I-AM-KEVBONE

So i got the i-olite in the other week and i've been using it primarily to smoke mary j and i don't really know how much i should be putting in the loading area. Also, after ive been hitting it for awhile, the high i feel isn't as strong as smoking a bowl and it doesn't last as long..is that normal as well??

I-AM-KEVBONE,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
I used a Dremmel to grind a larger hole in white inner plastic washer. It turns out, white washer has an inner slot around it in which black body intrudes. On subsequent chambers I ground out completely the white washer.

Now I can go straight from chamber to silicone tube.
Dremmel_2.jpg

Dremmel1.jpg

For me, problem solved.
3Chambers.jpg

macbill,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
where did you get the silicone tube? What diameter was it? Have you had any tube melting issues?

oddjobold,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Macbill!!! Looks like you have this problem solved! So I KNOW what a dremmel tool is... LOL My husband probably has one!

Curious to see if the silicone is fine with the heat... Thanks for sharing :peace:

Lo,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Wow Macbill. That's quite the modification! Good for you. If you had found a small piece of aluminum or brass threaded pipe that would have replaced the small plastic component, I assume that would have been preferred?

willieR,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Nothing has melted yet. It might be prudent to wrap a bit of cloth tape around the the aluminum stub of the stem to off-set metal-on-plastic.

Tubing
=====
I don't know what size it is: it is product I purchased off of Blissville for my Magic Flight Launch Box. They claim it is high-grade silicone from VaporBrothers and it is a Trademarked product, for whatever that is worth. I have lightly searched for product specs, but I have been unsuccessful. I just ordered some back-up tubing Just in in case. It's still cheaper and more convenient to replace the silicone tubing than the rigid plastic stems.

macbill,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
willieR said:
If you had found a small piece of aluminum or brass threaded pipe that would have replaced the small plastic component, I assume that would have been preferred?
Of course. That would have been preferred, at least, for me. Then I wouldn't have had to grind the white washer away.

Still, since I'm a Bozo, I might have blown it. But replacement parts are just an order away.

macbill,

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
you can get thin wall tubing from hobby shops/websites.

usplastics.com has plastic-ish tubing in all the popular food flavors.

Hippie Dickie,

max

Out to lunch
You can pretty much load as much as you want, but I wouldn't pack it slam full.

the high i feel isn't as strong as smoking a bowl
While you do miss out on a few high temp compounds (mostly sedative effect), you also don't get much in the way of toxic compounds like carbon monoxide, benzene, hydrogen cyanide. They also have a heavy sedative effect. If couchlock is a priority for you, you may want to just smoke. Most people vape because it's cleaner/healthier and stretches the herb supply. The high is a little different, but most who give vapor a good try seem to prefer it. I'm quite happy with the effect that vapor provides.

max,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I'm sure the iolite people are working on something. No way they want the current bad press to continue. This is all helpful to them however, I'm sure. Power of the internet to improve products.

willieR,

oddjobold

Vape swap shop
Just to let you know. Sent a mail - to iolite. Told them about the broken stems. There going to send me a pack of new mouthpieces.

Also mentioned how both my herb chambers are very lose in the machine. Unusable without a elastic band. They said there is nothing they can do about that and recommended i continue using elastic bands for the time being.

Still love my vap. Going to give the silcone ago aswell. Thanks mcbill - great idea. Ill let you know how i get on.

oddjobold,

willieR

Been here since 2009
oddjobold,, good luck. We've all melted plenty of the old and the new mouthpieces. I have just learned to remove the melted stem piece quickly while the unit is still hot.

willieR,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
oddjobold said:
continue using elastic bands for the time being.
Yes, I always use rubber bands, too, as I'm too absent-minded to handle it as it was envisioned. I'll grab the stem to lift the unit up, which sprinkles me with pixie dust if not fastened to the body itself.

macbill,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Right on MacB. I've done it plenty. They realize this is an issue, so I would think the gen II iolites will look to address these things.

willieR,

tradhead

Thing is, when you smoke the stuff you are not actually getting anything from the burning THC the heat vaporises the active chemical to give you the hit. Its actually a very inefficient way of vaporising.
I would say though from my experience with a PD, VGi olite ,vapir 1 and DB, that the iolite is the lowest temp of the lot. The PD gives a much better/ hotter vape ,the other are temp variable. Also there are reports in the iolite thread of possible inaccurate thermostat control with the iolite, so perhaps your does not reach optimum temp. I would leave the thing heating up a while befor using and see if that has a better effect.

tradhead,

tradhead

willieR said:
Trad, did you discover anything while it was open?
I discoverd a discoloured tube on the side of the gas chamber, perhaps there was some obstruction from dirty gas? Iolite wanted me to pay for its repair even though it was 3 months old. No way was I throwing good money after bad!' I also discovered the sealing wax/plastic to show if the unit had been opened. Its very simple in their nothing that a user could damage, but a user could clean the tube and fix the device.

willieR said:
Why did it cost iolite 5 times that?
I was recommending, nay raving about them to my friends, I planed on having a second for myself as I have 2 homes in 2 countries and would prefer not to travel with a used vape. I also planed on getting one for my teens who seem to have started ';experimenting' with their friends. besides that ,I made a special effort to warn other off the gadgets, and a few wise heads probably decided to wait a bit longer before going with the crowd. its all cool till it dont work and your 1000 miles from a replacement.
I was an early adopter, as normal, It lasted 3 months then it died. The stems broke, I was the first here to report that, at the time others replied that it hadnt happened to them blah blah . now look at the thread.... surprise surprise. they also seem to die with regularity, iolite replace them now, but they used an excuse not to replace mine. So be warned.

Whats with all the mods? trying to make it work better?

tradhead,

reece

tradhead said:
I discoverd a discoloured tube on the side of the gas chamber, perhaps there was some obstruction from dirty gas? Iolite wanted me to pay for its repair even though it was 3 months old.

but they used an excuse not to replace mine. So be warned.
Did they refuse to fix yours before you voided the warranty? If so, what was their reason??

reece,

shotgunwilly

evening everyone... a little off topic, just wanted to note that if you dont want to pack a bigger bowl, (a few people had complained that they wanted smaller bowls and were trying to make it work,) i found that you can pack a small one in the bottom of the unit, (where the pin is...) if you remove the bottom screen, the herb fits there nicely and it heats the crap out of it...lots of vapor....works great.... and seems to hit a little easier, you just have to brush it out with a pin or something like that cuz the herb gets stuck around the bottom of the pin... also, went to home depot to look at their various brass/copper bits and pieces and nothing there was small enough... the smallest size was 1/8 inside dimension... too big for our needs... i didnt have the stem with me, (was there for something else) so i couldnt get the exact dimension of the thread size.... oh, and great pics macbill....

shotgunwilly,

ChuckRock

Well i finally got the broken stem piece from the bowl they sent me.
I damaged the thread slightly as this thing was welded in there.
I think from all the friction of turning it had made it worse.

Cleaned it up, Popped in a new stem they sent me.
Guess what?
Stem snapped at the same point. Yes the new stems they are sending out are indeed faulty.

By this point im soo pissed off, cause now i know for sure this company are selling defective goods and are FULLY AWARE OF IT.
I have no faith in Ogelsby & Bulters Customer service anymore.
Its pointless even contacting them as they will send me more faulty goods.
DO not order from the website as its overpriced and the stems are faulty.

This morning i got my new bowl from warehouse goods. The stem on it looks like the new ones with the X on the base.I can only hope it holds up, but i doubt it.

They need to sort out this stem issue, quickly.
Thanks Macbill , Im very intrested in the mods mentioned here, but i dont want to take a dremmel to the top piece.
I like the idea of a metal piece that attaches to the thread, if you find one ShotgunWilly, please keep us posted

ohh btw, i was able to get the broken plastic piece of out the bowl within seconds this time.
AS it was still very warm and just screwed out :-)
Bonus!

ChuckRock,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Sorry to hear this Chuck, but that was expected for sure. The trick is to get it out while warm. If it breaks and cools, I have re-warmed and then removed successfully.

A small threaded metal section would allow us to eliminate the stress on warmed plastic. Also no modifications of the unit. I'm looking at having the piece fabricated in a metal shop

willieR,

ChuckRock

Hey willieR,
Yeah thats how i ended getting the previous one out too.
Just by letting it go through some heat cycles, it softend it enough.

If you get something fabricated please let us know the details.
I can see myself going down this route too.
Thanks

ChuckRock,

shotgunwilly

my pleasure willieR, i hope some of those ideas work for you... chuck, that so blows! i had read somewhere that the first batch of new replacement stems were manufactured incorrectly and they didnt catch it until after sending out a bunch... whether that is true or not, has yet to be seen... i bought mine aftermarket on ebay cuz i didnt want to wait for the company to send replacements and havent had any problems with them at all... it ran me around $15+/- (i mean it sucks that i had to get them at all, but, it is what it is...):rolleyes:

shotgunwilly,
Top Bottom