so should the Iolite. I seem to remember the Mary Jane mountain in WP being somewhere above 10k ft at least, and I've had no problems with regular lighters there :) so what gives? Do we have anyone that lives by some high altitudes that could do a bit of investigation for us? That sure would be bad ass on the chairlift.

kmartburrito,

steve5006

kmartburrito said:
I think i might have gotten screwed on my ebay purchase of my iolite :(

I am so excited to get one after reading all 43 pages I can barely contain myself. I'm toying with the idea of buying another one while I go through this paypal dispute. If for some reason i get a new one and this guy ships the one i bought, would anyone be interested in buying the new unused one for a big discount? If so, please pm me.

Now, I'm a huge snowboarder, and I love Winter Park in CO (fam has a timeshare there.) The last mention of the altitude problem was the Iolite guy explaining that if a regular gas lighter would work, so should the Iolite. I seem to remember the Mary Jane mountain in WP being somewhere above 10k ft at least, and I've had no problems with regular lighters there :) so what gives? Do we have anyone that lives by some high altitudes that could do a bit of investigation for us? That sure would be bad ass on the chairlift.
a consideration from my reading about the unit. Make sure it is warmed to approx room temp(keep it in your jacket). it is easier to start from warmer than it is from cold

Also have you tried butane jet style lighters from the altitude you're referring to. Bic type lighters have a much lower oxygen requirement to operate properly than jet types and the Iolite

steve5006,
Top Bottom