illadelph

vaked fresh daily
iolite said:
juice said:
the gas? (flowing sound at startup / when orange light is on) sputters in a rapid on-off flow when initially starting the unit, is this usual? i was overfilling it initially, when first using it, thought it would take longer than 5seconds max-

flow becomes smooth once unit heats up usually..
Could you try venting your iolite? And make sure you are using a good butane brand. If you're still having problems please email me.
this link for your email does nothing for me.

illadelph,

max

Out to lunch
illadelph said:
this link for your email does nothing for me.
info@my-iolite.com

Click on any member's user name and you should have access to a valid email address.

max,

marcuss

above the clouds
Welcome 5meodmt and thanks for your first post/revue......that's a good heavy usage experience to make us guess that this little vape should last more than its 2 years warranty coverage!!

Do you clean it often when you put solids in the bowl?

marcuss,

roney

i had problems with filling mine and contacted the manufacturers and after some discussion it was sent back to be repaired. they were very helpful on the phone with no bullshit at all.

It arrived back at my house 2 days after i posted it!! amazing service if you ask me. it is good as new now and really workin very well again. i love this device and would recommend it to anyone

i took a hit from a bong while waiting for it to be returned and it was foul! i useta smoke bongs all day but this tasted disgusting - i coughed me guts up and it was revolting (did get me high though :lol:)

i have been using this device since Christmas and cannot fault it or the service of its makers.

roney,

5meodmt

marcuss said:
Welcome 5meodmt and thanks for your first post/revue......that's a good heavy usage experience to make us guess that this little vape should last more than its 2 years warranty coverage!!

Do you clean it often when you put solids in the bowl?
hey Marcuss, thanks for the heads up :)

Yeh i am a heavy user, and being of small build i have feeble small lungs always found pure joints tickly (but very fun) - smoked very carfully and slowly, pipes i cough but so what no pain no gain, and bong/bucket etc my lung just cant handle them with out a good cough up afterwards, now ive started im 99% vape now ive coughed twice in a month :)

i heve to clean gauze every few days, i have stuck in a pipe gauze in the top since i poked the one inside the 6 hole thing on first clean, and i cant get the thing out ! :) - the pipe gauze is a lot easier to remove/clean. Ive only fully cleaned it once which was today coincidently, it had a lot of brown caked in the top filling bit, but i have smoked other "stuff" through it which has caused the most mess, maybe...

lets hope it last the test of time, seems to be holding up very well so far!!

another thing ive noticed today, i had lot of half full can of gas which are almost used now, so i went and purchased some more gas (same make type), the new can seems to be making the iolite start with less clicks strait away, first time twice in a row now, seems device is very fussy about how much gas is in can, which has been brought before in this thread but worth reiteriating again. will double check this and add to CONS if necessary..

out..

5meodmt,

New_World

Cuck Fombustion
how do I take the screen out of the bottom? ( the side with the pin)

Why would I take the screen out of the bottom?
Do you get more vapor if you take it out?

New_World,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Use the Brass tool that came with the iolite, take the fat end and put the pin iside the hole in the fat end. Turn it careful unscrew the pin. Once unscrewed the screen should come out. Be carefull screwing the pin back in because you can strip the threads making it impossible too put the pin back.
it is believed that the unit operates a bit better without the screen (also makes the inner chamber easier too clean because you can get underneath were the screen was)

DevoTheStrange,

max

Out to lunch
how do I take the screen out of the bottom?
You use the supplied tool to unscrew the pin. Then you very carefully screw the pin back in.

The screen isn't necessary and eventually it'll need cleaning. Then you'll have to take the pin out to clean it. Reinstalling the pin can be tricky. It's fairly easy to strip the threads. It's better to just remove the screen once and be done with 'screwing' with the pin.

Some feel the performance is better without it, but removing it is mainly for the reason stated above.

max,

pjwalm

Hey guys grasscity has the iolite for ~157 after coupon code "survey420" until July 15th. I've learned a lot from these forums and just thought I should let you know.

pjwalm,

New_World

Cuck Fombustion
max said:
how do I take the screen out of the bottom?
You use the supplied tool to unscrew the pin. Then you very carefully screw the pin back in.

The screen isn't necessary and eventually it'll need cleaning. Then you'll have to take the pin out to clean it. Reinstalling the pin can be tricky. It's fairly easy to strip the threads. It's better to just remove the screen once and be done with 'screwing' with the pin.

Some feel the performance is better without it, but removing it is mainly for the reason stated above.
thank you.

Can anyone explain to me how to replace the screen in the removable piece?
I have extra screens but idk how to change it.

New_World,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
unscrew the stem from the bowl... take the little brass tool that came with it, with the skinny end push the old screen out from the side the stem goes in. it should come right out, if it is stuck chance are there are some essential oils holding it in place, a soak in Isopropyl alcohol or high proof grain alcohol should loosen up those oils.
then slide the new screen in the same position as the last one

DevoTheStrange,

max

Out to lunch
pjwalm said:
Hey guys grasscity has the iolite for ~157 after coupon code "survey420" until July 15th. I've learned a lot from these forums and just thought I should let you know.
$155.83. Great price. Thanks for the tip pjwalm!

max,

digglover

pjwalm said:
Unbelievable... And I thought I got a kickass deal at my headshop. 157 is a steal!

digglover,

Choism

How long does everyone's iolite last?
I use vector butane and i get a little over an hour and it dies.
The manual says 2 hours, could it be my vector butane?

Choism,

sundaddy

Iolite guy, Thanks for being so helpful. I just ordered the new black one, and I can honestly say I never would have spent the money on this thing if the customer service wasn't so good, you guys have the best service I've seen. Can't wait to get mine. Thanks again for giving us peace of mind with the purchase. BTW your website looks pretty slick!- Sundaddy

sundaddy,

VapeKing

Will there be any different portable vapes from the makers of the I-olite or just a final version of the IO?

I'm filling it right but it's still a pain because of the chamber being so small. I solved the problem by only packing it half as full, taking the first hit or two after about 5-10 minutes and the rest 10 minutes later.

I'd like to also suggest to the I-Olite makers to have a way to switch between a lower temp vape and higher temp vape. So instead of just the ON/OFF switch like there is, have an OFF/LOW/HIGH 3 way switch. The low could be the current IO vape temp and maybe the high is about 6-10 degrees higher. This would be a nice addition since it's been proven that lower temp vapors will give different effects than higher temp vapors. Perhaps the LOW setting could hover around 370F and use X amount of butane while the HIGH setting is around 380F and probobly uses more butane but also thicker, hotter vapor.

If it could hold more butane or have the butane last longer than 2 hours, that would be a nice improvement too.

Overall still a great unit imo. I think people looking to buy one should know there is a slight learning curve to this but with some practice you will figure it out.

VapeKing,

sundaddy

Hey guys, I just noticed the Iolite website is up. One thing I noticed under "technical specifications" is that the "heat pin chamber" is aluminum. All other parts seem to be made out of good stuff. Is the heat pin chamber something that doesn't really come into contact with the herb? I generally try to steer clear of aluminum parts.

sundaddy,

kalinga

The pin chamber walls won't come into contact but the aluminum pin does. I removed the pin chamber screen on mine. And noticed that with the herbs now touching the bottom part which is also aluminum, after a few days of usage, the bottom chamber has brown stains that are quite hard to remove even with overnight soaking of iso. You can remove some of the stains eventually but there are stubborn areas like the corners,etc. This isn't the case with the stainless herb chamber. Very easy to remove dirt or stains with just a few hours of soaking.

I e-mailed Iolite and asked if there are any plans of replacing the aluminum chamber with a stainless version. Mr.Oglesby himself replied and said there are no plans to change any materials at the present but also mentioned plans of changing the shape of the pin chamber to make cleaning easier :cool:. Kudos to the iolite team for continuously finding ways to improve their product!

I don't think aluminum gives off any health hazards with the iolite's operating temp. Many camping cookwears are made of aluminum which are exposed to higher temps. It's just that aluminum retains more dirt/stains than stainless steel. :2c:

kalinga,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Hello new Iolite dude! :wave:

I like the new website. Blogs and all sorts of fun/informational stuff. Plus easy to follow/intuitive. :tup:

I like the idea of slightly increasing the size of the butane chamber on any future unit (especially instead of adding a fuel window--if they are still considering that :rolleyes: ).

I was a fan of the locking herb chamber too, but the hairband idea works (I even found a pack of all black ones). Now I can hold it in my mouth by the stem while "tying my shoe". :brow: Could the locking chamber be an unnecessary gadget that could stick/fail/increase costs???

Plus, why no more screw connected pieces for the mouth pieces? Get those while you can if you like to let it hang out of your mouth by the mouthpiece. :lol:

Smokeless freedom (essential for the outdoors and travel :D ).

Progress,

max

Out to lunch
sundaddy said:
Hey guys, I just noticed the Iolite website is up. One thing I noticed under "technical specifications" is that the "heat pin chamber" is aluminum. All other parts seem to be made out of good stuff. Is the heat pin chamber something that doesn't really come into contact with the herb? I generally try to steer clear of aluminum parts.
Interesting that with all the plastic on this vape you're concerned with aluminum. Aluminum is NOT an issue with vaporizers. The Volcano uses an aluminum heating block and has been cleared for safety by a University of Leiden study. The temps involved are just not high enough.

max,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
max...is there a difference between the cano using aluminum in its heating block versus using it as the bowl that gets hot and contacts the herb and airpath?

I guess what I'm saying is, is the aluminum in the cano in the vapor path? And is aluminum as safe as stainless in the vapor path?

stickstones,

max

Out to lunch
is the aluminum in the cano in the vapor path?
Yes.

And is aluminum as safe as stainless in the vapor path?
Yes, at the temps used. Al has a melting point of 1200+ F. The original box vapes used aluminum heaters, and vape makers didn't go to ceramic heaters for safety, but for longevity.

max,

Evil1

My iolite arrived last week. I havn't got a chance to try it yet but...
I noticed that I can hear it turning on a few times after Ive switched it off - is this normal ?- I assume this is to burn the butane already in the system ?
Whats the reason for the design of the top screen with the holes in the disc ?
What would the effect be of changing this to a plain mesh screen ?

Evil1,
Top Bottom