macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I wonder if early vapor visability has a component of water vapor (steam) that is being melted off?

I have both an early I-inhale and an recent I-olite, and I get visible vapor well into the session on both, especially if I draw very slowly, as if I were slightly sipping air through a tiny cocktail straw. It takes a long while to fill the lungs (turn it into a contest!) - I get toasty.

macbill,

chucku

Charles Urbane
steve5006 said:
does anybody here know of any retailers in Canada to buy colibri or vector butane? I don't really want to have to mail order it every time since that will just about double my costs unless I stockpile a few years worth
Go to your local cigar/tobacco shop. They will have quality butane and it will cost less. Other good brands are Power, Clipper, Lucienne and Blazer. All are refined at least 4x.

chucku,

shotgunwilly

i have to agree with macbill, you should be getting some vapor.... and also his description of drawing on the iolite... like sucking thru a small straw....

shotgunwilly,

MDBudz

i get no visible vapor. doesn't matter how slowly I draw. and still no call from the mfg.

MDBudz,

Vapor-Rings

When I first got my Iolite, I didn't get any visible vapor for a few days before I got the hang of it down. Now I'm getting clouds that put my volcano to shame. In all honesty, I don't know how I got it to work but it works like a champ now.

Try:

-preheating the bowl BEFORE you load the herb.
-taking long, slow draws as mentioned above.
-loading some herb in the herb chamber AND the part where the heating pin is
-testing out 2 different kinds of butane.

If all this doesn't work, I'm convinced your device is faulty. Maybe a bad thermostat or something. Anyways don't give up on the Iolite it's really a great device but it's new to the market and like anything, it has its share of problems.

Vapor-Rings,

MDBudz

hey Vapor-Rings, thanks for the info/suggestions. Only thing I have tried among your suggestions is trying a different butane. not sure how that would make any difference. did you see different results with different butane?

MDBudz,

shotgunwilly

great suggestions by vapor rings... if you can hear the "roar" noise when you turn it on and every so often (every minute or so), then i dont think it would be your butane......(bad butane will clog it.) if you are getting the "roar" noise, then i think you re right, it sounds like a bad thermostat ...

shotgunwilly,

MDBudz

yes, definitely getting the roar. I finally got ahold of the mfg (had to call them to get a response), and they also suggested trying a second brand of butane before throwing in the towel. Will give that a shot with my fingers crossed and see what happens.

MDBudz,

max

Out to lunch
There's a filter in the butane tank for impurities. I think it would take some really poor quality butane, over time, to cause a problem. I used several cans of Ronson before I bought some 5 times refined fuel. Had no problems. Can't hurt to try a better brand though.

max,

shotgunwilly

ok... decided i was going to try the double 7 hole assembly mod and i finally got around to drilling the middle hole larger in the second 7hole assembly... for all those who may of wondered, try a 9/64" drill first, if it still doesnt seat well, then 5/32" is what i ended with...

so in order from stem 1) retaining ring 2) 2x 7 hole assembly ( holes facing pin on first, and drilled the center hole and removed the screen on the second assembly and even though the screen was now gone, put the second assembly with holes facing stem... i did this to allow the lip of the 7 hole assembly that holds the screen in to act as a bit of a spacer between it and the next screen) 3)"holed" screen from bottom 4) retaining ring

so far, so good, the bowl seats nicely, and hits well... very big vapor on the first hit, and decent hits thereafter... herb seems to vape off quicker... dont know if it actually is, or its just he fact that theres slightly less room in the bowl with the 2nd assembly in there so slightly less herb...either way, will probably try it like this for a little while... :)

shotgunwilly,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I've picked up some # 4 cork stoppers and sliced off about 3 dimes worth of cork so that a tight seal still leaves adequate chamber area for herb. I think it will work for carrying extra chambers for a no-hassle way of reloading on-the-fly.

macbill,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
I just got 2 more Iolites, both are the new version without the bottom screen. After modding the crap outta my last one, I compared it too the new one without any mods. There really dosent seem to be that much difference. I can see adding the retaing ring to gain some headspace so the 7 hole screen dosent plug up, but I"m thinking now that the second 7 hole is overkill. :2c: Gonna play with this in the stock setup for awhile and see how it goes.

highendvapes,

pngwyn

Okay shotgunwilly, I'm having a really hard time imitating your directions.. or anyone's directions. When you guys are talking about the "pin" you mean the heating pin, right? I can't remove that...

So I have two 7-hole things with screens attached, and 2 retaining rings.

What I understand is

1) I want retaining ring inside the bowl first

2) Then the 7-hole with the screen towards the straw end, and the holes towards the heating pin.

3) Then another retaining ring

4) Finally...? I don't have a screen with a hole in it.

I did get a faulty set of straws so I'm thinking maybe I got faulty pieces too? My 7 hole screens look nothing like the ones shown in the diagram on page 40.. also, my heating pin stabs into my screen unless i have it with the holes pointing towards the pin so just inside the bowl is -> 7-hole screen with screen facing straw -> retaining clip.

pngwyn,

NoSmoke

highendvapes said:
I just got 2 more Iolites, both are the new version without the bottom screen. After modding the crap outta my last one, I compared it too the new one without any mods. There really dosent seem to be that much difference. I can see adding the retaing ring to gain some headspace so the 7 hole screen dosent plug up, but I"m thinking now that the second 7 hole is overkill. :2c: Gonna play with this in the stock setup for awhile and see how it goes.
The second 7 hole is overkill if your not interested in making the Iolite more efficent. I was just looking for a way to make the herb chamber smaller for smaller loads and bring the herb closer to the heater pin.

NoSmoke,

shotgunwilly

hey macbill, let me know how those work for you... i tried it with my bowl, (corking it) and the cork ended up getting knocked out and herb spilled all over my pocket... definite drag.... but i didnt think to cut them down more... i dont know what size the cork was, it was a small one from my sons cork gun....but it fit well, i didnt want to mash it down too hard in fear of misshaping the bowl... i think the octagon shape is where the air intake comes from....

highendvapes, last couple of days i ve been running my iolite with the double 7hole, (drilled the center hole larger, in the second assembly) so it seated well... that said, yes, im finding i get good vapor with either set up, i will probably go back to just the one 7 hole screen...(although the first hit seems to be bigger with the double, maybe its my imagination... and when i run a single 7 hole it seems like i get more vapor for a longer time period....again, maybe my imagination...) in both i put the retaining ring first and in both i put a holed screen last to help keep the 7 holes from getting plugged, which i found works good... if you put it after the last retaining ring, you can pull it out easier for cleaning any bud that manages to get past into the holes....

pngwyn you have it right.... yes, "the pin" is the heating pin thing, straw = stem, you have it set up right, mine doesnt look like pg 40 either, my 7 hole is small... so yes, first the retaining ring, then the 7hole, (screen toward the straw, holes toward heating pin) then another retaining ring... at this point, i have found putting another screen (with a hole in it) after the last retaining ring, it helps keep the 7 holes from getting blocked with herb when you draw on it... if yours didnt come with the holed screen (the screen with a big hole in the middle) i found you can just use a small regular screen and carefully punch a small hole thru the center just large enough to fit over the pin. dont worry about cutting it to the exact size of the bowl, i found that if its a little bit bigger than the bowl, it gives it a perfect arc, helping give a little space over the outter holes but arcs down to the center hole and helps keep the herb from passing thru the center hole and getting under the screen... and even if a small bit does, by not holding it in with the retaining ring, its easy to remove with a pin (i use one of those big "T" shaped pins) and get in there. as far as using 2 7holes in the set up, thats your choice, if you use a second one, you might have to drill the center hole bigger to get the bowl to seat... i think one works fine though... so from the straw end... retaining ring, 7 hole (screen toward straw), retaining ring, (and if you want to get fancy,) screen with hole in middle.

i found that particular set up works great.... oh, and i clean the bottom (straw end) of the bowl weekly to keep the airflow maximized since its such a small space.

shotgunwilly,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
:lol: Just used one of the new Iolites, this came direct from Ogelsby and Butler. 4 bowls, broken mouthpiece. I'm really hoping that the replacments mouthpieces are better than the ones that come with the unit. They have a good product, but man, I'm about sick of replacing the stems.

highendvapes,

leozdad

after trying all the mods here i have decided that what works best for me at this point is; ring, screen, ring. This setup works great and the weekly cleaning is a must. Patience is certainly a virtue in allowing heatup/recovery time and that produces great clouds and my bowls, though not packed tightly, last me a good 20 minutes between two of us.

Oh and one other thing i do to my bowl is i take a fat toothpick and create a hole in the center of the bowl for the heat pin to go through so it doesn't pack down the center of the bowl when you assemble for use, that seems to work really well for me and the assembly fits together much better . Just my :2c: :peace:

leozdad,

ChuckRock

This morning i received my replacement stems but no bowl.
Even though i had told O&B several times the herb bow was now unusable.
I even sent them pictures and posted a pic in this forum.
I have even offered to send the bowl back all met with no response.
Customer service with this company is a complete joke.
Unfortunately for them i come in to contact with thousands of people on a weekly basis and i will be letting them know.

This company is knowingly selling defective goods, its a simple as that.

In order to use my i-olite, i have ordered a bowl from Warehousegoods.It worked out over 10 cheaper ordering it from the other side of the world than directly from the manufacturer.
More unnecessary expense on my part, brought on by Ogelbsy and Butler's dodgy Business dealings.

So in short, Dont buy from I-olite directly as you will be burned, as i have been.
They wouldn't know what customer service is, even if it bit them in the ass.
I have been left without a functional road vape for weeks because of these fools
Its a shame, the actual unit is a great piece of kit.
But the fact remains, they are knowingly selling faulty equipment to the public.
Im pretty sure that's illegal where i live and i will be looking into taking the matter further.

:mad:

ChuckRock,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
ChuckRock said:
This company is knowingly selling defective goods, its a simple as that.

In order to use my i-olite, i have ordered a bowl from Warehousegoods.More unnecessary expense on my part, brought on by Ogelbsy and Butler's dodgy Business dealings.

They wouldn't know what customer service is, even if it bit them in the ass.
I have been left without a functional road vape for weeks because of these fools
Its a shame, the actual unit is a great piece of kit.
But the fact remains, they are knowingly selling faulty equipment to the public.
Im pretty sure that's illegal where i live and i will be looking into taking the matter further.

:mad:
I spoke with them earlier this week, and the mouthpiece problem was explaind to me as caused by changing the stems from turned to molded when produced. The new mouthpieces degraded quickly and that was how they were "unwittenly" let out on the public. I was told that distrubuters are to not sell any more units until they get replacements to send out with the Iolites.
They were very slow to respond to me, but in the end I was satisfied by their CS. I heard that there are unbelievable amounts of replacments being shipped out worldwide. They most deff are overwhelmed right now.
I too had to purchase a bowl to get one of my Iolites back to useable. Kinda bumed that a replacement wasnt addressed. Overall though, their CS is overwhelmed, they just had a plant shutdown, and thier email server is giving them problems. Get ahold of the right people though and their customer service isnt bad at all.

highendvapes,

shotgunwilly

leozdad, yes, i found that set up works great... (in fact, i think i like it best)....but i also like adding the holed screen after the last retaining ring, seems to help keep the 7holes clean and helps a little with the air flow...

highendvapes, i used the aftermarket stems after mine broke and so far, ive had no issues at all... Ogelsby and Butler did contact me to replace my stems, but they want a pic of them and i havent gotten around to taking one yet.... (need to do that)

Chuckrock, did you try tapping (kinda hard) a small screw driver into the plastic thats in the bowl till its good and wedged then trying to unscrew it? if nothing else, maybe itll shatter the plastic and you can get it out that way... either that or drill it out carefully, (oh so careful not to hit the metal threads) then remove the thin plastic left with a pin, (break it out or see if it ll unscrew then) that works when ive sheared bolts off before, the plastic should be easier...(unless you dont have a steady hand lol...) but by being sooooo close to using your iolite, i wouldnt be able to stand it... come hell or high water i would get that piece out....:p

shotgunwilly,

ChuckRock

yeah , im just really bummed at the moment.
They have cost me money and i still cant use my vape, through no fault of mines.

IT was nice of them to replace my stem and im pleased about that, its just without a bowl i cant use them.
I never broke the BRAND NEW bowl, the defective stems caused this, which they were fully aware of and shipped to me.
Instead of trying to put it right and sending me a new bowl and stems.They sent me more stems i don't need.

I will even send them the original bowl back as it was un-used.(which i offered and was ignored)

At this point i just cannot be bothered.I really love my i-olite,. its a great piece of kit.
But this whole business has left me unable to use it.

Hopefully warehousegoods will come through and get one to me soon.
As im going away on another road trip in less than 2 weeks .

Im just really pissed off that i bought this thing for use on the road and haven't been able to use it in the last few weeks.

Anyway, im not going to keep on moaning about it, end of, shit happens

I still love my i-olite even after all this :-)

EDIT**** @ shotgunwilly

Didn't see your post :-)

Yeah i have tried various things to get it out.
There is actually instructions on the i-olite website on how to remove a broken stem.
So im guessing this isn't an isolated incident :-)

I tried the scissor method and various kitchen things to try and screw it out.
I think my last option now is to try your suggestion of a drill bit and thin the plastic down.
Thanks, i will give it a try

I will probably ruin the bowl, but at this point
does it matter? :-)

ChuckRock,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
shotgunwilly said:
hey macbill, let me know how those work for you... i tried it with my bowl, (corking it) and the cork ended up getting knocked out and herb spilled all over my pocket... definite drag.... but i didnt think to cut them down more... i dont know what size the cork was, it was a small one from my sons cork gun....but it fit well, i didnt want to mash it down too hard in fear of misshaping the bowl... i think the octagon shape is where the air intake comes from....
Size # 4 cork stopper must be some kind of standard. From a google search:
"Top Diameter: 5/8" (.625" or 16mm) Bottom Diameter: 15/32" (.469" or 12mm) Length: 13/16" (.813" or 20mm)".

I trimmed the bottom (end that goes into Iolite chamber) about 3 dimes worth. works like a charm, but I carry the loaded chambers in a candy tin, so no additional friction is applied...

I've been thinking, the threads on the Iolite stem most likely are metric. I wonder what size the threads are, and what other mouthpiece stem material might a person use?

macbill,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
ChuckRock said:
Yeah i have tried various things to get it out.
There is actually instructions on the i-olite website on how to remove a broken stem.
So im guessing this isn't an isolated incident :-)

I tried the scissor method and various kitchen things to try and screw it out.
I think my last option now is to try your suggestion of a drill bit and thin the plastic down.
Thanks, i will give it a try

I will probably ruin the bowl, but at this point
does it matter? :-)
When you do try and get it out, heat it up in the Iolite for a cycle first, this will help loosen up any gunk on the threads. It was the only way I've gotten it to work. ( I've gone thru 5 faulty stems now on 3 seperate iolites.)
It isnt an isolated incident, and your other mouthpice that came with your unit will break as well. I just received my replacements from Iolite but havent tried them, as I already purchased some aftermarket ones that havent given me any problems.
Macbill, I took a zirc fitting, dilled out the ball and then just crossthreaded it {Maybe, it went in awfully easy, but couldnt see me being that lucky} into the bowl then attached like 4" silicone tubing when I didnt have any other options besides waiting. That wasnt going to happen.

highendvapes,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Here is my thought. If a person found an adapter from the metric standard (I think its ISO 261) to a National Pipe Standard (NPT), it would be easier to find a different stem and stem material and increase the strength of the connection between stem and bowl (metal-on-metal).

I'm a Bozo when it comes to reading diagrams. Can someone who can read and measure their Iolite unit look at the following diagram and see if a size exists for us?
http://hylokusa.thomasnet.com/viewitems/pipe-fittings-2/adapter-female-npt-to-male-iso-tapered-

macbill,
Top Bottom