Herb Grinders

kellya86

Herb gardener...
I keep a fine brush handy for cleaning out the holes in the GR8TR grinding plate. It only takes a second or two to do and the plate comes clean every time. I use well cured weed so ymmv with sticky stuff.

I use the fine plate with well cured herb most of the time.... I can yam it full, few turns, and it's all in the bottom with clean holes....

If I need to grind some uncured flowers for some reason , I use the corse plate....

But really I'd like a plate in the middle....
Larger holes than the fine plate, but not larger than the corse...

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Yeah, that looks interesting with the SW2. Would definitely be a contender for me if I was looking for something to catch kief. But, I tend to prefer to leave the kief in the mix and vape it as I go.

I'm typically the same way. I've been using a 2pc grinder for a few months now so idk what it's like to have kief. It's nice tho with the SW2 cos you can just take the kief screen out and then have a massive storage chamber.

There is of course a lip where the kief screen would normally attach via magnets to the inside so it's not perfectly flush and etc but it's nice to have the option.

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
after owning my space case 4pc just over two years and grinding at least a few grams daily, I was disappointed to find that I barely had a (maybe) 1mm covering of kief in the chamber. It seems that the larger resin heads do clog the hell out of the screen. I brushed it clean with the little mflb brush and there was a lot stuck there, especially on the bottom side. I can now see through it when holding it up to a light, so it looks like i need to be more vigilant in cleaning it regularly in the future. Just an FYI for other space case owners.

edit: adding pic for reference. The pile in the middle is from the underside of the screen.
KBmFWRY.jpg
Some strains will absolutely plug up a Space Case screen. I've witnessed it myself with what I think was pink kush. The resin heads were so large that they looked like eggs in an egg carton under my magnifying glass. Each one effectively plugging a screen hole in neat little rows.

Other strains I've had fall through the screen like snow and leave it really clean. I always inspect my screen to make sure it's not caked or plugged.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
I'm finding the fine plate (with GR8TR Vape model) to be a perfect grind. I like a finer grind. This is the biggest reason I went away from 4 piece grinders in the past. The larger holes most grinder plates have weren't giving me a fine enough grind. I'd use the ground material as is sometimes, but if I was settling in for a good session I'd usually re-grind (the upside down 2 of 4 piece way), or re-grind a bit at a time using a small 2 piece.

Don't think I've seen it discussed here in FC for quite some time, and maybe thoughts have changed. But, general consensus used to be that finer grind is better because it creates more surface area on your material while being vaped. More surface area means more heat penetration of the whole load, right? Especially for those of us with an affinity for convection.

I sometimes will even load very small nugs. But, those get broken up (whether in the heating chamber or dump and reload) for the last hit or two that is always hiding inside.

I know finer material will vape faster and smoother (maybe too fast for some vaporizors?), and depending on your vape could be a problem with small bits going through screen. But, I'm confused as to why someone would want a less fine grind. Not so fine to go through a screen or something seems like the best place to be for me. And, not to say that less fine grind, or no grind, isn't good. I kind of get no grinding - but that's really a different discussion. I also get the desire for less fine grinds if combusting - whether rolling one up, loading a bowl or doing one hitters. But if grinding anyway, why not have the finest grind that isn't going to create issues with your vape?

Am I missing something here?

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
Coarse grind with convection = more airflow. Less surface area than a finer grind, but I don't know enough science-y stuff to say whether or not the reduced surface area actually makes a difference.

One thing I hate is sucking my herb up into a stem or whatever to load it, and having tiny bits pass thru the screen and end up in my mouth. Of course I could just load with my fingers or a funnel of some sort with the stem inverted but I like to be lazy and not make things needlessly complicated.

Of course this is just me.

biohacker

ut, I'm confused as to why someone would want a less fine grind.

:horse: Big time.... in this thread, and dedicated threads for the topic itself, as well as not grinding at all.

For my personal preferences, I prefer a grind on the coarser side because to me it tastes way better, allows for greater airflow, loss clogging screens, less destruction of trichomes, and it's way easier on my airways. A fine grind with a convection vaporizer really irritates the heck out of my airways, but for others it's opposite.

However, my greatest preference is for not grinding at all....which is what the Supreme v.3 is for! :mmmm:

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Coarse grind with convection = more airflow. Less surface area than a finer grind, but I don't know enough science-y stuff to say whether or not the reduced surface area actually makes a difference.

One thing I hate is sucking my herb up into a stem or whatever to load it, and having tiny bits pass thru the screen and end up in my mouth. Of course I could just load with my fingers or a funnel of some sort with the stem inverted but I like to be lazy and not make things needlessly complicated.

Of course this is just me.

I get you on both points. I think the first is easily fixed by experience with whatever vape. Fine grinds can block airflow if tamping too much, or trying to squeeze too much into the chamber. Once I figured this out, it became easy to fix - no matter what vape. And when my airflow seems tight, the first thing I do is stir and loosen the load - dumping out any overload to use on the next load.

Sucking up herb is my normal way of loading, and I too hate it when crumbs hit my mouth! IMO this is one of the problems with a two piece - especially if you're not paying attention while grinding. More grinding will create a finer grind, and when you're stoned (or have a new grinder) it can be hard to know when to stop. Seems like the GR8TR fine grind plate will take care of this problem for me. This is the biggest reason I was looking to step away from 2 piece. Not that it is hard or complicated, but sometimes I don't feel like paying that much attention to it. ;)

:horse: Big time.... in this thread, and dedicated threads for the topic itself, as well as not grinding at all.

For my personal preferences, I prefer a grind on the coarser side because to me it tastes way better, allows for greater airflow, loss clogging screens, less destruction of trichomes, and it's way easier on my airways. A fine grind with a convection vaporizer really irritates the heck out of my airways, but for others it's opposite.

However, my greatest preference is for not grinding at all....which is what the Supreme v.3 is for! :mmmm:

Thanks for explaining. I've seen many posts about it in this thread (and elsewhere), but guess it wasn't coming through to me or I wasn't remembering properly. I do have this memory thing for some reason! :D

I dunno... maybe I've acquired too many tools and try to squeeze all I can out of my material since it's expensive and often hard to acquire in my area. Other than less destruction of trichs (which I find to be of no impact if you vape it within an hour or so), I can get around the other issues.
IME:
  • flavor always seems more pronounced to me with finer grind - again, more surface area.
  • airflow doesn't get impeded with proper loading.
  • screen clogging isn't an issue if you keep them clean (swap out every 10 sessions or so).
  • vaping through water - or even keeping a drink handy if bubbler not practical- gets rid of any irritation.
To each his own I suppose, and nothing wrong at all with anyone vaping however they like. I'm just always looking for better ways to extract all I can while getting all the flavor and effect I can from my stash. So, my interest is always peaked when I see others suggesting methods different than those I use.

Last edited:

biohacker

IME:
  • flavor always seems more pronounced to me with finer grind - again, more surface area.
  • airflow doesn't get impeded with proper loading.
  • screen clogging isn't an issue if you keep them clean (swap out every 10 sessions or so).
  • vaping through water - or even keeping a drink handy if bubbler not practical- gets rid of any irritation.

Great points.... you're right flavour is more intense with the finer grind, but also more susceptible to uneven roast IME, as well as worse flavour if your temp isn't accurately dialed in. The LSV is a great example for this, or the E-Nano. Coarser grind (and then breaking down/stirring if you like) yields better flavour IMO, just not as intense. A conduction vape can also add intensity to the taste, but there are just so many more variables at play when it comes to flavour.

Airflow can most certainly get impeded with a finer grind, just the act of inhaling will compress your biomass and cause somewhat of a blockage. I have experienced this everyday with the Grasshopper testing coarse vs fine. The finer will cause a reduction in airflow....the only way around this is to load less than the coarser grind.

Screen clogging is a nightmare with something like the LSV or e-nano.... you will have to clean alot more often. In something like the Mighty, you will get ABV dust much more readily compared to a coarser grind.

Interesting you mention vaping through water. You really think keep a drink handy gets rid of any irritation? Everyone is different, a glass of water won't help me. One of the biggest reasons I sold a bunch of my vapes (EVO, Herbalizer, E-nano, LSV, Vriptech) was because of the irritation caused by using water tools with finer grinds. I attribute this to volumes of hot air required for convection vapes and the finer grind mixed with higher temps. Ever since I switched to convection/conduction hybrid vapes with a more medium-coarse grind, and use a water tool with hot water, i'm good to go.

Certain vapes like certain grinds, and everyone has their own personal preferences.

flotntoke

thoroughly vaped
Great points.... you're right flavour is more intense with the finer grind, but also more susceptible to uneven roast IME, as well as worse flavour if your temp isn't accurately dialed in. The LSV is a great example for this, or the E-Nano. Coarser grind (and then breaking down/stirring if you like) yields better flavour IMO, just not as intense. A conduction vape can also add intensity to the taste, but there are just so many more variables at play when it comes to flavour.

Airflow can most certainly get impeded with a finer grind, just the act of inhaling will compress your biomass and cause somewhat of a blockage. I have experienced this everyday with the Grasshopper testing coarse vs fine. The finer will cause a reduction in airflow....the only way around this is to load less than the coarser grind.

Screen clogging is a nightmare with something like the LSV or e-nano.... you will have to clean alot more often. In something like the Mighty, you will get ABV dust much more readily compared to a coarser grind.

Interesting you mention vaping through water. You really think keep a drink handy gets rid of any irritation? Everyone is different, a glass of water won't help me. One of the biggest reasons I sold a bunch of my vapes (EVO, Herbalizer, E-nano, LSV, Vriptech) was because of the irritation caused by using water tools with finer grinds. I attribute this to volumes of hot air required for convection vapes and the finer grind mixed with higher temps. Ever since I switched to convection/conduction hybrid vapes with a more medium-coarse grind, and use a water tool with hot water, i'm good to go.

Certain vapes like certain grinds, and everyone has their own personal preferences.

All good points, but don't really agree about the e-nano. It's been my daily driver for 3 years now (or is it 4?). Not sure, but many more sessions than I could ever count. I have one of the first 20 made and have been rocking with it and newer ones since I got it. Screen clogging hasn't been an issue for me for years. I change them out every 10 sessions or so, and finer grind works best for me. For anyone interested and following here.... get a few screens and have a small capped jar with everclear handy. Change screens regularly. I have two vials - one with dirty screens, one with clean. When the clean screen vial starts getting low, I dump all of the dirty ones into the everclear jar. Shake, let sit for an hour or more, shake, pull and hit with toothbrush, rinse, dry and throw back into the clean vial. Sometimes they require some re-shaping to stay tight in glass.

A drink gets rid of irritation for me. Favorites are some seltzer (cranberry or pomegranite with lime are my favs), or some green tea with a bit of honey (iced or hot depending on mood or season). Water is OK, but find something a bit more works better for me. I much prefer convection and have trouble dealing with the flavor of conduction and many hybrid vapes (cfx, solo, etc). I do love VC's, but have had to grind less fine than I do for nano so as not to have bits come through. A bit of hemp fiber can stop this, but I prefer mine wide open. The finer GR8TR grind plate seems about prefect for this for me.

Warm water in the bubbler is a nice treat, but I usually go with room temp water.

Think personal preferences and procedures used are what allow for the differences. But, still think I get more mileage out of my stash with the finer grinds. Know this is more important to some of us than others, but is a primary concern for me. Will have to do some experimenting to see if I can stretch things further and keep my flavor profiles up with not as fine grinds.

biohacker

That's one of the reasons I moved on from the e-nano....those basket screens would clog up so fast, and the glass honeycomb would clog (especially with a fine grind!). Great vape in the evolution of my hobby, and may enjoy one again someday, especially loved little nugglets and then breaking them down.

You can keep your glass pieces alot cleaner with a coarser grind as well... i've never used any hemp fiber or anything though, but it seems like it or cotton helps trap the finer particles that can irritate so much.

I think @stickstones doesn't ever even grind at all anymore!

snackmaster

Can someone post up a pic of the grind from a GR8TR Vape Grinder after all the bud has fallen through the holes? I'd really like to see how fine of a grind it actually is.

Here's a post of mine from way back that'll give you some idea:

I ordered a Kannastor vape gr8tr a little while ago (15% off labor day sale brought it to $60+shipping), and I finally got to try it last night. So far, I'm really impressed!

Packaging: Pretty slick.
bR5TJfC.jpg

5um0p6h.jpg

Assembled: Probably about the same size as a 4-pc SCS
glA4nXx.jpg

Grind: I really like the grind - finer than the SCS/SC, but not as fine as the MFLB finishing grinder. Super consistent, though. It also doesn't require any grinding upside down and then flipping. Just drop it in, close the lid, and turn. Too early to say, but I suspect being able to keep this grinder upright at all times may help keep it from getting gunked up.
gkS1cN0.jpg

Gr8tr, SCS, and SC: Teeth are much shorter and holes are much smaller on the Kannastor. The Kannastor's grinding chamber is the deepest, which I think makes loading a little easier - no worries about bits falling out or anything like that. The grooves on the male part of the gr8tr are supposed to reduce friction and collect gunk - again, too early to comment on whether that's effective, but it seems plausible. The 3-pc SCS bottom is deeper, but the gr8tr's capacity is more than sufficient for me.
YM5Khgs.jpg

Other stuff:
-The Kannastor has extra storage in the top - dunno that I'd ever use this, but it does utilize otherwise wasted space. However, I do like that the black lid can be used with the bottom part of the grinder to create a storage puck.
-These grinders have interchangeable grinder plates, but this model only comes with only the fine one. Not sure I'd bother buying the coarser plate, as this one suits my needs just fine.

@Mulehead I'm really interested to hear what you think about the gr8tr once you get yours!

Whatever bud I had at that time was perfect for the gr8tr and I'd always get very consistent results. The stuff I have now is much more dense and I get a mix of nicely ground material and then basically powder, which kinda blows as it's clogging my nano screens like crazy.

CalyxSmokr

So, you're only giving it a quick turn or two and and dumping larger ground material from top of plate? To each his own, but why even use a grinder or not go with larger plate (or larger holed grinder)?
The grind is perfect and fluffy. I tried the coarse but wasn't crazy about the grind for vaping. I feel like extraction is more complete and easier with the fine. Great consistency but it just doesn't fall through. It isn't larger material at all in the top. It is all ground fine but holes are too small to really let it drop down.

CalyxSmokr,
Reactions: flotntoke

lwien

The stuff I have now is much more dense and I get a mix of nicely ground material and then basically powder...

Thanks for reposting that, but in regards to the quote above, that's not good, eh? So the GR8TR doesn't do well with dense buds?

snackmaster

Thanks for reposting that, but in regards to the quote above, that's not good, eh? So the GR8TR doesn't do well with dense buds?

Not great if true, but hard to say because I don't exactly have a lot of data points to back it up. Currently living in a prohibition state so I buy in bulk when I can, and pretty sure I've only run two strains thorough it, one being more dense than the other.

Maybe someone else can weigh in on this?

biohacker

With the non-fine Kannastor plate I too can get some BB sized dense pieces. Although a decent grind it's not super even and there can be BB pieces and powder with everything inbetween, depending on the strain.

I found the SCS more even and way fluffier. I think a 3 piece is in my future! I'm done with kief screens!

Silat

When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind.
My gr8tr does just fine with dense nugs...
I find I get a consistent fluffy grind, no matter what I put in.....
But I usually use well cured exclusively.....

I agree.
I use the fine grind plate and it makes perfect fluff for the likes of the Volcano, Mighty and the Crafty.

EDIT: To be clear, I always leave tomorrow's bud out to dry so that the grinder can do its job properly and I do not end up with a messy grinder.

Last edited:

biohacker

EDIT: To be clear, I always leave tomorrow's bud out to dry so that the grinder can do its job properly and I do not end up with a messy grinder.

I wish I started doing this a decade ago! I always just expected dispensary buds to be "ready to go" but drying out even further has made a huge difference in grind quality for me. However, are there any loss of actives leaving it out to the air like that? Or is a day not enough time? I just figured that the aromatics wouldn't be a good as "fresh".

Top Bottom