Herb Grinders

PoopMachine

Ive switched to a coffee grinder and I doubt I ever look back. I need a portable grinder tho so Ill probably get one of those Mendo Munchers. The coffee grinder is where its at tho. I bought a Braun at Target for about $30.00. It has a stainless steel grinding bowl so cleaning it with iso should be a snap.

PoopMachine,

SmokingElectricity

so about a month ago i "splurged" on a non aluminum 2 piece chromium crusher [CC] from http://www.vaporizers.com/ [if you look at post #2043 in this thread, you can see what they originally sent me] well after about 3 weeks of unanswered emails and finally phone calls, this is what i recieved in the mail today. I believe it's supposed to be a non aluminum 2 inch 4 piece CC. it honestly only measures 1 7/8 inches like my titan, yet i have only seen the smallest CC listed online at 2 inches. now when i was opening the package, i knew right away that this was not a 2 piece and was a bit disappointed... till i opened the grinder.

this baby has thee smallest holes i have ever seen on ANY 4 piece grinder. between 2-3mm. same size or possibly even smaller than the SC scout since it has 3mm holes. i wanted a smaller 2 piece than the one i have [3 inch SC Ti] to achieve a finer grind. now i can and reclaim kief at the same time and cut a whole step out of my process.

i know alot of people on this forum like 4 piece grinders to reclaim kief but also say the grind is not fine enough for many vaporizers. this might be a great solution for some of you. after a nice iso wash [yes,you can iso this entire grinder] and a test run, must say i'm very happy with the results.

EDIT: i just want to point out that vaporizers.com doesn't sell this grinder on their site. even though their email is not the best, the customer service rep over the phone was very nice and was as helpful as can be for the situation. believe her name was Amanda. seems they tried to go make up for the mistake buy upgrading to a 4 piece. either way they turned an unhappy customer happy, which can be hard to do sometime. :D

a few pics so you can make up your own minds.

2 1/2 inch CC on the left. 2 inch on the right.
dscn0279c.jpg

2 inch CC on the left. 1 7/8 inch titan on the left.
dscn0280i.jpg

2 inch CC on the left. 1 7/8 inch titan on the left. [check out the teeth]
dscn0276.jpg

2 inch CC on the left [2-3 mm holes]. 1 7/8 inch titan on the left [4 mm holes]. [check out the size of the holes]
dscn0277j.jpg

;)

PoopMachine

SmokingElectricity said:
okay...

so about a month ago i "splurged" on a non aluminum 2 piece chromium crusher [CC] from http://www.vaporizers.com/ [if you look at post #2043 in this thread, you can see what they originally sent me] well after about 3 weeks of unanswered emails and finally phone calls, this is what i recieved in the mail today. I believe it's supposed to be a non aluminum 2 inch 4 piece CC. it honestly only measures 1 7/8 inches like my titan, yet i have only seen the smallest CC listed online at 2 inches. now when i was opening the package, i knew right away that this was not a 2 piece and was a bit disappointed... till i opened the grinder.

I have this grinder and I think it sucks for vaporization but I havent found any grinder with holes in it that seems to grind find enough. Thats another reason I switched to a coffee grinder. I will say the CC has held up pretty good considering. I just ordered a Mendo Mulcher so I guess we'll see how that compares.

PoopMachine,

max

Out to lunch
Is the Mix n Ball website reliable to order a nano from? I emailed their customer service earlier this week and no reply so far. Maybe I should just go to EDIT.
The MnB guy is bad about answering email. The site says 'in stock' for the Nano, but if he's out when your order hits, it could be a while. One from EDIT will run you over $17 w/shipping. The eBay seller smokestop419 is the best place to buy ($10 delivered), but he's out of the Nano right now.

SmokingElectricity said:
I believe it's supposed to be a non aluminum 2 inch 4 piece CC. it honestly only measures 1 7/8 inches like my titan, yet i have only seen the smallest CC listed online at 2 inches.
Every grinder I've ever measured has been slightly smaller than advertised, in inches anyway. The 2 1/2" Space Case is actually 2 7/16". I suspect that all grinders are manufactured in millimeters and just rounded off to inches, and they round up, rather than down.

max,

PoopMachine

SmokingElectricity said:
^^^cool story bro. what size mendo did you get?

I got the 2.25 single layer. I kind of bought this on a whim. I have all kinds of grinders and I just dont think any of them do a great jovb for vaporization. The single layer models seem to work better because the weed doesnt fall down through the holes and you can grind it finer but it still doesnt get THAT fine.

Coffee maker is where its at.

PoopMachine,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I've used coffee grinders and it definitely grinds your bud up very, very well. However I was shocked at the amount of kief I was collecting in the thing. At first I thought "cool, look at all the kief I'm harvesting!" but it then occured to me that I'm just de-kiefing my bud. Sure, I can add some kief to each bowl, but that's a pain in the ass. So I gave up on my awesome de-kiefing-bud-shredding coffee grinder and got the 2-pc Mendo Mulcher (3" just like my new 4-pc) to do a fine grind while maintaining the "kief integrity" of my herb. It does a good job, but will not get as fine a grind as the coffee grinder gives. So when I need a super fine grind for my launchbox, I go old-school and put my ground shit in a shot glass and snip away with scissors. It takes a few minutes, sure; but I prefer it to kiefless herb.

:2c:

Stu,

max

Out to lunch
PoopMachine said:
I have all kinds of grinders and I just dont think any of them do a great jovb for vaporization. The single layer models seem to work better because the weed doesnt fall down through the holes and you can grind it finer but it still doesnt get THAT fine.
I've used a lot of different vape models, and IMO most don't require even the kind of fine grind you can get with a 2 pc. when you keep at it, grinding and grinding. The Launch Box is a different animal and benefits from a really fine grind, thus the popularity of coffee grinders. Prior to the LB, you didn't hear nearly as much about people using an electric grinder. With most vapes, it's even a little counter productive to grind to a fine powder. Screens aren't fine enough to contain those finely ground particles, and the air path can get constricted with larger, convection bowls when they're loaded up with powdered herb. The herbalAire, kind of on the opposite end of the LB, doesn't even need ground herb, especially when filling bags. If you use ground bud in that model, you have to install a 2nd screen above the ground herb to avoid having it sucked up through the main mouthpiece. So how much grinding is required (if it's needed at all) for vaping really depends on the model you're using.

willieR said:
Could I ask what the EXACT model # is, please?

Is this it? http://www.amazon.com/Authentic-Chromiu B004LH3DYI
That's the original, non alumiunum Crusher. It has a LOT of holes, and they're not small.

max,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Thanks Max. I'm tempted to get that grinder that SmokingElectricity is showing us there. I like the kief collection.

willieR,

willieR

Been here since 2009
That's the exact same link I posted. Max said that's not the one. What am I missing?

Thanks a LOT, by the way. Very helpful

willieR,

lwien

Stu said:
I've used coffee grinders and it definitely grinds your bud up very, very well. However I was shocked at the amount of kief I was collecting in the thing. At first I thought "cool, look at all the kief I'm harvesting!" but it then occured to me that I'm just de-kiefing my bud. Sure, I can add some kief to each bowl, but that's a pain in the ass. So I gave up on my awesome de-kiefing-bud-shredding coffee grinder and got the 2-pc Mendo Mulcher (3" just like my new 4-pc) to do a fine grind while maintaining the "kief integrity" of my herb. It does a good job, but will not get as fine a grind as the coffee grinder gives. So when I need a super fine grind for my launchbox, I go old-school and put my ground shit in a shot glass and snip away with scissors. It takes a few minutes, sure; but I prefer it to kiefless herb.

:2c:

Totally agree and is the reason I gave away my 4pc ti SC and got the 2pc. De-keifing the bud only to have to put it back in again didn't make much sense to me.

lwien,

willieR

Been here since 2009
I can't argue that. I do like to ocassionally make a nice salad and add kief to the ground material. So I like to collect it.

willieR,

SmokingElectricity

i don't notice much at all if any loss of potency when using a 4 piece. it's all personal preference. i like to build up alot and vape straight kief in my DBV or even MZ and get real high when i need to.

it's not like i grind up some bud and add the kief right back to the bud, cause that would be kinda pointless :rolleyes:

SmokingElectricity,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Smoking E, any thoughts on my comment above? You and Max don't agree on that link to your grinder

willieR,

SmokingElectricity

willieR said:
Smoking E, any thoughts on my comment above? You and Max don't agree on that link to your grinder

Taken from the amazon link.

Product Features

2 inch diameter 4 piece grinder
28 razor sharp diamond teeth in grinding chamber
"Made from durable metal alloy in chromium finish in gun metal color"
Mesh screen chamber for sifting
Teflon Ring for a much smoother grinding experience

looks to be the same thing i have.

or you can try ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4pcs-ORIGINAL-Chromium-Crusher-Classic-Herb-Grinder-/260757326705?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb6590b71

SmokingElectricity,

max

Out to lunch
willieR said:
That's the exact same link I posted. Max said that's not the one. What am I missing?
My mistake. I didn't even read the size. It looked like the larger CC. Holes sizes (round holes anyway) range from 3-6mm, with only a very few available with the 3mm size. Most have 5-6mm. I've found that with most standard size bowls, like the typical wand, it doesn't matter that much whether you grind with 3mm or 6. My aluminum Chromium Crusher has larger, rectangular holes, but only 12 of 'em, and grinds as fine as models with a lot more holes, even if they're smaller (the usual 5 mm). I find that the really small bowls (log vapes) do much better with a grind from a 2 pc., so it can depend on what vape you're grinding for. I've found that pretty much any 4 pc. I use gives a fine enough grind for a wand, but I'll use a 2 pc. and often my Nano for the PD.

My favorite 'best buy' 4 pc. is still the Sharp Crusher, $15 delivered - http://merchantswholesale.ecrater.com/p/10172565/4-piece-sharp-crusher-56mm-premium (same seller has it on eBay for a buck more).

max,

willieR

Been here since 2009
Max, you prefer the Sharp Crusher over the Chromium Crusher? I'm using a MFLB and like the smallest grind. I won't use an electric. I'd like the 4-piece rather than 2-piece to collect kief.

My little 2-piece nano ball works but is such a small diameter it's a little akward.

The holes / teeth on the Sharp Crusher are smaller than the Chromium Crusher? I hate to pester you with this but you seem to have great insight into the specs. For example "Holes sizes (round holes anyway) range from 3-6mm, with only a very few available with the 3mm size. Most have 5-6mm" Not sure where you got that but that's great insight.

Thanks

willieR,

SmokingElectricity

willieR said:
Max, you prefer the Sharp Crusher over the Chromium Crusher? I'm using a MFLB and like the smallest grind. I won't use an electric. I'd like the 4-piece rather than 2-piece to collect kief.

My little 2-piece nano ball works but is such a small diameter it's a little akward.

The holes / teeth on the Sharp Crusher are smaller than the Chromium Crusher? I hate to pester you with this but you seem to have great insight into the specs. For example "Holes sizes (round holes anyway) range from 3-6mm, with only a very few available with the 3mm size. Most have 5-6mm" Not sure where you got that but that's great insight.

Thanks

the holes should be the same size on the 2 inch models. alot of vendors post the specs.

sharp crusher is aluminum
chromium crusher is alloy

pretty sure they are both manufactured by the same company. im sure you can't go wrong with either. just make sure you stay away from the colored sharp crushers because it's paint.

SmokingElectricity,

max

Out to lunch
willieR said:

Thanks
Some of this post is in response to your question. Some is just me trying to clear up some stuff with what I've seen in the past, and some revealing current info.

There is no 2" Sharp Crusher-only 2.25" and 2.5". I can't compare the 2" CC holes to my Sharp Crusher. I've only seen the original alloy CC and my aluminum model, described below. I like the Sharp Crusher because it's a great buy ($15 including shipping via ecrater), and it doesn't have a ton of teeth and holes like the original CC (which seems to copy the Space Case design in those respects). It's very similar to the CC in fit and finish, and even the name on the top is very much like the CC logo-just a different font. And I'm comparing to my old aluminum CC, which doesn't appear to be still available in this particular design (two different hole configurations-inner holes (3) rounded but slightly triangular, and the outer holes are rounded off but rectangular). The original alloy CC, gunmetal colored and much heavier than any other grinder, is also similar as far as fit and finish. The Sharp Crusher screen also has a slightly larger mesh size than the CC, and that suits my taste as well. As far as the number of teeth and holes, I've found that the grind consistency kind of evens out, between models with fewer teeth and holes, and those like the alloy CC, Mendo Mulcher, and Space Case, where the grinder is crammed full of teeth and holes. Fewer is just my personal preference, mostly for easier loading and cleaning.

Although the particular aluminum CC that I have is no longer made, I'm now seeing it stated that the original heavy alloy CC has been out of production for a year. I guess there's a lot of stock still out there. Now some eBay selllers have a new aluminum Chromium Crusher with the rectangular holes around the outside like mine, but with 14 round inner holes. This is a 2". There's also a 2.5", but a good view of the holes isn't available.

There are also auctions for a Space Crusher-looks just like a CC, and this info on the auction is very interesting-
"This listing is for a Space Crusher Herb Grinder. These grinder are actually the exact same as the original gun metal color Chromium Crushers. It came from the same factory and made of the exactly same material as the Chromium Crushers. It was originally an OEM for one of our customers, but the order was never completed. We are selling these grinders at a reduced price on eBay." You also see clear top CC models, just like Sharpstone, which are now 100% CNC, so no more broken/bent teeth as in the past. All of these lookalikes and slight variations just confirm, as far as I'm concerned, that one factory is producing them all, and just putting different names on them. When a previously unique model like the alloy CC is being sold with a different name, and the seller confirms it's from the same factory, enough said. It's damn confusing too. As soon you think you've got a handle on what's available, they change designs and/or names on you. :/

I would strongly suggest avoiding any clear top grinder, or any with a color, even black. The clear top is a gimmick and defeats the purpose of getting an all CNC made grinder-you're just asking for trouble. Same goes for colored models. Plain aluminum will have the best appearance, long term.

I've gotten familiar with hole sizes because, according to vtac, I have a grinder addiction. :lol: Luckily, I'm mainly hooked on cheap grinders. Like you, I was looking for models with small holes for a finer grind. I found hardly any name brands with 3mm holes (SC 4pc. Scout according to Gratefulbuys), and most do have 5-6 mm. Even the small (2") SC 4 pc. has 5mm. I believe you can still get a 2.5" from kellysgreatproducts on eBay (NEW STYLE 2.5" Spaceage Aluminum Herb Pollen - Grinder) with either 3 or 4mm holes (default is 5), but you have to specify what size you want, and I'd contact him to confirm that this is still the deal. This model runs $18.50 w/shipping.

I have a nice little 4 pc. that's only 1 5/8" (41 mm), and it has 13 holes, with 11 teeth in the bottom and 13 in the top. The holes are 3 mm, and I feel safe in saying that you won't find smaller holes on a grinder. With 3 mm holes, you can end up getting quite a bit of herb trapped in the holes unless you're grinding very dry stuff. Even with very dry, which powders easily, it's hard to get it all ground so that it drops through without some clogging. So small holes can take a little more work-kind of a tradeoff. IMO, there isn't a 4 pc. grinder, no matter the design, that will grind fine enough (especially with high grade herb) to be optimum for the LB. You can always turn it upside down and grind longer, and that's the best method for a fine grind with a 4 pc., but I don't like to do that. It's messy to clean out. Even with a small 2 pc., you'll have some ground to a fine consistency, and some that could stand some more grinding. I find it worthwhile, for the PD and especially the LB, to finish off with the Nano. If you want it any finer than the Nano can grind (only for the LB, I'd say), then a coffee grinder is the best bet. If a coffee grinder doesn't suit (it doesn't for me), and a Nano is too small for your fingers (or too hard to find for a good price), I think the best bet is a 2 pc., just reloading the herb that needs to be ground finer.

SmokingElectricity said:
pretty sure they are both manufactured by the same company. im sure you can't go wrong with either. just make sure you stay away from the colored sharp crushers because it's paint.
I'd agree with all that, and add any colored grinder to the list (that doesn't include MixnBall, since that's scratch resistant anodizing).

max,

schwann

I have to backup what SmokingE has been saying regarding the 2inch non-alum CC. I've had it for a long time, ever since the guy put it back up on eBay. He didn't even have listings for it yet when I got it from him. It is super nice as I sold off my SC 4piece because of it. I then bought a cosmic case 1.65'' 2piece from vaporgenie which grinds WAY finer than the SC 2piece does. The cosmic case grinds it down to a powder, which I can't get from my SC 2pc.

schwann,

Puget

mollusk
schwann said:
[. . .] I then bought a cosmic case 1.65'' 2piece from vaporgenie which grinds WAY finer than the SC 2piece does. The cosmic case grinds it down to a powder, which I can't get from my SC 2pc.
Thanks for posting. I was just about to buy a Ti 2-pc Space Case for my MFLB; found the cosmic at ebay.

Puget,
Top Bottom