Gear DIY E-Cig THC Liquid Discussion

MacRadish

AGBeer said:
Cant you use something low heat based? Like a candle warmer or even put it in a crock pot (on low) for an extended period of time? That is a slow constant heat that isnt 'too' hot.
Yes, I failed to mention above that I left the two vials evaporating with a small ceramic heater blowing hot air across them from a distance of about two feet. I left one uncapped and the other capped, but not tightly. As a reminder, they were intially filled with half PG and half BHO/everclear.

Progress.

When I returned home from work yesterday the uncapped vial was close to about 50% less in volume!! The loosely capped 2nd vial was pretty much unchanged.

I then uncapped the second vial and this time marked a line indicating the volume on both vials to judge if any progress is being made.

This morning the 2nd vial was about 40% less in volume while the 1st vial did not reduce any further (as judged by the line I drew). I am concluding the 1st vial is ready to go.

After work today the 2nd vial should be reduced as far as it can and then it too should be ready for action.

Trying to figure out why Trixer suggested only PG and not VG as the base for this.

ra

MacRadish,

MacRadish

Over night, no further reduction has taken place. I think I'm ready to rip. I too may need a "craash test dummy" for earlier detection of success.

MacRadish,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Damn.... Wish I was there to offer my crash test dummy services LOL!! Good luck! We're all ears here!

Lo,

Survivalism

Weapon Enthusiast
Cant wait to see if you have success with this.. im an oil head now so it only makes sense to try this if someone else can get it working.

Survivalism,

MacRadish

Survivalism said:
Cant wait to see if you have success with this.. im an oil head now so it only makes sense to try this if someone else can get it working.
I didn't want to mess with it until I'm in the presence of a couple lightweights.

Tentatively scheduled for tonight.

I transferred the *e-juice* from the two glass vials to a standard e-juice dropper bottle. I yielded about 12ml in total with the PG. Next trip around I will take more accurate volume/weight readings before, during and after. I started with a guestimate of about 10 ml of PG.

I'll be grabbing a couple of CR123 batts to have on hand to allow 6V vaping just in case 3V is not cutting it. Although, that vape-pen site states their atomizers fire at a lower temperature then an e-cig, but we don't exactly know the composition of the e-juice that is used at that lower temp.

Got a nice stock of 801 and 510 atomizers and plenty of filler material.

Psyched.

MacRadish,

Lo

I'm excited for you MacR!!! Can't wait for the report :D Wishing you success!!!!!!!

Lo,

jrcortez

MacRadish said:
jrcortez said:
I then added 15 ml of vegetable glycerine.
Trixer used PG, any reason you chose VG?
I chose to use VG instead of PG because I have found that VG based, or cut, juices have less of a throat hit which I like and produce noticeably more vapor which helps me have a closer feeling to analog smoking.

MacRadish said:
jrcortez said:
I slowly brought the mixture to a boil which unlike Trixer's directions wasnt until about 185F where it was remaining constant.
Which could be explained by the PG/VG difference.
At first I thought this as well but ruled it very improbable because neither at Trixer's suggested 148.5F nor at my 185F is the VG or PG going threw a phase change. When initially brought to a boil the only component of the mixture that is actually boiling, and going threw a phase change, is the alcohol and water. Everything else is merely spectators in the heating process and will not begin to boil until there boiling points are reached (554F for VG and 315F for hash oil). I actually think Trixer had a typo when he said 148.5F was the temperature needed to boil the vodka (184.5F may be what was intended). 148.5F is lower than the boiling point of grain alcohol so there is no way everclear, being 95% grain alcohol, would boil at that temp. Ethanol's boiling point is 173F and water's is 212F so a mixture thereof, which everclear is, would have a boiling point somewhere in between there.

@MacRadish
I'm so excited for you bro and can't wait to see how your batch turned out. I'm a little confused by your process though. You said you extracted your BHO directly into 2 fl oz (60 ml) of everclear which most likely yielded you around 65 ml of BHO/everclear mixture after the butane evaporated. You then said you made a 50/50 mixture of this solution and PG. This would mean you added 65 ml of PG (or around there). However, you later concluded that you started with 10 ml of PG in the mixture which is not a 50/50 mixture of BHO/everclear and PG. Can you clarify this for me?

jrcortez,

MacRadish

jrcortez said:
@MacRadish
I'm so excited for you bro and can't wait to see how your batch turned out. I'm a little confused by your process though. You said you extracted your BHO directly into 2 fl oz (60 ml) of everclear which most likely yielded you around 65 ml of BHO/everclear mixture after the butane evaporated. You then said you made a 50/50 mixture of this solution and PG. This would mean you added 65 ml of PG (or around there). However, you later concluded that you started with 10 ml of PG in the mixture which is not a 50/50 mixture of BHO/everclear and PG. Can you clarify this for me?
I'll try. I'll reiterate I never did a BHO extraction and I'm sure my process can be much more refined as I move forward with this e-joint/stealth testing.

First, I did not measure the amount of Everclear I started with, that was a total guesstimate. I just splashed some into the catch basin as all I wanted to accomplish here was to pre dissolve the BHO into the everclear and skip Trixer's eyedropper technique. I'm probably way off with that measurement. I was thinking that knowing the exact amount at the start wasn't important since the goal was to get rid of it anyway. I did pay attention to the amounts added to the vials so I can tell whether or not the everclear is leaving.

After the tane boiled off I let it sit for about an hour and some everclear furher evaporated, making the volume even less.

I have 10ml glass vials. I filled two of them with 5ml (eyeballed half full) of PG and topped them off with the BHO/everclear mixutre that I eyedroppered right out of the catch basin. There was some BHO/everclear mixture leftover (guess about 3ml which I added to the glass vials after some evaporaton took place). So it seems I got about 13ml of the BHO/everclear mixture. The rest is pretty much like I described ealier, letting it evaporate with hot air blowing across the open vials. This is where I thought the amounts played a role. I expected to see half the volume go away and it did, thereby concluding I successfully transferred the essence to the PG.

After that, I transferred the "THe-juice" to a standard plastic e-juice dropper bottle. 7.5ml to the brim with of course some left over that I stashed in the fridge for a rainy day.

I hope that's a little clearer on how I made the e-juice.

One downside I did not post that I discovered yesterday. When chilled and held to the light, you can definitely see some separation. So, I made sure to keep the juice warm prior to the test.

I was forming thoughts on last nights adventure/test when I saw your post and decided to reply to it first.

One word on last nights test....

Success!

Two more...

Big time.

MacRadish,

MacRadish

Still forming thoughts about last night, I should have taken notes.

I gave my co-workers a laugh when they read the label I affixed to the dropper bottle.

e-juiTH

Crash test dummy #1 says what about "THe-juice" ?
Crash test dummy #2 then says what about "mm-juice" for medical marijuana ?

The jury is still out on a name.

:-)

MacRadish,

MacRadish

Oh man...

It works just fine.

Crash test dummy (CTD) #2, who at the last minute declined to partake in the test, got a contact buzz 2 hours into the test. I asked him "for sure?" and he glanced around the room as if he was checking out trails from an acid trip and looked back at me with a smile and said "oh yeah".

CTD #1 got Ripped. Capital R. His last partakage was over a month ago and after draw #5 he declared his toastedness. At this early stage of the test we declared success.

It went down like this.

I tried first.

Brief background. I quit tobacco a few years ago and only recently got interested in the e-cig thing to help my wife get off the "analogs". Been combusting TH since '69 with a few years of abstinence during military service. Got legal for bad arthritis, quit combusting and turned to vaping earlier this year.

So,,,,,I was expecting the vapor to taste something similar to what I taste when hitting my SSV, or even to taste like the smell of the BHO/PG itself. Nope, and totally shocked! It tastes like I'm BURNING hash in a regular pipe with a flame. Good hash. At first I was taken aback, it took my brain a second to recognize the flavor because of it not being what I expected. It tasted like burning hash, no doubt. Then a fast thought process occurred which ruled out any notion of actual combustion happening, like "wait a minute, there's no fire". Pull #2, mmmm, smooth, extremely RICH, hash tasting, warm, vapor. Pop off cartridge, inspect, looks/smells ok, look up at my buddies, smile and said "this is gonna work" and passed it to CTD #1 still in kind of a shock about the taste.

We had a lot of fun. CTD#1 declared he was the highest he's ever been and became fascinated with the handcarved vaper genie I brought along (in case of failure) and is now considering one for his quick escapes from reality. He doesn't do plant matter very well, never rolled a joint, etc, and would rather keep it as simple as taking a pill.

I used a total of 27 drops. 20 to intially charge/saturate the 801 cartridge. 5 drops more during and 2 drops on a spare 801 atomizer as a "direct drip" test (which also worked well). The cartridge is still hitting today. *puff* *puff*. I did not have time to find two CR123 to try 6 volt vaping, but testing is not over. :-). I failed to count total pulls between us,,,, er,,,,,,,, more like,,,,,,,, I started counting total hits but spaced out and didn't keep counting and therefore lost track of the total. Total session of about 4 hours of not-constant vaping.

That's it for now, just wanted to get that out there.

Merry Christmas.

MacRadish,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
With 4100 views I'd say a lot of people are interested. This is by far the most viewed thread in Ask FC. :brow:

The Vape-pen looks cool and I'd love to try one but I tend to agree with the e-cig experts that V-P liquid is the real accomplishment. It's too bad they won't share much info on its ingredients or the process used, considering that using any other liquid voids the warranty and you can only buy it a few places in California.

Rest assured, when you guys figure this out it's going to be huge. World wide. :rockon:

vtac,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
That's kinda funny about the sticker. Are the 84mm attys you found stainless steel?

Our atomizers are constructed of surgical stainless steel and are RoHS certified. all components are made in an ISO 9001 certified factory with strict quality assurance. The Vape Pen is assembled and tested in the USA.
So, pretty safe to say they're available from some Chinese supplier. Definitely a few people here who could reprogram one with the right equipment.

I'm still convinced that using a good concentrate like BHO could be key with the liquid. Wonder what would happen if you filled the pie plate with VG/PG before blasting the 'tane. Too bad FC labs isn't a reality yet... I'm hoping for late 2015. :D

:science:

vtac,

Lo

I've been following this thread too!! I also tried some experimental stuff with my e-cigs. I had come to the conclusion that BHO might provide the strength needed as my early attempts just weren't potent enough and yes the oils do funk up the attys.

I have been using the e-cigs for awhile now and chatting with other users on the forums. The blu & volcano types get REALLY low points from users with most moving on to other models. You might hit up some of the e-cig forums or holler at me if you want links for parts. My attys are all ROHS SS :)

I did PG/VG versions as well as everclear tinctures mixed. While I could get them to work I just felt they weren't strong enough to bother but DAMN I want to be able to make it work well. I'm not in an MMJ state so no hopes of getting the Vape-Pen liquid here.... It's DIY or none at all!!

Thanks and I look forward to seeing your experiments progress. I'm still hoping to try the BHO process too.

Lo,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I do use the 510 quite regularly, and the L88b and 510 parts are compatible,so I usually put the L88b atty/cart on the 510 battery. I noticed the 510 atty is more sensitive, and I have gone through several of them trying to make this VG liquid work, but there is more room for liquid in the 510 cart. I know most forums have been giving poor review from the L88b models (blu mostly) I prefer the volcano myself, but if you are just starting out, and want something basic with less expensive replacement parts or If you plan to experiment and might "ruin" the atty's, they are two for $10 with free shipping from blu, volcano has a similar price but charges shipping, and take a bit of abuse before they fail. The cheapest I have seen the 510 atty is $7 with shipping unless you buy them in bulk. . I would like the battery life to be better on the L88b, but I have a few, so I just regularly swap them out. I also like the smaller size of the L88b. Since I cut my liquid it had been reacting much better, and I haven't killed my fresh atty yet. I suspect I will just have to clean it regularly to prevent the oils from building up too much inside the coil.

lo, If you would be willing to post any links for parts in this thread, I would be grateful...

jambandphan03,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I found a good mod for the cart that I have been using for the last few weeks, with very good results, it's a different material than the pollyfill that comes with the carts.
Here is a link to a thread about it:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...-foam-plug-updated-v2-0-slug-search-over.html
I spent a few days reading thread after thread about how other people have been using this mod, and their concerns about it being safe and how well it works. I decided to test it out. The main thing is to get the right filter (found mine at petsmart), and be sure to wash the filter with hot water before you use it, that's what I did, and I didn't notice any strange flavors and the atty has not been cooking it, like it did with the pollyfill fibers that sometimes stuck down into the atty, making that nasty burned taste. It seems to hold the liquid better, and it wicks really well. It's easy to clean, and is reusable. The package I got has 3 large filters in it, and i have only had to cut very small pieces off of one to fit in the carts so my supply should last a very long time. Cut them just a little bigger than the space inside cart so you have to scrunch it down a little, they will spring back up and fill the gaps along the sides which helps prevent leaking when you fill it. I haven't checked to see if there are other threads about this mod here on this forum, but there are many other threads out there aside from the one I posted the link to if anyone is curious enough to do the search.

jambandphan03,

nickzzzx

This is super interesting to me. I've been following it.

If I had the more funds or free time I would certainly experiment with various extracts and concentrations.
I can imagine when the legal cannabis industry starts forming in a few years, this could become a very popular way to use cannabis if these e-cig tinctures are created on a larger scale and sold all over. Just amagine how easy, stealthy, affordable, effective, and efficient these e-cigs, made specifically for cannabis, can be.
It's pretty exciting to me!

nickzzzx,
Top Bottom