Herb Grinders

willieR

Been here since 2009
Anodizing protects us from aluminum oxide. Also increases the durability of aluminum. THis is why anodized aluminum is used in cookware.

I bought a mix n ball 2 piece, and I am completely unimpressed. I have a 4 piece Space Case and love it. I'd like a finer grind, but have not found the grinder that will do it properly.

willieR,

max

Out to lunch
willieR said:
Anodizing protects us from aluminum oxide.
Al2O3 itself acts as a protective coating. It's also used as an abrasive and is found in toothpaste, makeup, lipstick, haircare products, sunscreen, etc. They use it in dentistry to remove stains.

Also increases the durability of aluminum.
With herb grinders, this aspect is moot, unless you're going to pass your grinder down to your great grandchildren.

I bought a mix n ball 2 piece, and I am completely unimpressed.
I love the MnB 2 pc. models. Personal preference I guess. Best coating I've seen, better tooth design than SC, and no o-ring to get lost, damaged, or worn out.

I have a 4 piece Space Case and love it. I'd like a finer grind, but have not found the grinder that will do it properly.
The 4 pc. Scout is the only SC model with small holes (3mm). The others have 5-6mm. A 2 pc. can always provide a finer grind. The MixnBall Nano does the best job IMO, assuming you can deal with the small loads it takes, and your fingers aren't too big. It only has a 1.2" diameter. Great model for carrying around in your pocket though.

max,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Personal preference as you say. I was excited to order the little MixN Ball but it accomodates such a small amount I found it not usable. The small amount I did try was packed and needed a toothpick to get it out. If the organic material is very dry this may not be a problem, but mine is jar cured and stored and not that dry.

I'd also have liked it better with a magnet to keep the lid on. No matter, It just wasn't right for me is all.

willieR,

weedemon

enthusiast
MattyGTwenty3 said:
I don't really feel like looking through 77 pages to find a specific answer, so I'll just ask.

Can anyone recommend a specific coffee grinder for herb? I am planning on ordering one off of ebay but I can't tell which to buy for grinding weed just by looking at them. I use a MFLB and soon a PD, so that consistency is what I'm looking for.

Also, not really looking to spend a shitload on a grinder but between $20 and $30 would be okay.

a little old, but i wanted to reply to it.

I have owned 2 coffee grinders in my 11 years of tokin... the first 2 years i had a shitty little random one, and it got gummed up and eventually i broke it because it became harder and harder to open. (i did clean it too btw)

then i decided i was gonna buy a decent one this time around. so i went to a local store and bought a braun brand grinder.

it cost 25 back then and was about 10 bucks more than the generic ones.

it was totally worth it though cause it still works great! :)

weedemon,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I re-read my post. Moist material doesn't work well. However I just tried re-grinding some dryer stuff in my SC. The little balldid the trick! I was completely wrong.

I store in glass under vacuum so its convenient to grind a fair amount at a time. So the two grinders can work together for me.

willieR,

SmokingElectricity

may sound like alot of work, but i run my bud through two grinders. a quick run through in a 4 or 5 piece for kief reclaim. then a second time through a 2 piece SC. i grind up a few grams at a time and store in an airtight container. sometimes a second grind is not needed. all depends on the type of buds.

SmokingElectricity,
I bought this cheesy looking electric grinder off of EDIT for about 9 bucks, and it's just the bee's knees. The motor is crazy strong (hopefully long lived) and it does as fine a job as my best two piece. Grinding large amounts has gone from a laborious process to an almost-fun process. Watching solids get vaporized is very novel.

http://www.everyonedoesit.com/online_headshop/Electric_Herb_Grinder.cfm?iProductID=552

It's pretty much replaced my other grinders completely. It works great and it's more convenient having the screw-off plastic bowl full of ground material to dump out or use out of itself. EDIT also has tremendously great prices on bulk papers, like 300 Raws for 2.99.

charliedontsurf,

chucku

Charles Urbane
charliedontsurf said:
I bought this cheesy looking electric grinder off of EDIT for about 9 bucks, and it's just the bee's knees. The motor is crazy strong (hopefully long lived) and it does as fine a job as my best two piece. Grinding large amounts has gone from a laborious process to an almost-fun process. Watching solids get vaporized is very novel.

http://www.everyonedoesit.com/online_headshop/Electric_Herb_Grinder.cfm?iProductID=552

It's pretty much replaced my other grinders completely. It works great and it's more convenient having the screw-off plastic bowl full of ground material to dump out or use out of itself. EDIT also has tremendously great prices on bulk papers, like 300 Raws for 2.99.

Looks exactly the same as Vapir used to sell. But at 834 Yen is a little pricey.

chucku,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
so I've been whining about my SC 2 piece... but for anyone with a 2 piece grinder (or any grinder) and you can't get that super fine grind you need for vaping... load your grinder up with herb... close the lid like you're about to grind it, but wait... stick it in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes... it will powder it... and when you get done, tap it on a counter and all the dust falls out cause the cold makes the trichomes less sticky or whatever... this might have already been said, but I'm restating.

wake n blake,
chucku said:
charliedontsurf said:

Looks exactly the same as Vapir used to sell. But at 834 Yen is a little pricey.

It cost less than any conventional grinder I've ever purchased or seen anyone purchase, not bad really. As long as the motor lasts I think it's a great item - it's strong, too, like crazy strong, even with the incredibly cheap, zinc batteries it comes with.

I actually have another electric grinder, the one that came with my Voodoo Vaporizer, and like the Voodoo, it's pretty much a complete piece. The motor is incredibly weak, the grind poor, the grinder itself and the amount to be processed are too small, and the battery has to be carried separately. A real failure, just like all Vapir-related products I've used personally. But if the one on Edit is just like the Vapir one, the Voodoo one is radically different.

charliedontsurf,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
schwann said:
notmyrealUSERname said:
chucku said:
I have my doubts this is a real SC. All SC grinders have a magnet, this one does not (unless they recently changed the design). If you are going to spend the coin for a real SC Grateful Buys and Puff-it-Up are good sources.

I have a genuine sc medium 4 pc without a magnet. I think It's approximately 5 years old.

Why would you want one without a magnet...also puffitup with FC discount has it only for 22.

heres my grinder, notice there is no magnet! i have never thought to myself "wish this thing had a magnet". works great as is.

although, i think i may spring for a scout 4 piece though, just to get a finer grind. i am pretty sure the holes on my grinder are 6mm.

img1852pj.jpg

img1857.jpg

img1866ur.jpg

notmyrealUSERname,

willieR

Been here since 2009
That little $10 Mix n Ball does a good job on dried material. I'm sorry I ever said a disparaging word against it :(

willieR,

sfld

guys how is that titan?

It looks like as for a 4 part grinder with a kief collector that is the best bang for the buck?

Not really worried about freezing it? Anyone else got a quick input on the most bang for the buck 4 piece?

sfld,

SmokingElectricity

sfld said:
guys how is that titan?

It looks like as for a 4 part grinder with a kief collector that is the best bang for the buck?

Not really worried about freezing it? Anyone else got a quick input on the most bang for the buck 4 piece?

i have the smallest 4 pcs Titan [believe 1 7/8"] it's a nice grinder for the price. very nice finish. not the best at accumulating kief though. better off getting a 4 pcs no aluminum chromium crusher for around 20 shipped on ebay/amazon, or spend a few more dollars and get a 4 pcs mix n ball from their site.

SmokingElectricity,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
charliedontsurf said:
chucku said:
charliedontsurf said:

It cost less than any conventional grinder I've ever purchased or seen anyone purchase, not bad really. As long as the motor lasts I think it's a great item - it's strong, too, like crazy strong, even with the incredibly cheap, zinc batteries it comes with.

I actually have another electric grinder, the one that came with my Voodoo Vaporizer, and like the Voodoo, it's pretty much a complete piece. The motor is incredibly weak, the grind poor, the grinder itself and the amount to be processed are too small, and the battery has to be carried separately. A real failure, just like all Vapir-related products I've used personally. But if the one on Edit is just like the Vapir one, the Voodoo one is radically different.

Haha, I don't know about the Voodoo but it looks damm identical to the one I have in my hand right now:

I still have 5 of those from my young years of paraphanelia seller... I think I have a life of blunts , papers, grinders...:D
Yes it is the cheepest efficient electrical MOFO ever...Though it can get stuck with some very dense strains (but ok I'm talking about what I use to call "stone nugs"...). The only thing I don't like about this little champ and its german big bro' coffee grinder I also own (http://www.trendiscount.com/417-672-large/moulin-a-cafe-bosch-noir-180w.jpg) is how khieff is centrifuged on lateral walls & lid...The process of harvesting everything with a brush is VERY efficient (maybe a little too much, like the freezer trick: I like reclaiming my khieff but not lowgrading my MJ too much) but TOO LONG to be done each time you use those!

FLskwat,

SmokingElectricity

MattyGTwenty3 said:
SmokingElectricity said:
was searching online tonight, looking for a nice new 2 pc. didn't want another SC, stumbled upon a 2 pc non aluminum chromium crusher. gtfo. never seen a 2 pc CC before. i'm a fan of the non aluminum CC's so i had to get one.

http://www.vaporizers.com/collections/frontpage/products/chromium-crusher-grinder-2-2-2pcs

Damn that is a great deal.

yeah... :rolleyes:

received my "2 piece" Chromium today. knew it was too good to be true. first off it wasn't a 2.2" it was 3". second, it was broken. [hence the quotation marks around "2 piece"] i should have known better. 4 and 5 pcs models are made so much better. oh well. back in the mail you go.
img20110312155403.jpg

SmokingElectricity,

mlo4sho

SmokingElectricity said:
can anyone comment on the aerospaced grinders that vapeworld.com sells?
I picked one of these up recently. I like it. I've never owned a fancy grinder so this is the best one I've ever used. Plus the price is great. I'm no expert on grinders but it seems to be well made. My only gripe thus far is the amount of crap that is gunking it up, but I'm sure that's normal with most grinders. Other than that, ~$15 shipped for a 2.5" 4 pc quality grinder can't be beaten, imo.

mlo4sho,

max

Out to lunch
SmokingElectricity said:
can anyone comment on the aerospaced grinders that vapeworld.com sells?
I bought a used 2" at a very good price a year or so ago, as well as a new one (maybe 2.25") as a gift. The gift grinder has been getting constant use-mine is just used once in a while. Both are holding up just fine and work well. When I bought, they were called Aerospace, with no 'd' on the end. I guess they ran into a 'name problem' with some other company. IMO they're a very good deal for the money.

I"ve also been assured by Randy at Puffitup.com that their new house grinder is very good quality. I'll be trying one those out pretty soon. $13 for a 2.25" 4 pc. is hard to beat.

mlo4sho said:
My only gripe thus far is the amount of crap that is gunking it up, but I'm sure that's normal with most grinders.
Gotta clean it man, especially the screen. A toothbrush and some ISO makes it a quick job, unless you're trying to recover what's been left in the grinder.

max,

SmokingElectricity

max said:
I"ve also been assured by Randy at Puffitup.com that their new house grinder is very good quality. I'll be trying one those out pretty soon. $13 for a 2.25" 4 pc. is hard to beat.

i got one of these with my LB and could not use it. came with corrosion/oxidation spots all over it. everything else i have gotten from puffitup has been straight though.

dscn0218zy.jpg

dscn0219c.jpg

SmokingElectricity,

vapeguy

Electric of manual grinder? (merged)

I had a Volcano for several years and I always used an electric coffee grinder for my herb but found it made inconsistent grind sometimes leaving large lumps and/or fine powder that clogs the vape screens in no time.

I just ordered an Extreme Q and along with it a 4 piece manual grinder which I had never seen before which is awesome, it automatically sorts from too big grind, perfect grind, and powder across 3 levels and 2 grills inside.

I think this gives me a much more efficient grind by not making powder that clogs the screens.

What type of grinder do you use and which do you think is best?

vapeguy,

sfld

Guys can you give me a link to a non aluminum chromium crusher?

I see a bunch of links on ebay that say original gun metal however under description it says aluminum lol

sfld,

xlr8shun

grinder pollen catcher mesh size... (merged)

im in the market for a new grinder, and have a couple questions that hopefully i can get some answers for, from someone who has owned both or used both...

basically, i have a chromium crusher, 4 pc grinder.. has worked great for a little over a year now, havent had a single problem with it, except now im noticing that my vape bags are not as dense as they once were, not as strong as they once were, and im trying to figure out why..

well its because my grinder is starting to dull and its not grinding into fine enough peices anymore.. on thing i noticed about this grinder when i first got it was that it didnt necessarly grind as fine as i would have liked, but i made it work for a while.. now its just not cutting it anymore.

i have been looking at new chromium crushers, mendo mulchers, and space case grinders.. im leaning toward the mendo just because of the shear amont of teeth in the thing, and all the videos i have seen with this thing in action it looks like the grind im seeking. im looking for a very fine grind, not powdered, just a fine grind for my vape. also important is the pollen catcher. only thing that concerns me about the mendo is the mesh screen on the chromium crusher is very fine (i dont have a micron size for you sry) and from the vids i have been seeing the mesh on the mendo looks very large in comparison. i dont want all kinds of matter falling through my mesh screen, i want crystals to fall through.

anyway, my question is, anyone that has used them both, is there really a diff in the mesh size? how do people who have use the chromium crusher compare to the grind you get from a mendo? any other experiences? recommendations? should i just get another chromium? or spend a few bucks more and get a 4pc mendo (do they make a 5pc? that might get me a smaller mesh on the bottom)

thanks

xlr8shun,
Top Bottom