micitacel

The gas flows as necessary, controlled by the thermostat. If you draw a lot of air through it, the gas comes on more often, of course.

micitacel,

Kush Vapez

@ioguy

The stems does hold what we call "honey"

Simply scrape it out with a toothpick. Tonight however i took my io stem, after i used it, put it in some 151 rum.. with about 5 grams of ABV. But I'll leave that for my post about my tincture.

Kush Vapez,

ioguy

Oh, I meant the stems of the herb.
Can we include them for vape or is it not worth it.
thanks

ioguy,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
Update on the fine mesh screen I put in 3 days ago . After running about a quarter oz. through this thing the screen has start to clog , so back to the original screen . While on the topic of screens , does anyone find a difference with hits if they don't have the bottom screen on the pin ?

ioguy - vape herb only . no stems and especially no seeds

Samsquanch,

max

Out to lunch
does anyone find a difference with hits if they don't have the bottom screen on the pin ?
Reports have been either no noticeable difference or better hits without the screen. All things considered (mainly avoiding problems with reinstalling the pin, if you have the older, removeable style), you're better off without the bottom screen.

max,

JDS904

First time poster. Bought my Iolite four days ago and I am not getting the satisfaction I paid the big bucks for. Ok here is my routine;

1. Turn on Iolite
2. Wait about five minutes
3. Inhale

Now I get a very, very small buzz. I have been taking deep and slow breaths while inhaling and I've now sat around three time for 15 minutes puffing this thing and I am not at the high I want to be.

More specifics: I use about .2 in each bowl, I am using a local grown herb here in Hawaii that is pretty moist, it's that sticky shit. I am using Butane from Wal-Mart

any suggestions?

JDS904,

zombonaut

Get your herb dry and grind it fine.

Try to find a quality ultra refined butane at tobacco shops or online. The conventional wisdom is that Ronson's quality is not good in the US.

zombonaut,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
Thanks Max , kinda what if figured , I didn't get a pin screen on mine , dude didn't have much left but the the iolite , case , and shaft , no accessories . Now if I could just get my hands on some of these new stainless tipped shafts , Ill go back to the original configuration. But for now , I cut a stainless reducer 1" long with the same inside diameter as the original shaft tip, and then slide in a 4" plastic sleeve/tube with an outside diameter to fit the inside diameter of the plastic cap. It's about as close as I can get to the original air path dimensions. Just got tired of fixing the original stem .

Update , ok screw the plastic sleeve , I adapted a glass one hitter as a stem and I must say the flavor Is beautiful , I believe this is how it will stay now :)
Its just a shame that there isn't glass stems for these things , but that's just me , I got a thing for glass

Samsquanch,

Kush Vapez

@JDS904

Are you new to vaporizing? In most vape cases, especially for the iolite. It vaporizes your thc and only a bit of the CBA/CBN. Without getting a big dose of the CBN/CBA.. your high effect from the thc will be a cerebral/head high. The cannabinoids is what gives you the "head thump" and the stoned effect.

So save your already been vaped herbs in a jar to bake with later on.

Kush Vapez,

JDS904

I used to vape out of light bulbs so I would say I'm fairly new to the iolite vape. Can I attain a better high on my vaporizer or is the buzz I am feeling the only thing that's going to happen?

JDS904,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
jds904 - Ive had mine about the same length of time , this vape likes dry weed and a light pack job , filled around half way generally . Had 5 different strains through it and each had its own distinct flavor trail . (flavor trail - the changing flavors from start to finish). You gonna get as good of a high as you can get for 190 c but if you want a deeper stone you gotta play with higher temps.

Samsquanch,

KuMaK

@Kush

Unfortunately It was my first iolite that I used in my sleeve only once mind you.
The second was treated like a newborn and still went kerput. As far as venting goes I'm an expert.
I sucessfully vented both previous iolite numerous times and got them back working again using the official techniques they just didn't stay working and got progressively worse till they became impossible to use.

That said Im on number 3 and so far so good. I love iolites and I have to say O & B customer service is the best experience I've had with any company.

To people saying they are getting no response from O & B give it a chance. Were not dealing with a massive company here just a family business and being in one myself I know exactly what they are dealing with. Just like you or me sometimes people get the flu or go on holidays and not just sitting waiting for your email. Dominic and Ciaran are sound lads and keep an eye on here regularly which is fantastic as they can see first hand any issues we have and how they can improve it in the future.

Update : Had a great conversation with Ciaran. He is replacing my unit thankfully, and will let me know what if anything is wrong with it. Also discovered that they are listening to any and all ideas and ways to improve their device in the future and infact I discovered there will be some exciting news soon, put I'll leave that for O & B to tell you about ;) Dont worry its not a new version so dont let theat stop you from your purchase

In the meantime, can I ask the Mods if we can create a thread solely for what improvements we would like to see in the next model.

For now I'll start it here.

Butane level viewable

On and off button nothing else. More parts more things to break.
Temperature variation, even if its just normal and high, turn a screw, something like that.
Quiter ? No cool down time if possible??
I'd love a battery powered one that you plug in to recharge, however since O&B are experts in butane tools I doubt thats an option but would be nice to do away with fiddly cans of butane.

Thats all I can think of right now ;)

KuMaK,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
Hello all. It's come time to clean the mouthpiece and herb chamber of my Iolite, and I have 100% Isopropyl Alcohol which I know will dissolve all the goodies that have built up (it was really disgusting when I probed a toothpick in the mouthpiece....looked like very dak earwax), but I'm curious to know if this will harm either of the two pieces in any way? (I assume that the plastic is insoluble in the isopropyl but I don't know, and I also assume that the iso won't harm the metal screen or herb chamber).

Anyone know or have cleaned their Iolite in this manner?

thanks

Tom

(and yup, I will clean it properly and dry it after Iso'ing it)

tdavie,

max

Out to lunch
ISO is fine. I wouldn't soak iolite parts in it though for any length of time. Wouldn't worry about any staining on the metal either, as long as you give it a thorough cleaning. A pipe cleaner works well with the mouthpiece. After ISO, I'd give the parts a good hot water rinse too.

max,

JDS904

Samsquanch said:
jds904 - Ive had mine about the same length of time , this vape likes dry weed and a light pack job , filled around half way generally . Had 5 different strains through it and each had its own distinct flavor trail . (flavor trail - the changing flavors from start to finish). You gonna get as good of a high as you can get for 190 c but if you want a deeper stone you gotta play with higher temps.
Ah I see. I bought the wrong type of vape. :(. Damn there goes $200!

JDS904,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
It's just great for portability and stealthiness , its all I use out of the house now, but at home I use a variable temp whip based vape . Now with a portable unit I can officially stop smoking altogether.

Samsquanch,

StationX

JDS904 said:
Ah I see. I bought the wrong type of vape. :(. Damn there goes $200!
I am also in same position with the same opinion, I have ordered up one of these http://www.supremevaporizer.com/ as I think it looks a lot more impressive and it gets very good reviews, although it doesnt seem to be as popular. If you like I can report the differences in to you when I get it :)
It shouldn't be too long now!

StationX,

KuMaK

After checking out the supreme I think your mad. 30 day warranty?
And from
another thread

max said:
I bought a Supreme over two years ago. Here's what I said on the thread that vc just linked-

"The Supreme Vaporizer works great. Great hits and a nice, accurate display. You need a good table top, lockable torch though, and you can burn yourself or the furniture with either the exposed heat exchanger or the torch. Once you're high this vape takes careful use. It's great when you've got no power though."

As as update to that, I'd have to say that the Supreme, although a solid performer and dependable unit, gets beat pretty badly by other butane powered vapes in the area of convenience. The heatup/reheat time is a drawback, although once it gets hot, the aluminum heat exchanger holds temp pretty well. The VaporGenie is load and hit, and although it's harder to use successfully to avoid burning, it leaves you with enough $ left over to buy a Purple-Days :brow: .

The Supreme is also a poor choice for stealth. A similar design is the Phyto-Lab-no display, and I think of it as a 'windy day butane vape', but it's about half the price ($109 at Vapenow and the owner likes it) and it's the same type vape -'heat then vape'.

If you decide to buy the Supreme, check eBay. There's an auction for $170 + shipping (manufacturer is the seller).

KuMaK,

StationX

Hmm, I like its looks, it's for the house and it fits in a bong, so versatile. I understand it's a bit cumbersome to load and heat but worth it coz it gives big hits & the Iolite could be for out where you wouldn't want that. I have to say I read what you wrote but it was 1 of few bad against many good, but heh I'll find out for myself + your probably right, many say I'm mad.
If it's me you mean?

What do you think of the Iolite?

StationX,

quomist

Rock the Casbah
StationX said:
Hmm, I like its looks, it's for the house and it fits in a bong, so versatile. I understand it's a bit cumbersome to load and heat but worth it coz it gives big hits & the Iolite could be for out where you wouldn't want that. I have to say I read what you wrote but it was 1 of few bad against many good, but heh I'll find out for myself + your probably right, many say I'm mad.
If it's me you mean?

What do you think of the Iolite?
I have an Iolite and like it. It is great as a travel vape but that means I dont use it very often. As for home vaping, I would rather much have a Supreme. There are some good vids on the forum using it with glass and it can give monster hits.

quomist,

max

Out to lunch
The iolite and Supreme are both portables, but so different otherwise that I can't see narrowing a portable list down to them. If you want ease of use and stealth, the Supreme doesn't cut it. If you want variable temp and the ability to use 'bong assist' for big hits, the iolite is out. It's an apples and oranges comparison.

max,

StationX

max said:
The iolite and Supreme are both portables, but so different otherwise that I can't see narrowing a portable list down to them. If you want ease of use and stealth, the Supreme doesn't cut it. If you want variable temp and the ability to use 'bong assist' for big hits, the iolite is out. It's an apples and oranges comparison.
Oops Max I thought Kumak said that but now I see he quotes you.
Well most folk have different tastes, one will prefer an apple and another an orange, I personally prefer an orange but an apple is easier to eat! Satsumas are better than them both I think, I'm hoping it's more like a Satsuma :)

StationX,

Kush Vapez

wanted to state. i packed up a much smaller bowl then i usually do in my iolite and was very impressed to see more visible vapor. has anyone else found this to be the case?

Kush Vapez,

Samsquanch

Vapor Astronaut
ya , I give it a pre heat for 5min , then the first pack (when I say pack a bowl , I mean lightly packed) i do is a quarter bowl , and mmmm vapes pretty quick , after that one fill a three quarter cause shes running nice and hot by then.

Just another note , Im enjoying this product as I type , and the more I use it , the more I love it :) :) :) , there isnt a person that I've used this with that hassnt hit me up for one for themselves.

Samsquanch,

Kush Vapez

i dropped mine last night. :o

the part where it vents popped open slightly, but i pushed it back together and everything seems to be okay.

I am however starting to believe that i have a butane leak.. or my butane im using has a leak in the dispense valve. If i just lightly push in on it while refilling it does okay, then a little squit comes out telling me its full. but if i try to push down hard on it, it shoots from all directions, sometimes from the valve on the butane can.

Anyone else experience this?

It seems im only getting an hour or so per fill. Could be wrong tho, as I do lose track of time sometimes lol.

Speaking of which, I'm gonna be late for work!

Kush Vapez,
Top Bottom