Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

k0udek

I would like to know how the Ascent handles hash too..if someone can test it, please let us know!

k0udek,

OziDV8

I burn some Bubble bag hash and mull it through a bud cocktail put it in my Da Vinci. I use an al foil cap, fold tin foil cut to just a bit bigger than the chamber top, poke 4 or 5 small holes cook at 375 till just start vaping then gently push cap down couple of mm and get a good session out of that. Then next bake 390 which toasts me nicely, push cap down a bit through the session does not loose heat so quick because of cap so opening no problem. I fill chamber loosely with three pinches. Always the taste is wicked and leaves a lovely after taste. I use little brush as push down tool and to get foil back out.
P.S you should hear a nice sizzle like water hitting pan on first push I hope this works with the Ascent as well since mine turns up next week it's already posted but I live way out back so my Da Vince will keep me happy till then lol.

Last edited:

jivebuggered

I dont know about the ascent, but i use the original da vinci to vape moroccan hash in the oil can. Dont grind them up into dust. I usually heat it up a bit and use a metal grinder. It usually doesnt stick, but do it quickly before the hash cools down inside the grinder.
Just put the bigger pieces (not too big) at the bottom. As far as temp i used 205 c. Atleast start it out hot and if it gets too harsh lower the temp a bit. That being said im not an expert and i only vaped hash a few times. Maybe different hash will need diff temp.
Yiu should try it out. I hope u got good tasting hash, because moroccan hash tastes heavenlywhen vaporized.

Friggin` hell, quote " I usually heat it up a bit and use a metal grinder. It usually doesnt stick, but do it quickly before the hash cools down inside the grinder." The hash must be mighty big where you live to use a metal grinder??!! Fuck me!! When i think hash i think 1-5 grams (the 5 being big!) Lots of "bubble hash" around lately from fair to decent quality. Lot more growers getting some spare cash me thinks from there all weird season crops waste.
I have always used tobacco in my early combustion days. Now of course with vaping i usually use a drop of oil or small crumbs of hash sprinkled on top of loose in the Solo or in the Extreme Q (for a larger crowd generally). As long as you always never fill higher then the top of the cone (with the Solo) or it may stick and burn on the heater in the Solo. With the Extreme Q i would normally put the first layer (closest to heater) in, then the crumbs or oil last, sometimes i might then put a little more loose on top of that making a sort of sandwich, likewise with the Solo. If you put the hash or whatever closer to the heater it can cause combustion from the hash heating like a hot coal and igniting the loose.
Has this ever happened to other members??
It is a total bastard and stinks like the crappiest ash tray you ever tasted. It contaminates the whole piping and has to be replaced. You THEN REALIZE just how shitty combustion is!!

jivebuggered,
Reactions: Tracido

Tracido

Tried the oil canister, nothing but silicone and nicely cooked stuff but no vape. I ordered 200 glass screen jacks should do the trick if this thing works at all, if not it goes back for a replacement.

Tracido,

jivebuggered

Tried the oil canister, nothing but silicone and nicely cooked stuff but no vape. I ordered 200 glass screen jacks should do the trick if this thing works at all, if not it goes back for a replacement.
Did the oil can have two holes drilled? If it didn`t all it was going to do is "bake". When you say silicon did you leave the jar covers on with mull in jars or oil?

Im still unsure wether it`s better with mull under jar (with no lid and two aligning holes in) or in the jar? Anyone else done? Personally if Da Vinci want to save a bit they should just drill two holes in one of two jars they supply with the unit. It works for reducing the amount wether you pack it under or in the jar. As mentioned earlier the jar takes about a Solo cones worth which is what i measure with for economy.

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Two posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:
jivebuggered,

cawshook

Solod out.
Friggin` hell, quote " I usually heat it up a bit and use a metal grinder. It usually doesnt stick, but do it quickly before the hash cools down inside the grinder." The hash must be mighty big where you live to use a metal grinder??!! Fuck me!! When i think hash i think 1-5 grams (the 5 being big!) Lots of "bubble hash" around lately from fair to decent quality. Lot more growers getting some spare cash me thinks from there all weird season crops waste.
I have always used tobacco in my early combustion days. Now of course with vaping i usually use a drop of oil or small crumbs of hash sprinkled on top of loose in the Solo or in the Extreme Q (for a larger crowd generally). As long as you always never fill higher then the top of the cone (with the Solo) or it may stick and burn on the heater in the Solo. With the Extreme Q i would normally put the first layer (closest to heater) in, then the crumbs or oil last, sometimes i might then put a little more loose on top of that making a sort of sandwich, likewise with the Solo. If you put the hash or whatever closer to the heater it can cause combustion from the hash heating like a hot coal and igniting the loose.
Has this ever happened to other members??
It is a total bastard and stinks like the crappiest ash tray you ever tasted. It contaminates the whole piping and has to be replaced. You THEN REALIZE just how shitty combustion is!!
Haha, I didnt get the joke at first. Sorry english isnt my first language + I'm a little slow sometimes. Im still not 100% sure if its a joke. lol, but if it is it would be a double entendre:tup:

cawshook,

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
HAHAHA!!! i wish!!! between the inability of the unit to stand on it's own, ...the tiny glass flowers with the pointy stems do work very well (better than my experiment with cotton and way better than no spacer/reducer at all), but i have noticed that the straight "stem" my glass flowers had is bending some... so the Ascent bowl is getting the load hot enough to make the glass stem soft and can be bent.

Yes to the stand. @Adobewan and I were tossing around a few designs for a charging/loading stand. But then bright shinny things came around to distract us...

Are you sure you aren't just noticing bent stems you haven't seen before? 430° is a looooooooog way away from >2600°.

This is what I envision as the ideal purpose-made Ascent bowl spacer.

ldfpjSK.png

Can someone explain this to me?
Sorry, all I can see are tick-tac-to boards. ;)

So many mixed reviews here. I dont know what to do. If anyone can help me by answering the following questions it would be much appreciated.
-does the device itself produce a strong smell?
-does the battery really last as long as they say it does?
-how big is the bowl?

> does the device itself produce a strong smell?

Nope. The product INSIDE it does.
:rofl:

I think the device is a bit stinky if I hold it up next to my nose (not in use...just the device + residue). Can't smell a unit in my pocket if that is your question. But in use (use -- not the device itself, but stuff coming out), not so much. Keep in mind there are other variables, like what you have in there. Or, if you like high temps (big clouds) you're going to be a lot more "noticeable" than vaping at lower temps.

> does the battery really last as long as they say it does?

I don't think anyone has had a chance to really test out v1.1 yet.

But, keep in mind that almost NO product lives up to battery life, as those are usually predictions from optimal usage.

Again, behavior has a lot to do with it. Someone burning giant bowls at 430° constantly Is not going to get the same life I will doing tiny bowls at 60° below that. Or ambient temp affects how much energy must be expended for thermal recovery on a freshly hit bowl. Etc. Etc.

> -how big is the bowl?
I updated the wiki yesterday with the dimensions for the oval, but forgot to get height. I'll try to remember that later.

Now, anyone can take exception to my position.

Okay. I'll bite here.
:D

but it is just as conjectural to jump to the conclusion that a member's technique is at fault.

I'll call in to question the equivocation.

Albeit, there will always be some issues with manufacturing, the single largest variable is user behavior. That applies to any device. Not just vapes.

I've used quite a few of these units, and taught number of friends how to use them and everyone has a different set of techniques (it's not just air intake as you suggest, but things like packing, grinding, quality of product, etc). Heck, I was "Mr. Grind'n'tear-was-good-enough-for-granpappy-so-good-enough-for-me" and I saw a performance increase when I finally gave into to grinding.

Or look at the fact that dreamerr, OF, and myself have all used the same exact unit with a variety of results. (none of us were in the same room, so we couldn't "instruct one another.") The human variable is always a big one.

Are there still a few units that have issues? Looks like it. But I think you seriously underestimate the impact user variability can have.

C'mon ...levitating pucks, elusive vapor, McGyver glass bandages, drilling jars, anemic battery?

Agreed. Of course the first 4 things you mention are all basically the same issue. (The last one I addressed in the previous sentence.)

DV has some solutions for the first four things. In the mean time, I am really liking the glass flower solution. The efficiency is vastly improved.

As I mentioned , the larger bowl, by design,will facilitate sharing. I've been out and about with a LARGE number of friends recently. (not all vape, but was cool those of us that did could do so out in the open and no one looked twice). I like that I could throw in more glass when it is just a couple of us, but then reload with less or no glass when there are many more. So that's REALLY modular, in the sense I can use 0-10, dependent upon the circumstance. Is it a pain to work with the glass flower? At first maybe, but now it's just an extra step.

I'll take that extra step as a fair trade for having much greater flexibility.

But, I'm keen to see and play with DV's solutions. It might not be as modular/granular as the flowers, but possibly a better solution for when I know it is just going to be me on the Ascent.

Cheers
:cheers:

=======================================
EDIT: Not trying to "blame the user" here, but point out the fact that we all do things slightly differently. That's one of the things that has allowed us to excel as a species.

But I could give y'all the recipe for peanut-butter and jelly sandwiches, ask 10 of you to make them, and get 9 different sammichs back. [9 not 10, 'cause I KNOW one of you is gonna dip fingers into the peanut butter and then not stop until there is nothing left for sammiches.]
:) :) :)

Last edited:

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
Got a response from DV today saying the OR DV car charger WILL work in the Ascent. Just placed an order for that and another set of jars after talking to a glass guy today. He said my Dremel metal cone bit is the correct one to put small holes in the bottom. Mount the jar in clay to eliminate any vibration. Wet bath, he suggested auto coolant. Slow speed. Heat and vibration is what will break the glass. Worth a try for $10. Was going to get the charger anyhow.

RD,
Reactions: nigel

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Can someone explain this to me?
Sorry, all I can see are tick-tac-to boards.
Heh, you've got it basically. Just imagine a 3x2 or 4x2 grid. Then make it 3D, with each cell now a cube rather than a square. Envision the walls as ceramic or glass, add holes in them and trim the bottom- and side-facing edges to match the curve of the bowl so that it fits in perfectly.

I suppose this essentially creates 6 or 8 mini-bowls within the bowl.

Last edited:

Tracido

Did the oil can have two holes drilled? If it didn`t all it was going to do is "bake". When you say silicon did you leave the jar covers on with mull in jars or oil?

Oh, yeah I figured, I just wanted to try something since I have to wait on the glass screen jacks. The taste is clear and from the lid of the oil canister. Still, I just flamed the baked goods after it as it was better than wasting them altogether. Not going to drill my glass. lol Not touching it until the spacers arrive. Volcano till then.

Tracido,

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
Heh, you've got it basically. Just imagine a 3x2 or 4x2 grid. Then make it 3D, with each cell now a cube rather than a square. Envision the walls as ceramic or glass, add holes in them and trim the bottom- and side-facing edges to match the curve of the bowl so that it fits in perfectly.

I suppose this essentially creates 6 or 8 mini-bowls within the bowl.

Interesting. I guess that maintains a HIGH level of surface area, which is what the flowers do.

Tracido

Interesting. I guess that maintains a HIGH level of surface area, which is what the flowers do.
Reminds me I grabbed some 7-9mm honeycomb glass screens too have you or anyone tried those? My apologies if it's been covered.

Tracido,
Reactions: nigel

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀

I spoke a diff language:D....I thought that is how I explained it to you:shrug: but added to his design with a down piece like the flowers to create the air tunnels that you and OF spoke about. :huh:

Globbs

It seems my ascent is only getting better with age. The more use it gets the better it performs. It really feels like a portable desktop powered vape.
I wonder if some peoples troubles come from technique, material or both. Vapor quality and production should be consistent with the materials used. I justed vaped a load of well cured medium grounf white widow. I consider this batch grade A top shelf nug and it produces amazing vapor.
I can report thay kief and the ascent are a great combo. I just layered some in with the herb like a sandwich. Results were outstanding! It really boosted the density of the vapor. Tomorrow i get to try some bubble hash.

HighMtnSkier

Waiting for winter
I just noticed that there's a magnet in the lower chamber (right over the dimple). This makes me feel even better about keeping this in a pocket without spilling a load.

It seems my ascent is only getting better with age. The more use it gets the better it performs. It really feels like a portable desktop powered vape.

My battery was running a little low, so I decided to plug it in during this session. So in essence it really is a portable desktop powered vape. Love the quote in your avatar btw.

OF

I just noticed that there's a magnet in the lower chamber (right over the dimple). This makes me feel even better about keeping this in a pocket without spilling a load.

Actually there are two, one in the swinging part, its mate in the main body above. They were there on the originals (at least the one I was loaned), my guess is they were there even before the external latch.

OF

Custom Flower Hardware

Manufacturer
The quickest way I reload is with pre loaded oil jars. Just pack the hell out of it, dump it in (use the tool) after I dump out the bad and good to go again. That is, I don't use the glass flowers. I'm already extremely happy with how it works on its own. IMO if you need to use something that didn't come with the vape to get vapor, send it back. This thing IS possible to get great production without paying out of pocket to get it to work properly. Send it back until they get you one that works how its supposed to. Don't settle
I'd have to agree Razor. I get monster vapor from this thing and IMO it is just proper technique. I am a fan and had the OG DV when it was released and couldn't get squat out of it. Davinci then recommended using the oil can as a tamper. Not too hard a pack, but just enough plus its a perfect fit (hence oil jar/ascent) I find that a playing card slides the weed in there cleanly with no hassle. I know this is an extra accessory to carry but I use some kinda case for all my vapes he he, investments:) While the oil jar is on top of the weed for the tamp I blow on it to get any extra from off the black part as not to gunk it up over time. Then I do a 370/3, 390/4, and 420/3 min cycle. With this I get four ten minute sessions and the battery just turns to half charge. I never take it down more because I have no need to before I'm back at the charger (again, please only use the proper charger with the proper vape!!! Thanks guys:tup:) To close, I prally ran this thing about 60 times without a blink before I decided to clean it and when I pulled out the glass I was amazed to see how clean the inside was, PERFECT! There was no crumb, oil, res, anything which speaks volumes of the seal and pure vapor path. I soaked the glass in iso for a few hours then everything was new. (purchase another glass set so while it's soaking, you can be vaping) The bowl is a different story, but nothing a toothpick and iso wipe wont fix. I think this is my new favorite. I still love my Cera and Solo but WOOWEE DAVINCI, Thanks for the ASCENT!!:clap:

Last edited:

jivebuggered

Oh, yeah I figured, I just wanted to try something since I have to wait on the glass screen jacks. The taste is clear and from the lid of the oil canister. Still, I just flamed the baked goods after it as it was better than wasting them altogether. Not going to drill my glass. lol Not touching it until the spacers arrive. Volcano till then.

I had a couple of spare jars just drilled for $20. As mentioned before this is the kind of windscreen REPAIR (drive to you) business and there are plenty around you best to try and get them when they are not super busy. It took about 10 mins each max done with me with a rubber lined pliers holding it while she drilled the holes with no lube. Shit I gotta stop a min Im gettin` myself hot!!.
I agree that i should not have to ADD anything to a product i bought to do a job however I think a lot of us a guilty adding stuff and doing modifications for whatever reason so i guess no big deal if i gotta pay a extra $10 each i have spent shitloads more then that on some really weird shit ideas over the years !!!

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
I had a couple of spare jars just drilled for $20. As mentioned before this is the kind of windscreen REPAIR (drive to you) business and there are plenty around you best to try and get them when they are not super busy. It took about 10 mins each max done with me with a rubber lined pliers holding it while she drilled the holes with no lube. Shit I gotta stop a min Im gettin` myself hot!!.
I agree that i should not have to ADD anything to a product i bought to do a job however I think a lot of us a guilty adding stuff and doing modifications for whatever reason so i guess no big deal if i gotta pay a extra $10 each i have spent shitloads more then that on some really weird shit ideas over the years !!!

Still two holes? Did she drill from the bottom or from the inside? What type of drill bit, speed? Hand held or a drill press? I'd gladly pay $10 to get one modified. Same as you, the eng. in us.

Last edited:
RD,

OziDV8

I modify nearly everything I own from over clocking my laptops processor or adding air lockers to my 4x4 the product works stock but works better pimped like most things in life lol

Razor

Just imagine if it worked great BEFORE you modded it. Not saying not to, just saying you shouldn't need to for it to work as intended. I know its possible now after having the first and second unit. I mod everything I have almost but not before I make sure its working how its supposed to first. If you're not getting vapor at whatever temp I was talking about before, then instead of modifying first, I'd get a replacement, make sure its vaping like normal and then mod it. At least to the point of the vapor production from a good review unit from you tube. I was lucky enough to have one that was able to until the bath died. Sending it in today.

Mine did get yellow from resin (on the glass only), but I find the natural buildup keeps the product from coming through. Atm, I only clean the top stem for this reason.

Razor,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
If you pack it full and get nothing, then there is a problem. If you pack it lightly and get no vapor, then that is user error, mostly. This thing works as intended, maybe not just like all of US intend. It is intended to vape a full bowl. The smaller loads come from those of us that want smaller loads...we get to mod. There's nothing wrong with that. Could DV come up with some spacers that work great and broaden the unit's appeal? Probably. But I defy you to show me a vape that didn't get modded by this community.

The mflb is a fantastic product that has had many changes since release due to the company responding to our modifications. The PNPro still needs a good bullet holder for travel. I have Ed's stem for my Solo for safer travel and mating with glass. OK, maybe my vapor genies don't need modding, but I still have taken that cap and modded it to bongs for water rips. I have custom glass for my Extreme. I put an air filter in the bottom of my Cloud to reduce the noise. I made an entire ghetto rig for my Sublimator. I have a custom carb tube for my PD's. The entire log vape industry is fiddling with various VVPS systems. The FlashVape has had countless manufacturer mods making it appeal to more users. The VAP2 is perfect as it is. And this is just from what I own.

So let's get off the 'DV fucked up and I shouldn't have to fuck with it' bandwagon. This is nothing unusual in the industry and most people like fiddling with their vapes. If you don't like vapes being released and then improved as time goes on, then you need to either combust, use a Volcano, Vapolution2 or the VaporGenie. But you can say goodbye to innovation and things like portable digital temp control, because all of those vapes are ancient.

GanjabredMan

Legalize it, I am NOT a criminal.
I might be banned for saying this...
I sold my pax for a Ascent, but I spent the money.
So I started combusting again, now I have to wait until payday. The only problem is that I dont have a job.
:doh:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
So let's get off the '[$manufacturer] fucked up and I shouldn't have to fuck with it' bandwagon. This is nothing unusual in the industry and most people like fiddling with their vapes. If you don't like vapes being released and then improved as time goes on, then you need to either combust, use a Volcano, Vapolution2 or the VaporGenie. But you can say goodbye to innovation and things like portable digital temp control, because all of those vapes are ancient.

This in spades.

I might be banned for saying this...
I sold my pax for a Ascent, but I spent the money.
So I started combusting again, now I have to wait until payday. The only problem is that I dont have a job.
:doh:

You won't get banned for saying that but you will be mocked mercilessly. :mental:

Top Bottom