Dallas

Myself and a friend picked up 2 of these this weekend. (we got a pretty good deal, $200 tax included each) We were staying with a lot of people over the weekend so we didn't really get a chance to try it until the 6 hour drive home. We each loaded .5 bowls and proceeded to get baked out of our skulls. Very impressive little unit. I had not felt a high like that since using my friends volcano months ago.

Needless to say switching from multiple blunts a day to vaping with the Iolite has made a world of difference in how my throat/chest feels.

Dallas,

travis

Ancient - about 10-14 days from when they say they are shipping them to you. It's worth the wait, the new design is very nice.

travis,

Dallas

travis said:
Ancient - about 10-14 days from when they say they are shipping them to you. It's worth the wait, the new design is very nice.
Yeah i just aw the design online. Very nice looking unit. The friend that bought one with me purchased a pink one since it was had left. He got a girl friend of ours to smoke a solo bowl with it and now she is buying it next week haha. He should have his new one on order soon.

Dallas,

KuMaK

This could be my problem, the stuff is hard to come by in Ireland and it's also quite expensive (12 euro or something for 500ml
Yay Im in Dublin ! Let me know how you get on and where you found the cleaner if you wouldn't mind ? Also what butane do you use and where did you find it? Finally have you any other vaporisers ? Did you buy them in Ireland? Price Location etc? Appreciate it!
:D

Ive been reading this forum since day 2 of owning my iolite, 4-5months. Although I'm in a lucky position of living in the country where the iolite is made I've been having some issues lately.

I have found my iolite was only staying hot for 30 mins or so before I would have to re-fill, up until last night when it started making strange hisses. Now I have heard these before and put them down to butane impurities and they never adversely affected the iolite.

However last night it took me over 30 mins of clicking to get it started and when it finally did ignite sometimes the orange heating light would stuttered to a stop, sometimes it would be fine.

But heres my major problem, it would not re-heat. The temp would drop as normal, the butane would kick back in, but the light never comes back on so it doesn't heat and the butane just keeps flowing.

Eventually after 10 mins of so the hissing changes slightly and I can relight and heat all over again. I used up a few bowls last night just trying to get it going :(

I used to smoke around 10-15 joints a day with tobacco but the iolite has me a changed man. I have no other vaporisers (that'll be in another post) and I really don't want to go back to old skool joints.

I know this could be a butane issue but I think I'm using one of the recommended brands (Newport-in a white can europe/irish brand) but I'm trying to find other brands. Not too many tobacco shops here in Ireland for that sort of thing though.

Also I have bled the system numourous times so its not an air issue. This is my last hope before I send it back.

As anyone else had similar that they managed to fix ? Im going to upload a video of my issue too, so Ill be back !

Last long post Ill do, sorry !

KuMaK,

KuMaK

Just got this back from Iolite Support. It may be posted elsewhere as I have seen similar before, however he says himself the instructions have been updated. It might save someone else with the same problem.
Im sorry to hear you are having trouble with your iolite.

About your choice of butane; Newport is probably the best brand you can get in Europe/World as most other brands of high quality butane; Colibri, London, Sarome are rebadged Newport.

Unfortunately as the iolite is a butane device it will have problems with the cold.

If the temperature is close to or below freezing (as it is now) the iolite will need to be warmed to room/body temperature before ignition. However when hot and running it will function correctly.

I realise you have vented/refilled the iolite already, however, here are our up to date instructions for this process which may differ from yours.

Please follow the following troubleshooting below to vent and refill the iolite.

Also please use a new can of butane for this procedure. (Please note this may need to be done at least twice)

1. Please make sure to read the warning on the back of your can of butane before proceeding with the following instructions.

2. Move to a well ventilated area, outside is best.

3. Make sure the unit is off. Turn the unit upside down and point away from your body. Make sure your face is not in the path of the released gas.

4. Using the small end of the handtool (if you have the newer hand tool it will be too large to use, in this case use the lid of a biro or something that will fit but not damage the valve), depress the gas valve and let all the gas dispel ensuring to keep hands clear of liquid gas spraying from the valve, this may take up to or more than 1 minute, it will be empty when you can no longer hear a hiss.

5. Please do not use a nearly empty can of butane fuel as this may cause problems with the functioning of the iolite.

6. Hold the iolite in one hand with the gas valve at the top.

7. With your other hand hold the butane can upside down.

8. Position the butane can at an angle and offer it to the filling valve then move the can perpendicular to the filling valve ensuring a good seal.

9. Press down gently but firmly (excessive spray back is a sign that either the butane can has not created a proper seal or the gas tank may already be full).

10. When the iolite is full, there will be visible spray back of fuel from the valve.

11. Leave the iolite to stand for at least 5 minutes (always do this after refuelling).

12. Turn the iolite on. Don't try to ignite it.

13. Leave it to run for about 15 minutes.

14. Repeat the above steps.

15. Press the igniter in a firm and sharp manner (you may need to do this up to 3 times for ignition to occur).

16. The red glow may not appear for a few seconds after ignition.

Below are some usage/refilling tips.

The following are tips for using the iolite:

1. Grind your herb relatively fine.

2. Loosely pack the bowl to 3 quarters full, if you pack it too tight this will impede the function of the iolite as there will be less air flow and the heat will not circulate as well.

3. Turn the iolite on and wait for the initial cycle to complete, around 45 seconds to a minute, the red light will disappear.

4. You may now inhale from the iolite, if you want a larger initial hit then leave the iolite to cook the herb for a further minute or 2.

5. To inhale properly; This is not like a cigarette, the vapour must be drawn directly into the lungs, also sucking hard and quick on the mouthpiece will not work correctly, a gentle approach is required to gain the best from the iolite. Take a long, slow, gentle inhale straight into the lung, try not to suck in any air apart from through the mouthpiece, then hold it for a comfortable period of time, exhale and draw on the iolite again until the herb is depleted.

6. The herb is depleted when it turns to a toasty brown colour throughout, some people also say it tastes like burnt popcorn. This is a case of gaining experience and over time you will be able to judge correctly when the herb is depleted.

To refill the iolite with fuel properly:

1. Hold the iolite in one hand with the gas valve at the top.

2. With your other hand hold the butane can upside down.

3. Position the butane can at an angle and offer it to the filling valve then move the can perpendicular to the filling valve ensuring a good seal.

4. Press down gently but firmly (excessive spray back is a sign that either the butane can has not created a proper seal or the gas tank may already be full).

5. When the iolite is full, there will be visible spray back of fuel from the valve.

6. Leave the iolite to stand for at least 5 minutes (always do this after refuelling).

7. Turn the iolite on, the switch should be at 1.

8. Press the igniter in a firm and sharp manner (you may need to do this up to 3 times for ignition to occur).

9. The red glow may not appear for a few seconds after ignition.

If the above does not work for you, please send your iolite to us for replacement.

KuMaK,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
5. Please do not use a nearly empty can of butane fuel as this may cause problems with the functioning of the iolite.
Thanks for posting that!! I had personally come to the conclusion that 'end of can's' are not good even with the good stuff like Colibri. My Iolites seem to act up at the end of the can and we batted this theory around back in this thread. Good to know the official updated instructions!! Thanks!!

Lo,

KuMaK

No problem !

Small update, I did what they say and BOOM it worked.

... for one bowl.

Gas seemed to run out of it quick too. I refilled waited 5 mins and turn it on. Normal noise a little quieter than normal then nothing. When I put it to my ear I could hear a slight clicking noise coming from inside sounded like the jet for the butane is screwed. I also cleaned the heat pin and it seemed to kick back in a bit.

My last thought now is the heat pin was dirty and had fooled the temp control into thinking it was hot already, although Im not sure if the butane would still flow but not ignite if that was the case.

Anyway a few more hours of pricking around with it and itll be going home for its holidays tomorrow if I dont get it working.

Now if I could only choose between the Extreme, DBV or Herbalaire !!!

KuMaK,

Ancient

travis said:
Good to know. I lost my patience and ordered at set of 3 a few days before O&B got back to me, so I should probably have plenty.

@kumak:
I have a similar problem sometimes when I don't fill it right.

Try emptying it upside-down using the poke/jab technique (where you keep pressing the nozzle but don't keep holding it down). Then, fill with butane until the noise changes and a little butane squirts out.

Just being patient while filling and filling it again if I fuck up have seemed to work for me. Hope you figure it out man :)

Ancient,

Shazbuckle

KuMaK said:
This could be my problem, the stuff is hard to come by in Ireland and it's also quite expensive (12 euro or something for 500ml
Yay Im in Dublin ! Let me know how you get on and where you found the cleaner if you wouldn't mind ? Also what butane do you use and where did you find it? Finally have you any other vaporisers ? Did you buy them in Ireland? Price Location etc? Appreciate it!
:D
hey man! sorry it took so long to reply I always forget to check back.

Yea, it was preety handy living in the country it was made. I actually drove down to Carlow and picked it up myself in person from Oglesby and Butler. I usually use Newport butane, you can get it in most texaco petrol stations, but it's over the counter. Only costs 2 euro or something.

I'm thinking about just buying a bong cleaner in a headshop(either Headcandy in Dun Laoghaire or Nirvana in town..can't remember the street name) to clean it, as that iso is just too expensive for me

This summer I'm going to invest in a vapor bros or a V-tower, I haven't made up my mind. And I plan to order online purely because I don't think Irish headshops are great for that sort of thing.

pm me if you want and we can talk dublin vapes ;)

Shazbuckle,

freeman dyson

i sent my ireland back to ireland for repair about a week ago. it also had a hard time getting the gas going and a while to ignite. I tried everything suggested and then sent it to them.

freeman dyson,

albe

the second of my mouthpieces have cracked, Vaporstore was good about it... sending out some plastic replacements and have put the manufacturers in touch to send the metal threaded ones.

not great timing as i was planning to give it its first concert outing tonite... yeah yeah yeahs playing sydney australia. Might see if i can keep the old one working as i managed to salvage the thread. If i'm gentle getting it back in it might work for one more night!

albe,

sundaddy

Can anyone tell me how the warranty would work if I sell my Iolite. I still have 18 months on the warranty, but I would like to know if it's transferable.

sundaddy,

sundaddy

Also, does anyone know the procedure to get repairs done once the warranty has expired?

sundaddy,

max

Out to lunch
Like most warranties, it's not transferable if you sell the unit to someone else. The best you can do is to tell the new owner he can return it to you for warranty repair, assuming you're willing to do that. You have to contact O&B for repair. They'll tell you where you have to send it for service.
http://www.my-iolite.com/downloads/warrantycard.pdf

max,

VaporAssassin

Dallas said:
Myself and a friend picked up 2 of these this weekend. (we got a pretty good deal, $200 tax included each) We were staying with a lot of people over the weekend so we didn't really get a chance to try it until the 6 hour drive home. We each loaded .5 bowls and proceeded to get baked out of our skulls. Very impressive little unit. I had not felt a high like that since using my friends volcano months ago.

Needless to say switching from multiple blunts a day to vaping with the Iolite has made a world of difference in how my throat/chest feels.
where did you get your two io's from seems like a good price?
It would be good to hear from the io guys again.

VaporAssassin,

CalBears24

Anybody know where to get cheap replacement screens for the top of the herb chamber (the metal thing w/ holes + screen)? Smoke shops, or online?

CalBears24,

Lt.shineysides

I swear i saw a case somewhere like a magazine or something that had a protective carry case that you could use the iolite in, but I cant find it again does anyone know what im talking about?

Lt.shineysides,

Derf

Lt.shineysides said:
I swear i saw a case somewhere like a magazine or something that had a protective carry case that you could use the iolite in, but I cant find it again does anyone know what im talking about?
The black case came with the iolite. Did you buy yours used? Maybe you can get one direct from the manufacturer.

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
I have a question for anybody that can help: I've been using my iolite for about a month now, I love it! It is my go-to vape, almost exclusively. I previously used a purple days, and before than an Eterra. The Eterra and Purple Days were easy to pack bowls: I would just grind up my herb, drop it into a film cannister (for storage), and then push the little plastic straw into the film cannister and herb would load/pack itself into the end of straw. EASY!!

The Iolite seems a little more troublesome. Because the bowl is bigger, herb doesn't want to just go up in there and stay - it falls out again. I've resorted to dumping the ground up herb onto a piece of paper folded in half and then shaking it down the crease into the bowl of the Iolite. This gets a little crazy when you're out and about, on a boat, in a car, sneaking into a bathroom, or just generally short on spare pieces of paper. Can anyone else share some loading/packing recommendations please!!??

Derf,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
I use the straw method, sucking up the herb into the chamber. Works like a charm for me. Good luck!

Lo,

AlbertH

I noticed that my Iolite performed much better after I started using a finer ground bud, but I'm getting a bit paranoid thatit's a littlee too well ground. My inhale method is to sort of breathe through the device and I'm worried that fine particles may be getting into my lungs. Anyone else think like this and have a solution, or am I just being completely paranoid?

AlbertH,

Derf

I don't think I'm a fan of the suction loading method. :/ My lungs are not meant to act like a vacuum cleaner like Mrs Conehead. I'm not too nervous about inhaling something because my herb isn't ground up like crushed pepper, its out of a grinder and is like rough saw dust. I believe that how dry your herb is affects how fine you can grind it, and mine is never like crypt dust. Still, I don't like this hoover action much. Maybe I'll get used to it, I dunno.

As to the user who wanted to know about "stands" for the Iolite ( I think that was you, LO, on page 77)... This is what I've fashioned to hold mine up. Note that you don't need a stand, and I actually made this to hold my iphone at an angle while watching videos... but it works for the iolite as well. Take a large Binder Clip, take out the metal prongs one one side, cut down the metal ends so it isn't as long, and re-bend the metal to the same shape to fit back into the black spring clip part.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2685/4282302831_fe0b6aa889_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/4282312767_d74904f79d_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4018/4282314851_ca99ba678e_b.jpg

Derf,

Ancient

I tried the straw method once and failed miserably, so my trick is a tic-tac container. I put the ground herb in the container and just open the flip top and tap it right in to the bowl. For me it works well and is really convenient too.

Ancient,

StickyShisha2

CalBears24 said:
Anybody know where to get cheap replacement screens for the top of the herb chamber (the metal thing w/ holes + screen)? Smoke shops, or online?
no, but i figured out a way to make a regular steel screen work for me.

StickyShisha2,

Derf

Ancient said:
I tried the straw method once and failed miserably, so my trick is a tic-tac container. I put the ground herb in the container and just open the flip top and tap it right in to the bowl. For me it works well and is really convenient too.
That sounds really nifty and great! Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna pick up some tic-tacs next time I'm at the store and try this... it could be just the type of ingenuity I'm looking for! We'll see how well freshly ground herb shakes out into the bowl. I have a little hesitation on if it will spill when "pouring" it in, so we'll see.

Man do I miss the tamping method in the film cannister.

Derf,
Top Bottom