Herb Grinders

Aint that just the way?

Just when you think you understand the world...!!

Thanks Chuku. Think you may have a point there. Never even seen a manual burr coffee grinder!!!!

Vapemania-original,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
+ 1 on avoid the burr grinder. I do use a blade grinder for the LB but have my 2pc and 4pc for other uses ;)

Lo,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Vapemania said:
Aint that just the way?

Just when you think you understand the world...!!

Thanks Chuku. Think you may have a point there. Never even seen a manual burr coffee grinder!!!!

Manual burr grinders are expensive, hand cranked devices often used to produce the flour like consistency required for Turkish coffee. Again not a good idea.

chucku,
I thought burr grinders weren't able to grind so finely for Turkish coffee?

Have you had a burr grinder Chucku?

I must say, it'll mean I can get coffee beans which lasts longer than the ground coffee most people get.

Vapemania-original,

lwien

Vapemania said:

I must say, it'll mean I can get coffee beans which lasts longer than the ground coffee most people get.

A good burr grinder will grind your coffee consistently finer than any other method that I know of.

lwien,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Vapemania said:

Not to get too derailed, I have an electric Cuisinart burr grinder, I use it for French press, drip and expresso. However at its finest grind is a tad coarse for expresso. For what they cost they are good grinders. About &45.00 usd when I bought it 3 years ago. By all means if you take your coffee seriously buy whole beans, get a burr grinder capable of grinding for your preferred brewing methods and only grind what you will immediately use. Measure your beans before grinding. Do not rely on the grinders timer.

chucku,

lwien

Vapemania said:
Lwien

Consider the following: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_preparation#Burr-grinding.

If a burr grinder can't make Turkish coffee then it has limitations.
I just imagined an owner would know that.
We can't believe everyones opinion.

Kind of name is Lwien? Spelling not your strong point as well as coffee grinders?

But you believe wiki?

While it's true that not all burr grinders can grind fine enough for Turkish coffee, many can. Consider the following:

"Conical burr. The best choice. Conical burr coffee grinders rotate slower than any other type of electric grinders and produce most precise coffee particle consistency. Whether you want French press, espresso, percolate or even Turkish coffee - this is the device you will want to own."
--- http://www.coffeegrindersreviews.com/

http://www.turkishcoffeeworld.com/Baratza_Virtuoso_Grinder_p/tcw-0027.htm

"A burr grinder will grind coffee accurately for any purpose from French Press to Espresso to Turkish. It is truly an all purpose grinder."
--- http://www.specialty-coffee-advisor.com/how-to-grind-coffee.html

"Some of the better burr grinders, such as the Rancilio Rocky, will grind finely enough for Turkish coffee at their finest setting. "
---- http://www.espresso-machines-and-coffee-makers.com/turkish-coffee-grinder.html

" conical burr coffee grinder can get your coffee beans down to a very fine and consistent powder without needing to go to high speed they work at about 500rpm as opposed to the 10-20,000 rpm of a wheel grinder which makes them ideal for the extra fine needs of Turkish Coffee"
---- http://www.talkaboutcoffee.com/grinding.html

"Better conical burr grinders can also grind extra fine for the preparation of Turkish coffee. Grinding speed is generally below 500 rpm."
----- http://blog.brotherhoodofthebean.com/2006/11/15/capresso-infinity/

I could go on and on with bunches of more links if you wish.

And regarding my username and spelling, since when did correct spelling have ANYTHING to do with usernames?

lwien,

chucku

Charles Urbane
Vapemania said:
Lwien

Consider the following: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_preparation#Burr-grinding.

If a burr grinder can't make Turkish coffee then it has limitations.
I just imagined an owner would know that.
We can't believe everyones opinion.

Kind of name is Lwien? Spelling not your strong point as well as coffee grinders?

Lwien is correct. But there a wide range of burr grinders, just for home use, ranging from under $100.00 usd to close to $1000.00 usd. Some excel at finer grinds, some at coarser grinds. Some are good for all around use. It depends on your budget and the brewing style you prefer. Another thing is never, ever, ever use paper filters. If brewing drip use a gold or stainless steel screen. French press or expresso have their own built in screens and Turkish does not use a screen or filter.

chucku,

lwien

chucku said:
Another thing is never, ever, ever use paper filters. If brewing drip use a gold or stainless steel screen. French press or expresso have their own built in screens and Turkish does not use a screen or filter.

I know we're kind of derailing this thread, chucku, but if you're a coffee lover, I have to turn you on to something. I'm an admitted coffee snob. I've used a French Press exclusively for years and have my coffee sent to me within 3 days of roasting to insure freshness. Kind of a fanatic with all this. I even make sure that my water temp is no higher than 200 degrees, and while I totally agree with you regarding paper filters, you HAVE to try this puppy out. It caused me to put away my French Press. It makes the tastiest cup of coffee that I have ever had, and it uses a paper filter.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroP...1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302224398&sr=1-1-fkmr0

I was super skepticle at first. I thought, fuck, how good can a 23 dollar coffee maker be. If you really like your coffee and haven't yet tried this out...........you must.

lwien,

VWFringe

Naruto Fan
i have one of these, it's a type of burr grinder, but i don't think it would be good for weed

HO380513KS717_250.jpg

has anyone known of this type being used? rotary grinder

5lrNrB5z9Y6K8X5OMbSXu1rErb4PIHXq5NeQklir3sWte8uc3Rg1ZCFHh5wr1wSM8d6dKl-snAHDDQektWj0q-xGdgwNp8dSUnO69AMhzd7lXBwLxrgEdTyU4A61dAm0aAUiJQYejtRhVvqWyefjHXgDXlc6pskkBvDRlIUf-IUQJolMUQ

and does anyone know if the large (3" and over) 2-piece's generally give a coarser grind, or no difference? thinking of something 3" or 4" if not the rotary above.

thanks,

ps: i used to do the fresh roast thing, no sooner than 3 days, no more than 15, it's a good cup that way + <200F

VWFringe,

chucku

Charles Urbane
lwien said:
chucku said:
Another thing is never, ever, ever use paper filters. If brewing drip use a gold or stainless steel screen. French press or expresso have their own built in screens and Turkish does not use a screen or filter.

I know we're kind of derailing this thread, chucku, but if you're a coffee lover, I have to turn you on to something. I'm an admitted coffee snob. I've used a French Press exclusively for years and have my coffee sent to me within 3 days of roasting to insure freshness. Kind of a fanatic with all this. I even make sure that my water temp is no higher than 200 degrees, and while I totally agree with you regarding paper filters, you HAVE to try this puppy out. It caused me to put away my French Press. It makes the tastiest cup of coffee that I have ever had, and it uses a paper filter.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroP...1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302224398&sr=1-1-fkmr0

I was super skepticle at first. I thought, fuck, how good can a 23 dollar coffee maker be. If you really like your coffee and haven't yet tried this out...........you must.

Since there is a stainless steel screen for it I may have to get one of these. And try Trader Joes Colombian Supremo. It is awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/COAVA-DISK-Aeropress-Stainless-Coffee/dp/B004G7TLYO/ref=pd_sbs_k_5

chucku,
lwien said:
chucku said:

I know we're kind of derailing this thread, chucku, but if you're a coffee lover

Well, to be honest I only trust Wiki when it comes to stuff I haven't encountered myself. But since there are so many websites (gosh you must be tired) which say you can make Turkish coffee with a burr grinder, then I'll agree with you.

Even so, Chuku says the espresso grinds were a bit coarse.

There are certainly glowing reviews for the coffee-related product you refer to. I'm not saying the brand name as I don't get paid by them for advertising their product on forums.

Vapemania-original,

lwien

chucku said:
lwien said:
chucku said:

Since there is a stainless steel screen for it I may have to get one of these. And try Trader Joes Colombian Supremo. It is awesome.

Try the paper anyway. There is absolutely no paper taste to it at all. It has a tendency to filter out any bitterness there may be which really lets all the different tastes of the coffee to come through. And yeah, I used to get all my coffee at TJ's. But then I discovered Paradise Roasters.

Check the coffee reviews here : http://www.coffeereview.com/allreviews.cfm?search=1
Paradise Reviews: http://www.coffeereview.com/allreviews.cfm?find=paradise+roasters
Trader Joes Reviews: http://www.coffeereview.com/allreviews.cfm?find=trader+joe

Just finished a bag of their "Romance by Paradise", which is their version of Mocha Java, a blend of 66% Sumatra Danau Toba / 34% Ethiopia Amaro. I would have sworn that there was about 20% chocolate thrown in there, which obviously there was not, but the combo of coffee with the overtones of chocolate was amazing.

lwien,
There can't have been an extra 20% chocolate.
That's cos then it'd be over 100%.
The print on the wrapper says just Toba and Amaro.
Unless they're wrong, and you're right...

Vapemania-original,

lwien

Vapemania said:
There can't have been an extra 20% chocolate.
That's cos then it'd be over 100%.
The print on the wrapper says just Toba and Amaro.
Unless they're wrong, and you're right...

What the hell? :shrug:

To repeat what I said above, "I would have sworn that there was about 20% chocolate thrown in there, which obviously there was not......"

I'm done responding to you Vapemania for your responses here as well as in other threads make no sense whatsoever.

I should have stopped with this quote of yours, "Kind of name is Lwien? Spelling not your strong point as well as coffee grinders?"

Done................

lwien,

chucku

Charles Urbane
I often add a tablespoon of cocoa powder to my grounds. I like what it adds. BTW is this now the coffee thread?

chucku,
lwien said:
chucku said:

Hahaha, I have an aeropress I picked up at a homebrew store on sale. It's interesting for sure, creates a nice espresso-like concoction.

Honestly, I'm all about the yerba mate these days.

But, uh, ahem, grinders are good. After all I've used I still reach for my super cheap electric grinder.

charliedontsurf,

Puget

mollusk
Will the "Space Case extra large disk cylinder stash jar" bottom screw in to (replace the bottom of) my 4-pc large (3.5" nominal) SC grinder?

Puget,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
VWFringe said:

I've had one of these, about 13 years ago before we really had the usual grinders widely available over here. It works a treat with dry herbs, not so good if it's damp (which was a problem when buying weed in the UK as a teenager- even back then it was damp and uncured- even worse nowadays- wet and covered in glass grit :mad: (but I've got a great contact don't need to worry about that)). Hopefully yours are dry and cured too! I think it was called a 'Mullamatic', although looking on google there're a few things called that now.

Assuming you've got sensible cured herbs the only thing to watch out for are stems- this really doesn't like stems of any strength- even small ones can take a bit of effort to chomp through, and bigger ones can bend the revolving cutters. If these get bent out of line they can stop it turning, but are easily bent back into place.

But I'd assume you're not wanting to vape those stems anyway :lol: so taking them out before the grind isn't much of an issue!

It also works better if really hard dense nugs are broken a bit first, but then you do that with the usual twisty grinder anyway. It can take quite a bit of effort to turn the handle round though if you don't do this adequately.

It's cheap and it works, and there's definitely something kind of pleasing about turning the handle and seeing your ground herbs dropping out of the bottom onto your plate or piece of paper. It's a medium grind I'd say, although you can put it through twice and get finer (still not as fine as a 30mm (1.2"?) though).

However, whilst this does the job well enough, I wouldn't really have much use for one myself these days. A medium sized grinder for the house and a few 30mm ones for my various portable kits are all I really need.

Plus this grinder is kind of clumsier to store than a twisty type, and definitely not as portable or pocket friendly.

...and does anyone know if the large (3" and over) 2-piece's generally give a coarser grind, or no difference? thinking of something 3" or 4" if not the rotary above....

I've had a couple of medium and larger generic 2 piece models and the teeth configuration has been pretty similar IME. The only one I've found to give an inherently different (fine) grind are the 30mm (1.2"?) with lots of little teeth (edit: or the plastic 'volcano' types). :2c:

:peace:

WatTyler,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
SmokingElectricity said:
anyone have good things to say about Molino grinders?

the one with the stainless steal pins have caught my eye.

to use on "special" occasions.

http://www.everyonedoesit.com/img/products/molino_wooden_grinder_whirl.jpg

http://www.everyonedoesit.com/online_headshop/Molino_Wooden_Herb_Grinder_with_Embossed_Plate__Tribal.cfm?iProductID=2351
:lol: I've got one of these as well- well it's the version with the plastic pyramid teeth, so not quite the same. This one is actually my second- on the first the 'male' part of the joint broke within a couple of weeks. It's only thin wood at this point, and you've got to be careful tapping the herbs out as I think that might be how I weakened it, although I was by no means abusing it. I really wasn't impressed at how quickly I broke it. But I liked the fact that it was wood, and my version with the cutting teeth can give a really nice fine grind, and it's fairly cheap, so I decided I would give it another chance. Had this second one maybe 2 months and pretty happy with it so far, and if it stands up, although I only use it for finer PD grinds and use a metal grinder for my medium grinds for other vapes.

The wood is quite nice I think, although it's not the smoothest finish. You've gotta keep it clean too- kief likes to stick to the slight roughness of wooden surface inside on mine(the teeth are screwed in on a plastic insert, so there's only a bit of wood- not sure on the version you're looking at). It also eems too be better now it's broken in and got a layer of oils on the wood where the friction is- rather than seizing up with hard resin it does feel a little bit silky/lubricated, which surprises me tbh. (Edit: recollect I did actually put a bit of buzz butter around the join on one- not sure if it was this one though, but it might make sense)

My first one had a leaf and some kind of Molino logo as the front design, which was pretty lame IMO (it was the only one in stock at the time). This one I have now is the Ohm design, which is still a bit of a cliche design for my taste, but at east it doesn't say 'Molino' across it. Your's candidate looks nice though. Those inlaid pieces are ok quality and don't look too tacky. I'd rather they did plain wooden versions. :2c:

WatTyler,

schwann

wake n blake said:
Vapemania,
I was not impressed with the 2 pc medium SC.
I can never get the grind fine enough, seems... And it gunks up to the pint of ceasing quite frequently.

I'm looking into a cosmic case, extra small or the mix n ball micro/mini whatever.

Those appear to grind fine enough For the LB and are very portable

I recommend the cosmic entirely. Way better than the SC that everybody raves about for some reason.

schwann,

chucku

Charles Urbane
schwann said:
wake n blake said:
Vapemania,
I was not impressed with the 2 pc medium SC.
I can never get the grind fine enough, seems... And it gunks up to the pint of ceasing quite frequently.

I'm looking into a cosmic case, extra small or the mix n ball micro/mini whatever.

Those appear to grind fine enough For the LB and are very portable

I recommend the cosmic entirely. Way better than the SC that everybody raves about for some reason.

I get very good results with my 2 pc SC. When you think it is done keep twisting some more, use the LB brush to get everything out.

chucku,
Top Bottom