chucku

Charles Urbane
2Supra4U said:
chucku said:
Black,

You are out of gas, one fill is good for about two loads.

Dogs.

Are you out of your mind? Don't waste butane. Do not buy your butane at the local drug/convenience/variety/grocery store. Do get your butane at a cigar shop (that specializes in hand rolled cigars). Will they carry Colibri? Probably but Colibri is overpriced and only comes in small cans. Cigar shops almost always carry other brands as good as or better than Colibri in large cans costing much less per oz. Remember a cigar or pipe smoker will not fill their $500.00 lighter with crap butane.

He could be out of gas......black, you should make sure you see the "blue" first to make sure the gas is actually flowing properly. Ive seen it a few times where its switched on but for some reason it doesnt happpen...therefore no orange when you click it. but yes if you hear the hissing that usually means there is gass flowing........but i have read of ppls iolite not ignighting after many clicks, i think there are lots who experienced it........cold does affect it, ive heard that it should be warmed up before using if its been sitting in the cold (winter in a car for example).......for the non igniting thing I think there was someone here who took it apart and found there was something once cleaned it fired up nice again....

if you keep having issues with it...since you just got it maybe you should take it back....

I have no idea where your getting two loads out of a fill....you iolite must be on meth or something :lol: because I can leave mine on and it goes for at least an hour and a half....if not the 2hrs that they state it can do. A bowl is browned nice in usually 10-15 min....depending on your draws....so in my high calulations thats at least 9 loads at an hour and a half. Iv'e had mine for over a year now and its still going strong no issues at all. unless your spending 30+ minutes per bowl of coarse but to me thats overkill....

yes most shitty variety stores sell tiny cans of ronson and shit, but like I said it depends where you are, around here I can get the full size 300ml cans of colibri or vector or whatever many places and I dont have to travel all the way to a cigarshop to find those.....again maybe some people do...but around here we dont...and i get them for like 5 bucks.

bottom line dont use crap butane ever like chuck is saying.

Usually when I use mine I spark it up as I am pulling out of the garage. I take llloooonnngggg, sssllloooooowwww puffs until I reach my destination. So after 30 min or so I shut it down and put it in the glovebox. I sucks running out of gas. I'd rather not take a chance.

chucku,

Blackthoven

Shaolin Master
chucku said:
Usually when I use mine I spark it up as I am pulling out of the garage. I take llloooonnngggg, sssllloooooowwww puffs until I reach my destination. So after 30 min or so I shut it down and put it in the glovebox. I sucks running out of gas. I'd rather not take a chance.

Hehe, yeah it certainly does suck running out of gas. Now they just need to make tiny portable butane shot-like canisters :).

Blackthoven,

Blackthoven

Shaolin Master
So I've been having some difficulty with my Piezo button... It's quite the stubborn piece of work. I'm pretty sure I filled the gas chamber properly, even if it over filled I allowed 5-10 minutes as I heard that's what should be done in the case of an over-fill. I turn on the Iolite and the quiet hissing begins, but it just wont ignite after I press the piezo button (slowly, as it was recommended). I tried multiple times, and I can see some sort of spark occurring each time, is it really normal for it to be this inconsistent? Because I can't even use it.

Also, sometimes I'll turn on the Iolite and the gas will flow, but it eventually just stops very shortly after. I was only able to find some Ronson butane, I looked for some 4-5x refined butane such as Colibri but it was not available, so I had to get Ronson. I will certainly make sure to buy better butane next time, but I don't think that should really affect the fact it's not igniting

Edit: Nevermind! I just pressed it a couple more times and it fired up! ^.^

Blackthoven,

greystr0ke

JSullivan said:
While we're on it how about the comfort pack, the hose with mouthpiece, that bit worth fooling with at all?

It might just be personal preference but I cannot stand to use my iolite without the tube attached to the mouthpiece. Without it, the hits are so dry and harsh and irritate the hell out of my throat.

greystr0ke,

2Supra4U

chucku said:
2Supra4U said:
chucku said:
Black,

You are out of gas, one fill is good for about two loads.

Dogs.

Are you out of your mind? Don't waste butane. Do not buy your butane at the local drug/convenience/variety/grocery store. Do get your butane at a cigar shop (that specializes in hand rolled cigars). Will they carry Colibri? Probably but Colibri is overpriced and only comes in small cans. Cigar shops almost always carry other brands as good as or better than Colibri in large cans costing much less per oz. Remember a cigar or pipe smoker will not fill their $500.00 lighter with crap butane.

He could be out of gas......black, you should make sure you see the "blue" first to make sure the gas is actually flowing properly. Ive seen it a few times where its switched on but for some reason it doesnt happpen...therefore no orange when you click it. but yes if you hear the hissing that usually means there is gass flowing........but i have read of ppls iolite not ignighting after many clicks, i think there are lots who experienced it........cold does affect it, ive heard that it should be warmed up before using if its been sitting in the cold (winter in a car for example).......for the non igniting thing I think there was someone here who took it apart and found there was something once cleaned it fired up nice again....

if you keep having issues with it...since you just got it maybe you should take it back....

I have no idea where your getting two loads out of a fill....you iolite must be on meth or something :lol: because I can leave mine on and it goes for at least an hour and a half....if not the 2hrs that they state it can do. A bowl is browned nice in usually 10-15 min....depending on your draws....so in my high calulations thats at least 9 loads at an hour and a half. Iv'e had mine for over a year now and its still going strong no issues at all. unless your spending 30+ minutes per bowl of coarse but to me thats overkill....

yes most shitty variety stores sell tiny cans of ronson and shit, but like I said it depends where you are, around here I can get the full size 300ml cans of colibri or vector or whatever many places and I dont have to travel all the way to a cigarshop to find those.....again maybe some people do...but around here we dont...and i get them for like 5 bucks.

bottom line dont use crap butane ever like chuck is saying.

No worries dude.....i was just thinking if you actually were getting that much that you might have an issue with yours. but knowing how you use it I see why you dont take the chance if your out and about.
i wouldnt wanna carry around a can around either lol

you gotta love the thing for in the car......if anything it looks like your sipping from a drink
better than having a joint and worring about the amount of smoke it makes......any cig smoker will know its not a cig

2Supra4U,

2Supra4U

Blackthoven said:
So I've been having some difficulty with my Piezo button... It's quite the stubborn piece of work. I'm pretty sure I filled the gas chamber properly, even if it over filled I allowed 5-10 minutes as I heard that's what should be done in the case of an over-fill. I turn on the Iolite and the quiet hissing begins, but it just wont ignite after I press the piezo button (slowly, as it was recommended). I tried multiple times, and I can see some sort of spark occurring each time, is it really normal for it to be this inconsistent? Because I can't even use it.

Also, sometimes I'll turn on the Iolite and the gas will flow, but it eventually just stops very shortly after. I was only able to find some Ronson butane, I looked for some 4-5x refined butane such as Colibri but it was not available, so I had to get Ronson. I will certainly make sure to buy better butane next time, but I don't think that should really affect the fact it's not igniting

Edit: Nevermind! I just pressed it a couple more times and it fired up! ^.^

i would take your back if I were you.....you shouldnt be having issues liek that right when you buy it.

its possible the ronson is doing it.,.....north american brand is horrible........it like you getting a beer with a whole buch of sediment shit you can see thru the bottle.....nasty shit.

also, if your gass is stopping it may still be empty because you didnt push the can down on the pin hard enough......if you dont do it hard enough you will think its full cuz it will spit back out......

use something small and empty the iolite out with the pin facing the ground........i sometimes do it 3 -5 times after it stops cuz I always here more "gas or air" from pressure come out when I press it a few times.....just make sure that when u press down you dont hear any release of pressure then you know its totally empty......refill with good stuff......if you cant find it order it online.

2Supra4U,

willieR

Been here since 2009
greystr0ke said:
It might just be personal preference but I cannot stand to use my iolite without the tube attached to the mouthpiece. Without it, the hits are so dry and harsh and irritate the hell out of my throat.

I know exactly what you mean. I used to use 6" of hose, but it was less stealthy than I wanted. Now I have a technique to allow some outside air to inhale as I'm pulling from the iolite. Sort of pull-breathe-pull-breathe as I inhale. Works "OK" but not as good as with the hose.

willieR,

2Supra4U

willieR said:
greystr0ke said:

I know exactly what you mean. I used to use 6" of hose, but it was less stealthy than I wanted. Now I have a technique to allow some outside air to inhale as I'm pulling from the iolite. Sort of pull-breathe-pull-breathe as I inhale. Works "OK" but not as good as with the hose.

maybe if you want to use a shorter piece of tube......you could just take a pin and poke a few tiny holes just above where the iolite tip is inside the tube.....that way you get a weeee amount of fresh air mixed in so that you dont have to to ur toke-breathe thing.......it should allow just enough that it wont affect your draw that much......as long as you use a small enough pin

2Supra4U,

willieR

Been here since 2009
That's not a bad idea at all! I think I'll give that a whirl. Thanks for the thinking cap!

willieR,

Blackthoven

Shaolin Master
Hey all!

I was curious, am I able to add butane to my Iolite while it's running? I haven't done that yet, before I refill I always have the Iolite off just in case, but I was just wondering..

Also what exactly will occur in the case of an overflow? Sorry for all my questions ^.^, I appreciate all of your patience.

Blackthoven,

greystr0ke

Don't refill it while it's on!

If you overfill the butane which should always happen, it just shoots out from the tip. No problem in doing it since it's the only way to judge that the unit is full.

*ETA*

So I've been pretty busy lately and haven't really had a chance to use my iolite as regularly as I normally do :(. The last time that I used it was when I was testing the Optimizer for the 3rd time. Anyways, I just got around to using my io and this time I neglected to use the Optimizer and it felt so much better! My hits were larger and more satisfying without the Opt. I feel as if the Opt isn't capable of getting as hot as the actual chamber and therefore the herb that touches the Opt isn't getting vaped as hot as it normally would. I'm no expert in heat conduction and heat retention but this is what I'm suspecting.

greystr0ke,

2Supra4U

greystr0ke said:

If you overfill the butane which should always happen, it just shoots out from the tip. No problem in doing it since it's the only way to judge that the unit is full.

*ETA*

So I've been pretty busy lately and haven't really had a chance to use my iolite as regularly as I normally do :(. The last time that I used it was when I was testing the Optimizer for the 3rd time. Anyways, I just got around to using my io and this time I neglected to use the Optimizer and it felt so much better! My hits were larger and more satisfying without the Opt. I feel as if the Opt isn't capable of getting as hot as the actual chamber and therefore the herb that touches the Opt isn't getting vaped as hot as it normally would. I'm no expert in heat conduction and heat retention but this is what I'm suspecting.

i would think its fine as far as heating up with everything else. that chamber is small, i just dont see how it wouldn't get up to the same temp as everything else when its 190c +/- in there.

I would think if anything, that all its doing is taking up space.....that otherwise would be weed...hence less possible vapor

that and i think you said it restricted yoor pulls/draws a bit?

not trying to shutdown your thoughts there grey :cool:

2Supra4U,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I think gray is right on target. I cannot see how that opt. could possibly heat up as much as the unit itself. Simply much much more surface area to try and heat up as well as dissipate low level heat. This isn't an efficiently insulated unit here. The unit itself dissipates heat rapidly.

I expected Gray would see the exact results he saw. I could easily have been wrong, but for once I was right.

willieR,

2Supra4U

willieR said:
I think gray is right on target. I cannot see how that opt. could possibly heat up as much as the unit itself. Simply much much more surface area to try and heat up as well as dissipate low level heat. This isn't an efficiently insulated unit here. The unit itself dissipates heat rapidly.

I expected Gray would see the exact results he saw. I could easily have been wrong, but for once I was right.

willie, did you try poking holes n your tube? did it work?

i still dont see how it wouldnt heat up as much as the unit itself......if it were true the part would be pointless in the first place...........everything is contained in a metal shell essentially. if the herb is heated to the same temp why wouldnt something that is a better heat conductor not heat up to the similar temps as well located in the same place. yes there is more metal and surface area so if anything it just may take longer to reach the temp.

if i throw a bunch of metal in my oven and set it to 400.....no matter how long i wait the inside will still reach 400 along with whatever is inside........unless its insulated with somethign that prevents it from reaching the same temp or is a material that is designed not to conduct heat well

anyways we know that it most likely isnt worth the purchase just as i felt when i first saw it.

2Supra4U,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Supra, I have not tried the mouthpiece trick yet but am optimistic.

If the heat source were larger and the unit more insulated, then the oven analogy would be more appropriate, I think. Nut the heating element is about maxed out and the unit is poorly insulated. But it normally does not need to heat more than it does, snd doesn't need to be more insulated.

Based on Gray's testing, it seems clear that the iolite can't handle heating the added metal parts. I would guess that the iolite also cycles on more frequently while trying to keep up.

Regarding the smaller quantity of vapor = smaller quantity of weed-stuff, I can do a smaller bowl and still get huge hits. So I don't think it's the fact that the metal is displacing weed.

At any rate, regardless of the reason, the optimizer doesn't seem to be of added benefit to me, anyway. Although I've gone through three iolites (on my third) I would buy another and treat them as disposable because when they work, they are perfect for me. My current iolite runs flawlessly.

willieR,

comfortablynumb

Hi all,

Never vaporized before but after reading several reviews decided to start vaping. Just ordered an Iolite and I wanted to know if there are any tips you can give me on best practices such as should I fill the bowl all the way or halfway etc etc... your knowledge transfer is greatly appreciated.

comfortablynumb,

Blackthoven

Shaolin Master
comfortablynumb said:
Hi all,

Never vaporized before but after reading several reviews decided to start vaping. Just ordered an Iolite and I wanted to know if there are any tips you can give me on best practices such as should I fill the bowl all the way or halfway etc etc... your knowledge transfer is greatly appreciated.

Well, there are instructions that come with it that should explain most of what you should know. But really it depends on how much you want to put in :), in fact I just got super vape'd in my room about 10 minutes ago and I usually just fill the chamber a little less than half. You should never pack the herbs too tight, they should be loose to allow efficient vaporization, but there should be enough herbs to fill a significant portion of the surface area (despite the small size of the chamber).

Even with that being said, a little amount will last quite a long time! Just try less than you normally would, and if you feel like you would like to fill it more just add some :).

Blackthoven,

comfortablynumb

Blackthoven said:
comfortablynumb said:
Hi all,

Well, there are instructions that come with it that should explain most of what you should know. But really it depends on how much you want to put in :), in fact I just got super vape'd in my room about 10 minutes ago and I usually just fill the chamber a little less than half. You should never pack the herbs too tight, they should be loose to allow efficient vaporization, but there should be enough herbs to fill a significant portion of the surface area (despite the small size of the chamber).

Even with that being said, a little amount will last quite a long time! Just try less than you normally would, and if you feel like you would like to fill it more just add some :).

Thanks,

I know I will find this out with experiance but do you think one bowl would be enough to get 4 people vaped? I have been working my way thru this titanic thread looking for answers but my eyes are bugging out.

comfortablynumb,

greystr0ke

I'm not sure about 4 people. They may be slightly buzzed but in no way, shape, or form should they be absolutely blitzed. One bowl will get me pretty blazed and will get me and a friend high. Two bowls by myself and I'm done. :ko:

greystr0ke,

comfortablynumb

greystr0ke said:

*ETA*

When I was looking around for the best deal on the iolite I found one site selling the optimizer that stated it was only for use in the new version of the iolite.

comfortablynumb,

Blackthoven

Shaolin Master
greystr0ke said:
I'm not sure about 4 people. They may be slightly buzzed but in no way, shape, or form should they be absolutely blitzed. One bowl will get me pretty blazed and will get me and a friend high. Two bowls by myself and I'm done. :ko:

Well, after two bowls my 3 friends and I were intensely impaired ^.^

Blackthoven,
Top Bottom