Herb Grinders

Archimedes

When you go into the image on Imgur there are a bunch of image links on the right hand side. You want to copy the BB Code link one & paste it directly in your message, don't use the insert image button as the link already has the img tags.

yeah sorry man i dont see any links on the right hand side of the imgur pages, and ive already literally spent hours trying to do this. Sorry but if it's to much of a pain to open the individual links then just don't respond to my post i guess because im computer illiterate and it's a miracle i was even able to upload the pictures to imgur in the first place...

Last edited:
Archimedes,

biohacker

Overall I can tell why these grinders are very popular around here, it is extremely well made and i would be an extremely satisfied customer if it didn't have these issues. I understand some may think i'm just nitpicking, but i'm hoping others here will also agree that i should probably send this one back for a new one. Thanks for your time!

Definitely send it back if you aren't satisfied....these aren't cheap grinders. I purchased 2 SCS's when they were first released, and I don't know if they had any manufacturing issues or what not but I purchased them because they were being advertised as being "scratch proof", and they started getting scratched up within a few days just from normal use. Maybe the tolerances were off or something? Returned them without issue.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Hello Everyone. So i finally received my 3 piece SCS after a long delay in the mail (Thanks USPS!), and i was briefly inspecting it before i was going to do an iso clean and start using it. Right away i noticed several large marks in the bottom dish, 4 of them, where the paint seemed to be scratced away or something. After looking at it further, i noticed quite a few imperfections that i wanted to share with you guys to see what you thought. Personally i think im going to return for a new one, becuase i bought it directly from the scs website so i figured it would top notch.

http://imgur.com/a/kE0Hu http://imgur.com/a/kRsbf

kRsbf
kE0Hu

So in these you could see 2 of the 4 marks in the bottom dish that i was talking about, one with flash on a flash off.

http://imgur.com/a/VmcaY
VmcaY

Here you can see some scratches on the bottom of the middle piece. Nothing major, but still didn't expect to see in a new piece from the scs website

http://imgur.com/a/D1CUh http://imgur.com/a/lKJja
lKJja
D1CUh

lKJja
D1CUh
From the top piece, another couple of those markings where the paint or whatever seemed to have been scratced away.

http://imgur.com/a/TgIQI http://imgur.com/a/fuXIW
fuXIW
TgIQI

fuXIW
TgIQI
Finally in these two you can not only see those markings i was talking about, but you can also see several areas there the color is already chipped away and you can see metallic, one of which being the top of a few of the teeeh, and as well as along the rim of the middle piece. Which also looking at the threading of the one of the earlier pictures you can see some fading of the color along the threading as well, which would make sense because i was just turning it with nothing in it to get a feel for it, and i noticed some blueish shavings (?) on my hand after i finished... Not 100% if it was from the grinder, but i don't know where else it would have come from since i had just cleaned my hands prior to trying it out.

Overall I can tell why these grinders are very popular around here, it is extremely well made and i would be an extremely satisfied customer if it didn't have these issues. I understand some may think i'm just nitpicking, but i'm hoping others here will also agree that i should probably send this one back for a new one. Thanks for your time!

I grabbed pic of the worst part (IMO at least) for you. Here it is:
N88ElGA.jpg

Short answer on how to post pics - Post to imgur (or other site), pull up picture, right click and choose "copy image location", hit picture icon here while creating/editing, paste that link. Easy peasy! No worries. I get the frustration (we've all been there!) and glad to grab it for you. Just ask first if it gives you trouble. Plenty of great FCers will probably assist.

Have never had an SCS myself, but I would return this and get one of the plain aluminum ones, or maybe look at another grinder manufacturer. If that shit is flaking and going to flake more, it's going somewhere - probably right into what you're vaping! As if that wasn't bad enough, it looks horrible. It may be from poor production (not flaking, just never covered initially). Still looks like crap, and I would be worried that it would be more prone to flaking with incomplete finish.

I have a black "titanium" SC 2 piece as my daily grinder for a few years (3+/-). It has some marks on the finish after grinding probably 1,000+ loads, but almost all on the outside from me whacking it against itself while dumping. There are a few other very small chips I can find if looking hard after cleaning, but nothing like this - even after all that grinding of all kinds of material.

HippieHitman

HotBoxin' My Wheelchair
I have used wow space case, SCS, kannastor other 4 piece diamond shaped teath, 2 piece, mflb grinder, volcano grinder and many more, but after trying a 3 piece Santa Cruz Shredder and seeing it does not grind any finer than my 4 piece SCS I am alittle disappointed.

I really need a finer grind for vaping and I want to hear your suggestions I am gonna try new buy a new grinder in the next day or two.

NewVape Fine Grind looks awesome but @$50 for a 2 piece is it really worth it?

Anyone use a 2peice SCS? Thoughts vs 4piece SCS?

HippieHitman,

howie105

I have used wow space case, SCS, kannastor other 4 piece diamond shaped teath, 2 piece, mflb grinder, volcano grinder and many more, but after trying a 3 piece Santa Cruz Shredder and seeing it does not grind any finer than my 4 piece SCS I am alittle disappointed.

I really need a finer grind for vaping and I want to hear your suggestions I am gonna try new buy a new grinder in the next day or two.

NewVape Fine Grind looks awesome but @$50 for a 2 piece is it really worth it?

Anyone use a 2peice SCS? Thoughts vs 4piece SCS?

Two options to consider, the Magic Flight finishing grinder and a dedicated electric coffee grinder. Neither option is perfect but both seem to work if you are willing to put up with their shortfalls. The MF grinder is too small for my ape hands and the electric option has a steep learning curve.

howie105,

ginolicious

I use a puff grinder and have been using the same one for years. My favorite. I also have a 2 piece space case. But that is never used. I don't really notice the difference really. The only difference is the weed itself and how dry it is impacts how it's grinded. Other than that don't really care. My puff works for me.

ginolicious,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I've heard some great things about this puppy: http://www.kannastor.com/vape-gr8tr-single-1854.html

Look how small those holes are. I don't think I've seen any other grinder with holes that small, eh?
I second the Kannastor GR8TR.

The fine plate makes for a very consistent and fine grind. No need to turn it upside down, no gummed up grinder. The holes are so fine that no piece of your bud is left unbroken.

I just picked up the GR8TR Vape on sale and I feel it was well worth the price. The machining is perfect and will stand up to my space case in quality.

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I grabbed pic of the worst part (IMO at least) for you. Here it is:
N88ElGA.jpg

Short answer on how to post pics - Post to imgur (or other site), pull up picture, right click and choose "copy image location", hit picture icon here while creating/editing, paste that link. Easy peasy! No worries. I get the frustration (we've all been there!) and glad to grab it for you. Just ask first if it gives you trouble. Plenty of great FCers will probably assist.

Have never had an SCS myself, but I would return this and get one of the plain aluminum ones, or maybe look at another grinder manufacturer. If that shit is flaking and going to flake more, it's going somewhere - probably right into what you're vaping! As if that wasn't bad enough, it looks horrible. It may be from poor production (not flaking, just never covered initially). Still looks like crap, and I would be worried that it would be more prone to flaking with incomplete finish.

I have a black "titanium" SC 2 piece as my daily grinder for a few years (3+/-). It has some marks on the finish after grinding probably 1,000+ loads, but almost all on the outside from me whacking it against itself while dumping. There are a few other very small chips I can find if looking hard after cleaning, but nothing like this - even after all that grinding of all kinds of material.
My Space Case Ti coating has held up for 4 years of daily use. It's only just starting to show some bare aluminium where I've contacted the teeth together upon assembly. Even so this is wear rather than chipping or flaking.

The Ti coating is really sweet on Space cases.

subway13029

i have the kannastor gr8tr and about every other size and number of piece scs there is and many other grinders. mflb finishing and s and b 2 piece.which arent bad..but the gr8tr makes.the best fine grind with the small holed plate but ive had some quality issues with my acrylic jar part is seperating from the metal of the grinder because of kief that fell under and built up..and the screen can get clogged at times which is normal..my scs are built better and much more solid in the hand but the gr8tr has been the best of the bunch for fine vaping grind minus the itsy bitsy tiny mflb finishing grinder..lol

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
My SWII came in today! Unfortunately, I saw this as I was opening it.

OUyFPy.jpg

I'm glad I was in a good spot and taking unboxing pictures as I went.

Sent the picture and asked how to proceed and he had already printed out a label for a replacement and replied to me within 5minutes.

Obviously I haven't tried the important part - which is grinding, but it looks nice. Everything else looked pretty clean and smooth so I don't know whether this was a QC issue or it happened in transit. I really like the removable kief screen. Without it, I'm betting you could probably store close to 2g.

I'll update when I get the new one in. I was between this and the gr8r or whatever but this was much cheaper after the discount. I'm also not someone that will complain about turning the grinder upside down and grinding a bit more if it isn't initially fine enough... not that I think it'll matter since I really only use convection

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
My SWII came in today! Unfortunately, I saw this as I was opening it.

OUyFPy.jpg

I'm glad I was in a good spot and taking unboxing pictures as I went.

Sent the picture and asked how to proceed and he had already printed out a label for a replacement and replied to me within 5minutes.

Obviously I haven't tried the important part - which is grinding, but it looks nice. Everything else looked pretty clean and smooth so I don't know whether this was a QC issue or it happened in transit. I really like the removable kief screen. Without it, I'm betting you could probably store close to 2g.

I'll update when I get the new one in. I was between this and the gr8r or whatever but this was much cheaper after the discount. I'm also not someone that will complain about turning the grinder upside down and grinding a bit more if it isn't initially fine enough... not that I think it'll matter since I really only use convection
??? looks like the nickel coating flaked off the rare earth magnet. This is extremely common with these magnets and really shouldn't be an issue in use.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Well, I was worried about metal flakes. I didn't even complain, just sent a pic and said "what do i do? I dont want flakes in my bud" and he had already sent a label back with his response lol. Pretty sweet CS. He also said that it shouldn't be like that, and at least to me it looks like it would flake easily.

I guess I'll post the rest of the pics then. I was just kinda worried and didn't want to post the pics and possibly hurt his reputation... The grinder is super nice and he included a few of his smellproof bags as well.

Regardless I'm dry so I can't grind anything anyway

lGdbxC.jpg

7y3dyj.jpg

496osP.jpg

Last edited:

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Well, I was worried about metal flakes. I didn't even complain, just sent a pic and said "what do i do? I dont want flakes in my bud" and he had already sent a label back with his response lol. Pretty sweet CS. He also said that it shouldn't be like that, and it does look like it would flake easily.

I guess I'll post the rest of the pics then. I was just kinda worried but the grinder is super nice and he included a few of his smellproof bags as well.

Regardless I'm dry so I can't grind anything anyway
I like that they leave a section of teeth missing so that you can load without forcing the bud through the bottom holes when you close it.

cmoney

Is my mendo mulcher fake? I get an odd metallic build up on my hands when I use it really hard(But only when it gets stuck from over packing and I have to really crank on it). Maybe it has something to do with the silver ring I have and a bunch of hand/metallic oils mixing? All I could find on aluminum oxidizing like that was some thread on an engineering forum. I can't remember if this started before or after I started wearing the ring. I bought the grinder at a headshop a while back so I can't really be sure of it's authenticity.

Either way I think I'm gonna search for a new one. Anyone have a run down of the most popular 4 piece options? I'm a bit overwhelmed with the options and I'm tempted to just spring for the double thick 2 piece mendo if I can't find good info here, as the official one I had before my current was awesome. Sadly I don't have time to read through almost 300 pages(Although I wish I could, I love this stuff)! And I've heard to stay away from aluminum grinders. Are they really a bad idea though? Most of the bigger companies use aluminum it seems.

snackmaster

Is my mendo mulcher fake? I get an odd metallic build up on my hands when I use it really hard(But only when it gets stuck from over packing and I have to really crank on it). Maybe it has something to do with the silver ring I have and a bunch of hand/metallic oils mixing? All I could find on aluminum oxidizing like that was some thread on an engineering forum. I can't remember if this started before or after I started wearing the ring. I bought the grinder at a headshop a while back so I can't really be sure of it's authenticity.

Either way I think I'm gonna search for a new one. Anyone have a run down of the most popular 4 piece options? I'm a bit overwhelmed with the options and I'm tempted to just spring for the double thick 2 piece mendo if I can't find good info here, as the official one I had before my current was awesome. Sadly I don't have time to read through almost 300 pages(Although I wish I could, I love this stuff)! And I've heard to stay away from aluminum grinders. Are they really a bad idea though? Most of the bigger companies use aluminum it seems.

I'd be shocked if there were fake Mendos out there. Just seems like too small of an operation to have anyone knocking them off. Probably just something with the unfinished aluminum? You might have better luck with an anodized aluminum grinder.

cmoney

I'd be shocked if there were fake Mendos out there. Just seems like too small of an operation to have anyone knocking them off. Probably just something with the unfinished aluminum? You might have better luck with an anodized aluminum grinder.

The fakes pop up on ebay a lot, usually they're colored though and mine is silver. From how well machined it is, a fake doesnt seem too likely. Was just odd looking down to a discolored hand.

cmoney,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
The fakes pop up on ebay a lot, usually they're colored though and mine is silver. From how well machined it is, a fake doesnt seem too likely. Was just odd looking down to a discolored hand.

It could be that the anodizing wasn't done correctly or has worn off completely.

How long have you had your grinder? Is your sweat known to be acidic?

Winegums,
Reactions: cmoney

little maggie

http://www.kannastor.com/vape-gr8tr-single-1848.html

Kannastor has a really great gallery. Far better than anything I could do.

The GR8TR vape is more so like a 3+1pc grinder since it has a storage container up top.
This is the exact one I have except that mine came with 2 grinder screens: a fine one and a medium one. I've tried several other grinders like santa cruz, cali, cosmic and this works the best for me.
Also it's modular. If you want to take something smaller with you, just take out some of the parts.
I just looked and I have the solid body not the vape. I can't quite see the difference other than price because they both come with 2 screens. If I were going to buy one for the first time I'd get the vape and not the one I have.

Last edited:

cmoney

It could be that the anodizing wasn't done correctly or has worn off completely.

How long have you had your grinder? Is your sweat known to be acidic?
Ive had it for over a year of heavy use. Many ounces, and miles of travel. I have no clue if my sweat is acidic or not.

cmoney,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
Seriously?? What the hell is wrong with you? How can you NOT know?? Who doesn't know??? :lol:

sorry just couldn't resist! :rofl:
I've met people who can rust guitar strings in 6 hours by playing it. Or another example would be eating through the paint on keyboard caps. Some people truely are acidic in nature and will have reactions to certain metals and surfaces.

Top Bottom