macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Here is a picture of my chamber. Not much to see, but it is a compression sleeve (about five dimes deep) with a screen pushed into the sleeve, all held in with a retaining ring. Works for me. Pin does contact screen. Can't say if its worth the trouble, but I get good draw, and its easy to keep clean.

MyChamber.jpg

macbill,

rayski

willieR said:
I noticed that the new 7 hole deals are thinner for Iolite than for the older i-inhale. Interesting, since everyone is adding spacer rings to add some space there. New mouthpiece pulls harder, I noticed.
I just got a new mouthpiece/chamber for my II, and was surprised to see how different the screen assembly is. The old stile can be reversed; and that increases the head space by at least the width of a couple of retaining rings. I did that, added the screen-with-hole and was able to insert the chamber without infringing the pin.

Haven't tried it that way yet, but eager to experiment!

rayski,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I have to say I have the new chamber and new mouthpiece on the old i-inhale with the screen around the pin and I'm just gagging on big vape hits. Wow.

I've been reading the various mods and I just don't see the need. But that's me.

Also, when I first got the unit... little smoke. Now big smoke. I think the temp setting went up on mine. I wish it was adjustable. In my actual opinion, you don't need to see clouds as a sign you're getting THC. Look at all the posts of people exhaling nothing and getting stoned anyway. That's more the way it used to be for me and my i-inhale. It just struck me the clouds were never this big previously.

willieR,

NoSmoke

I don't know if the metal acts as a heatsink or not, but I do like having a smaller space, I didn't like having a .5 bowl to fill up, it just didn't seem to work as efficient with smaller amounts in that big bowl (maybe the ;pd; has spoiled me :) ), so I made the bowl smaller I just wish I could find a nice compression sleeve.

NoSmoke,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I found compression sleeves at Home Depot, but anyplace that sells plumbing supplies would have them. Its a standard size: 3/8". I prefer the smaller bowl size and good draw.

macbill,

NoSmoke

macbill said:
I found compression sleeves at Home Depot, but anyplace that sells plumbing supplies would have them. Its a standard size: 3/8". I prefer the smaller bowl size and good draw.
Thanks! :tup: I'm gonna have to hit up the Minnesota version of Home Depot, Menards!

NoSmoke,

Yenen

My ..experience

First off, the unit itself is great. I love the way it hits and portability... but two words have tainted by IoLite experience a bit... "Quality Control".
I just melted my third mouthpiece in a row lol... today is the 8th, bought my unit on the 3rd... the first mouthpiece melted after the second use.. brought the unit back to the shop and left it overnight. A local IoLite rep came the next day and said it was a defective batch of mouthpieces, gave me a new mouthpiece, and also replaced my unit just in case (that was cool of them...)
Well, that mouthpiece lasted two days. Next melt... went in and just ended up purchasing another mouthpiece from the shop out of another IoLite box... Today was the latest meltdown... the unit was on for maybe three minutes for the first time of the day... go to inhale and ...droop... my local shop is out of replacements, so that constituted an email to the manuf.
This isn't a buyers beware or anything by any means as the unit itself works wonderfully and I seem to be in sort of an isolated case.. somehow getting 3/100 or so of the bad mouthpieces they say are out there lol.
So for now I'll sit here vaping with my 2-piece IoLite and burning crap outta my hand in the proccess heh..
on the good side of things, the mod pages back which puts the replacement ring beneath the screen with second holding screen down made a big difference for me and got a lot more visible smoke like I'm used to... turning the screen upside-down, as suggested with the holes up does make the unit a bit of a pain to clean out every time, but it's been a big enough difference that it's a easy trade-off.
I'll keep posted with how my first customer experience goes with the manuf. direct... them being open 1am-9:30am my time makes me a bit weary, but all the useful feedback on the issue in this 47 page post has made me confident they'll help me out.

We'll see! :ko:

Yenen,

highendvapes

Manufacturer
Yenen said:
This isn't a buyers beware or anything by any means as the unit itself works wonderfully and I seem to be in sort of an isolated case.. somehow getting 3/100 or so of the bad mouthpieces they say are out there lol.

all the useful feedback on the issue in this 47 page post has made me confident they'll help me out.
You are not an isolated incident, I've been told somewhere in the neighborhood of tens of thousands worldwide. I've received replacements direct from Ireland, and they are still melting. I've gone thru 4 this weekend. They channged the manufacturing process and this has resulted in poor quality mouthpieces. If you can find one of the original mouthpieces that are turned, not moulded you'll be fine.
The moulded ones have an X at the base of the threads where as the turned are smooth at the base. Good Luck. :2c:

highendvapes,

I-AM-KEVBONE

I've used my i-olite a handful of times now since i got it yesterday and the 2 things i'm still questionable about how much to load. I don't have a scale anywhere near me so i go back judgement. For the most part i've packed my vape just enough to cover the bottom screen. That's been doing the job for me and i'm getting a good 7-10 hits out of it..probably more but sometimes i don't see smoke. should i be packed A LITTLE more in?? secondly, i heard you don't even need the bottom screen in the vape..will that increase the capacity??

I-AM-KEVBONE,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
macbill said:
On another front, I've investigated where to get an adapter from the metric to standard 1/8" female - the next time I'm in Kennewick, WA (the closest dealer) I'll check them out in person.
Progress pointed out a post from the Iolite folks in the Beta thread (now closed) claimed:

"As regards a metal mouthpiece this is impossible at the moment because an all-metal mouthpiece screwed into the herb chamber would drastically increase the heat on the lips when drawing upon the vapouriser. We can make the extended section of the mouthpiece in aluminium but this would double the cost of manufacture with a result of increasing the retail price of the mouthpieces."

This would be true if you put your lips onto a metal stem. However, I use a small silicone tube piece I cut off the tube I purchased for the Magic Flight Launch Box. I only use one plastic section of stem: I think having only one segment may be less stressful to the stem, and thus be harder to break off in the housing (not counting bad stems).

Iolite.jpg

The rubber band keeps the chamber on more securely.

macbill,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
For those that want a visual aid on what I did to my chamber, here's a photo. I took an oversized screen and pushed it into a compression sleeve. I trimmed the screen. and placed the 5 dime deep compression sleeve and screen into the chamber, and secured it with the ring.

chamberparts.jpg

macbill,

Yenen

So here's an update already.. got an email from IoLite saying they are shipping me two new mouthpieces, which they seem much more confident than myself that these two will not melt/break... They gave me a bit of info on the breakage, which I'm sure you all already know, but I'll pass along the information...

"This is a known defect with a bad batch of mouthpieces that were erroneously released from the factory, the problem issue has been solved and we do not anticipate any more problems regarding breakage.

The stem was changed from a turned design to a moulded design to increase its strength, as moulded parts are inherently stronger than their turned counterparts. Unfortunately the company that made our mould tool and ran off the first batch of mouthpieces made a mistake in both the face of the tool and the moulding process. We were not informed of this and the parts passed our internal QA as they did not break with a stress test. After investigation it came to light that not only was there a fault with the mould tool but because of the way they had been moulded and cooled, the plastic of the components had changed on a molecular level, making them prone to degradation over a short period of time due to contact with heat. All these issues are now resolved and the mouthpieces are performing as expected. For reference, the mouthpieces are made from Ultem 1000, which is an FDA food contact approved plastic made by General Electric in the US. It is both tough and has excellent thermo resistant properties and has also been used in both the ISS, the motor industry and the health sector."

So far I have had a good experience with their customer service, but we'll see what happens.. I also followed a couple reccomendations above and ordered the old turned mouthpieces off of ebay (well they say they're turned... [no x at the bottom of threads like on mine]. It's always nice to pay more for shipping to get these things overnighted than you do for the item itself lol) so this'll be 3melted+2replaced+3ebayed = 8 mouthpieces for one device haha.
I'll repeat I'm still happy with the portability and quality of the device itself... the stem issue is really a pain, but it's still the most convenient vape I've owned without sacrificing any quality of what really matters in the end.. the hit.
I get good clouds if I wait a couple cycles in between hits... I don't see too much effect in preheating the bowl before I load the chamber... I just load it, turn it on, and once the first heating cycle turns off you can smell "the niceness". I take that flavor hit and let it sit a couple minutes. The 2-ring w/ normal screen mod is a must..
You just have to get used to using this vape. When I first bought it, I was used to putting a vapir on medium, sticking a tube down my throat, and hacking up a lung.. this isn't what you're going to get with this vape.. if you like visible smoke instead of just clear vapor, let it sit.. there's no air flowing through the chamber to decrease any amount of thc / canniboid you'll get from the hit.. I am not exactly the patient type so I'll sit 2 maybe 3 cycles (please don't ask how much time that is as if I'm waiting for cycles, I'm already baked..)
We'll see if I get 1 good mouthpiece out of the 8

Yenen,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Great ideas, macbill! The tubing looks like it could potentially solve a lot of issues, will have to try that. What size are you using?

Yenen, thanks for posting that info. Hope that's the end of it. :\

vtac,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
interesting article in Wikipedia about Ultem 1000 ...

Ultem has high mechanical properties and performs in continuous use to 340F
that seems like a pretty low temp for a vaporizer application to me ... anybody else worried about that?

which is an FDA food contact approved plastic
i doubt "food contact approved" includes a heat range this high. i've read some Johns Hopkins Public Health info where they get real pissy about using plastic when cooking food.

Hippie Dickie,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
vtac said:
Great ideas, macbill! The tubing looks like it could potentially solve a lot of issues, will have to try that. What size are you using?\
I don't know the size: I bought this length of tubing off of the Blissville site that sells Magic Flight Launch Boxes. It is an accessary item for the Box. I don't use the Box that way, so I am using the tubing elsewhere. The bendiness of the silicone make it perfect for this application.

macbill,

willieR

Been here since 2009
the majority of THC volatilizes at 365F. The old i-inhale was supposed to be set for 375F +-5F. So it would seem that if you let the unit heat sufficiently, the odds of that plastic stem reaching at least 340F is pretty good.

This is sad.

willieR,

reece

Before we go jumping to conclusions consider the only source of this information is Wikipedia. Not exactly reliable, especially when there are no sources cited in the article.

reece,

willieR

Been here since 2009
reece said:
Before we go jumping to conclusions consider the only source of this information is Wikipedia. Not exactly reliable, especially when there are no sources cited in the article.
You are absolutely right, man. This is the problem with Wikipedia

willieR,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Got some new mouthpieces that arrived today from Ireland... I'm kinda scared to try one... Hate that burnt plastic smell... They do have the X on the base so I'm kinda worried :( I just ordered some from vapenow the other day that are old stock thankfully!!

Anybody get some new style with X's that DON'T MELT??? I assume that some with X's must be the new, improved moulded type.

Lo,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
reece said:
Hennessy1414 said:
still worth investigating...:hmm:
Most definitely.

Does anyone understand the information kalinga posted?
yeah, it's just basic material characteristics. plastic is complex stuff. (that's why i like borosilicate glass)

Hippie Dickie,
Top Bottom