OF

Question for peace of mind though, obviously we are all using this to save our lungs from harmful toxins. But I do remember reading this thread a while ago and seeing a poster saying he had tested it for carbon monoxide and found there to be a dangerous amount!!?? I chose to ignore it at the time but would like to know if anyone has resolved the issue!

Funny, I recall just the opposite. Some guy trying to prove an issue existed put the unit and a detector in a shoebox. No joy. Maybe with the lid down tight enough? Should be easy enough to test.

Besides which CO isn't that sort of toxic, really. Check it out, we breathe in small bits every day our body treats it like Oxygen, taking up a little less than 10% of what's available (just like Oxygen) spitting out the rest. The rub is that molecule will stick with the red blood cell which will not be able to release it ending it's ability to carry Oxygen at that site for the remainder of it's 90 day life span. No big deal in low levels which is why you have to sleep next to a habachi spewing the stuff for hours to get into trouble.

OF

OF,
Some guy trying to prove an issue existed put the unit and a detector in a shoebox. No joy. Maybe with the lid down tight enough? Should be easy enough to test.

Besides which CO isn't that sort of toxic, really.

Nah, I found it, didnt see any mention of a shoebox, however his unit was probably defective... but any unit could have the same defect . Im well aware that CO is fine in very low levels, but there is a reason it is listed as a harmful by-product of ciggs.

Here is his post.

You can find in the erowid website the following information: a cigarette containing 1110mg of Tobacco releases 20.2mg of CO when burned (smoked). It doesn t gives the smokers a heavy headache each time they smoke their cigarette, does it?
However, in the long term, the smoke damages his body. Why don t we burn and choose vaporizing? We believe it s healthier, right? So what s the point of inhaling CO in a vaporizer?

I observe a zero tolerance concerning CO, I vaporize under 200c, even under 195c because I m aware of the studies (norml) and want to avoid completely the carbon monoxide.
190 c is a really good temperature, this is why I spent $250 on an iolite. I want a healthy vapor.
Yesterday, I was in the forest and brought my equipment there, the CO released was over 200ppm each time it started to heats up.

Two simple questions to the users here:
1/ how many inches separate the herb chamber from the heating chamber?
2/ when you inhale, how many cm/inches is your nose above that glowing heating chamber?

Answer theses questions for yourself , my personal opinion is that NO carbon monoxide released by a vaporizer should be allowed, especially when it comes from the vaporizer alone, not from what you put inside.
And if a vaporizer running alone (unloaded) does release a chemical substance potentially dangerous for the human body (lead, Carbon monoxide or other) then it is the duty of the company to inform the user on the EXACT amounts of chemicals released by the use of their product. Iolite people say that they conducted some tests at some universities in Ireland, fine, I will ask them how much CO an empty Iolite releases in 20 minutes of `normal use`. If the amount is far below the 20.2mg of CO found in a single cigarette, then we will all know and feel safe.

Now the situation is: I can measure that it releases some CO, but I can t quantify it at home as i am not a lab` .
I don t criticize, I just want to learn and know, so if anyone can help with experience and research, please, let us know.
So far...no news from their customer service.

Hi Stickstones,

Thanks !
1/ Have tested the temperature with a `K` type termocouple , which is a thin wire that can be inserted inside of the Chamber and thin enough to allow to close the chamber normally. the K type of thermocouple can also be inserted by the inhaling tube. (just need to remove the upper screen and you can put it in).
I did the same experience with my volcano and the temperature measured with my thermometer is exactly what I read on my volcano, so this is why I belive my test is quite accurate As I said,it s maybe an isolated problem with my unit only.

2/ the hiss is normal, I agree with you and the reply you got from the manufacturer about that.
What I m talking about is that in my unit, when I inhale and place the finger on the glowing chamber (just below the herb chamber) I do feel a difference in the flow of the air/vapor I m inhaling. That shouldn t happen at all if there is no connection between the two chamber. Also it is easier to draw when it starts glowing again, feels like a turbo when it glows. Anyone who owe one, please try so that we can see if it s an isolated problem or if more than one person feels the same.

3a/ about the catalytic reaction and the `possible` health hazard, well, we can compare the problem to the mobile phones microwaves...people say: `if it was bad for us, it wouldn t be on the market, would it? `
It s better not to discuss this point here, I agree, it is very complex and even after weeks of discussion, the answer will be maybe, maybe not... this is why I advised users to search by themselves and build up their personal opinion about it.

3b/ The CO released, well, I m going to release the video of my test, you will see...if more people can test this point, that would help us have several results.
catalytic reactions don t always burn completely the Butane, I am not talking about a torch lighter but about butane catalytic reaction for instance the technology of the Iolite.
Their company builds butane tools since decades, absolutely. I bought their portasol glue gun G150 which uses the same technology, I did test it for temperature, and it is extremely precise, really, their patented thermostat works perfectly.
After the test for temperature, on their catalytic glue gun G150, I did test the CO and :o OH MY GOD! it releases so much CO that my CO measuring device went to it s top capacity, over 500ppm. I am talking about their glue gun here, so when a company releases such a toxic device (the glue gun again) that is supposed to be used at 30, 40cm from your nose I openly doubt about their care for health. They did their best and highly reduced the CO emitted in the vaporizer, but still, I m very upset that the chambers are somehow connected (at least in mine) . What if over time yours too, has a leak, you d slowly breath CO thinking it hits so well...

If I want to breathe CO, I would smoke instead of spending $250 on something I bought to improve my health. I can publish the videos of my tests if you wish.

I am a user who cares about his health and I just wish, that the Iolate is as great as you think it is, so that I can just enjoy it safely. Sincerely, I didn t expect discovering what i just wrote above. I am sharing this with you guys because you seems interested by a healthier living without compromising pleasure. Don t `trust` me, experience with tools and see.
:peace:

Quantum-Vaper,

OF

Nah, I found it, didnt see any mention of a shoebox, however his unit was probably defective... but any unit could have the same defect . Im well aware that CO is fine in very low levels, but there is a reason it is listed as a harmful by-product of ciggs.

Here is his post.

Your call, but IMO alarmist. Look it up. Toxic levels for the gas are like 800 times that, the odd wiff isn't important really, you're allowed to work at 25 ppm all day long......

How long does that high reading last? A second or two from each cycle? And how close do you have to be to measure it? It's averages over time that count.

Even taking nose hits off the heater on startup, I bet you don't collect enough to find (and this is a common blood test as I understand for some trades).

Your call, I'll continue to use mine (in good health, I hope) but have given up the plastic bag over my head while doing so....

Then again, I often allow candles at the dinner table, too.

OF

OF,
Reactions: max

max

Out to lunch
CO is more prevalent in smoke. I'd bet that you get a lot more that way than with the iolite at its worst. It's not a toxin that builds up in your body, like lead, so I'd agree that this isn't an issue to be concerned about.

"Carbon monoxide is present in low levels in the air. In the home, it is formed from incomplete combustion from any flame-fueled (i.e., not electric) device, including ranges, ovens, clothes dryers, furnaces, fireplaces, grills, space heaters, vehicles, and water heaters. Furnaces and water heaters may be sources of carbon monoxide, but if they are vented properly the carbon monoxide will escape to the outside. Open flames, such as from ovens and ranges, are the most common source of carbon monoxide. Vehicles are the most common cause of carbon monoxide poisoning."
http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingswork/a/codetectors.htm

There is clearly alot of speculation from [EDIT] OF and 420, but the following seems reasonable.

Answer theses questions for yourself , my personal opinion is that NO carbon monoxide released by a vaporizer should be allowed, especially when it comes from the vaporizer alone, not from what you put inside.
And if a vaporizer running alone (unloaded) does release a chemical substance potentially dangerous for the human body (lead, Carbon monoxide or other) then it is the duty of the company to inform the user on the EXACT amounts of chemicals released by the use of their product. Iolite people say that they conducted some tests at some universities in Ireland, fine, I will ask them how much CO an empty Iolite releases in 20 minutes of `normal use`. If the amount is far below the 20.2mg of CO found in a single cigarette, then we will all know and feel safe.

Now the situation is: I can measure that it releases some CO, but I can t quantify it at home as i am not a lab` .
I don t criticize, I just want to learn and know, so if anyone can help with experience and research, please, let us know.
So far...no news from their customer service.

I would have liked to see his video test and hear from the company. I will also keep using my iolite, perhaps I will make more effort to not take tokes while it is heating now though. However wouldn't think of using a candle at a dinner table, thats just stupid...

Quantum-Vaper,
CO is more prevalent in smoke. I'd bet that you get a lot more that way than with the iolite at its worst. It's not a toxin that builds up in your body, like lead, so I'd agree that this isn't an issue to be concerned about.
Yes, but there are levels considered harmful, like in ciggs. Its probably a safe bet, but if it is still a harmful amount than I wouldn't be a happy customer!

Quantum-Vaper,

cybervapor

大麻头
The atmosphere in most cities probably have higher CO levels than anything the iOlite might give off. I think the vapor stream of the iOlite is clear from CO though.

cybervapor,

max

Out to lunch
Yes, but there are levels considered harmful, like in ciggs. Its probably a safe bet, but if it is still a harmful amount than I wouldn't be a happy customer!
For a cigarette smoker who quits the habit, CO levels are down to the non-smoker level after about a week. As for whether the iolite has significant CO in the vapor path or not, you may as well flip a coin, since you're not gonna find any independent test statistics on it.

max,
Why does it matter that CO levels quickly drop when you stop smoking ciggs? Unless a legit test is done Im not planning on quitting vaping my iolite as I said already.
Flipping a coin implies 50 50 odds for significant (dangerous) CO levels, I doubt that the chances are anywhere near that high.

Quantum-Vaper,

OF

Lots of good reasons not to use Iolite, if you're looking for such reasons.

If, however, the goal is to reduce your intake of nasty stuff I should think far better return on investment comes in other areas? CO just doesn't seem a significant threat in this case as I've been trained to consider them. No Health Physicist I know would give it the time of day.

OF

OF,

max

Out to lunch
Why does it matter that CO levels quickly drop when you stop smoking ciggs? Unless a legit test is done Im not planning on quitting vaping my iolite as I said already.
Flipping a coin implies 50 50 odds for significant (dangerous) CO levels, I doubt that the chances are anywhere near that high.
Who are you arguing with/against? I think it's pretty clear that my posts are in opposition to this sillyness about high CO levels from the iolite. I don't buy it, nor am I even concerned about CO levels from vaping at higher temps with other models.

The iolite has been considered a safe vape since it was introduced in Oct. of '08. On this forum anyway, we're not going to sidetrack the iolite thread into a safety issue due to someone's homemade test. It amounts to discussion of material safety, which isn't allowed in a vape discussion thread. Until there's some actual scientific evidence to support this, it goes no further than a discussion of whether the aluminum used in a Volcano is safe or not.

d00dish

I had to open my iolite to fix a short in the wire. Now I get spark in the chamber and the unit lights with the case opened. When I close up the case, I can't get it to light. I think the u shaped conduction pin is not in contact with the copper end cap on the igniter and the bottom of the gas chamber. But they are in contact with the case opened. Anyone figure out how to make sure there is always contact?

d00dish,
Who are you arguing with/against? .
I never intended to argue for anything :

Question for peace of mind though, obviously we are all using this to save our lungs from harmful toxins. But I do remember reading this thread a while ago and seeing a poster saying he had tested it for carbon monoxide and found there to be a dangerous amount!!?? I chose to ignore it at the time but would like to know if anyone has resolved the issue!

That was all, by resolved I meant someone citing a test result from the manufacture which they must have done. All that came from it was people saying its probably fine, which it is. Whatever.

Quantum-Vaper,

max

Out to lunch
The design is such that vapor is routed in one direction-from the heating chamber through the mouthpiece, while the exhaust gases (mostly carbon dioxide and water vapor) from the catalyzed butane are vented out into the air. Putting a running iolite in a box and measuring CO levels is like attachiing a hose to your car exhaust and routing it inside your car. Certainly the car will accumulate CO, but that doesn't mean anything is wrong with the car. It just means the exhaust design has been altered to make the car a chamber of death. You don't use the iolite inside a box. The exhaust gases are released into the air, just like the design for car exhaust. You're not sucking from the exhaust vents, you're drawing on the mouthpiece, which is attached only to the heat chamber, where no exhaust gases are present.

If I knew that he did it in a closed shoe box then of course would conclude his test was invalid, but as I said earlier I didnt see any mention of a shoebox!!!

Quantum-Vaper,

StickyShisha2

i don't use my iolite any longer and haven't been following this thread for the last 50 pages or so,
but way back when, i did a CO test with my io in a small box and it didn't register any.

blowing smoke into the box did set off the detector, but the io sealed in running for a full hour did not.

very easy test to do yourself, as every house should have a CO detector. (they save MANY lives)

StickyShisha2,

OF

If I knew that he did it in a closed shoe box then of course would conclude his test was invalid, but as I said earlier I didnt see any mention of a shoebox!!!

How about if to get a reading at all a guy has to start with a lab grade instrument that can measure next to nothing, then take it into the wilderness (like the tester did) do get away from other sources of CO that you deal with every day that are 'masking' the CO output and then had to stick the sniffer nose up way closer to the vent than you'd ever put your nose and wait to for the instant in the cycle to make your case?

Reminds me of the woman that reports the neighbor is exposing himself to her, insists the cops come out. Cops get there, the hysterical woman is screaming, "look, look, there he is right now". The cops looks but can't see that well that far off. "Use my binoculars" she says. So one of the cops looks through them and sees the man, but the widow is covering him from the waist down so he explains it's not against the law since no exposure has happened. "Stand on the bed, stand on the bed!".

Thanks for the confirmation of your 'shoebox test', SS, but I don't think that's the answer that was wanted? I mean you used a detector designed to find significant levels of CO didn't you? Not a scientific instrument that can detect lower, perfectly safe, levels.

This 'prove it's safe' idea seems backwards to me, the burden should be on those making the charge seems to me. Smacks of 'when did you stop beating your wife?'.

OF

Supercoja

I am new to vaping. The Iolite is my first vaporizer.

I have bit of a problem, When ever I draw on the Ioite I get little bits of herb in my mouth, does this happen to you? How do you fix this problem. I draw on the tube slowly.

Supercoja,

OF

I am new to vaping. The Iolite is my first vaporizer.

I have bit of a problem, When ever I draw on the Ioite I get little bits of herb in my mouth, does this happen to you? How do you fix this problem. I draw on the tube slowly.

No, I don't get bits and I tend to grind pretty fine. Some guys no doubt finer, but I'm finer than most if you follow? Anyway, bigger grind might help.

I also run with a fine half inch diameter SS screen 'under the clip' in the bowl (on top of the factory screen). This makes it easy to keep clean as it's easy to torch the screen clean again. I also usually run 50 mg or a little more bubble hash in the middle of the load so that might gum stuff up some? Anyway, I'd try the fine screen idea, it's getting plugged up so it must be stopping it?

OF

OF,
Guys,I tried the search but found no solution.
I have a problem in the key 0-1
in position 1 does not release the gas.
Anyone have any solutions.
thank you

Kunk afghan,

OF

Guys,I triedthe searchbut found nosolution.
I have a problemin the key0-1
in position 1does notrelease thegas.
Anyonehave any solutions.
thank you

Yes, it's a very common problem. Often fixed by flushes, purges and refills. It's been discussed dozens of times by now, it's covered well on the Wiki page. You should probably start by reading that?

And you might want to fix your choice of fonts, as you can see it's near impossible to read.

Welcome to the fun, hopefully you'll be back on the air soon. You are using top notch fuel, right?

OF

OF,
Sorry by the fonts.
i use colibri butane and the issue occurred in 3rd time of use.
And not fixed by flushes, purges and refills. Don't have any SHHHHHH noise! My problem is the key 0-1 that does not release the gas.
Thanks

Kunk afghan,

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Iolite fans, I'm ashamed of myself, and I owe my Iolite a big apology. :ugh:

Little black Iolite - Please forgive me for completely abandoning you over the last two-plus months (since I got my MFLB, more specifically). It's not you--it's me. I bought you brand-spanking new at the end of January right after I discovered vaporizing (thanks to a friend who taught me how to use you). You worked flawlessly right out of the box, and I never had an issue with you starting up or anything--first click and you were good to go! But being a very enthusiastic, new vaporist, I went a bit crazy and bought a few other vapes. They worked REALLY well and I simply didn't think you worked as well. So I ignored you. How silly of me. :doh:

Today, on a whim (or perhaps you were sending me telepathic messages), I filled you up with butane, grinded some blue dream, and took you on the road as I drove to my weekend running spot. And you were great! You started right up, smooth as can be, even after sitting around for a while. You showed me you deserve a place in my regular vape rotation. Though, this rotation will be a bit complicated since I have three vapes now and will soon have two or three more (HI, VXC, and I'm eyeing another portable). But you'll be used and not abandoned, as it's supposed to be. I think that we bonded again today, and I want you to know you're a special little vape. You're portable enough, powerful enough, and dog gone it--vaporists like you!

Vape on, my little Iolite. Vape on :tup:

Vapinghole,
Reactions: Pipes

u bwade wunner

Kunk Afghan

I can only recommend you send it back to oglesby and butler or your e nearest iolite repair centre.sounds like you have a gas blockage or a switch failure or something

hey vapinghole

ain t they great :tup:

My one niggle is it will cook youre load if its left in the heater part during cool down.

if you remove the stem bowl after you hit,you can use a mf cap to cap the stem,stops youre herb cooking in the hot iolite heater part between hits like say before and after a run.

the vapor tastes so sweet from the iolite:).you can gently vape away on this for half an hour or so in one session.it releases vapor a slower than say a log or the EQ.that means you can hit it 20 mins later and still be getting light delicate hits from it.

it will be my choice of vape to take on a holiday flight because you can buy a new stem bowl beforehand for $20 on ebay. take the iolite with a pouch of rolling tobacco and off you go on a plane.find that beach seller guy thats always hanging around:D .vape like crazy all holiday long. wash out the stem with iso before you fly home

worst case you can throw the stem away before you go through customs on your e way back.the rest of the iolite heater area is sealed so can be thorougly cleaned/wiped out before you fly home.its a great travel vape.

would nt be without it .happy that you re having fun with it while out and about:)

u bwade wunner,
Reactions: Vapinghole
Top Bottom