Cairo1

DevoTheStrange said:
from the looks of it, I am guess you slid it down the pin inside the bowl... giving you essentially four pins pointing straight up. It looks like it would work, More surface area of hot metal in contact with herb. Could also mean less herb with better results.
http://images.gotvape.com/images/gallery/optimizer-bl-004.jpg

I wonder if this thing has a rounded bottom to fit the contour of the iolite bowl? If this is a flat bottom, there would be minimal contact and heat transfer.

Cairo1,

Cairo1

I don't see this "optimizer" on the iolite site. Is this an authorized iolite product?

My concerns are that the bottom is not contoured follow the curve of the bowl. Also I like the current smooth bowl and how easy it is to dump vaped herbs. Clearly this device would not make it so simple to dump waste. I guess another thing would be the heating delay this would cause. You have to heat the standard chamber, as well as this optimizer. Not sure how much that would delay the heating.

Honestly, I was always impressed with the iolite hits once it's up and running. I personally would not see the need.

Cairo1,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I dont think you would want a curved bottom on the optimizer. If you look at the way the bowl is designed the air flows outside the detachable part down the sides directed straight into the bottom. That is why the metal sleeve on mouth piece, the part that slides into the bowl, has angled sides... for airflow into the bottom of the bowl. If this piece were curved there would be a tight fit and no way for the air to get into the bowl. from look of it I would guess that the heat is transfered from direct contact with the pin, not the bottom. I am guessing maybe a minute or so longer of warming it up. All of the heat does not come just from the bottom, alot of it comes from the Pin. So if I were to guess at warm up times I would say that the extra time would be worth it if it makes the experience more efficient.

I believe the Optimizer is a Gotvape product only. could be wrong

DevoTheStrange,

Cairo1

Good points Devo. Makes me wonder how much airflow would remain. I mean, does the fluted metal mouthpiece now rest on this thing? The airflow of the iolite is quite tight as it is.

Again, I have always admired the solid hits of the iolite (although I certainly have other issues with iolites as I'm on my third one...) and I guess I just don't see the need for tis. However I'd be interested if there are any experienced iolite users out there who could compare the two vaping scenarios.

Cairo1,

greystr0ke

I'll order one tomorrow and test it out. I get adequate hits from my iolite but if this thing can make them bigger, I certainly won;t complain.

greystr0ke,

b.rubble

For those that aren't buying the iolite because its made of plastic, let me reassure you. The plastic is Ultem 1000. At my work we use ultem to make hydrogen fuel cells. It is an expensive and durable plastic which has great insulating properties.

Also the iolite rocks, just make sure your getting the latest model if your looking into buying one.

I have had zero issues with mine(2 months) and get super rocked :o every time I use it.

I am using colibri fuel btw.

b.rubble,

b.rubble

Joe Blogs said:
Hi, need help ASAP, got my Iotlite today, completely forgot about the butane gas!

I have Ronson universal high grade lighter fluid gas. Is the what i need or is it diffrent from Butane.

It dose say on the back somewhere, "Caution Butane flammable" That is the only metion of the word butane so i dont know if this only contains butane or is butane.

HELP! :(

Don't use ronson unless your from europe

*for North America: Vector, Colibri, Newport, Dunhill, Braun, Power,
*for Europe: Ronson, Newport, Dunhill, Braun

Ronson is butane but dirty stuff

b.rubble,

dogslayeggs

dogslayeggs said:
elixsor said:
dogslayeggs said:
So, I have had my iolite "which I love" but it stopped working a few days ago... I have filled it and vented it multiple times, and now it wont even hiss when switching to 1. I am using a brand new can of vector, I fill, vent, then shake the iolite, vent again and repeat until no more flow occurs. Im super frustrated. It was a gift and iolite wont do anything cause I dont have the receipt.
If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate them.

Can you find out where the item was purchased? I had misplaced my original receipt but Iolite said if I got a replacement one from the store or that they would be willing to at least verify the purchase that would be sufficient. Maybe if you can call the store and see if they would agree to vouch for your or something?

Sucks though that they haven't had any other options for you...

yeah, it was through vaporizerusa.com... which is not an authorized dealer...
so im SOL with the warranty.

So, I broke down and bought a brand new iolite through an authorized dealer. I got the dark green "gotvape" model. It works way better than my other one ever worked. I am happy as shit now, except the fact I had to buy a new one. Maybe someday my broken one will decide to work again.

Not vaping for like 6 days really showed me how much better quality the high is over combustion. I LOVE THE IOLITE!

dogslayeggs,

dogslayeggs

Cairo1 said:
I don't see this "optimizer" on the iolite site. Is this an authorized iolite product?

My concerns are that the bottom is not contoured follow the curve of the bowl. Also I like the current smooth bowl and how easy it is to dump vaped herbs. Clearly this device would not make it so simple to dump waste. I guess another thing would be the heating delay this would cause. You have to heat the standard chamber, as well as this optimizer. Not sure how much that would delay the heating.

Honestly, I was always impressed with the iolite hits once it's up and running. I personally would not see the need.

I called iolite North America this morning to ask about the optimizer, they have only heard of it as of yet. She informed me they would be getting a shipment of them in about 4 weeks. So this is made by Iolite, details have not been released yet. If anyone gets one would love to know if it works!

dogslayeggs,

dogslayeggs

UrDoinItWrong said:
Just FYI, I dont care what Vector claims about how refined it is...it is FILTHY FILTHY shit butane that doesnt work well in the Iolite. Same With "Lotus" and a few other "premium" butanes. I've found that "King" brand works the best always, makes my Iolite run perfectly every time.

When I asked iolite what brand is there most highly recommended they told me vector. Its what they use in there warehouse.

dogslayeggs,

chiefer420

Hello everyone. Well I am new to vaporizing and after some contemplation I just ordered an iolite from got vape. Should have it on Monday. Well I have read thru this thread somewhat and I am kinda second guessing myself after reading about different problems people are having. I guess I am looking for some reassurance that I purchased a good product. I have read lots of good reviews on the iolite. I love the look and the stealth ability of the iolite. Can I expect a lot of problems with my iolite? I sure hope not but if I do I will definitely check out the troubleshooting tips here! The other portable vaporizer I considered was the launch box. Almost picked it but I really like the idea and the look of the iolite! Did I choose the right vape? Thanks for any feedback! Great site and thread!!

chiefer420,

sundaddy

chiefer420 said:
Hello everyone. Well I am new to vaporizing and after some contemplation I just ordered an iolite from got vape. Should have it on Monday. Well I have read thru this thread somewhat and I am kinda second guessing myself after reading about different problems people are having. I guess I am looking for some reassurance that I purchased a good product. I have read lots of good reviews on the iolite. I love the look and the stealth ability of the iolite. Can I expect a lot of problems with my iolite? I sure hope not but if I do I will definitely check out the troubleshooting tips here! The other portable vaporizer I considered was the launch box. Almost picked it but I really like the idea and the look of the iolite! Did I choose the right vape? Thanks for any feedback! Great site and thread!!

Your issues with the Iolite will hinge upon what quality of butane you use. Use 5x refined only. And once most of the can is used up (95%) Start a new can, don't use the last 5% of it. + you have a 2 year warranty.

sundaddy,

willieR

Been here since 2009
When it works, I love it. Use it daily. I have had three now, however. This current one has been solid for many months so maybe they have their act together. The technology absolutely needs refinement in my opinion.

willieR,

greystr0ke

If you take care of it, it will take care of you. I've had mine since April now and the only issue I've had is broken mouthpieces. I use mine every single day, multiple times a day.

greystr0ke,

chiefer420

Right on! Thanks for the quick responses! I will definitely take care of that bad boy! I stopped by the headshop yesterday and picked up some vector 5x butane and a grinder. I noticed they sold the iolite for $250 I paid 220 with the new optimizer piece from gotvape. The hottie at the shop says they order from gotvape. I've read earlier on here that vector is what the manufacturer uses. Any tips I should know about before using the first time or for cleaning and maintenance? I cannot wait till monday which just happens to be my day off. Thanks for the feedback!

chiefer420,

willieR

Been here since 2009
greystr0ke said:
If you take care of it, it will take care of you. I've had mine since April now and the only issue I've had is broken mouthpieces. I use mine every single day, multiple times a day.

That's not exactly a universal thruth. That would imply that I mistreated my first two units, and that's simply not the case.

While the first one did experience a rainstorm, it worked fine afterwards. For another three months or so. Then it would not ignite. You could see the spark but no ignition.

The second one developed problems earlier, lasting for 6 moths. No abuse at all. In this case it would ignite fine, but when it went to re-ignite itself it would just shoot gas. I would have to manually click it to re-ignite.

The third one has operated perfectly in all respects. I have only used Vector in all three, and I throw away about the last 20% of each can, as I heard the last of the can is more concentrated with impurities.

willieR,

Skinny_j

What a piece of crap!!

So I've had my io-lite 6 months now and it still works thanks to me but I should't have to go through this much trouble to make something I paid 200 bux for work. I have read almost every page of threads in the io-lite forum so I already know all the tips and tricks. Mine worked fine for bout 2 months then it started acting up. it would take 100+ clicks to light up and I was using vector the whole time!! I really didn't want to send it in so I decided to take matters into my own hands and take it apart to see if I could fix it myself. all I had to do was clean the little brass part where the gas comes out and mixes with the air. I just used a little contact cleaner. I noticed some black "soot" looking stuff around the hole where the gas comes out into the combustion chamber. so I cleaned it off, put it back together and it worked like bran new....for another month and a half. Then I had to clean it again which again fixed it.
Recently I've had a problem with the blue "light" coming on and never turning orange. so I thought it wasnt' getting enough gas to start the catalytic process. I took it apart once again to find the little clear hose connecting the gas chamber with the combustion chamber had swollen and ruptured. I had no Idea where to get that little hose anywhere so I just put a little piece of heat shrink tubing around it to seal it up and once again my io-lite works perfect.
So now about a month later I flip my iolite switch on and i hear nothing coming out at all. I have to slam it on the ground about 3 times to get gas to start flowing. I'll take it apart again to see what the issue is and if it can be fixed.

but bottom line: If I had to send this damn thing in every time it had an issue, It would have been at the warranty place for more time than it would have been in my hands. I think this product need's some more work in the r&d department to be a little more reliable. I'm a machinist so I deal with this stuff all day. next time I take it apart I'll make sure to get pics to post up.

My friend just got a magic flight box and it's just awesome!! I ordered mine yesterday

Skinny_j,

Skinny_j

Also, the same company that makes the iolite combustion chamber make's ones for soldering irons. I would like to see what the owners of those soldering irons have to say....

on a positive note I havent broken even 1 mouthpiece:D

Skinny_j,

dogslayeggs

Skinny_j said:
What a piece of crap!!

So I've had my io-lite 6 months now and it still works thanks to me but I should't have to go through this much trouble to make something I paid 200 bux for work. I have read almost every page of threads in the io-lite forum so I already know all the tips and tricks. Mine worked fine for bout 2 months then it started acting up. it would take 100+ clicks to light up and I was using vector the whole time!! I really didn't want to send it in so I decided to take matters into my own hands and take it apart to see if I could fix it myself. all I had to do was clean the little brass part where the gas comes out and mixes with the air. I just used a little contact cleaner. I noticed some black "soot" looking stuff around the hole where the gas comes out into the combustion chamber. so I cleaned it off, put it back together and it worked like bran new....for another month and a half. Then I had to clean it again which again fixed it.
Recently I've had a problem with the blue "light" coming on and never turning orange. so I thought it wasnt' getting enough gas to start the catalytic process. I took it apart once again to find the little clear hose connecting the gas chamber with the combustion chamber had swollen and ruptured. I had no Idea where to get that little hose anywhere so I just put a little piece of heat shrink tubing around it to seal it up and once again my io-lite works perfect.
So now about a month later I flip my iolite switch on and i hear nothing coming out at all. I have to slam it on the ground about 3 times to get gas to start flowing. I'll take it apart again to see what the issue is and if it can be fixed.

but bottom line: If I had to send this damn thing in every time it had an issue, It would have been at the warranty place for more time than it would have been in my hands. I think this product need's some more work in the r&d department to be a little more reliable. I'm a machinist so I deal with this stuff all day. next time I take it apart I'll make sure to get pics to post up.

My friend just got a magic flight box and it's just awesome!! I ordered mine yesterday

so, how did you take it apart... I have tried but it doesnt want to open... any pointers?

dogslayeggs,

Skinny_j

The little rubber colored stickers on the outside of the iolite come off and reveal 2 torx screws #7 or 8 I believe, but you can get them with an allen wrench if you are very careful. After that just pry it apart with a flathead screwdriver. there are a bunch of plastic clips molded into the unit that help hold it together if you are careful you can get it apart without breaking any of them. the one by the "clicker" is the hardest to undo

Skinny_j,

dogslayeggs

thanks for getting back to me skinny... got it apart and it appears as if the tank has ALOT of impurities stuck inside of it... the tank seems to be pretty well sealed shut. is there a way to clean the tank out?

dogslayeggs,

Skinny_j

Not that I have found. but I havent really looked at the tank too closely. maybe that's why I have to hit mine to get the gas to turn on. I'll check next time I take it apart

Skinny_j,

Skinny_j

ok on second look, it looks like you can pop the little hook clips off of the bottom with a small screwdriver. I havent had time to do this yet but I'll keep you updated. the copper end of the little clicker broke off today because of me trying to hit it to get the gas to flow so now I have some soldering to do too. this seem's to be turning into a science project... wouldn't have this issue if it worked right to begin with.

Skinny_j,
Top Bottom