Herb Grinders

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
Theres an herb grinder thread for this... But my 2 cents, cause it worked for me... Is to get a nice kief box if you're wanting to save kief... More surface area and, usually, better screens... Now, I recently went from a space case to a cofee grinder.. the finer grind makes for finer vape hits... I grind the herb in the coffee grinder and then shake the ground herb around in the box... I get nice yields on kief... You can get an exotic zombie box for as much as an upper tier grinder... But if your wrists ache for that back and forth twisting good time, I've heard great things about mendos, and the customer service is pretty good too I hear.

Also, freeze your herb prior to grinding... Only need to do it for 10 or 20 minutes... It will make for a better grind... And iso clean your grinder too... That gunk builds up, masking the sharpness of the blades.

If you want a five piece, go mix n ball

wake n blake,

SmokingElectricity

chromium crusher 5 piece is pretty nice as well....

but my recommendation to you would be to clean your current chromium with iso, scrub it reallly good with a toothbrush and buy yourself a nice 2 piece grinder like SC or something. this way you can save and build up your kief and if it happens not to be a fine enough grind, throw it in the 2 piece and you can make it as fine as you want. this is what i do.

SmokingElectricity,

collegerower

I have been having problems with my small two piece SC and I was wondering if it is a normal issue.

I find that when I load up the grinder some herb, some will get trapped between the top piece and the bottom along the sides. This can make turning the grinder a pain and I am not sure what I could really do to change this. The herb gets pressed down and starts to really stick to the side of the bottom piece.

I have stopped turning the grinder upside down when grinding. Also I cant really travel with the grinder in my pocket without ground material falling to the sides. I can take a photo if needed.

Anyone else have this problem?

collegerower,

SmokingElectricity

collegerower said:
I have been having problems with my small two piece SC and I was wondering if it is a normal issue.

I find that when I load up the grinder some herb, some will get trapped between the top piece and the bottom along the sides. This can make turning the grinder a pain and I am not sure what I could really do to change this. The herb gets pressed down and starts to really stick to the side of the bottom piece.

I have stopped turning the grinder upside down when grinding. Also I cant really travel with the grinder in my pocket without ground material falling to the sides. I can take a photo if needed.

Anyone else have this problem?

it happens. try putting less bud in the grinder at one time. also get yourself a small brush like the one that comes with MFLB. i use one that came with a pair of hair clippers. grinders are gonna get dirty. its a fact of life. clean it often.

SmokingElectricity,

AgentofChaos

Serial Vapist
collegerower said:
I own a medium SC and experience the same issues. For me this tends to happen when the bud isn't very dry; try leaving your desired amount of bud in a dark space for a few hours and then grinding it. Also when the pressed herb starts sticking to the sides and I'm struggling to grind, I use grain alcohol (ISO will work as well) and let the grinder soak in that for a night. I also second SmokingElectricity's suggestion about the LB brush, I use that to collect remaining kief and keep the grinder clean, it's an extremely handy tool.

AgentofChaos,

xlr8shun

wake n blake said:
Also, freeze your herb prior to grinding... Only need to do it for 10 or 20 minutes... It will make for a better grind... And iso clean your grinder too... That gunk builds up, masking the sharpness of the blades.

i never tried freezing it prior to grinding.. i will try that see if it helps.. and cleaning isnt a problem, i iso soak it every time i clean the keif out from the bottom.. its clean.. its just dull now.. i remember when i first got it, it was sharp i could run my thumb over the lid and it would almost cut it.. now.. its still pointy and stuff, but it doesnt "grab" like it used to, and the grind is getting larger and larger over time :(

but i'll try the freezing tip.. maybe it'll help

SmokingElectricity, i have put my buds in a coffee grinder before then transfered them to the CC i have, as a "keif box" only.. and it works, i get a lot of kief.. but the coffee grinder is just TOO fine (at least the one i have), it will turn almost anything into powder-like in just a few pulses.. i use it for grinding up ABV and trimmings for making edibles.. plus i get a lot of kief stuck to the sides, in the crevices and cracks.. i dont even want to know how much im wasting because of that :(

edit: currently my cleaning technique is to fill up a "barbicide jar" about 3/4 of the way with 91% rubbing alcohol, and then i pull the strainer up.. lay my stuff in it overnight or so, then gently lower it into the rubbing alcohol, i might raise the strainer and lower it with a little more force a few times to create some movement in there.. then i will scrub with a toothbrush and hot water after soaking.. if you let your stuff get caked with resin and dirt its hard to come offf, but if you keep it fairly clean more frequently it cleans very easy with hardly any scrubbing.

the barbicide jar lid is tight enough so that the alcohol doesnt evaporate hardly at all, and the strainer allows for easy adding and removing of peices for cleaning with reusing the alcohol a few times.

works great!

xlr8shun,

SmokingElectricity

^^^i never ever use a coffee grinder. :uhoh:

but i have been using that Titan grind alot lately. been pretty tough on it too. teeth, threads and anodized coating are holding up real nice. also it has 4mm holes [the 50 mm version] smallest holes i have seen on a 4 piece grinder other than the SC scout.

SmokingElectricity,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
SmokingElectricity said:
^^^i never ever use a coffee grinder. :uhoh:

but i have been using that Titan grind alot lately. been pretty tough on it too. teeth, threads and anodized coating are holding up real nice. also it has 4mm holes [the 50 mm version] smallest holes i have seen on a 4 piece grinder other than the SC scout.

Titan grinder?

wake n blake,
On the topic of the SC scout, there is an aerospace equivalent from aerospace, the vapeworld grinder name...

I ordered it and after 3 weeks and some asking was told it was out of stock, but they were very very nice and all and all my other transactions with them were great. My real point is that I wish so much they would get that model back in stock! A fine grinding, "2 piece" grinder with a relatively large storage compartment in addition, all in the same unit is what I would love to have as a carry around. Vapeworld, please get it back in stock! The SC scout is way out of my price range and most other people's, I imagine.

charliedontsurf,

SmokingElectricity

wake n blake said:
Titan grinder?

Titan Grinder
dscn0133m.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/TITAN-CNC-50mm-...612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56406723a4

SmokingElectricity,

jsuss13

Hey all, just about to order a Mix n Ball nano for use with my MFLB. I heard the Mix n Ball website was having some trouble in the past fulfilling orders, is this still the case?

Also, here's info on a 10% coupon for the Mix n Ball website in case no one has found it yet (unlikely given the amount of knowledge and research on FC). Just type youtube in at checkout

http://www.mixnball.com/shop/youtube

jsuss13,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I have the little $10 Mix-n-Ball. Grinds dry material to a good workable consistency. I'd love a larger grinder that grinds as small. I find that MixnBall is a little small for my hands.

willieR,

sfld

Guys i just got my original chromium crusher in the mail.

The top lid comes off nicely but i notice theres a plastic circle piece thats loose?

is that a washer of some sort? It isnt really glued down so it can easily come off..

Do i have a defective unit, or is this just for packaging?

sfld,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
sfld said:
Guys i just got my original chromium crusher in the mail.

The top lid comes off nicely but i notice theres a plastic circle piece thats loose?

is that a washer of some sort? It isnt really glued down so it can easily come off..

Do i have a defective unit, or is this just for packaging?
It's a gasket to prevent metal-on-metal grinding, so you should definitely leave it there while you're using it.
:peace:

Stu,

max

Out to lunch
It's called an 'o-ring', and no, it's not supposed to be loose, although it's not really a big deal. It may wear quicker if it moves when grinding though. It's a user replaceable part, but you never see 'em for sale separately. :rolleyes:

max,

sfld

lol ya its completely loose, it doesnt even seem like they glued it on, i wanna try glueing it but im sure that will be hard to do

sfld,

SmokingElectricity

sfld said:
lol ya its completely loose, it doesnt even seem like they glued it on, i wanna try glueing it but im sure that will be hard to do

they aren't supposed to be glued down...

don't glue it...

just use it. one of the crushers i had came with a funky o-ring. it was curled a bit and i just used it a few times, now it stays in place, works like the rest of them. o-rings are meant to be removed when you clean it.

EDIT: if its really that much of a problem, contact the seller and ask them you want a new o-ring. they should oblige.

SmokingElectricity,

sfld

This thing really looks well made! Do you guys think i should soak it in iso before using it? or soap and hot water will be good enough??

Also, it came with pollen press, i wonder if i should wash that also

sfld,

weedemon

enthusiast
just got a 2 pc med space case Ti. and a med space case storage puck (to replace my tin i use for carry. no more crystal loss in my pockets! :D)

This is a nice grinder! 6(less would have been fine too i bet) turns after putting 2 nice lil buds in and i pretty much have perfectly busted herbs. (no chunky bits left over)

I used to own a multi piece sharpstone with the kif collector, but that thing was hard on the wrists! (i gave it away after about 2 weeks and stuck with my sweet leafs)

I am amazed to hear that my lil orange volcano grinder gets such high praise :p it sure does make good powder though. (i always considered it more on the junk side because of its plastic makeup.

until now, I always thought sweet leaf grinders were the best but they have pins instead of the diamond teeth that seem to take a better bite out of the buds. I still have both of them.

weedemon,

Empherio

Arbiter of the Arbitrary
I recently purchased the four piece house brand grinder from Puffitup for like 12 bucks and I love it. To this point I had been using the plastic grinder that came with the mflb, but this is much better. It goes through the bud easily and gives a nice uniform grind perfect for the mflb or vg. I also picked up a SC disc stash that is awesome and I wonder how I went so long without it.

I'd thought of buying a mendo or SC, but now I'm glad I cheaped out. I don't feel like I'm missing a thing with the Puffitup, although I do like the look of that Titan grinder.

Empherio,

jsuss13

WillieR,

Would you recommend getting the classic Mix n Ball over the nano for MFLB use? I would prefer the classic just for the ability to grind more herb at once, but I've heard the nano grinds finer and given the portability I think it will make a nice combo with my launch box

- J

jsuss13,

Absinthe

L'Enfant Terrible
I recently had a run-in with a SharpStone grinder that I purchased from VaporOutlet. I wish I had read more of this thread before trying either of them! After placing my order, I discovered that the SharpStone's had a reputation for being poorly made. I contacted them and asked to change my order - but I was told that it was too late and to rest assured that the grinder was of good quality. Having owned a $5 grinder that has lasted me many years, I figured "I'm sure it'll be fine. After all, this is a $25 grinder!"

Well, when it arrived, I gave it a twist and immediately felt something wrong. Here's a pic of what would otherwise be a beautiful contraption were it not for the wonky bit...
800px-SharpStone_4_piece.jpg

Absinthe,
Top Bottom