Herb Grinders

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I wish more companies included a basic grinder with their wares. Even a cheap acrylic would do as I was vape ignorant when I started & used a coffee grinder or scissors initially. That is where places like PIU are really good. Their 4 piece grinders would cost them relatively little to supply yet the kind of gesture that ensures the vape purchaser has what they need when they open the package. They are smart enough to know that first impression & stellar CS will create a lifetime loyalty in the client.

TboneToker

Do the Santa Cruz Shredders have fairly big screen hole sizes? I got a large SCS from PlanetVape and it seems to let quite a bit of material through the kief catcher.. is this normal? How do people find the kief in SCS vs SC I have owned a Space case for 3-4 years and just received a SCS for christmas just curious how people find the kief for SCS, either for smoking or vaping

TboneToker,

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Scs had changed their screens over the years. Older ones have a very fine screen, newer ones do not appeal to me as much... only fine dust makes it through my oldie.

FlyingLow,

TboneToker

HAVE TO SAY I'm pretty disappointed with the kief from the large SCS. My Space Case makes yellow/blond kief, with tiny bits of green and some bits of the orange cannabis hairs. The SCS lets a lot of kief through, when I put the two side by side, or even when the SCS is alone, you can see how green the kief is.

I was under the impression that SCS had smaller screens that many grinders, but even my Zeus grinder from toronto vaporizer has a smaller screen size.

TboneToker,
Reactions: biohacker

biohacker

LOVE the kief out of my Zeus Vortex! Do you have the Bolt or Vortex? Just love the coarse shred and how easy it is to get with the crank, and no maintenance needed.

biohacker,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Finally ordered an SCS 3 piece because I found em for $38 at vapestar.com (had to order a couple Piranha herb containers too for the free shipping though, hope they work well) in almost every color. Amazon had red for just $36 and change (now its 40, pink is 36 though, orange 41) but I decided I want the dark grey since I'm gonna get the purple SLX when my amazon giftcard comes and may take the SCS out and about more... I did notice the website now offers gloss or matte finish, wonder how they differ? Less stick with gloss perhaps? I guess logo is now solid text vs outlined, so the one I bought may be the older version before there were different finishes? I guess we'll see what it looks like in person since photos were stock anyway... Oh and fuck all kief screens :D

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
HAVE TO SAY I'm pretty disappointed with the kief from the large SCS. My Space Case makes yellow/blond kief, with tiny bits of green and some bits of the orange cannabis hairs. The SCS lets a lot of kief through, when I put the two side by side, or even when the SCS is alone, you can see how green the kief is.

I was under the impression that SCS had smaller screens that many grinders, but even my Zeus grinder from toronto vaporizer has a smaller screen size.
Space case has some very fine screens in their grinders. So fine that they will plug up if you get a strain with big resin heads.

I love the kief from my space case.

TboneToker

Space case has some very fine screens in their grinders. So fine that they will plug up if you get a strain with big resin heads.

I love the kief from my space case.

I fear I got a fake santa cruz

because even the teeth on mine aren't all the same.. they all are shaped differently and they aren't as perfect as any of the ones I have seen, they aren't really even square?? I bought it from planetvape..

I have owned a different SCS and it had a finer screen and the teeth were all similar, this one.. they're not all as precise and similar looking as the other one....

My SCS also doesn't look like the one from Planetvapes picture.. the holes are in different places on mine and there's less teeth on mine... can someone chime in? @lwien

maybe SCS changed the amount of teeth, (lowered it) and changed the location of the holes... I don't know..

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
That sucks @TboneToker, I have read of inconsistencies from scs before so it may be genuine. You could try appealing to them as a longtime customer and see what they have to say, it may depend on their mood.

My two scs's are different in that the large one is rasta and the medium is silver. The silver one hardly ever needs cleaning and is actually deeper so they hold about the same amount, even if you can grind more at a time with the large. I like looking at the large rasta but using the medium silver; it's also a better value.

lwien

I fear I got a fake santa cruz

because even the teeth on mine aren't all the same.. they all are shaped differently and they aren't as perfect as any of the ones I have seen, they aren't really even square?? I bought it from planetvape..

I have owned a different SCS and it had a finer screen and the teeth were all similar, this one.. they're not all as precise and similar looking as the other one....

My SCS also doesn't look like the one from Planetvapes picture.. the holes are in different places on mine and there's less teeth on mine... can someone chime in? @lwien

maybe SCS changed the amount of teeth, (lowered it) and changed the location of the holes... I don't know..

I'd contact SCS directly and voice your concerns and then report back here with their responses. It also wouldn't hurt if you mentioned that you are an active member at FC and that there is an on-going thread here about this issue. You may even want to invite there here to respond. ;)

I've been using the same titanium anodized 2 piece Space Case for over 8 years now and it's working just as good now as when it was brand new, but the pic that @t-dub posted up of his orange SCS sure got me thinkin' of maybe gettin' one. Purtty........!! But if in fact there are manufacturing variances like you describe, I may just hold off a bit.

Last edited:

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I will be interested to see your thoughts on the SCS 3 piece & the SLX @Shit Snacks. Nice colour choices too as I would get a purple one if I was buying now. Have been so close multiple times to getting a 3 piece SCS but can't find a valid reason to do so since the SLX is working brilliantly as a 3 piece.

TboneToker

I'd contact SCS directly and voice your concerns and then report back here with their responses. It also wouldn't hurt if you mentioned that you are an active member at FC and that there is an on-going thread here about this issue. You may even want to invite there here to respond. ;)

I've been using the same titanium anodized 2 piece Space Case for over 8 years now and it's working just as good now as when it was brand new, but the pic that @t-dub posted up of his orange SCS sure got me thinkin' of maybe gettin' one. Purtty........!! But if in fact there are manufacturing variances like you describe, I may just hold off a bit.

honestly Lwien I am surprised that the teeth are so different from images online and even from my older mini SCS.

I heard of the screen size getting larger too but this is so large the kief is very green, which I'm not saying is bad, just odd.. It might vape really good (the kief) we'll see.. But it's strange either way... I thought the teeth were supposed to be all the same, Lwien do you have facebook I'd like to show you the teeth on my SCS so you can compare it to yours

will be honest, it still grinds the cannabis to a great, even consistency even if the teeth are different though I still don't know why they're different!

WeAreVenom

I vote for marijuana
Exactly. They're trying to get you started if you're new to cannabis in general and don't have a grinder or tray. That way you don't get an awesome new product and end up not being able to use it because you didn't know you needed a grinder. It eases someone into a market rather than shocking them with having to buy a bunch of supporting accessories.

I see the plastic grinders as temporary until you can get a good metal one.

I have a space case small and space case medium from my combustion days.

Would you say the space case medium has a different grind than the small, or would you consider them about the same?

WeAreVenom,

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I have a space case small and space case medium from my combustion days.

Would you say the space case medium has a different grind than the small, or would you consider them about the same?
You would know better than me. I only have experience with my small 4 pc Ti. The grind varies from strain to strain and what angle you hold the grinder. It's never consistent and often there's a lot of kief stripped off the material.

biohacker

This is one thing I have learned throughout my grinder career....it's amazing how much of a difference the actual buds/cure/strain make when grinding. Just the moisture content alone can make such a huge difference in your end result. I really need to stop grinding herb straight from the dispensary....some buds just need some further air drying I guess for proper grinding and vaping.

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Finally ordered an SCS 3 piece because I found em for $38 at vapestar.com (had to order a couple Piranha herb containers too for the free shipping though, hope they work well) in almost every color. Amazon had red for just $36 and change (now its 40, pink is 36 though, orange 41) but I decided I want the dark grey since I'm gonna get the purple SLX when my amazon giftcard comes and may take the SCS out and about more... I did notice the website now offers gloss or matte finish, wonder how they differ? Less stick with gloss perhaps? I guess logo is now solid text vs outlined, so the one I bought may be the older version before there were different finishes? I guess we'll see what it looks like in person since photos were stock anyway... Oh and fuck all kief screens :D
Sorry, I snatched the last red from Amazon at that price on Xmas night. Color matches my LSV , and the price was a bargain. Had a few gift cards burning a hole in my pocket!

needalift

I won a $25 Amazon gift card in a raffle . I'm looking for an inexpensive but durable small grinder . I'm not looking for an everyday grinder . Just something I could throw in my pocket on the go , in case I don't have time to prepare material before I leave . Any recommendations ??
Not picky about if it's a 2,3,or 4 piece

Last edited:
needalift,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

Winegums

I make things from wood
Accessory Maker
I won a $25 Amazon gift card in a raffle . I'm looking for an inexpensive but durable small grinder . I'm not looking for an everyday grinder . Just something I could throw in my pocket on the go , in case I don't have time to prepare material before I leave . Any recommendations ??
Not picky about if it's a 2,3,or 4 piece
I would look for a two piece from any good brand. It'll be slim enough to fit in a pocket without being too thick.

I don't think you could lose by picking a Space case.

Winegums,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

grokit

well-worn member
@needalift, if you buy this you'll have over $10 left :tup:

I have had this 2.2" 2-piece grinder for years now and would be great for your stated purpose. It's my favorite travel grinder by far because it's so small; it grinds really well almost as good as my shredders. I have read poor reviews of this brand's bigger 4-piece grinders in the past, but this one is a little gem.

:tup::tup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom