Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I went out last night and bought a torch lighter. Took that thing apart and found out the wire is too short, only about an inch long. I tried putting the original one and that one together, but it was really hard to fadangle the wire around and keep it together, especially with my limited supplies. (tried electrical tape to hold the peices together)

I got a spark on occasion but the wire wasn't properly set in and secure. what kind of lighter did you use to replace it? Maybe I'll have to get another brand or something that includes a longer wire
I used that Iroda in the pictures in first post. Don't worry too much about having to connect a piece of the wire from the original unit. Just trim the insulating sleeve a bit and slip alongside the other one under the sleeve. No metal to jump to but a small piece of electrical tape not a bad idea. And I trimmed it somewhat to be able to slip it into the chamber bushing easier. Also, make sure you have good contact between that "U" metal spring type conductor between the gas inlet valve and the bottom brass cap of the igniter. If not igniting close to 100% you can play with the placement/length of the wire going into the chamber. A very small change can make a huge difference.
Good Luck,

OF

No metal to jump to but a small piece of electrical tape not a bad idea.

I'm not sure I'd put electrical tape in there, it can get way hotter than the 70 degrees C it's rated for and it does stink and make a big mess when overheated (no need to ask how I come by this tidbid of information is there?).

Otherwise excellent advice (as expected). Just splice the lead, touching counts in high voltage like this you don't need to solder or anything. The idea of stuffing the ends of the two wires into the same tube sounds like a winner to me.

OF

MrNorml

I am making this post as for a guide to know what's under the hood of an IOLite V1. And included the modifications I have made to my IO.
Do not attemp to take apart unless you are comfortable with voiding your warranty if you screw up.
There are two screws under the rubber side sticker on upper side as unit rests with the igniter button on the left. (Upper side in pic)
P1030541.jpg

Aren't there 2 screws under one of the heat pad/cushions that have to be removed 1st?

Cheers, The Pipes

Aren't there 2 screws under the heating pad/cushion that have to be removed 1st? Which calls also for removing one of the thingys with dots on it?

MrNorml,

MrNorml

My Iolite saga continues. In the 1st week of Jan I returned one of my 2 busted Iolites, with RMA. Have not heard anything since. Sent 3 emails. Moving soon so it won't get to me unless it is sent out.
So, I continue to question the customer relations of O&B/Iolite. As it is, by default the Solo has become my only mode of transportation currently. Absence does not make the heart fonder. It is sort of leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I have several hundred dollars into 2 units that never made it past 6 months. And I am a fan! I bought a 4th for a friend, got another to buy one, have recommended it to others, but at this point I am hesitant to suggest it to anyone (btw, friends' units work fine but not as often as mine did.) I will not repeat my thoughts on reliability issues of Iolites, nor my love of the units when they work.

MrNorml,

OF

Aren't there 2 screws under the heating pad/cushion that have to be removed 1st? Which calls also for removing one of the thingys with dots on it?

That's a true rumor, the soft strip is held on with pressure sensitive adhesive. You have to peel it off to get to the screws. Also note, IIRC the screws are small torx head rascals, you might want to have a wrench set standing by?

OF

OF,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
My Iolite saga continues. In the 1st week of Jan I returned one of my 2 busted Iolites, with RMA. Have not heard anything since. Sent 3 emails. Moving soon so it won't get to me unless it is sent out.
So, I continue to question the customer relations of O&B/Iolite. As it is, by default the Solo has become my only mode of transportation currently. Absence does not make the heart fonder. It is sort of leaving a bad taste in my mouth. I have several hundred dollars into 2 units that never made it past 6 months. And I am a fan! I bought a 4th for a friend, got another to buy one, have recommended it to others, but at this point I am hesitant to suggest it to anyone (btw, friends' units work fine but not as often as mine did.) I will not repeat my thoughts on reliability issues of Iolites, nor my love of the units when they work.
I have a similar case but worked out great, thanks to Amazon.
Purchased two and one had bad gas tank valve. Contacted IOLite via email and was told to go to the seller. Went to Amizon's website, found my order, requested RMA and viola received email that new unit shipped and shipping directions for the return unit. They charged me and refunded me right away for the new order. Now if they did not recieve defective unit within 30 days I would be charged for second unit. They even paid the return shipping. And had new unit in 5 days into Canada from USA.
:rockon:

Pipes,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
That's a true rumor, the soft strip is held on with pressure sensitive adhesive. You have to peel it off to get to the screws. Also note, IIRC the screws are small torx head rascals, you might want to have a wrench set standing by?

OF
Yes they are torx screw as OF said. That is the driver in the pic. And that is the side up that needs to be removed. Avoid touching the sticky side. Once The edge is lifted (Unsing small flat heat, also in pic.) I used tweezers to lift and peel very slowly.

Pipes,

OF

I have a similar case but worked out great, thanks to Amazon.
Purchased two and one had bad gas tank valve. Contacted IOLite via email and was told to go to the seller. Went to Amizon's website, found my order, requested RMA and viola received email that new unit shipped and shipping directions for the return unit. They charged me and refunded me right away for the new order. Now if they did not recieve defective unit within 30 days I would be charged for second unit. They even paid the return shipping. And had new unit in 5 days into Canada from USA.
:rockon:

Gotta love Amazon, doncha? They get a lot of my money for just that reason. I've only returned a couple of things, one was even my mistake (which they 'ate' over my objections!).

Customer support like that inspires return business for sure, in makers like TV, THC, and MFLB as well as in dealers.

OF

OF,

MrNorml

I must have done something right - my Iolite shipped today! They had apparently been emailing me at some address (not mine) (don't know why they didn't "reply" but ) so within days I will have the 1st replacement one. Now to work on the 2nd one...

MrNorml,

Darth Vapor

Pathological Vapist
I've looked across all of the iolite threads and no one seems to have the same problem as I do:

I bought my Iolite in October and I love it. Recently however, I've had some trouble igniting the unit. When I flip the switch, I hear the hiss just as usual- but it takes a long time to light. A really really long fucking time, as I generally hit the button 35 times before it ignites. :cuss: A buddy of mine had a similar problem with his Iolite and claimed that pressing the ignition right after flipping the gas switch worked for him, but I have not had such luck. I can see the spark and hear the hiss but it takes way longer than it should to light...any suggestions? :shrug:

Darth Vapor,

OF

A couple of thoughts. First, I'd stop hammering the igniter, you can wear them out. I have one that sometimes balks at lighting that will light if I blow into it. My thinking is if it doesn't fire it runs too rich after a bit, blowing the gas clear gives me another shot. You might try that?

If you can't get it under control, I'd seriously consider service now. It's unlikely to get better on it's own and will eventually die, no doubt at a least convenient time. Might even be off warranty by then. IMO you qualify for 'failure to light' right now, even though it eventually does light.

OF

OF,

Darth Vapor

Pathological Vapist
OF Do you blow in as you ignite? or shortly before? and what do you mean by it "runs too rich?"

I have 18 mos left on the warranty (it is two years right?) so I should be alright. Been laying off it for awhile so i forgot how much it sucks till i tried using it again last night.

Darth Vapor,

OF

OF Do you blow in as you ignite? or shortly before? and what do you mean by it "runs too rich?"

No, I blow into the vent a quick puff then pull it away from my face and hit the button my thumb is already on. Maybe a fast second later?

Rich means too much fuel relative to air. There is an ideal mixture of fuel to air for such reactions. The closer you are to it, the bigger the chance of getting it to 'catch'. It's like 14:1 for your car, 25:1 if it's diesel IIRC. The point is without heat I don't think they draft right (air input slows down, gas flow is still normal, more fuel relative to air than normal. You've 'flooded it' in car terms (for those that have carbs and will flood....). Blowing a larger than normal amount of air resets that and gives you another shot. It also slows up the time to the next spark some, you've just proven it doesn't really want to light right then.....

Like I said, I find it works way better than hammering the button.

Good luck, I too think they're neat machines. BTW, if you haven't tried it, putting 50 mg or so of bubble hash in a layer in the middle of the load is a treat. Sometimes I even put in a bit more. Goes and goes and goes....

OF

OF,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
I've looked across all of the iolite threads and no one seems to have the same problem as I do:

I bought my Iolite in October and I love it. Recently however, I've had some trouble igniting the unit. When I flip the switch, I hear the hiss just as usual- but it takes a long time to light. A really really long fucking time, as I generally hit the button 35 times before it ignites. :cuss: A buddy of mine had a similar problem with his Iolite and claimed that pressing the ignition right after flipping the gas switch worked for him, but I have not had such luck. I can see the spark and hear the hiss but it takes way longer than it should to light...any suggestions? :shrug:
If still having troubles do a complete gas purge. Purge, fill, turn upside down such that the liquid is released first when pushing gas valve. Fill again wait 2 - 3 minutes for gas temp to normalize.
If you see the spark, the igniter is fine, as OF pointed out the only other variable is the fuel mixture. Generally igniting for me is immediate with no waiting between turning gas on and pushing igniter. Suspect if wait more the a few seconds the mixture would become too rich to ignite.
Once all has been tried and still problem persists for sure, go to iolite's website and apply for an RMA. You will need your proof of purchase. They will have you try all these things too and try to say it can take up to 10 clicks to light and call it normal. At least that's what they told me as I had an igniter problem was well. (Mine just completely lost it's click.)
Love this unit. I just fill via suction into the mouth piece and wipe bowl level (important). Use very, very, fine grind. Lose count of puffs after 15 or so do to lack of concentration....:ko:

Pipes,
Did anyone ever notice that the mouthpiece opening on this Iolite piece is perfect for a MFLB stem, or a Vapman mouthpiece? Anyone with an Iolite that wants a glass mouthpiece needs only spend like 4 bucks.

Sorry for the atrocious phone-quality picture, it just beats having to bust out the DSLR sometimes.

KL0ZS.jpg

charliedontsurf,

u bwade wunner

the mouthpiece opening on this Iolite piece is perfect for a MFLB stem

Yes CDS I ve been using mine like that for a long time,even my walnut stem.that means eds TNT stems will work too.will add a few to my order.

I took my iolite for a test drive again today.Its been months.great vape and lots of thick vapor once it heats 3 or 4 cycles,love having choice with vapes
The iolite is my vape goto for sunny holidays abroad.add a new clean bowl to it and on the plane with a fresh pouch of tobacco ....happy holidays.

u bwade wunner,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Yes CDS I ve been using mine like that for a long time,even my walnut stem.that means eds TNT stems will work too.will add a few to my order.

Wow I had no idea my stems worked for this unit! I had been asked a while back about if I could make some for the Iolite but nothing ever came of it. Glad to hear they do work and if I can answer any questions pls ask!

Ed's TnT,

Pat12

Does anyone know somebody that works at Olgesby & Butler that they could ask about where to get internal parts for this?

Pat12,

max

Out to lunch
I seriously doubt the company will sell iolite parts to an end user. And nobody but the factory and company service centers are gonna have 'em.

max,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Does anyone know somebody that works at Olgesby & Butler that they could ask about where to get internal parts for this?
What part are you looking for? Most popular failure seems to be the igniter which is pretty much the same as most electric click spark lighters.

Pipes,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
Hey, was going through some old e-cig pieces I had sitting around and found a cool looking mouthpiece for the IO. It's actually meant for an ego mega, and I ordered it cause it looked neat for the whole $.59 cents. Got from here.
P1030620.jpg

Myself, I like the feel of rubber for a mouth piece and stays relatively cool on the lips.
Also, gotta like the lines as they kinda go with the design.

P1030618.jpg

P1030617.jpg

The size is a tad short for my taste but acceptable as it will fit into the provided case without any dismantling. Feels robust compared to the medical tubing I was using before.
P1030619.jpg

Still an old friend.....:love:

MrNorml

My 1st warranty replacement arrived!! Apparently my 1st unit was a v 1.0 and I had to take a new model (no brainer) and they misread my email so tried for months to get back to me (apparently never tried to simply "reply" but ... ) and once I found the white tip for the new stem sans white tip (??!) it is up and running. I can't currently evaluate it yet but it sure does what it is built to do well. Now just 1 more warranty claim to complete and I will be a whole person. Sparking it up yesterday and testing it does remind me why the Iolite got me converted to vaporizers. It really works well and is very portable. My mobile unit of choice. Draw is smooth and easy. Noise reminds me it's there. I continue to say the Iolite, when it works, is an incredible thing. I am hoping that I will join those who have many working, and no unoperable units as I possess 3 and bought another for a friend and recommended them to several other friends.

MrNorml,
Reactions: max
Fantastic to see they have changed their warranty policy! I bought mine for £120 a year ago now and have not had a single problem, but now il be less worried when some plank drops it!

Question for peace of mind though, obviously we are all using this to save our lungs from harmful toxins. But I do remember reading this thread a while ago and seeing a poster saying he had tested it for carbon monoxide and found there to be a dangerous amount!!?? I chose to ignore it at the time but would like to know if anyone has resolved the issue!

I ask because im now using this exclusively, no joints, bongs or pipes for me ever again!! Il try and find the posts but its going to take me a while.

Quantum-Vaper,
Top Bottom