Herb Grinders

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
chucku said:
mmm said:
Does This Space Case Look Legitimant? (Merged)
Hey FC,

Im in the market for a new grinder and thought I might as well go big and get a Space Case. Im thinking about getting the small 2 piece titanium one for my MFLB and Ive been shopping around a lot to find the best deal. With the discount codes on this site, I can get it for $22 shipped on VapeWorld or Puffitup, but just as I was about to order it there, I found a guy on ebay who's selling it for $18 shipped and from my own state. However, Im just wondering if this Ebay guy is selling legitimate Space Cases:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Space-Case-Tita...482?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35af26641a

Ive emailed him asking about it, but havent gotten a response yet.

Can anyone tell me if this is worth buying?

Thanks!

I have my doubts this is a real SC. All SC grinders have a magnet, this one does not (unless they recently changed the design). If you are going to spend the coin for a real SC Grateful Buys and Puff-it-Up are good sources.

I have a genuine sc medium 4 pc without a magnet. I think It's approximately 5 years old.

notmyrealUSERname,

schwann

notmyrealUSERname said:
chucku said:
mmm said:
Does This Space Case Look Legitimant? (Merged)
Hey FC,

Im in the market for a new grinder and thought I might as well go big and get a Space Case. Im thinking about getting the small 2 piece titanium one for my MFLB and Ive been shopping around a lot to find the best deal. With the discount codes on this site, I can get it for $22 shipped on VapeWorld or Puffitup, but just as I was about to order it there, I found a guy on ebay who's selling it for $18 shipped and from my own state. However, Im just wondering if this Ebay guy is selling legitimate Space Cases:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Space-Case-Tita...482?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35af26641a

Ive emailed him asking about it, but havent gotten a response yet.

Can anyone tell me if this is worth buying?

Thanks!

I have my doubts this is a real SC. All SC grinders have a magnet, this one does not (unless they recently changed the design). If you are going to spend the coin for a real SC Grateful Buys and Puff-it-Up are good sources.

I have a genuine sc medium 4 pc without a magnet. I think It's approximately 5 years old.

Why would you want one without a magnet...also puffitup with FC discount has it only for 22.

schwann,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
Ok, so after some reading, I ordered a 2 piece medium SC with the magnet... the titanium one. I did the prewash... it grinds great, but it really gunks up. Like the sides get that dark green buildup and it gets hard to turn (and I've had it for like a week). Is that just normal for 2 piece grinders because the herb and crystals don't fall through? Or does purchasing a space case require regular maintenance and ISO scrubs?

I thought about getting a cheaper--but still quality--4 piece, like a mendo or chromium or sharpstone or the SC knockoff one (cause puffitup has a great 25% off e-coupon for them)... but I just ordered an exotic zombie shake box... so I don't really need to spend more money on another contraption--hopefully.

I used to use the orange p.o.s. grinder I got with the volcano cause that thing can make powder... but it gunks up so bad that it gets hard to turn, and the plastic flakes off sometimes... and while grinding, herb sometimes falls out of the side, I've noticed.

anyways, was wondering what you other 2 piece SC owners thought about this... I love the grinder... I just didn't want to have to clean it all the time.

thanks all.

blake

wake n blake,

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member
It's called reclaiming, not cleaning! I don't have a 2 pc but the 4 piece collects stuff all over it. A little iso and some time and I'm left with some goodness I would have otherwise lost.

Btw, When I got my sc 4 pc, magnets were not an option.

notmyrealUSERname,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
thanks notmyrealusername

so about reclaiming... do you just like, dump the leftover ISO in a plate and wait for it to evaporate and scrape the leftovers?

Cause I was using a toothbrush, and ISO and yeah, it was just going everywhere... not quite sure how to clean + save aka reclaim.

there's gotta be a youtube vid, right? there's one for everything else ha.

wake n blake,

bwright1128

Hey guys, I have had a MFLB for about 7 months now and the whole time ive been using either the quarter sized 2 piece that came with the box or my larger no name aluminum 2 piece i picked up from my LHS my problem is though neither of them seem to have the ability to get a grind fine enough for the box, so my question is what do you recommend that i buy so i can achieve this almost powder consistency that is ideal for the box. BTW I just ordered a PA and am expecting it soon so that is why ive now decided to upgrade grinders too!

bwright1128,

SmokingElectricity

results from my last grinder cleaning. weighs about half a gram.
dscn0177.jpg

SmokingElectricity,

Deadhead101

I am the Vapor King--I can do anything
wake n blake said:
Ok, so after some reading, I ordered a 2 piece medium SC with the magnet... the titanium one. I did the prewash... it grinds great, but it really gunks up. Like the sides get that dark green buildup and it gets hard to turn (and I've had it for like a week). Is that just normal for 2 piece grinders because the herb and crystals don't fall through? Or does purchasing a space case require regular maintenance and ISO scrubs?

I thought about getting a cheaper--but still quality--4 piece, like a mendo or chromium or sharpstone or the SC knockoff one (cause puffitup has a great 25% off e-coupon for them)... but I just ordered an exotic zombie shake box... so I don't really need to spend more money on another contraption--hopefully.

I used to use the orange p.o.s. grinder I got with the volcano cause that thing can make powder... but it gunks up so bad that it gets hard to turn, and the plastic flakes off sometimes... and while grinding, herb sometimes falls out of the side, I've noticed.

anyways, was wondering what you other 2 piece SC owners thought about this... I love the grinder... I just didn't want to have to clean it all the time.

thanks all.

blake
When you say its building up, I presume that you mean on the outside walls. If this is the case, you could try a couple things to prevent buildup. Firstly, grind less herb at a time. Also when you put in the herb, sort of push it down with your fingers or the top before grinding so that the bud doesnt "splatter" and end up on the outside walls.

My 2 pc SC still works great and Ive never cleaned it in my several months of owning it. Theres probably been at least a quarter put through it too, if not more. I do however notice some friction like you mention.

Deadhead101,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
And are Sharpstone Grinders ok?

I bought some as there were everywhere on Haight street during my last trip to SF. I gave them to my cousin... did I give him 3 useless grinders? :/

FLskwat,

Johnny

I have a grinder and my vape should arrive soon, why is a grinder better to use thwn chopping? I do notice a different consistency after grinding to chopping, but id think thwt finer chopped weed would or should have a better surface area. Ill try both when i get my vape and see.

Also i hate grinders which just have a single screen like mine, it got so clogged with hash i was forced to break it by removung the screen, now it sits there and sorta still filters plant mstter from hash.

Johnny,

max

Out to lunch
Johnny said:
Also i hate grinders which just have a single screen like mine, it got so clogged with hash i was forced to break it by removung the screen, now it sits there and sorta still filters plant mstter from hash.
Using more than one screen isn't going to really help with that problem. You need to take the time to keep the screen clean. Doesn't take much time really. You can just use a toothbrush with some alcohol and you've got an unclogged screen again in minutes.

MattyGTwenty3 said:
SmokingElectricity said:
was searching online tonight, looking for a nice new 2 pc. didn't want another SC, stumbled upon a 2 pc non aluminum chromium crusher. gtfo. never seen a 2 pc CC before. i'm a fan of the non aluminum CC's so i had to get one.

http://www.vaporizers.com/collections/frontpage/products/chromium-crusher-grinder-2-2-2pcs

Damn that is a great deal.
For about $2.50 more you can get a small (2") 2 pc. Space Case, using FC discounts. Unlike the 4 pc. models, Space Case is a great buy in a small 2 pc. size.

max,

SmokingElectricity

max said:
For about $2.50 more you can get a small (2") 2 pc. Space Case, using FC discounts. Unlike the 4 pc. models, Space Case is a great buy in a small 2 pc. size.

you could also grab a 2pc Mix n Ball for that price, which is what i was leaning towards till i found the 2 pc CC. any of the above grinders would make a fine choice.

SmokingElectricity,

Nycdeisel

FLskwat said:

I bought some as there were everywhere on Haight street during my last trip to SF. I gave them to my cousin... did I give him 3 useless grinders? :/

I say yes, they are useless IMO and IME. I owned one and had tons of metal shavings come from it, and have heard many reports of the same thing happening to others.

I dont see why people cheap out on these things, inhaling metal flakes are not safe.

Nycdeisel,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
I wanted to hop on the space case train... I even ordered a medium 2 piece titanium... It grinds great, and is really smooth when it's clean... WHEN IT'S CLEAN is the big part there. I've had it a week, and I've had to clean/reclaim it twice because the gunk built up around the sides and made it impossible to turn, damn near impossible to pull apart. I use it a lot, but sheesh... I literally never cleaned my old grinder.. it's one of those gas station kinds, 4 piece... it never seized up like this... plus the black paint is chipping cause I sometimes tape each half together to knock some of the stuff out when I'm done grinding... I could not imagine spending $100 on one of the 4 piece SCs... unless I just didn't read enough and quality grinders require scheduled maintenance...

then again, I also read that with a 2 piece you could get near grain-like herb like with acrylic grinders, but that is not the case either... I get a good grind, but not like with that volcano acrylic.

oh well... it's here now and I'm using it... it's definitely heavy and feels like it'll last a while... I just didn't want to have to bathe my grinder in ISO once every week or 2.

wake n blake,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Nycdeisel said:
FLskwat said:

I say yes, they are useless IMO and IME. I owned one and had tons of metal shavings come from it, and have heard many reports of the same thing happening to others.

I dont see why people cheap out on these things, inhaling metal flakes are not safe.

OK NYC, thx for the answer. I'm sorry for my cousin now... Though I remember telling him: "those look cheap, bro. You should get GreenLeaf grinders" and he said " go for it, bring some to me".
I only have 3 GreenLeaf grinders: the big 4 parts one, the pocket 4 parts one, and the 2 parts one sized for the MFLB, all aluminium uncolored. The 2 first ones I have own for 10 years+, and they bairly have a scratch.... :o I think GrennLeaf are some of the best EU grinders! And I never recommend anodized grinders as it is adding a risk of paint chips on the long run...

FLskwat,

max

Out to lunch
FLskwat said:
And I never recommend anodized grinders as it is adding a risk of paint chips on the long run...
Anodizing isn't paint. It's a coating-

"Anodizing, or anodising in British English, is an electrolytic passivation process used to increase the thickness of the natural oxide layer on the surface of metal parts. The process is called "anodizing" because the part to be treated forms the anode electrode of an electrical circuit. Anodizing increases corrosion resistance and wear resistance, and provides better adhesion for paint primers and glues than does bare metal.

... Anodization changes the microscopic texture of the surface and changes the crystal structure of the metal near the surface. Thick coatings are normally porous, so a sealing process is often needed to achieve corrosion resistance. Anodized aluminium surfaces, for example, are harder than aluminium but have low to moderate wear resistance that can be improved with increasing thickness or by applying suitable sealing substances. Anodic films are generally much stronger and more adherent than most types of paint and metal plating, but also more brittle. This makes them less likely to crack and peel from aging and wear, but more susceptible to cracking from thermal stress."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anodizing

With grinders, anodizing helps prevent (or should prevent) minor scratches and provides a slightly slicker surface so you don't get as much herb sticking to the grinder. For the most part, it's not worth paying more to get. If it provides a longer life for teeth, it's basically academic vs. practical. The anodized Space Case (the so called 'titanium' coated version) doesn't hold up, appearance wise, as well as the cheaper standard version, from reports I've heard, and the only brand where all models are anodized, AFAIK, is MixnBall, and their coating is excellent, standing up very well to minor scratches.

Grinders in colors like red, blue, black, etc. are not anodized via the electrolytic process but seem to be painted on, and these should be avoided. I'm not sure how well the powder coated 7th Floor grinders hold up. They advertise that they're more resistant to scratching than anodizing, but they're so expensive that I don't think I'll put it to the personal test myself.

max,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
Sorry you are 100% right max.
I prefer plain aluminum grinders with no treatment at all: neither painting, neither anodized.
And as I have a friend working on custom lowrider bikes & trikes I do/should know the difference between both processes... My bad, I was not precise enough!

Thx again for the details!

FLskwat,
Top Bottom