Raf007

Retailer
No 800 phone number. Call to Ireland indeed. No waiting time.
It's the only contact I had, and he guy was nice. That's all i can say ;)

Raf007,

UrDoinItWrong

I am still on my original all-plastic stem that came with my Iolite, with a spare in case this one takes a bullet or something. My original stem is durable as hell, Iolite needs to go back to this design with whatever was the deal with the first few runs.

UrDoinItWrong,

Konrad_Zuse

I'm confused at what the difference between turning the unit on and the ignition switch? It makes noise when turned on, so it seems like it's heating, so what is the ignition switch for? I'm a bit confused lol.

Konrad_Zuse,

rbrown13

from the land of milk and honey (Oil that is...)
UrDoinItWrong said:
I am still on my original all-plastic stem that came with my Iolite, with a spare in case this one takes a bullet or something. My original stem is durable as hell, Iolite needs to go back to this design with whatever was the deal with the first few runs.
Well I can tell you're lucky because my SS one broke while sitting on my desk. I had a session with it and it was fine I laid on my desk in my office and when I came back a couple of hours later it was cracked and unusable.

rbrown13,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Konrad_Zuse said:
I'm confused at what the difference between turning the unit on and the ignition switch? It makes noise when turned on, so it seems like it's heating, so what is the ignition switch for? I'm a bit confused lol.
You turn the unit on and it is opening the gas valve. That, and when you push the ignitor starts the heating to a specific temp (dunno what it is though). As long as the unit is on (gas valve open) AND you've pressed the ignitor and it has ignited, it will attempt to keep the heat at a constant temp until the butane runs out. So, turning the unit on turns on gas. Inititing starts a constant reignite cycle (I think).

It isn't heating until after successful ignition.

Tom

tdavie,

rbrown13

tdavie said:
Konrad_Zuse said:
You turn the unit on and it is opening the gas valve. That, and when you push the ignitor starts the heating to a specific temp (dunno what it is though). As long as the unit is on (gas valve open) AND you've pressed the ignitor and it has ignited, it will attempt to keep the heat at a constant temp until the butane runs out. So, turning the unit on turns on gas. Inititing starts a constant reignite cycle (I think).

It isn't heating until after successful ignition.

Tom
Max. temp 190c

rbrown13,

Raf007

Retailer
Ignition gives that little sparkle to the gaz also, like what you have on a gaz stove.

And yes, the unit can be cleaned, with a Q tip mainly.

Raf007,

rbrown13

Well I finally got a response from O&B they will send me a replacement mouthpiece in 14 working days for my week old $225 " next Generation in Vaporizers" that wont work because of a $.25 plastic part, I am so sick of companies using the general public as beta testers for their products, I so want to love this iolite but reliability is a huge issue for me apparently it is not a huge issue for O&B. :2c:

rbrown13,

EkoTToP

I bought my Iolite a couple weeks ago and just last night the stem melted and broke off in the threads. I was able to remove the plastic from the threads and install the replacement mouth piece but then that one broke after ONE use!!! Now I do not have a mouth piece to use. After spending over 200$ on this thing I feel cheated that I have to spend another 20$ to get a replacement. This is unacceptable.

EkoTToP,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
hehe I've always thought of the Iolite as the Xbox 360 of the vaporizers. Works amazingly well, but you never know when you will have a problem with it.
instead of red ring of death, it is the dreaded melted mouthpiece.

DevoTheStrange,

rbrown13

mine was the updated SS insert mouthpiece and let me tell you it's a piece of crap as well.

rbrown13,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I got mine right after they had just changed their name from I-Inhale to Iolite. So I have one of the original stems. I have no problem with it what so ever. I still don't see why they don't just go back to that.
None of these problems with the stems started until they stopped using those ones.

DevoTheStrange,

rbrown13

DevoTheStrange said:
I got mine right after they had just changed their name from I-Inhale to Iolite. So I have one of the original stems. I have no problem with it what so ever. I still don't see why they don't just go back to that.
None of these problems with the stems started until they stopped using those ones.
I've heard this same thing from others as well, makes ya wonder why they would make such a change that would end up costing so much in replacements.

rbrown13,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
My original stems from back in the day have never given me a problem either. In fact, I loaned it to a friend for about four months of hard use. I was worried about him fucking it up because of all the mouthpiece problems reported here. He returned it with no problems. And he used it a ton...lots more sticky stuff in it than when I gave it to him. Freaked me out when he gave it back to me...he pulled out the bowl with the stem attached as he had it like that loose in the backpack. I was shocked he didn't break it while he had it.

stickstones,

MDBudz

I have come to realize that my Iolite is EXTREMELY temperature sensitive with regards to ignition. At temperatures below 65 degrees it is very difficult to ignite. After turning on the gas, it will take up to several minutes before the gas flow is strong enough to ignite. The butane will hiss very faintly initially and slowly start increasing in intensity.

However, when kept in warmer temps it will normally ignite right away after turning on the gas. I have seen mention from the mfg that it doesn't work in very cold temps, but I'm surprised at the difficulty at temps that I would not have considered cold. Anyone else with similar experience?

MDBudz,

nedvaper

MDBudz said:
I have come to realize that my Iolite is EXTREMELY temperature sensitive with regards to ignition. At temperatures below 65 degrees it is very difficult to ignite. After turning on the gas, it will take up to several minutes before the gas flow is strong enough to ignite. The butane will hiss very faintly initially and slowly start increasing in intensity.

However, when kept in warmer temps it will normally ignite right away after turning on the gas. I have seen mention from the mfg that it doesn't work in very cold temps, but I'm surprised at the difficulty at temps that I would not have considered cold. Anyone else with similar experience?
Yes, a cold Iolite is a sad Iolite. :(

When I leave my Iolite in the car (I live near NYC), on cold mornings it can take up to 40 minutes or longer before it will ignite. The colder it is, the longer it takes. But after it starts working, no problems.

Other than that, I'm basically quite pleased with the Iolite. My biggest complaint is the cost of the butane - and the fact that I need to refill the unit after about 15-20 minutes of steady use. Where they came up with "2 hours" is beyond me.

nedvaper,

Raf007

Retailer
Wow, I guet like 1h30 max, when it's not 1h.
Maybe due to the fact that iy's not possible to see if it's filled up or not.
But it one year, i have used one and half bottle of 100ml. Using it between 6 times a days to 0 in 2 weeks.
So you really have to bring your bottle if you're the only one with an iolite for an evening in a restaurant or a bar for example.

Raf007,

fidget

Long time lurker first time poster.
Bought an Iolite before Christmas as my first vape.
After 20+ years of smoking I hoped to gradually switch over to vaping only.
It took only 3 days to completely switch and I'm never going back to combusting. :)

Ok back to the Iolite.
There is definitely a learning curve with these things and most of the main points are covered somewhere in this epic thread.
My question for Iolite users on here is how long are you getting visible vapor for?
I use Red Dragon hydroponically grown, well cured and absolutely glistening with crystal.
I loosely pack the chamber to about two thirds full (0.15g or so?) and preheat my iolite.
I tend to take long slow hits (15 seconds?) and hit it once each heating cycle.
The vapor is nice and tasty for about 20 minutes then I am still getting visible vapor (with decreasing taste) for at least another 10 minutes. I usually turn it off while still getting visible thin vapor.
My ABV is pretty dark but definitely no combustion.

Is this normal?

Great forum and a great group of people by the way.

fidget,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
fidget said:
I loosely pack the chamber to about two thirds full (0.15g or so?) and preheat my iolite.
I tend to take long slow hits (15 seconds?) and hit it once each heating cycle.
The vapor is nice and tasty for about 20 minutes then I am still getting visible vapor (with decreasing taste) for at least another 10 minutes. I usually turn it off while still getting visible thin vapor.
My ABV is pretty dark but definitely no combustion.

Is this normal?
Sounds pretty normal to me. I'm using 0.1 to 0.15 grams like you. Sometimes I'll preheat my Iolite for 3 cycles, and sometimes I'll start hitting it after one 'heat'. I'll usually continue (5-10 hits) until I'm blazed, and then turn the unit off (knowing that it sometimes takes a few cycles to really turn off, I'll turn the gas off early, but keep hitting it until it really stops). I find the early hits (first 2 or maybe three heating cycles) give a nice mellow head buzz. Using it after three cycles seems to give a deep, strong body buzz.

My ABV looks like unsmoked tobacco.

Tom

tdavie,

Raf007

Retailer
Just an update, last friday I received the new metal SS, and they also send me second one, and two new mouthpieces !
So, from what I have tested, i can say that they do care about customers ! THx !

Raf007,

slickg

Hiya guys new to the forum. I picked up an iolite after reading most of the reviews on here.

So far im not too sure its working as its supposed to. It heats up so the orange light goes out, after that it cycles but im just not getting any visible vapor. Do most of you get a lot of visible vapor?

slickg,
Top Bottom