ChuckRock

I haven't been able to reproduce a decent vapor session with this thing.
At this point im not impressed, and im starting to think i have a defective unit.

When lighting it, it wont always light straight away, then i sometimes get a Blue pilot light looking glo before it lights up.
Is this normal, or have i bought a defective unit?

Luckily im in Scotland, so Ireland isnt too far away. :)
But i was hoping to take this on a trip this weekend, at this rate there would be little point.
Im away to test it once again,
Hope it works this time :/

ChuckRock,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
how long are you holding down the piezo button? hold it down two seconds, you will see the blue glow which will turn too red..

DevoTheStrange,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
iolite said:
Hey Guys,

Nice to meet you all. I'm the new guy on the team here at iolite headquarters. I'll try to answer any questions / comments you may have about our vaporiser.

I'm sure you've heard we're releasing a black iolite. Here's a pic for those who haven't seen it:
[url]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/640/ioliteblackfront.th.jpg[/url]

As for the altitude problem there is another factor to consider, if you haven't already; Butane will always have problems igniting at altitudes above 1600m regardless whether its a gas lighter, gas curling tongs, gas soldering iron or even our vaporiser. Also bear in mind the current local barometric pressure as this may or may not have a compound affect at high altitude. If you have a simple gas lighter and that works then the vaporiser should in theory work also but not guaranteed. (sorry cut and paste from an email)

@ DevotheStrange
Yes we have changed the mesh screen in the herb chamber. It's now slightly thinner and as you've noticed held in by a spring clip. As you've seen before we are making running changes to the iolite to increase user satisfaction.
Great to have you on the forum!

Does the screen change mean you are not going to go to production with the curved bowl with no screen?

stickstones,

UrDoinItWrong

The blue glow tends to always precede my orange glow, so that is normal. I also find it ignites better if I wait a few seconds after turning the gas on. I do a slow smooth push and hold the button a little. It rarely fails to fire, although I DO notice that I get a very delayed firing effect sometimes, as in I click it and stare at it for like 5 seconds THEEeeen it turns orange right as I'm about to click it again.

@Iolite - GREAT to see you here!!! Cheers and thanks for one of my favorite vapes! I can and DO use it everywhere!!

UrDoinItWrong,

max

Out to lunch
digglover said:
So I was thinking about picking up in iolite at my headshop for $180 sometime this week.
What's going to be the differences between it (a potentially older model) and the newer ones? Any deal breakers?
From what we've seen on the beta units (and the feedback), when the change is made the new version will definitely have a permanent pin with no bottom screen. The moisture condenser will likely be much longer and reside in the mouthpiece extension. There may be a lock or something to keep the herb chamber secure.

max,

Choism

ChuckRock said:
Thanks, that's put my mind at rest
Seems its normal, i get the delayed firing too
:D
Yea, I too was just like you...panicked at first.
Your unit is fine, how's it treating you so far? It's currently my most frequently used vape, I'm waiting on my pd.

Choism,

ChuckRock

Your unit is fine, how's it treating you so far?
As i said in a earlier post, the 2nd session i had was great, really intense cloudy vapors.
Haven't been able to reproduce as good a session as that.

The unit still gives off some smells.

door kept going while writing this post and the unit has been heating up.
Im vaping as i write this and the unit is giving off some decent vapors again.

If i can replicate this on the road, i think ill be pretty happy

ChuckRock,

digglover

max said:
digglover said:
So I was thinking about picking up in iolite at my headshop for $180 sometime this week.
What's going to be the differences between it (a potentially older model) and the newer ones? Any deal breakers?
From what we've seen on the beta units (and the feedback), when the change is made the new version will definitely have a permanent pin with no bottom screen. The moisture condenser will likely be much longer and reside in the mouthpiece extension. There may be a lock or something to keep the herb chamber secure.
OK I get it now. So their are beta units out now of a potential new model.

In your opinion, do you think these new changes will be worth an extra $70? I can get one for 180 right now at my headshop.

digglover,

CalBears24

iolite said:
@SpiralArchitect
At the moment we don't have any plans to. But I can try to make a case for it if people are interested.

Oh by the way, the iolite website and online store is scheduled to go live this friday. If there is any further delay I'll post here.
For a reasonable price, I'd definitely consider purchasing those. It would both serve to please aesthetically, and also serve to replace older stickers that still read "i-Inhale" to add another level of stealthmode.:brow:

CalBears24,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
Hello Iolite,

I am sorry if some of this is redundant with the e-mail I sent, but wanted to publicly welcome you aboard and express my appreciation for your presence on FC.

Are you also going to be the one to correspond with the beta testers? (as some have been sending e-mails and awaiting responses).

PS: I like the black sticker (may like it even more with charcoal grey dots instead of whitish, silver ones), but also still prefer no stickers at all (with the exception of the Nextel sticker we have on one unit and the one that says "Jerry's Nebulizer: If found please return to (267) 241-4420").

Progress,

ChuckRock

Now been using the I-olite for over 24 hours.
Tried the unit out again first thing, its as other people say.
The more this little thing has settled down, the better its got.
I also removed the bottom screen.
Got the pin back on without any damage, phew :)

My bad smells and tastes are gone.
All i can taste are my herbs now.

After trying many different methods, the best for me
Is to wait till it heats, load the bowl.
Leave it for another 2 or 3 heat cycles, then start vaping

That way i get nice visible vapour .

I HAVE been able to reproduce good vapour each time with this method

Although i always find the hottest vapes from it are just after each butane
refill.

Ive had lots of up and downs with this little thing, but i think i may have just mastered it :)

Its a great little product, and im really liking it at this point.I haven't even switched on my vaporwarez today it hit the spot so well.

:D

ChuckRock,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
New Iolite Dude ;) : No, I won't be responsible for correspondence with the beta testers. Though that may change depending on circumstances.
Thanks for the quick response. Also, Although you seem nice, informed, and accessible...I could imagine that others would miss corresponding with the current beta point person (he rocks!).

I can't wait to see the new site.

Progress,

digglover

Alright I bit the bullet! I bought one from my local headshop for $180 and he threw in some butane! I have a great headshop haha.

Unfortunately I have to be sober 2 more weeks now (I've got 4 under my belt so far :/) and won't be able to test it out.

It looks the recommended "mods" are to take out the moisture condeser when using dry herb and then removing the bottom screen. Any other mods to take a look at?

I'll review this sucker when I finally get to vape again :)!

When filling the iolite... It says to hold it for 5 seconds down. When I initially filled it though I had it on for maybe 1-2 seconds before butance started leaking. Am I an idiot? Do I need to press down harder? Is a little bit of butane leakage normal?

digglover,

jmf

Team I-inhale I have recently purchased your product and it worked for one day and then it stopped working. Can you let me know how to get a replacement. The shop I brought it at has a no refunds or exchanges policy.

jmf,

juice

the gas? (flowing sound at startup / when orange light is on) sputters in a rapid on-off flow when initially starting the unit, is this usual? i was overfilling it initially, when first using it, thought it would take longer than 5seconds max-

flow becomes smooth once unit heats up usually..

juice,

terranaut

as far as butane, ive been following the thread and will be getting the second revision of this unit, but i am a lighter fanatic and therefore im picky about butane, after trying them all theres one that made a difference in ALL my lighters so im sure would be a noticable difference with the iolite, the brand is lava, and its claimed its '5x' filtered but i dont pay attention to slogans as much as facts, but it does indeed burn cleaner and easier on lighters. it retails for like $9 something but you can find it under $6 online, i buy 3-4 at a time to save on shipping, once a year. so for anyone who thinks butane does, or doesnt, make a difference, try the lava one and see how it goes. im not providing any links because i dont want to come across as a 'shill', i just want to mention a butane thats noticably cleaner and more efficient. i cant wait to try these two together, when that new revision comes out, since my last vap was an aromed a couple years ago...

terranaut,

juice

look i'm good it's alright the situation has been salvaged and i'm really glad now with my purchase of this, i've had no experience with vaporizing but this is really the most useful method experienced thus far, to use a bong rings foul in my mind. thank you,

i wasn't filling it properly was all, really light on the gas, aaaaahh yeah

juice,

5meodmt

my first post hi all! - due to purchase of iolite 1 month ago, my experience...

reference; I use a good grinder which i use for green always, solids i would burn in and maybe mix a bit with green if necessary. (dependant of the melt/quality of solid)

perivous vapourisers, bluemeanie etc (solder iron types) - crap average lasted 6 days! 1/10, glass tube & glass bowl (space bubble) - ok items, a bit of a pain with solids, worked ok with green i always smashed them quickly, im a clumsy f**ker 4/10, inavap - ok for green, rubbish for solid, got hot quickly from point of inhale and never worked "that" well 5/10

Now to the ioite, got about 1 month ago, was reluctant at first because of the price and i knew nothing about it, not that the price is excessivly expensive, just i didnt want to risk my hard earned cash on a damp squib (again!!)..

Well googled and found this forum/thread quickly and soon was confident it was worth a punt!
bought the item, after 1 -2 weeks mastered the art and love it big time - i had a one off pipe after 2 weeks solid vape and gads it tasted like a bonfire, no nice green aroma anymore (im smoked 24 yrs!) , mines was/is bit of slow starter, takes a few click to get it going, sometimes more, definately prefers to be hot/in sun to get a quicker start, (i assume the internal metal chambers perfer to expand a bit allowing better flow throught chambers). now ive had it a month it actually seems to start 2nd time every time at the moment, so the starter&unit is getting better now "burned in". Its used daily (evenings after work) and all weekend!, with a break every 1 hr approx to cool down, yes i am a heavy user :)

Ok ive woffled a bit lets get down to pros cons:

PROS
stealth
portability
long use times compared to a "pipe" or "joint" say
vapes EVERYTHING if you stick with it (i find), try a hr or longer session on 1 bowl.
great for well grinded green
great for solids (GOOD quality please :) ) may require a small mix with green if it melts
great for other plant/etc ive tried
easy to gas fill, i dont need a level indicator, i can hear when its full, and generally fill right after or during a session, and maybe air purge 1-2 a week max now
great light and leave and use as required item, it doesnt seem to kill the material stored if left for a little whle (I keep forgetting about it :rolleyes: - them i hear the gas expell - ping reminder! :ko:)
the best PRO; great for conservation i now get through about 1/4 to 1/3 of the amount compared to combustion!!, i have saved more than i paid for it already, this is a biggy!!

CONS
harder to start when gas can is past half wayish, putting excessive use on starter, potiential failure part? - unit starts almost first time everytime when gas can is full
easy to open by error - use a rubber band, our f**king postie leave tonnes ouside my flat! so im not short of them!!
doesnt last that long , so you may have to carry gas if your out and about - not a real issue for me
i had to use exentsion piece and with shallow/long inhale i dont get lung burn, require a lot of drinking water - but all vapes have this issue to overcome too
cant think of anything else now, i love it!

CONCLUSION
so glad i purchased it, best para purchase to date, from 24 years "experience" :ninja: i think thats HIGH praise :)

It comes with a 2 years garantee, and if it lasts beyond that it would definately get ten out of ten, but i will reserve that rating untill its a bit older, at the moment i wil get it well deserved 9/10!

peace all

Edited 09/06/09 : CON added regarding starting of unit

5meodmt,
Top Bottom