Herb Grinders

max

Out to lunch
I then bought a cosmic case 1.65'' 2piece from vaporgenie which grinds WAY finer than the SC 2piece does.
Interesting. Personally, I've found that either of the small 2 pc. grinders I've been using (56 mm Titan and same size MixnBall) will do a really fine grind, although I have to do the usual 'reload and repeat' if I want to grind for the LB. They do have a decent price on the small Cosmic at vaporgenie. I would avoid the small 4 pc. Cosmic if you want a fine grind though-huge holes.

max,

schwann

max said:
I then bought a cosmic case 1.65'' 2piece from vaporgenie which grinds WAY finer than the SC 2piece does.
Interesting. Personally, I've found that either of the small 2 pc. grinders I've been using (56 mm Titan and same size MixnBall) will do a really fine grind, although I have to do the usual 'reload and repeat' if I want to grind for the LB. They do have a decent price on the small Cosmic at vaporgenie. I would avoid the small 4 pc. Cosmic if you want a fine grind though-huge holes.

I literally get powder from the 2pc cosmic. no reload and repeat for the LB. The 4pc cosmic is terrible and I returned it.

schwann,

schwann

Puget said:
schwann said:
[. . .] I then bought a cosmic case 1.65'' 2piece from vaporgenie which grinds WAY finer than the SC 2piece does. The cosmic case grinds it down to a powder, which I can't get from my SC 2pc.
Thanks for posting. I was just about to buy a Ti 2-pc Space Case for my MFLB; found the cosmic at ebay.

I couldn't find the 1.65'' on ebay, so I have no idea how the 2'' cosmic would fare compared to the 1.65''. Most likely the same, but just a warning.

schwann,

max

Out to lunch
I literally get powder from the 2pc cosmic. no reload and repeat for the LB.
Good to know.

The 4pc cosmic is terrible and I returned it.
It's a very nice grinder (but pricy), but only for small amounts and definitely not what you'd want for a fine grind. I was shocked at the size of the holes. More empty space than metal in the bottom grinder section. :/

max,

Puget

mollusk
schwann said:
Puget said:
schwann said:
[. . .] I then bought a cosmic case 1.65'' 2piece from vaporgenie which grinds WAY finer than the SC 2piece does. The cosmic case grinds it down to a powder, which I can't get from my SC 2pc.
Thanks for posting. I was just about to buy a Ti 2-pc Space Case for my MFLB; found the cosmic at ebay.

I couldn't find the 1.65'' on ebay, so I have no idea how the 2'' cosmic would fare compared to the 1.65''. Most likely the same, but just a warning.
I bought the only 1.65" listed but I'm quite sure the seller will put more up; it was $19.99 delivered.

Puget,

PoopMachine

Got my Mendo Mulcher a few days ago and have been playing with it. I gotta ask.. why isnt everyone using these things? It grands WAY better than my Sharpstone and the price is definitely right.

PoopMachine,

Puget

mollusk
PoopMachine said:
Got my Mendo Mulcher a few days ago and have been playing with it. I gotta ask.. why isnt everyone using these things? It grands WAY better than my Sharpstone and the price is definitely right.
I was thinking about one of those; I love the name. You have the 2.25" 2-pc, right?

Puget,

PoopMachine

Puget said:
PoopMachine said:
I was thinking about one of those; I love the name. You have the 2.25" 2-pc, right?

Yes although I wish I would have gotten the 3 inch and probably will order one. The grinder works great, better than my Sharpstone by a mile. Unless there is some kind of long term durability issues with these things I dont know about, this should be THE grinder. It grinds with WAY less effort than anything else Ive ever used.

PoopMachine,

schwann

PoopMachine said:

I find my CC grinds just as good as the Mendo for less money by about half. I'm strictly talking about the 2inches. I don't see the need to be paying double for grinders when you can get just as good for less. In essense, that is why not everyone is using those things.

schwann,

PoopMachine

schwann said:
PoopMachine said:

I find my CC grinds just as good as the Mendo for less money by about half. I'm strictly talking about the 2inches. I don't see the need to be paying double for grinders when you can get just as good for less. In essense, that is why not everyone is using those things.

The 2.25 was less than $25 shipped.

I have a CC also. It doesnt hold a candle to this grinder. In fact, my CC is my least used grinder. I only get it out when I cant find another one.

Course there again, I dont like multilevel grinders.

PoopMachine,

max

Out to lunch
PoopMachine said:
I had a 3" Mendo. Didn't like the plethora of teeth-just personal preference. As far as grinding better than others, didn't experience that. Prices on the Mendo site are good on the 2 pc. models though, and the little 1.5" is interesting.

max,

PoopMachine

You didnt experience less wrist work to grind with it? I like the way the top kind of floats on the center post and with the shape, it's easier for me to grip and turn.

PoopMachine,
So I decided to do an order of every grinder Puffitup.com orders, and I ended up with a few more than that! Thanks Randy.

First to review in the Puffitup 2 piece. This is a very solid grinder with a great action, high build quality and an O ring, which is nice. The finish seems high quality and I found absolutely no signs of poor machining or chipping aluminum. This is available for sale.

Puffitup 4 piece. Just as nice. The whole unit is surprisingly light for a four piece, and has a mesh on the finer side of the fence, leading to a lower amount but higher quality yield. Available for sale. Basically a big brother to the 2 piece, built along the same exterior motif and using similar teeth. The holes I believe are on the medium-to-large size so not the best four piece in existence for something like the MFLB - I mention this because I saw some discussion on this post about hole size in 4PCs, how many prefer smaller. For the ridiculously low price Puffitup asks for, this is a great grinder.

Puffitup rosewood grinder. I had an idea in my head that wood grinders with set pins would grind like crap. WRONG. This thing grinds just as fine as any traditional metal grinder and and finer than most. One of the pins on mine was a little too tall and made grinding rough, I just bent it ever so slightly off center so that it now works beautifully. This is a big-ass grinder with zero magnet or metal post in the middle, so it's nothing but grinding area, minus the pins themselves. I've heard some wood grinders have a tendency for the herb to stay in little crevices, not the case here. Available for general sale.

This is a weird one, called the Grindtainer. http://www.grindtainer.com/ It's basically a plastic container with a grinder built in by having a top with teeth while also having teeth on the bottom of the container. It's a great idea which Randy said they are trying to improve the quality of (it seems pretty quality now, but even the Mona Lisa could use a bigger rack :lol: ) and is going to sell through puffitup.com. I hope the little company producing these finds success, their product is pretty damn clever. As for how it grinds, completely reasonably, as well as any other plastic grinder, and you'll be happy to have it when you need a grinder, the lack of a magnet or threads just means you have to hold it together while grinding. I don't know why the medical community hasn't jumped on these, it's totally the sort of thing where someone might say "I'm going to X club instead of Y club because X club sells their stuff in those awesome grinder containers." I'd be using it as a carry around container if it weren't for the better, classier, totally awesome Scout-type grinder I also got as a bonus because Puffitup is tits.

I mentioned a Scout type grinder to Randy, saying that the Vapeworld Aerospaced-branded Scout has been out of stock for like a year and that the Spacecase model is absurdly expensive. He informed me that he's been toying around with a beta Scout-type grinder and mailed me one! Now this is what I need - a smell proof, decently large but pocket sized container I can carry around at all times with a built in grinder. This is actually what I've been storing my preground herbals in for a few weeks, and love it. The magnets in this mother are STRONG, that lid isn't going anywhere. It should go prodo just so I can get a spare!

I ordered the press available on the website and am very pleased, especially for the price. I would like to have a 5 or 10 dollar-extra option to have aluminum dowels instead of plastic, although these are super nice plastic dowels. Just as nice or nicer than a buddy's press which was purchased in a headshop for a whopping 60 bucks.

Randy also sent me a simple plastic grinder with a strong magnet and pyramidal-shaped teeth. If this were anyone's first grinder they'd be very pleased, super smooth action and very consistent grind.

Randy sent me another, beta/nonproduction grinder, which is basically the teeniest metal grinder I've ever seen. This thing is minute, about 133% of the width of a quarter, and about half as tall as one. Some people who immediately consider this a novelty based on its size, but I've actually been using it and am impressed by its grinding ability. You need to break up herbal somewhat just to make it fit, but it does a great job making a truly good grind. This grinder is tiny enough to simply live in your pocket/purse/backpack and you'd never realize it was there until you actually needed it. Just... Tiny. It's a nice little grinder for sure, with the same quality (nice C&C work, Oring, strong magnets) as the other Puffitup metal grinders.

I also think Puffitup should make little machined containers, just like Spacecase does. I've always been a glass jar guy but for some reason I've really come to like the container in the Scout and would love to have a few more, inexpensive Puffitup designed, steel-cylinder style containers.

Pretty damn pleased overall.

charliedontsurf,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

SmokingElectricity

too bad you cannot iso wash puffitup's grinders. they should let you know you can't iso the grinder or change the material's it's made from. :2c:

no disrespect.

EDIT: i'm talking about the name brand aluminum one. idk about the others.

SmokingElectricity,

schwann

PoopMachine said:
schwann said:
PoopMachine said:

The 2.25 was less than $25 shipped.

I have a CC also. It doesnt hold a candle to this grinder. In fact, my CC is my least used grinder. I only get it out when I cant find another one.

Course there again, I dont like multilevel grinders.

Well...misunderstanding then. I thought you had gotten a 4pc. I hate the Mendo 4pc teeth. I love my CC.

schwann,

chucku

Charles Urbane
SmokingElectricity said:
too bad you cannot iso wash puffitup's grinders. they should let you know you can't iso the grinder or change the material's it's made from. :2c:

no disrespect.

If it is an uncolored aluminum grinder, why not? With my SC 2 pc I never have to clean it other than using the MF brush after each use.

chucku,

SmokingElectricity

chucku said:
SmokingElectricity said:

no disrespect.

If it is an uncolored aluminum grinder, why not? With my SC 2 pc I never have to clean it other than using the MF brush after each use.

because they are aluminum with a chrome finish. or so i've been told.

SmokingElectricity,

chucku

Charles Urbane
SmokingElectricity said:
chucku said:
SmokingElectricity said:

no disrespect.

because they are aluminum with a chrome finish. or so i've been told.

No worries the Puff-it-Up brand grinders are bare aluminum.

chucku,

SmokingElectricity

^^^maybe if they changed their formula recently.

when i asked what the grinder is made from, Rick replied "The grinder is aluminum with a chrome finish" just last week. i just think they should include a note with cleaning instructions and possibly warn not to soak the grinder in iso, because thats what most people use to clean their grinders.

as you can see the iso was not too kind to the chrome finish.
dscn0275.jpg

puffitup is a great site and they even offered to replace it, i've bought a bunch of stuff from them in the past and will continue to do so.

SmokingElectricity,
Yeah I remember seeing your posts, good job on taking all those high res, comparative photos of all the different grinders, that's an awesome service to us all.

I'll try dabbing some iso on the grinders and see what happens.

I've never tried to chemically clean any grinder. You should see my very first one, yeck. I just carefully scrap off excess material on the walls so that the given grinder can at least keep turning and grinding.

charliedontsurf,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
This afternoon I cleaned my 2 piece space case within an hour just letting it sit in a zip lock bag with cheap ethyl alcohol. I shook it a few times for good measure; that's all it required. It's as good as new now and turns like a swiss watch. I find ISO unnecessary for cleaning grinders.

jeffp,

chucku

Charles Urbane
jeffp said:
This afternoon I cleaned my 2 piece space case within an hour just letting it sit in a zip lock bag with cheap ethyl alcohol. I shook it a few times for good measure; that's all it required. It's as good as new now and turns like a swiss watch. I find ISO unnecessary for cleaning grinders.

Iso is much less expensive than everclear, but you can't drink iso.

chucku,
This thread is fascinating.

Done some surfing and think the best coffee grinders are ceramic burr grinders (not blade ones). The manual ones need muscle power, but you use that with herb grinders anyway.

The important thing is that the grinding is uniform.

These coffee grinders have variable grind sizes. So u can vary it for your LB, HA or any other vape
But they're pricey. Even so, have you seen the cost of 4pc herb grinders these days?
Might as well buy a coffee grinder (even though its not portable). And apparently, you can use it for coffee too.

For the LB, I think Magic Flight recommend a 2pc. I think that's cos you don't lose the kief when you put it in the trench.
In which case, I'll need to get a 2pc herb grinder for my LB (the acrylic one provided by Magic Flight is pants).

Since the net is saying the Space case is the best, I'll get that one. The 2pc is the cheapest product they have.

As for their really expensive 4pc items, the words 'robbery' and 'daylight' come immediately to mind.

Vapemania-original,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
Vapemania,
I was not impressed with the 2 pc medium SC.
I can never get the grind fine enough, seems... And it gunks up to the pint of ceasing quite frequently.

I'm looking into a cosmic case, extra small or the mix n ball micro/mini whatever.

Those appear to grind fine enough For the LB and are very portable

wake n blake,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Vapemania said:
This thread is fascinating.

Done some surfing and think the best coffee grinders are ceramic burr grinders (not blade ones). The manual ones need muscle power, but you use that with herb grinders anyway.

The important thing is that the grinding is uniform.

These coffee grinders have variable grind sizes. So u can vary it for your LB, HA or any other vape
But they're pricey. Even so, have you seen the cost of 4pc herb grinders these days?
Might as well buy a coffee grinder (even though its not portable). And apparently, you can use it for coffee too.

For the LB, I think Magic Flight recommend a 2pc. I think that's cos you don't lose the kief when you put it in the trench.
In which case, I'll need to get a 2pc herb grinder for my LB (the acrylic one provided by Magic Flight is pants).

Since the net is saying the Space case is the best, I'll get that one. The 2pc is the cheapest product they have.

As for their really expensive 4pc items, the words 'robbery' and 'daylight' come immediately to mind.

Don't do it!!! Burr grinders are for coffee only. The hopper is designed to allow coffee beans to fall through. Bud may not be small enough to fall through and if it does may not be dense enough to grind, it would just bounce around. Also cleaning a burr grinder would be a bitch.

chucku,
Top Bottom