freeman dyson

I sent my iolite away for repair about a month ago. anyone know now long it usually takes? I know they had a break. I sent them an email yesterday asking about the status of my unit and I got this email within a few hours:

"Our offices are now closed

We value your correspondence and will endeavour to get back to you as soon as possible."

??? Closed for what? The day?

freeman dyson,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
they probably have an automated email to let you know that your email was received. One of two things, they are closed for the day, or they are not back from their two week break.
you probably emailed them in the middle of the night when no one was available to email you.

DevoTheStrange,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I received email from them at the beginning of the week. Over the weekend I got the auto-respond message. Time difference and all....they're probably closed for the day. Good luck Freeman, I'm hoping to hear something good from you after you get the Io back :)

Lo,

StationX

Hi There, just got this done all the stuff suggested and my opinion is simple, it just aint hot enough!

Was wondering if I were to send it back to the factory if I could have a factory temperature re-cal of + 30C?

Otherwise I think I will plump for a refund as it doesn't do what I thought it would,

Cheers,

StationX

StationX,

Derf

StationX said:
Hi There, just got this done all the stuff suggested and my opinion is simple, it just aint hot enough!

Was wondering if I were to send it back to the factory if I could have a factory temperature re-cal of + 30C?

Otherwise I think I will plump for a refund as it doesn't do what I thought it would,

Cheers,

StationX
The temperature regulation technology used in the iolite has been stated to be a "bi-metal" thermostat. Emerson Therm-O-Disc is a leading supplier of temperature sensors, temperature controls and electrical switches to the global commercial industries. You can read about their products online. Their bimetal thermistors are very accurate, so I would assume that the technology in the Iolite is similar and also accurate at regulating the temperature. I'm thinking that the way it was works is the way it was designed.

If you are sure that your temperature measurement is accurate, and aren't happy with your iolite, you might consider selling it here in the classifieds or asking for a refund from O&B, but it does do what it was advertised to do. My Iolite definitely gets me high. It probably does not vaporize all the cannabinoids in the herb, as evidenced by the fact that combining my ABV herb into food stuffs ALSO gets me high. However, there are many cannabinoids in marijuana, and they probably all have different vaporization temperatures. The Iolite operating temperature probably covers many of these cannabinoid's vaporization points, but not all of them.

If you want thicker clouds of vapor, perhaps a hotter operating temp vaporizer may deliver that, but increased temp requires increased fuel usage, which may decrease operating longevity before requiring a refill. It may also be less healthful, since increased temperatures have been associated with the creation of PAH gasses, napthalene, and toluene production.

Until more research has been done on the subject, the exact ideal temperature to get you stoned while minimizing negative health effects has yet to be determined. Obviously the closer you get to combustion the thicker your vapor will get, but thicker vapor is not necessarily better vapor for you.

Derf,

StationX

Thanks for the reply Derf, very informative, any idea how to adjust or do you know where to get a service manual?

In the meantime for some more serious kicking back with your gorgeous mixture of dandelion and nettles ;) I thought of a good way to give your Iolite a wee Rocket Boost :brow:

Pop off the plastic lid and discard :o use your cooker on your bowl and all vapi happy :lol:

StationX,

jvenegas90

i have a question about the iolite....i just got one and i was wondering how do u know when to actually start inhaling the vapor?and when do u know its done for sure.....i have heard that it takes about 15 mins and some say 45 secs so i dont know...i felt the effects for a lil but went away...i was anxious to try so i didnt wait that long

jvenegas90,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
jvenegas90 said:
i have a question about the iolite....i just got one and i was wondering how do u know when to actually start inhaling the vapor?and when do u know its done for sure.....i have heard that it takes about 15 mins and some say 45 secs so i dont know...i felt the effects for a lil but went away...i was anxious to try so i didnt wait that long
Okay, load your herb, turn the gas selector to position 1 and hit the ignition switch. The gas will ignite; wait for it to go out. Start hitting. A nice, long slow draw. When it starts heating up again, exhale, take a breath or two and start inhaling again when the hester is off. Repeat until you are as baked as you want to be. The first heating does take about 20-40 seconds, but after that it takes less time, The thermostat will attempt tp stay at 190C (I think). If you hit it for 15 minutes straight, I think you;d be pretty far gone.

HTH

Tom

tdavie,

ioright

Cloud Connoisseur
I recieved my spare mouthpieces in the mail this morning after a month of wait. Stainless steel threads on the two they sent me. I will report later tonight whether or not they break right away. I hope they don't!

Cheers

ioright,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
Thanks Derf! I still have a habit of putting my finger over the mouthpiece in between hits, bad habit I suppose!

Anyone has having issues with cleaning the heat pin? I have spent hours trying to get the brown color off but no luck so far. I have tried alcohol, 420 cleaner, even "goo gone" and I cant seem to get it spotless. Is it common for the heating pin to become browned after awhile? If anyone has any tips or tricks I would greatly appreciate it. I have been so happy with the Iolite I just ordered my first SSV! Can't wait for it to arrive so I have so more questions for everyone!

AgentofChaos,

Derf

AgentofChaos said:
Thanks Derf! I still have a habit of putting my finger over the mouthpiece in between hits, bad habit I suppose!

Anyone has having issues with cleaning the heat pin? I have spent hours trying to get the brown color off but no luck so far. I have tried alcohol, 420 cleaner, even "goo gone" and I cant seem to get it spotless. Is it common for the heating pin to become browned after awhile? If anyone has any tips or tricks I would greatly appreciate it. I have been so happy with the Iolite I just ordered my first SSV! Can't wait for it to arrive so I have so more questions for everyone!
My heat pin is starting to brown too. It hasn't effected performance. It may not be a residue left behind from the herb, but actually the metal oxidizing, which has been accelerated by the high temperature the metal reaches. I believe the metal base may be aluminum (so it conducts heat better), which I read from O&B on their site, which does oxidize. You have to be careful what you use to clean it. I'm sure some HCL would remove the brown stuff (probably oxidation), but I wouldn't want any residues left behind in my vape, let alone if there is a chemical reaction with HCL. HCL is one of the active ingredients in Easy Off oven cleaner.

I would stick with with just ethanol alcohol and leave the oxidation layer. It isn't hurting anything. But if you wish to try, read here:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4500082_clean-oxidized-aluminum.html

Derf,

steiner666

Serial vapist
StationX said:

Cheers,

StationX
I don't own an iolite, but couldn't someone increase the temperature of the bowl by just hitting it softer so the hot air stays on the herb longer? I know that I leave my DBV at noon and if some noob comes by and just cranks on it they'll get a couple light hits but that it, but if you slow your hit speed as the vapor becomes thinner it will help give you more. Another idea would be to try grinding your stuff up finer to expose more surface area.

You could get a bigger vape to use when you're at home. You could save your ABV from teh iolite throughout the day (or however/whenever you use it) and then give it another pass in a vape with higher temp settings later on. In fact, i've been thinking about getting an iolite and doing it this way myself. As it is now I usually vape my stuff twice, i vape green pieces of buds and then set them aside afterwards and then later on i grind the stuff up to almost powder and vape-bong it at a slightly higher temp.

Just a thought.

steiner666,

Derf

@ Ciarn@O&B

Thanks for visiting these boards; it is a very nice endorsement of the product support you offer! I received my replacement metal-tipped mouth pieces from you with very little wait and have been very happy with not only your product but the customer support.

For those of us state-side, what is the estimated turn-around time for service if/when we send our Iolite to you in Ireland?

Derf,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I'm talking about the detachable bowl where the mouthpiece screws/unscrews into and from and NOT the chamber part with the heat pin.

I vaped a small amount, disassembled and then unscrewed the mouthpiece. I do this after every use so that it does not become stuck on the threads. Scrape the inside of the bowl with the metal pokey thing, and then use an eye dropper to drop 100% ISO down through the threads until it runs clear (according to what information I can find, any plastic in the mouthpiece should be completely insoluble in ISO, so I'm good to go. I then rinse with a bit of 100% ethanol, and distilled, deionized water. I then let the mouthpiece dry (you could use a hair dryer with the heat turned off. Let it dry, and then reloaded with about 0.1g bone/dust of the desert dry herb, attached everything and it draws a lot easier.

Tom

(as an aside, I find that the Iolite works best with small loads like 0.1g that are dry as dry can be and ground into molecular sized dust. I find about 6-8 heat on/offs (3 with the gas on, 3-5 with the gas off) the herb gets cashed out, to be put in a small box for use at a higher temperature in another vaporizer, be it portable or home model. I find that the Iolite struggles with weed that is wet or large loads, so I try to avoid both).

tdavie,

Kush Vapez

had it a few weeks now.

Dr Greens cleaner is by far the best for cleaning it.

Also, I've learned to let it sit 3-5 mins to get everything to full temp. I only take hits inbetween the time it reheats. (might just be me) I figure I shouldn't be removing the heat while its trying to heat lol. But I've found that for best results wait 5 mins... and slow/constant hits, which you hold in for full flavor is best.

I dont use tubing on mine, or all the stem attachments... just the little black add on and the white condensor.. makes the stem like 1.5 inches... doesn't bother me, but friends say its harsh.

Kush Vapez,

jimbo

winterize
I personally don't pack it full, 0.1g is all I need, It seems to produce better vapes if I only put in that much in... but thats just my experience....

jimbo,

jvenegas90

i have a question.....r u suppose to pack the whole bowl?? or just lil ones?...(wrote it again...didnt sound right lol)

jvenegas90,

Lo

I do fill it up sometimes but most of the time no... It does seem to work better if the chamber isn't completely full.

Lo,

Kush Vapez

Had it for a bit now. Needless to say at least for me it packs a powerful punch from a .3g pack.

Been loving the vape world. Tried to take a bong rip and it tasted terrible, made my head hurt, and was just unpleasant since I've been using this vape for a few weeks. I'm officially a vaporizer and not a combuster anymore. Guess it takes a few weeks of enjoying the beauty of a clean high to realize what really is best for consumption of cannabis.

Few questions:

1. I prefer large hits. Is it best to take a hit, and let it mellow for a min or so until the next? Or should i just puff away?

2. Big bowl packs or small?

3. Does adding some tubing to it increase the draw.. or only cool it? I'm looking for absolute biggest possible hits from this device.

4. I may have a broken peice in the unit, but IDK. If i shake it a bit i can hear something lightly rattle? Is there a moving piece in it, or is it possible something got knocked loose in shipping? (no its not the piezo button or on/off switch because i held it when i inverted it to try to figure out what it was. Also need to mention that its not as if it sounds like something is free moving all around in the unit.. just like someone didn't tighten something all the way down if that makes sense. I find it still works fine, always starts on the first click, heats up regularly to maintain temp, etc. I don't notice much visible vapor from my exhales.. but that might be from how slow and deep i take my hits, and hold them.. but yes i do see a bit of vapor, and it deffinitely gets me stoned..

Help would be greatly appreciated, for I am the kind of person that needs to know his products well, and have the sound mind this thing wont blow up in my face.

BTW I'm getting interested in a table top model now.. any ideas? Looking for something that works nice for around 200-300.

Thanks guys.

Kush Vapez,

Lo

1. I prefer to let it rest in between hits

2. Don't overpack but I have filled the bowl, it just takes longer and midway through I give it a little stir if I've filled it up.

3. I've never found the need for tubing though I have some that fits... It has been mentioned it can be used to cool the vapor.

4. I don't know... Both of my Io's have a little something rattling in there but I've never had a probem. You could email support if you think there is a problem but I have heard others mention a rattle of unknown origin.

Hmmm... Table-top! Well, I love, love, love my PD for efficiency and ease of use that just can't be beat in my opinion. I also just got an SSV for big fun when I want to go crazy. I LOVE it and man...huge bong style hits but.... I've sure gone through some herb with it.

It really depends on your likes, etc. I'm not a bag fan. I was VERY tempted by the VHW too but also a little intimidated by it being newer to vaping as well.

Good luck and oh congratulations on the switch to vapor!!

Lo,

Kush Vapez

thanks for the reply.

Glad to hear that unknown rattling has been heard of before. works great tho.

I just love the cleaner feeling of the high from vaping... i don't get that "head thump" that i get while combusting a lot. Im sure some of you know what i mean by head thump lol.

Feel free to keep posting guys.. the more knowledge the better.

Thanks.

Kush Vapez,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Kush Vapez said:
Few questions:

1. I prefer large hits. Is it best to take a hit, and let it mellow for a min or so until the next? Or should i just puff away?

2. Big bowl packs or small?

3. Does adding some tubing to it increase the draw.. or only cool it? I'm looking for absolute biggest possible hits from this device.

BTW I'm getting interested in a table top model now.. any ideas? Looking for something that works nice for around 200-300.

Thanks guys.
1. I let mine pre warm with herb in it for 3 heating cycles, and then inhale slow and steady. I don't get monster hits, but all of a sudden I find that I can't walk very well :) I use about 0.2g bone dry very finely powdered material in mine.

2. I find that if I oack it full and dense it doesn't draw very well, so I'd say big or small bowl, but not packed in very tightly..

3. Never used tubing on it so I can't say, but I would guess it only cools (watch, someone will prove me wrong, but then I've been a dunderhead today :))

I've only got one table top model; the Extreme. It's got whip draw, whip forced vapor and fiddly bags (but once they're put together they work a treat). The bags don't have an automatic valve closing system like the Zephyr or Volcano (although I 'borrowed' an inline stopcock that I intend to use as a valve tomorrow night), but it is only $259 Cdn (eh dunno the price in US but close I would guess. I'm currently lusting after a Volcano digital, but then I like shiny lights.

Tom

tdavie,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@Kush Just checked and I hear the rattling thing too. Not worried since I've used it daily pretty much since Dec 11. Tomorrow night I'll check and see if my GF's Iolite rattles as well.

Tom

tdavie,
Top Bottom