zorn

Hello community!

Beause second hand IOs can be really cheap on the internet, i decided to buy one for about 35€ (40$).... really good condition, and i am really pleased.... 1-2 Hits out of it and i had enough!

But when i turn it off (1 to 0), it starts hissing 1-2-3 times again, which is really annoing.

I guess this is the butane, which remains in the tubes in the inside.... The switch is -as i can see on pictures- directly after the butane tank, so some gas remains in the system.

Is there a solution for this problem? If someone asks me "Do you hear this hissing?" i want to switch off the unit immediatly to stay stealth as possible again..... And as i told before, 1 hit was enough for me, wo why bake the weed longer as needed?

Is there a Mod or a trick for this?

Thanks,

greetings from Austria!

zorn,

h3rbalist

I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too
Hello community!

Beause second hand IOs can be really cheap on the internet, i decided to buy one for about 35€ (40$).... really good condition, and i am really pleased.... 1-2 Hits out of it and i had enough!

But when i turn it off (1 to 0), it starts hissing 1-2-3 times again, which is really annoing.

I guess this is the butane, which remains in the tubes in the inside.... The switch is -as i can see on pictures- directly after the butane tank, so some gas remains in the system.

Is there a solution for this problem? If someone asks me "Do you hear this hissing?" i want to switch off the unit immediatly to stay stealth as possible again..... And as i told before, 1 hit was enough for me, wo why bake the weed longer as needed?

Is there a Mod or a trick for this?

Thanks,

greetings from Austria!
No. Its how its supposed to work.

If you only taking a couple of hits just switch off as soon as its up to temp.

zorn

No. Its how its supposed to work.

If you only taking a couple of hits just switch off as soon as its up to temp.

Thanks for the answer!

I know this is normal, but as i said, quite annoing.

The Wispr stops heating immediatly after switching it of, and such feature would be useful with the IOlite... Would be way more stealthier!

Anyone has an idea for a mod?

(Yes, i know: An electric Vapo would be the easiest way for me to go, but i felt in love with the IO.)

zorn,
Reactions: OF

zorn

After the switch is shut off, Iolite must "cycle" two more times.

Like @h3rbalist I shut the unit down a few hits before I am ready to stop.

Is it necessary to start 1-2 heat cycles after shutting off?
Wispr does not heat again, so i guess its not... But i have not opened an wispr or looked on the internal system of them...

I want the IO to stop heating and hissing exactly then, when i switch it off...
Then i could do some hits more til the herb chamber is cooled down again.... and no one would ask me about repeating hissing out of my jacket ^^

Vitolo

Vaporist
Then the Wispr is the tool for you.
We can not alter the way the Iolite is designed.
PS...
after a time the hissing wont disturb you, in fact you may stop noticing it... I know I did.
I use the Iolite more than the Wispr, but if no cycling after shutdown is important, the Wispr is great!

Good mornin/evening/nite everyone.
I apologize if this question its already a solver and boring issue but its really annoying me to the point i'm hesitating about the quality and keeping my IOLITE V1. heres the situation.
I've been using it 6 mounths or so. Always worked but made me mad in a few ocassions(worked at the 1000th time i pressed the turn button). ATM its not working, bled the tank already, cleaned it, filled it with -not the best-butane but the problem carried on. Its basically failing at the orange spark moment, it just shows the blue spark (lightly,not always) a few times but never gets to the orange. any help or link that might save me? Thanks and again, sry if it isnt the proper place or it has already been solved (not to mention the awful english, not my mother language). success to all of u.

tikulimanli,

KidFated.

Unknown Member
Good mornin/evening/nite everyone.
I apologize if this question its already a solver and boring issue but its really annoying me to the point i'm hesitating about the quality and keeping my IOLITE V1. heres the situation.
I've been using it 6 mounths or so. Always worked but made me mad in a few ocassions(worked at the 1000th time i pressed the turn button). ATM its not working, bled the tank already, cleaned it, filled it with -not the best-butane but the problem carried on. Its basically failing at the orange spark moment, it just shows the blue spark (lightly,not always) a few times but never gets to the orange. any help or link that might save me? Thanks and again, sry if it isnt the proper place or it has already been solved (not to mention the awful english, not my mother language). success to all of u.
Sounds like a clogged fuel line if it still sparks.. Warranty any good?

KidFated.,
No warrant, might be that clogged issue. I must admit i always used the cheapest butane (an "OFICIAL" woman here in Arg who sells em assures it doesnt cause any inconvenient, tho her word is losing credibility day by day) how can I fix it if that's the issue? Cause i'm bout to do the bbq lighter thing (need a step by step tutorial). thanks for your answer and time.

tikulimanli,

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
1st thing is to really be sure it's not a gas problem. You need at least triple filtered or I have used what they term, "zero impurities" which seems OK. First purge by draining ALL the gas out holding valve downwards. Put some good gas in and repeat the purge. Then try again.
Determined it's the ignitor...
If you are confident enough and find a replacement ignitor, you can always check out this post I did some time back. The ignitors are pretty much interchangable with 90% electric lighters. Including the dollar store ones.
Good Luck.

Pipes,

OF

Dissolved contaminants in the fuel can be a serious problem. When the butane 'flashes' from liquid to gas (generally right at the tiny orifice) since it can't carry them as a gas it deposits the contamination at that point. Over time it builds up and can easily lead to flow/mixture problems.

Like hard water deposits choking off a pipe.

Sometimes draining the tank normally (but not lighting it) eventually gets liquid butane making it through the port without flashing (lower temperature locally from earlier evaporation) which can wash the junk out again. I'd try a tankful or two simply venting itself away in some safe place.

Good luck. Cheap fuel can lead you to have to replace your Iolite sooner.

OF

1st thing is to really be sure it's not a gas problem. You need at least triple filtered or I have used what they term, "zero impurities" which seems OK. First purge by draining ALL the gas out holding valve downwards. Put some good gas in and repeat the purge. Then try again.
Determined it's the ignitor...
If you are confident enough and find a replacement ignitor, you can always check out this post I did some time back. The ignitors are pretty much interchangable with 90% electric lighters. Including the dollar store ones.
Good Luck.
Once again, thank you for your time. Sincerely its quite hard to get a refined gas round here. I'm gonna try to do it before doing the ignitor thing. Anyone interested in shipping a refined gas (obviously all taxes included on me)? hehe. have a good day.

OF, k now I'm seriously suspicious bout the gas. It could be that due to my poor experience charging i've might had done some damage thats bothering me right now. thank you for your answer.

tikulimanli,

OF

Once again, thank you for your time. Sincerely its quite hard to get a refined gas round here. I'm gonna try to do it before doing the ignitor thing. Anyone interested in shipping a refined gas (obviously all taxes included on me)? hehe. have a good day.

I don't know where 'there' is, but if you have them try premium cigar stores. Guys with the big bucks stogies don't mess around with cheap gas......

OF

OF,
Reactions: Pipes
I don't know where 'there' is, but if you have them try premium cigar stores. Guys with the big bucks stogies don't mess around with cheap gas......

OF
argentina. didn't think bout it and its really acurate. if I fix it i owe it completely to all of you. So right now you guys suggest to bleed the tank, fill it with GOOD butane and see how it goes ? Ill keep updating the process. success to all of u

OF

argentina. didn't think bout it and its really acurate. if I fix it i owe it completely to all of you. So right now you guys suggest to bleed the tank, fill it with GOOD butane and see how it goes ? Ill keep updating the process. success to all of u

Cool. I bet there's high end cigar shops in big cities? They will import top quality butane since their customers will insist.

Yes, but I suggest you try letting it vent out slowly through the metering port as well, hoping to get liquid butane to that point (perhaps standing it stem pointed up?) to redissolve and wash away the junk. Turn it on, don't light it, stand it on end inside and drink coffee......

Good luck with it. As I'm sure you agree, worth getting working well again?

OF

Jack Sprat

Look for butane with the 'near zero impurities' symbol on the can. It's probably on the back of the can. You might be able to find it at hypermarkets or kiosks. There are even inexpensive brands that meet the standard.

Vitolo

Vaporist
Colibri is sold in a large number of places, and is one of Iolite's recommended butanes.
Many Tobacco shops as well as Head shops have this one as their high end gas.
I buy Newport online. (the butane... not the cigarette)

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place

If your in Argentina you may want to order the butane online if you can, may make it expensive with customs and other taxes and you'll have to wait for it to ship and get to you but at least it's an easy way to find what your looking for.

(I picked up a case of Iolite brand butane off of e-bay here in the States for $42usd where one can of newport or colibri at the local smokeshop is $18usd + tax)

Last edited:

OF

There's also the option of 'the poor man's purity test'. Spray some of the liquid butane onto a clean mirror (laying flat....) and let it evaporate off. Try for a small puddle, keep adding a bit more. Be sure to shake it up well, some things (like water) settle, you want to know that. Then, under good light, inspect for 'bathtub rings' (or other deposits) left behind. Most of them tend to be light in color (and therefore hard to spot) so change angles/lighting.

Needless to say, select the one that leaves the least junk behind. It can get pricey buying a can of every brand you can find, but when in Rome......(or make that Argentina....).

Good luck.

OF

Good evening everyone, bad news.. after travellin across the country looking for a nice gas, found the dunhill , which costed too much.. went back home, bleed the tank, let it reach the home temperature and once again, the iolite didnt answer. I consider its time to do the open up and get the gloves.. I'm going to buy the bbq lighter, so in theory whats failing is the igniter, correct? I only must change it and make sure it contacts properly? i'm really sorry to bother you with all these obvious questions but surrender against the vape its not my first choice.. success to all of u

tikulimanli,

OF

went back home, bleed the tank, let it reach the home temperature and once again, the iolite didnt answer. I consider its time to do the open up and get the gloves.. I'm going to buy the bbq lighter, so in theory whats failing is the igniter, correct?

Bummer. Again, I don't recommend bleeding the tank, but rather venting it through 'the burner'.

If you can hear gas coming out normally, then the igniter is in question. But I thought we'd confirmed no gas was coming out? If it doesn't come out, you can't light it. Opening it up has no advantage I can see.

And if the igniter clicks and you can see the blue spark the igniter part is OK (but the electrode could be in the wrong place (one of mine was, moving the electrode fixed it).

IIRC the screws are under the cover that runs down the face.

Good luck.

OF

OF,
pf.. OF I'm sincerely surprised bout your effectiveness and knowledge.. only registered in?on? (Once again I'm truly embarrased bout the proper english genocide.. its absolutely rusty..) the forum to get my iolite fix, but now I see there's a lot to learn..
Regarding the Iolite; gas runs like the beggining, smooth sound fading away while its running out of butane.. pretty normal to me.
However the igniter, always was kind of a puzzle.. sometimes it took forever or didnt even work, and sometimes 2 3 pushes and the orange ♥ was on. but maybe a week ago, the blue light took more and more in getting consistent (I think its we all agree about that the previous or " the sparks that have more chance in being the circle that turns into orange glow are "bigger" or " more powerful" however u want to call them than the weak blue SPARKS, shapeless and ephemeral ) Since saturday, it was weird if even that spark came on, almost 80% of the pushes went lightless.. what's your (all users) diagnosis? thanks a lot..

tikulimanli,

OF

the sparks that have more chance in being the circle that turns into orange glow are "bigger" or " more powerful" however u want to call them than the weak blue SPARKS, shapeless and ephemeral ) Since saturday, it was weird if even that spark came on, almost 80% of the pushes went lightless.. what's your (all users) diagnosis? thanks a lot..

I'd really suggest going by sound for clues. If the hiss of the gas sounds normal, it's most likely not fuel. If you get no hiss (gas flow) it's most likely contaminated fuel jamming the port. First step, does the gas sound right?

The igniter is piezo electric. A little spring loaded hammer hits a crystal and makes a high voltage spark without much energy really. Ignition is marginal. The 'fuel/air mixture' has to be right, within a narrow range or it gets harder (more demanding) on the spark. Again, a normal click almost certainly says the igniter is working, so the problem is likely poor placement of the electrode as I found. I just adjusted it for a shorter, hot spark that was consistent with no gas on. IIRC it only was a mm or two?

Start by listening, is the hiss normal or does it sputter.

Say you're not trying to run this at very low or high temperatures are you?

OF

OF,
I appreciate your time and predisposition.
The gas sounds completely normal to me, when its full its noisier than when its obviously going to run out of butane (as all of them I guess..)
I've recently convinced myself that its not temperature.. tried at home temperature, a little less than that ; warmer, did the same with the gas container. I don't think thats whats wrong.
Could you be a little more specific about how you adjusted it? I want it to work as good as possible, but I wouldn't like to finally break it while trying to improve it.. however I consider I will be able to follow a quick guide or so.. waiting for your answer OF. success.

tikulimanli,

OF

It's been a while since I did it, but it's pretty straightforward. The lead, insulated in tubing, comes out of the igniter and along a rib in the frame. The end with the electrode sticks into the burner section, the idea is to center the tip and adjust it for a hot spark. You can test it with the case open.

There's a photo of the inside way back in this thread. I bookmarked it on the old computer, but some of those didn't make it to the new one.

Does anyone know where that is?

OF

Edit: Here you go, not the one I was thinking of but thanks to good old Google this should work fine:
http://i.imgur.com/moKWXyo.jpg

The igniter is one, burner 2. You can see the electrode lead about half way up the burner on the left?

OF

Last edited:
OF,
Top Bottom