Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery

Well, it *worked* didn't it?
:p

I've talked to vtac about this an other bugs in the forum software. For now, that (or PMing a notice) is a work around. I personally hate when I read something, then only by accident realize that more was added/changed that I almost missed.

nigel,
Reactions: Snappo

EasyBake

It does? From everything that I have read here, if one uses a small amount without any kind of spacer or weights, the bud gets sucked up off the bottom of the vape and will not vape properly. Are you saying that this is not the case and that everyone here who has reported this, is just reporting..........Bullshit?

There are a lot of long time FC veterans here whom you just accused of not telling the truth and the fact that this is coming from a newbie with 6 posts here, I find it all kind of odd.

I don't mean to incite the wrath of long-time FC'ers. I have alot of respect for everyone here as I have been following this thread for the past 3-4 months. All i can do is convey my experiences from my perspective. But I think that's part of the problem. On FC, it seems we have alot of die-hard vape guys who are going to expect a lot and are the kind of people who will figure out the slightest defects and want to improve upon them (which is not only awesome but necessary and part of the reason for version 2 and the whole QA episode. So thanks!). However, not everyone looking to these threads are going to be the die-hard vape guys (I sure wasn't) and the point of my whole posting is to help those who are just trying to gain a "perspective" of where things stand on this new product. I'm simply stating that for me and i'm sure others, this new vape is working just fine with small amounts and if that is not you're experience then that is fine, add-in you're perspective... just respect mine.

°k

The sound of vapor
Hello everyone, just got my ascent two days ago. Just made this account today. Hope I'm doing this right.

In short I had a few concerns about my ascent. In order of concern:

1. When it's on/heating up, it makes a weird ticking/clicking noise, a bit hard to describe. Is this normal or has anyone else experienced the same?

2. When looking at the bowl, it looks like the silicone surrounding it at the top isn't evenly spaced. Almost looks like a small part of the bowl is covered and the other side is uncovered. When inserting the glass containers it doesn't fall our easily because if the imbalance. I can probably provide pictures of this at s later time.

3. The plastic/glass(?) Screen covering the LCD display moves around s little bit when touched, is that normal or something to be concerned about?

That's everything I can think of at the moment. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
I got number 2 and 3 but haven't noticed number 1.

So, allow to put my 2 cents in for the vape nubs (which I'm part of btw).

I recently got my ascent (first vape ever, had never tried any before) and kinda struggled with it the first couple of days... hardly had any vapor with .1g and had to put it on super high (420°) to get some flimsy vapor...
I tried to pack tighter with .2g and it got "slightly" better. I thought my material wasn't good enough so I've noobily put a couple drop of water on it before packing it tight in the bowl, at first I got a bit of vapor then nothing, and noticed it wasn't packed tight inside any more...
I've bought glass gauzes but unfortunately they're too big to fit in the oven... then I decided to try with some bubble H (I believe this is how you guys call it, it's basically the kind that comes from north Morocco), as I didn't want to get the oven dirty I've put it in a glass can with no lid, but hardly got anything out of it even on 430°.
I was really disappointed at myself for pulling the trigger on such an expensive device and not being able to get any satisfying result, far from it actually plus I was wondering if I didn't get a refurbished unit as the black paint on the "metal" parts was already scratched and the box wasn't looking new at all...
Then I got what I'd call a genius idea! I know that sounds pretentious but I got some pretty good results. I decided to make an H screen! so made a small and flat oval that I put on top of the material in the oven and I started to get a bit more vapor, the "chocolate topping" was working!!
Now this is where it becomes important for us noobs, this vape also depends on the technique you use to puff, slow sips will get me some decent vapor at 385° and I'm pretty sure I can improve my technique, the flavor is quite amazing for someone who was still smoking 5 days ago and the effect isn't bad at all (I don't have top notch stash).

Bottom line, don't give up guys, find something to keep it at the bottom of the oven and work on your technique, you'll get there! :tup:

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker
Re-read your own post and see if you extended the respect to others that you demand for yourself:
I keep seeing this as a recurring theme. I think people on here expect some golden-encrusted jesus vape that cures all their previous woes. Take it for what it is. It's an excellent handheld portable vape with a large capacity. You don't NEED a spacer to get the job done. The device heats evenly and works just fine with small amounts of material. Alot of people just want perfection. Sure, I'm also one of the people who bought the glass flowers and i've tried them and in my opinion it produces MORE vapor, HOWEVER, does this vape not work effectively without it? Is this really what the consensus is? Bullshit.

It works great without the need for a spacer and either way i'm in for a good session...

With that said, i'd still like to see this as an accessory in the future and look forward to it.

I don't mean to incite the wrath of long-time FC'ers. I have alot of respect for everyone here as I have been following this thread for the past 3-4 months. All i can do is convey my experiences from my perspective. But I think that's part of the problem. On FC, it seems we have alot of die-hard vape guys who are going to expect a lot and are the kind of people who will figure out the slightest defects and want to improve upon them (which is not only awesome but necessary and part of the reason for version 2 and the whole QA episode. So thanks!). However, not everyone looking to these threads are going to be the die-hard vape guys (I sure wasn't) and the point of my whole posting is to help those who are just trying to gain a "perspective" of where things stand on this new product. I'm simply stating that for me and i'm sure others, this new vape is working just fine with small amounts and if that is not you're experience then that is fine, add-in you're perspective... just respect mine.

Last edited:

°k

The sound of vapor
If you want others to respect your opinion, EB, than I suggest that you don't call the opinion of others.........bullshit. Of course, that's just my opinion. :cool:
But what if his opinion is that your opinion is BS? ok I'm out...

Edit: at below (@lwien ), for what it's worth I manage to make it work decently with small amounts and as I've stated I'm still working on my technique.

Last edited:
°k,
Reactions: lwien

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
I decided to make an H screen! so made a small and flat oval that I put on top of the material in the oven and I started to get a bit more vapor, the "chocolate topping" was working!!

Can you give us a bit more information on your creation?

nigel,

°k

The sound of vapor
Can you give us a bit more information on your creation?
Well it's as simple as taking a bit of hash (the one that you can model without heating just by using your fingers) and give it an oval disc shape smaller than the size of the oven that you'll just lay flat on top of your herb. with the heat it gets a bit sticky and it doesn't seem to move and if it does it prevents the herb from moving.

Edit: "my creation", maybe that's been done before by someone else and for other purposes but as I said I'm completely new to vaping (yes I'm a bit like Columbus claiming that he discovered a new world... wow that such a bad comparison I'm beginning to dislike myself!!)

Snappo

Accessory Maker
Well it's as simple as taking a bit of hash (the one that you can model without heating just by using your fingers) and give it an oval disc shape smaller than the size of the oven that you'll just lay flat on top of your herb. with the heat it gets a bit sticky and it doesn't seem to move and if it does it prevents the herb from moving.
Sounds interesting...when heated does it get sticky and bind to the glass screen above it? Thanks!

EDIT: Please disregard my question above...you've answered it. Thanks again!

Snappo,

°k

The sound of vapor
Sounds interesting...when heated does it get sticky and bind to the glass screen above it? Thanks!
(is this orange bold font your new signature? :D)

To answer your question, it doesn't stick to the bottom of the glass screen as I really don't put much herb under it (it'd probably stick to it if it was against it but then if you pack a full bowl you don't need it, do you?). once my "sessions" are over the herb is dark brown and the disc got a lot drier (it tends to break if if I try to bend it whereas it used just to fold in two before vaping it).

My only concern with it is if the disc touches the wall of the oven wel it leaves a brown mark, I hope some iso will clean that but I don't have any. :uhoh:

°k,
Reactions: Snappo

OF

I too have not had 'flying puck failure', not that it can't happen, but since it's a conduction vape I wouldn't expect it to work all that well if the load broke contact with the oven, would you?

FWIW I too think the harping on 'it should work the way I want it to out of the box or it's trash' idea is BS. Not the people, the idea. No vape is going to be ideal for all, even the Volcano and Cloud have their (few) detractors. That's normal. And IMO a good thing.

More over, vapes of this sort (say like VB2?) generally seem pretty picky about loading and technique, I see no reason to expect Ascent to be any different here. It's a 'guy thing' to mess with this kind of stuff to start with, even if there's no need. In this case, I suggest there is a real need in many cases for modifications to address specific needs and wants? Some guys want to load smaller bowls, or vape at higher temperatures, or pull harder, or get biggest clouds at any cost and so on. Which, IMO, is also cool.

If you like the sort of features Ascents offers (warts and all), by all means consider getting one. If you want the perfect turn key vape for your dollar, more caution is advised.

Regards to all.

OF

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
Has anyone had the misfortune to break a stem, and clean it up, invert it, and use it as a cap n the herb?

RD,

°k

The sound of vapor
Has anyone had the misfortune to break a stem, and clean it up, invert it, and use it as a cap n the herb?
I haven't but stupidly enough I've tried using the small picking tool to get the bottom part of the stem out, putting that picky end in one of the holes of the glass screen, I really didn't pull hard, actually I just inclined it a bit and a smll piece of the glass screen broke immediately... Don't do this at home!

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
I haven't but stupidly enough I've tried using the small picking tool to get the bottom part of the stem out, putting that picky end in one of the holes of the glass screen, I really didn't pull hard, actually I just inclined it a bit and a smll piece of the glass screen broke immediately... Don't do this at home!

I poke mine out from the other end with my golf tee tool. Wood on glass is good.

Razor

How hard would it be to create a glade cup with a thick middle stem and holes the same place the holes in the unit are? Serious question. Seems like the easiest way to reduce bowl space while keeping heat dissipation from draws to a minimum. It would have to be the same shape as the inside while being thick enough not to break easily as well as retaining heat hopefully extending batt life as you wouldnt need to set the unit at a higher temp. The glass by the holes (after it heats up) would keep new air from getting too cold to produce vapor too quickly also cutting down time between hits.

Also you wouldn't need to worry about dumping it out and worrying about extra pieces until it needs to be cleaned. It would essentially be a thicker oil jar with a glass stem for pulling out.

My question is how hard would this be to make?

Razor,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
How hard would it be to create a glade cup with a thick middle stem and holes the same place the holes in the unit are? Serious question. Seems like the easiest way to reduce bowl space while keeping heat dissipation from draws to a minimum. It would have to be the same shape as the inside while being thick enough not to break easily as well as retaining heat hopefully extending batt life as you wouldnt need to set the unit at a higher temp. The glass by the holes (after it heats up) would keep new air from getting too cold to produce vapor too quickly also cutting down time between hits.

Also you wouldn't need to worry about dumping it out and worrying about extra pieces until it needs to be cleaned. It would essentially be a thicker oil jar with a glass stem for pulling out.

My question is how hard would this be to make?

Stem pointing upward would may be more susceptible to snagging and breaking when opening as opposed to the walls of a jar (with holes in bottom) that make an additional seal on the mating surface and are snag proof when used as a spacer on top. Just reread, would you insert your design into the bottom of the bowl first? Note the protrusion in the bottom of the bowl.. That is why a jar won't sit flush and get fully heated on the bottom if placed in an empty bowl.

RD,

Snappo

Accessory Maker
I too have not had 'flying puck failure', not that it can't happen, but since it's a conduction vape I wouldn't expect it to work all that well if the load broke contact with the oven, would you?

FWIW I too think the harping on 'it should work the way I want it to out of the box or it's trash' idea is BS. Not the people, the idea. No vape is going to be ideal for all, even the Volcano and Cloud have their (few) detractors. That's normal. And IMO a good thing.

More over, vapes of this sort (say like VB2?) generally seem pretty picky about loading and technique, I see no reason to expect Ascent to be any different here. It's a 'guy thing' to mess with this kind of stuff to start with, even if there's no need. In this case, I suggest there is a real need in many cases for modifications to address specific needs and wants? Some guys want to load smaller bowls, or vape at higher temperatures, or pull harder, or get biggest clouds at any cost and so on. Which, IMO, is also cool.

If you like the sort of features Ascents offers (warts and all), by all means consider getting one. If you want the perfect turn key vape for your dollar, more caution is advised.

Regards to all.

OF
I, for one, will wait for Davinci to improve upon what many, but not all, will consider an acceptable standard as it performs now, rather than ignore that which I believe can be made better straight from the factory and through good QC. I would not ask anyone to settle for less. Warts are one thing, defects and design flaws are quite another (which I don't claim to know with certainty, beyond usually good sense). Improvements are evidently afoot...keep it going. V1 >>> V1.2 >>> V1.3 ... Don't settle! JMO

BTW - I'm all for modifications in a big way, always have been...photo equip., race cars, planes & motorcycles, Solo, computers, telescopes, etc... all made good things even better.

And just for the record, I am always very glad to hear from VERY SATISFIED ASCENDERS!

Last edited:
Snappo,
Reactions: nigel

lwien

I have to admit
I'm not sure I got it right
But I'll keep trying

Dy5hFF4.jpg

Are we off topic yet ??

Edit: Oooooo.............just got a tracking number from DV. Being that my expectations are always on the low side, and being that I am not very opinionated and always lean to the side of peace and understanding rather than confrontation and coflict while always giving others the benefit of the doubt, I will write the most honest review of any review that has ever been posted here just because I'm a nice guy. :cool:

Last edited:

Razor

Stem pointing upward would may be more susceptible to snagging and breaking when opening as opposed to the walls of a jar (with holes in bottom) that make an additional seal on the mating surface and are snag proof when used as a spacer on top. Just reread, would you insert your design into the bottom of the bowl first? Note the protrusion in the bottom of the bowl.. That is why a jar won't sit flush and get fully heated on the bottom if placed in an empty bowl.

The stem would be recessed well below the opening. Nothing long enough to catch on anything. Also it would have to be molded to the bow so that would be accounted for. This would stay at the bottom of the bowl with the same hole placement and you would just leave it there if you wanted a smaller bowl. No having to take it out every time and such.

Basically a thicker oil jar with holes really. Would do everything everyone needs. Maybe someone will make thicker jars with holes in them as the spacer thing.

Last edited:
Razor,

HighMtnSkier

Waiting for winter
I'm having great success with my Ascent. Very happy so far. The only other vapes I've used are a Volcano (doesn't travel well), Iolite (loved it, bought 2) and the MFLB (meh...). For me this is a big improvement.

My first round, I filled the chamber, tamped it down, filled it again, and tamped it down again. I've done as little as .2 with and without cotton and a completely packed chamber. I didn't notice much difference on the smaller loads with the cotton. My only gripe is my unit shuts off after 20 minutes and a fully firmly loaded chamber is lasting me about 45 minutes. The only thing I need to figure out is how I can reload my Ascent faster. :)

I love that I can charge it and use it at the same time. I took it for a 90 minute drive today and plugged the wall wart right into the inverter when the battery started to get low.

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
By the way, just because I keep harping on holes in jars for spacers, that doesn't mean I am dissatisfied with my Ascent. Contraire! Completely ecstatic with it and the way DV has handled the evolution of the Ascent. Finding FC has done nothing other than help an old combustor get the most out of both my EQ and now my Ascent.
So much about technique of draw, load size, temp, additional conduction through glass pieces. Enough variables to keep a statistician busy for quite a while. Point being, lots of different results from basically the same unit. Yes there may even be variations in some of the units and defects should be handled as such. But the way to get the most out of these, is for us to continue to share our experiences. Just think of all the people who don't have the advantage we do on FC. Some of us will always try to improve upon a product, and if successful, mahalo for sharing.

I hope that someone representing DV acknowledges that they are or are not considering some form of spacer, just to quell the rumors.

Top Bottom