Herb Grinders

panasonic

jsuss13 said:
WillieR,

Would you recommend getting the classic Mix n Ball over the nano for MFLB use? I would prefer the classic just for the ability to grind more herb at once, but I've heard the nano grinds finer and given the portability I think it will make a nice combo with my launch box

- J

Unless you're getting the MnB from a retailer who has old stock, I wouldn't recommend buying anything from them. The grinder I received looks nothing like anything on the website.

panasonic,

SmokingElectricity

Absinthe said:
I recently had a run-in with a SharpStone grinder that I purchased from VaporOutlet. I wish I had read more of this thread before trying either of them! After placing my order, I discovered that the SharpStone's had a reputation for being poorly made. I contacted them and asked to change my order - but I was told that it was too late and to rest assured that the grinder was of good quality. Having owned a $5 grinder that has lasted me many years, I figured "I'm sure it'll be fine. After all, this is a $25 grinder!"

Well, when it arrived, I gave it a twist and immediately felt something wrong. Here's a pic of what would otherwise be a beautiful contraption were it not for the wonky bit...
http://www.vaporpedia.com/w/images/thumb/c/ca/SharpStone_4_piece.jpg/800px-SharpStone_4_piece.jpg

send it back asap. thats the main complaint about sharpstones, the teeth bend and break off.

SmokingElectricity,

jsuss13

panasonic said:
jsuss13 said:
WillieR,

Would you recommend getting the classic Mix n Ball over the nano for MFLB use? I would prefer the classic just for the ability to grind more herb at once, but I've heard the nano grinds finer and given the portability I think it will make a nice combo with my launch box

- J

Unless you're getting the MnB from a retailer who has old stock, I wouldn't recommend buying anything from them. The grinder I received looks nothing like anything on the website.

Man, if I hadn't heard such nice things about the grinders Mix n Ball makes I would be too sketched out by the company to buy any of their products.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MIX-N-BALL-Herb-Spice-Grinder-CLASSIC-BRAND-NEW-/320571622947#ht_957wt_1141

Think this ebay auction is old stock?

jsuss13,

max

Out to lunch
Absinthe said:
Well, when it arrived, I gave it a twist and immediately felt something wrong. Here's a pic of what would otherwise be a beautiful contraption were it not for the wonky bit...
It looks like the black has been scratched off. I would definitely contact vaporoutlet for a refund or replacement. Let us know if you don't get satisfaction from them. I would also avoid colored grinders in the future.

panasonic said:
The 4 pc. Classic now has a different anodized finish (more gold than silver), uses an o-ring, and has no logo or magnets. It's a good grinder, but not worth the $30 price IMO, since you can get a good grinder the same size for under $20. The 2 pc. Classic, sold by EDIT, doesn't have a logo anymore. Whether it's now 'goldish', like the 4 pc., I don't know. If you want a finer grind, the Nano is the way to go-it grinds finer due to its small size (1.2" diameter). For a 2" 2 pc., I'd just get a Space Case from a dealer offering FC members a 15% discount. I've also ordered a couple of house grinders from puffitup.com (4 pc and 2 pc). I've been assured by Randy that their current house grinders, made especially for them, are excellent quality. At $10 and $13, the prices are certainly great.

SmokingElectricity said:
send it back asap. thats the main complaint about sharpstones, the teeth bend and break off.
Sharpstones, according to a member who said he's in the grinder distributor business, are now made with the 100% CNC process, which should eliminate bent and broken teeth under ordinary circumstances. This one may be an older model that's been sitting on the shelf, collecting dust.

max,

kabob

derporist
Absinthe said:
I recently had a run-in with a SharpStone grinder that I purchased from VaporOutlet. I wish I had read more of this thread before trying either of them! After placing my order, I discovered that the SharpStone's had a reputation for being poorly made. I contacted them and asked to change my order - but I was told that it was too late and to rest assured that the grinder was of good quality. Having owned a $5 grinder that has lasted me many years, I figured "I'm sure it'll be fine. After all, this is a $25 grinder!"

http://www.vaporpedia.com/w/images/thumb/c/ca/SharpStone_4_piece.jpg/800px-SharpStone_4_piece.jpg
I have a SharpStone grinder just like this one, and after some time I stopped using it. The teeth on mine look as if they are getting "deformed" and the paint is chipping/wearing off, I wouldn't want to get "bits" of paint in my ground product :uhoh:. Had to give it a wash when I first got it as it had some metal flakes laying around. It has a flimsy "o-ring" but its not attach or anything, it just kind of sits there. I think its an okay grinder, but there are better options. Some time later I got a small 2 piece Space Case grinder and I absolutely love it! The teeth are MUCH better than that of the SharpStone. Yes, it does get kind of clunky sometimes but you can wash it with ISO as many people here have mentioned. Also, as many others have mentioned, you can use a small brush to collect everything around the sides of the grinder.

kabob,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I just got my large (3.5") 4-piece Mendo Mulcher. I have had a 2-piece large MM that I would use to grind finely for my MFLB, but since I rarely use my Launch Box these days, I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on the 4-piece. I like to use the chamber of a 4-piece to hold my "ready to vape" stash and the chamber on this thing is HUGE! I just ground up about 1g of Buddha Cheese and it was "mulchified" in about 3 seconds flat. I'm very pleased with my purchase, and although it was quite pricey (70 bucks shipped), for me it was well worth the extra dough. The quality and workmanship in these Mendo Mulchers is the best that I've come across in all my years of grinding. Anyone in the market for a real high quality grinder should not overlook these excellent grinders. The fact that they're made right here in California is an added bonus for me.

Cheers!

:peace:

Stu,

Nycdeisel

Dont they also have a lifetime warranty? :D
never doubted MM grinders, that one you got must be fucking giant

congrats on the good purchase

Nycdeisel,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Nycdeisel said:
Dont they also have a lifetime warranty? :D
never doubted MM grinders, that one you got must be fucking giant

congrats on the good purchase

Yes, they have a lifetime warranty. Dave is the manufacturer and he has really put out a fine example of American craftsmanship. He's like the Tom and Pam of grinders. This thing is built like a freakin' tank. I don't think I'll be needing the warranty on this baby.

Stu,

SmokingElectricity

i'm very curious...

has anyone who owns a puffitup.com 4 piece grinder done an iso soak on the grinder, and if so what was the results?

SmokingElectricity,

kabob

derporist
SmokingElectricity said:
i'm very curious...

has anyone who owns a puffitup.com 4 piece grinder done an iso soak on the grinder, and if so what was the results?
I don't mean to bad mouth puffitup.com, but...I ordered 5 MFLBs some time ago for me and my buddies, which came with free grinders. These grinder are the biggest pieces of shit I have ever seen (excuse my language). They all had flakes in them and what seemed like oil which had not been removed after machining and "cleaning", very disgusting. I ISO washed one of them, as did one of my buddies, the result...it formed some kind of "black rust" on most of the grinder, very gross stuff. I contacted puffitup.com and they said I could send back the grinder for a pouch for the MFLB, which wasn't really worth it to me so I didn't bother. If I still had the grinder I would post a picture but I have long gone thrown it away, and so have my friends, it just doesn't seem safe to use because I don't want my buds contaminated by flakes of metal and/oil sitting on the grinder. I think you should just drop the extra cash and get a quality grinder from puffitup.com (like a Space Case, he has pretty good prices for them), if it is not too late.

I could use the benefit of the doubt and say I got a bad batch of grinders (all 5), but that doesn't seem too likely. Anyway, I don't mean any disrespect for puffitup.com, as I said I think they have great prices for Space Case grinders and most of the stuff they sell.

kabob,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
2 1/4" is too small for me, having to avoid center-post and break up buds is bothersome,

Question #1: do the 3" feel too small also?

i guess no one likes the large ones because of the brand (4" 5.5")

Question #2: How well do coffee grinders work? (read these do not work well, but wish they did)

companies that need to powder tea or other herbs use these, which look like a coffee grinder inside...

tea grinder
images

images

but I might want something like this:
5lrNrB5z9Y6K8X5OMbSXu1rErb4PIHXq5NeQklir3sWte8uc3Rg1ZCFHh5wr1wSM8d6dKl-snAHDDQektWj0q-xGdgwNp8dSUnO69AMhzd7lXBwLxrgEdTyU4A61dAm0aAUiJQYejtRhVvqWyefjHXgDXlc6pskkBvDRlIUf-IUQJolMUQ

L13011670.jpg

04072-actual.jpg

Here is a video of one in use, it does not appear to work well with fresh herbs.

they range in price from $5.95 to $40 online, called stainless steal rotary herb grinders

VWFringe,

SmokingElectricity

kabob said:
SmokingElectricity said:
i'm very curious...

I don't mean to bad mouth puffitup.com, but...I ordered 5 MFLBs some time ago for me and my buddies, which came with free grinders. These grinder are the biggest pieces of shit I have ever seen (excuse my language). They all had flakes in them and what seemed like oil which had not been removed after machining and "cleaning", very disgusting. I ISO washed one of them, as did one of my buddies, the result...it formed some kind of "black rust" on most of the grinder, very gross stuff. I contacted puffitup.com and they said I could send back the grinder for a pouch for the MFLB, which wasn't really worth it to me so I didn't bother. If I still had the grinder I would post a picture but I have long gone thrown it away, and so have my friends, it just doesn't seem safe to use because I don't want my buds contaminated by flakes of metal and/oil sitting on the grinder. I think you should just drop the extra cash and get a quality grinder from puffitup.com (like a Space Case, he has pretty good prices for them), if it is not too late.

I could use the benefit of the doubt and say I got a bad batch of grinders (all 5), but that doesn't seem too likely. Anyway, I don't mean any disrespect for puffitup.com, as I said I think they have great prices for Space Case grinders and most of the stuff they sell.

same thing happened to mine. got my box back in november and the grinder it came with sat in my drawer till last week. i decieded to give it to my friend cause he didn't have a grinder, so i tossed it in some iso to clean out before i give it to him. check post #2047 on this thread to see what it looked like when i first took it out of the iso. now look at the pictures below. it continues to corrode. this never happened to any other grinder i have ever owned.

dscn0273x.jpg

dscn0275.jpg

SmokingElectricity,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
I also have a free grinder from puffitup that came with my MFLB that I purchased maybe a little under a year ago. It had metal flakes for sure, which was easy enough to clean up and get rid of, but fortunately I do not have this corrosion problem. I don't use it all to often but when I do it works, and looks clean without any corrosion like you can see in Smoking's pictures. . I have two friends that just got the MFLB from puffitup, maybe I will see how their grinders hold up.

aesthyrian,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
what's causing the green color in the second picture? is there residual weedy stuff that might be reacting there?

dscn0275.jpg

i was gonna say maybe clean it with something else too, like bleach, but pretty sure that would toast the finish, if not cause it to explode

i don't pretend to understand what makes aluminum corode, could the magnet help cause corrosion? would storing it apart help? haha

or when aluminum corrodes does it just mean it's cheap aluminum?
what i've read about it it shouldn't corrode unless there's electrolosis (so my question about the magnets)

i think i remember having aluminum bong parts corrode really quickly after using bleach or something, but ISO, which would be on for a relatively short time, would that react with the aluminum?

VWFringe,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Looks pretty corroded. What kind of grinder? Personally I have nothing but good things to say about my small simple cheap two piece space case. Before getting mine I couldn't imagine finding this thread, the discussion of grinders, to be of any interest. It's just a grinder, right? The way I see it, it cost about $20 dollars or so. If after a few years it started to corrode - which I doubt - I wouldn't feel so bad about it. But the subject is interesting, and it is sort of a big deal at least to an extent, because proper grinding is key to proper vaporization.
For what it's worth, I don't waste my ISO on my grinder - it's not necessary, just regular rubbing alcohol does the job. OTOH with a four piece ISO may be warranted because of the screen.

jeffp,

Absinthe

L'Enfant Terrible
max said:
Absinthe said:
It looks like the black has been scratched off. I would definitely contact vaporoutlet for a refund or replacement. Let us know if you don't get satisfaction from them. I would also avoid colored grinders in the future.

I already ate the cost on this one. I had a nice exchange with a guy named Kevin who had promised to send out a return label, but never followed-up after multiple attempts to contact him. I know this isn't the right place on the forum for this comment, but I definitely would recommend staying away from vaporoutlet.com.

Absinthe,

kabob

derporist
Absinthe said:
I already ate the cost on this one. I had a nice exchange with a guy named Kevin who had promised to send out a return label, but never followed-up after multiple attempts to contact him. I know this isn't the right place on the forum for this comment, but I definitely would recommend staying away from vaporoutlet.com.
That sucks, maybe you should try calling them and explaining your situation (if you haven't). Their number is on their site. Bad customer service I guess. :/

kabob,

SmokingElectricity

Absinthe said:
max said:
Absinthe said:

you should have just taped it back up and wrote RTS on the package. if it had a tracking # on there, it will make it's way back to them.

SmokingElectricity,

jsuss13

Is the Mix n Ball website reliable to order a nano from? I emailed their customer service earlier this week and no reply so far. Maybe I should just go to EDIT.

jsuss13,

SmokingElectricity

jsuss13 said:
Is the Mix n Ball website reliable to order a nano from? I emailed their customer service earlier this week and no reply so far. Maybe I should just go to EDIT.

ebay or EDIT is your best bet on getting one.

SmokingElectricity,
Top Bottom