Ascent Vaporizer by DaVinci

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
I like the beer cozy idea, RD...:)

My only concern is...would it heat up the unit a little more than it should? Could that potentially cause problems with the electronics if it gets a little too hot internally from being inside a zippered bag with just the straw sticking out?
Have always used the cozy to carry my combustible glass and lighter and just put the Ascent in as I am just converting to vape. I have not tried it with the unit in the cozy and just pulled the straw out once when not on (making a mental note, "that's neat"), but you bring up a good point. Short duration only I would think. Remember, the high end of this is 430. I would think 360-370 in bag is no worse.

RD,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Neoprene breaths and IMO it shouldn't be an issue but I can be wrong. I use foam that is porous in my solo cup that I made. I have pulled it out and felt to see if the heat was the same as out of the cup and to my hand it is. Give it a feel test if you are concerned. You can also put some really small holes in the bottom if you think that will help. The ascent gets really hot more so then most vapes but a slight bit less to my hand then the DV so I would def test with this vape. I would think as long as the hot air has someone to go and you don't choke it, it should be ok.

Dreamerr,
Reactions: Snappo

evolutunes

So my Ascent arrived in the uk yesterday. This is my first ever vaporiser. having spent 2 weeks research on here I decided the ascent would suit my needs best.

I've done around 4 loads but can't seem to get me anywhere near where I would with a joint. Ive tried a fully packed chamber, which ain't cheap here in London, as well as smaller packed loads with and without the oil jar. I've read some people on here saying a fully packed chamber would last multiple sessions whereas I didn't appear to get anything out after 10 min session. I was doing the step up programme. Starting 380 up to 415 at the end.

I've ordered some flowers to help but any other suggestions welcome as I don't wanna go back to smoking.

Thanks

evolutunes,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
Test complete. Cozy No Problem IMO. Small load at 370 with no appreciable increase of the external temp when held in hand after short session. A small grinder/stash holder fits nicely in the bottom of cozy also.

This thing looks like an electric shaver. I use shaver brush to clean Ascent.
A golf tee whittled to an oval also makes a nice tool. Packer on one end, Pick on the other. Made of wood.
My stealth also fits an old flip phone case I saved perfectly.

Nesta

Test complete. Cozy No Problem IMO. Small load at 370 with no appreciable increase of the external temp when held in hand after short session. A small grinder/stash holder fits nicely in the bottom of cozy also.

This thing looks like an electric shaver. I use shaver brush to clean Ascent.
A golf tee whittled to an oval also makes a nice tool. Packer on one end, Pick on the other. Made of wood.
My stealth also fits an old flip phone case I saved perfectly.
Ahh, now I get what you do to the golf tee! When you 1st mentioned cutting down the tee- I thought you shaved down the sharp end. And I couldn't understand that. So you actually take off part of the top? And make it a scoop? Great idea! And the other end can be used to stir.

Nesta,

jivebuggered

Personally i think if you are starting out the transition from combustion to vaporization i would start myself (and i did) with a home based vap first. In my case i started with the extreme Q which gave me large clouds and of course a try at the balloon method. It was good because rather then suck i usually would just put the fan on low speed and have shotguns every time.
I then tried MFLB which i personally think is very close to combustion hence i sold quickly others members love the thing. Then tried Silver Surfer (whip type) and sold that also (thought to "airy" and used a fair bit of herb) I then bought the Solo (my main home one and away from home till now), the CERA (sick of mucking about with batteries etc so sold that) and second time on the Ascent.
I think you will find most members have a few or have tried a few different types of vaps. Are you packing tight with medium ground mull in the Ascent? 380 -400deg should be hot enough. Are you getting decent clouds? Are you drawing REALLY SLOWLY? There is a learning curve like anything not just how to draw etc but just getting to understand a vap and the transition from combustion to vapor. Every time i introduce a vap to a "smoker" they usually cough every time which i cant understand but all say they really like the clean heady stone and of course for medical purposes it has its own benefits.
Just keep experimenting and i feel sure you will never go back to combustion and this is from someone who "smoked" for many years. If you can try a home based large vaporizer (like Extreme Q or Vapor brothers or other "whip" type vaps) you will then realize the difference and the limitations between portables and home based systems.

jivebuggered,

evolutunes

Thanks for the info @jivebuggered

I haven't considered a home based unit as I tend to do most of my smoking/vaping when I elsewhere. Been seeing people on vids with big old clouds. I've tried medium ground and also hand ground(this had better results) and have been packing it tight. Could my herb be too moist? Anyway I'll give it some more time and I'll hopefully pick up the right technique. Almost 24 hours since combusting so that's good.

evolutunes,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
Ahh, now I get what you do to the golf tee! When you 1st mentioned cutting down the tee- I thought you shaved down the sharp end. And I couldn't understand that. So you actually take off part of the top? And make it a scoop? Great idea! And the other end can be used to stir.
I wasn't thinking scoop, rather a little off of opposite sides of the top to convert circle to oval to more fit shape of bowl.

RD,

armin

Glad under the jar worked as well for you as it did for me.
I destroyed one and got lucky with the second one, but not perfect by any means. If DV doesn't come up with a solution, I will have to get a new set of oil jars and look into getting the holes drilled the way you suggested, although I don't know anyone in the windshield repair business. Wonder if they would do a walk in? DV gets $9.95 + shipping for a set of jars.

It would be awesome if you could take some pics of what you have done and so we could see how it works. Seems like a hell of a lot of work to do. But if it makes the product work superior to how it does out of the box... Hopefully davinci is watching and will implement this...

armin,

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
I am not sure that the inside of the inner stem is fully cleanable and will eventually become a consumable. An alcohol bath gets most, but the walls down in the wider bottom are unreachable. Any ideas?
Modified this may eventually make a good spacer.

RD,

armin

I am not sure that the inside of the inner stem is fully cleanable and will eventually become a consumable. An alcohol bath gets most, but the walls down in the wider bottom are unreachable. Any ideas?
Modified this may eventually make a good spacer.
Dentist pick with the rubber end for scraping and the other conical brush end for the rest?

armin,

OF

A traditional technique is to put some salt in with the ISO (it doesn't dissolve) and let it mechanically scrub as you shake it up. Some guys cover the ends with fingers and things like that, others put the salt, part and ISO in a baggie.

OF

Razor

Thanks for the info @jivebuggered

I haven't considered a home based unit as I tend to do most of my smoking/vaping when I elsewhere. Been seeing people on vids with big old clouds. I've tried medium ground and also hand ground(this had better results) and have been packing it tight. Could my herb be too moist? Anyway I'll give it some more time and I'll hopefully pick up the right technique. Almost 24 hours since combusting so that's good.

Are you saying you're getting barely any vapor at the 400 range? You should get a replacement if that's the case. You should be getting vapor way before then. Being not dry enough won't produce those results.

HighMtnSkier

Waiting for winter
I got my Ascent today. Nice, I really wasn't expecting it until tomorrow. Wow. Bravo Da Vinci! I had no idea vaping could be this nice. This device seems very well thought out. More later.

HighMtnSkier,

evolutunes

@Razor I haven't been getting much vapour but being a noob with no friends who vape it's not easy to compare. Perhaps I should stick to one temp. Out a densely packed full bowl, how many hits/draws should I get. Will/should they all show visible vapour or does it become less apparent after a certain number of hits? Thanks for the info so far.

Hits like these I'm definitely not getting

Last edited:
evolutunes,
Reactions: NineDelta

Razor

Personally I start at 390 and work up to about 415. On a full bowl, you should be able to forget who you are for a bit (30 min or so).

Something you may want to try are slower draws at a higher temp until you get to a temp where you basically breathing in the hit. When you get a good amount of vapor at what ever temp you find, up it by a few degrees and you should be at a good temp where you can take quicker draws. If you're not getting good vapor over 400f, I'd get a replacement. And before when I said it doesn't matter if its wet, I meant if its dry ish. If its right off the plant then you'd want to do thing a little differently.

On that video.. I haven't seen any vape desktop or other pour out vape like that while not being drawn on..are you sure its not a dab or something in there?

Last edited:
Razor,

Tracido

Hmm, I better send mine back then, it cooks the hell out of everything, small packed bowls, loose bowls, fresh, previously vaped stuff, I've been trying everything I can think of to get it to give an actual vape and all I get is piss poor farts of vape and my stuff burnt to almost black at 430F. Not happy so far at all, paid for overnight priority, and just had it one day and a half so far.

Last edited:
Tracido,

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
Alright, been off the grid for about a week-ish. Only catching up now.

if it was designed with the idea that everyone was going to fill the bowl to the max. Either way, it's kinda odd, eh?

It was designed so one could share. Not odd in the least.

It is easy to make a large bowl smaller (reducer). It is nigh on impossible to make a small bowl larger.

Thanks, nice page. Everything except the bowl dimensions. I know it is an oval. How W, L , D?

I've updated the page. But pulling out the digital Caliper gives me about 17mm (the top gets a tad in the way) by 9.28mm.

thank you for all the help. last question is what is the second hole on the bottom next to the grill?

What's the hole for? Symmetry.

Inserting screen is hit or miss, and I don't like metal possibly scratching ceramic..

Glass. Scratching glass. No exposed ceramic.

You are the only other one reporting in with holes in jar.

A few other people tried making holes back in Aug/Sept. (don't recall if one of them was jive). A few people destroyed oil cans in the process. Think samr might have also damaged oil cans.

EDIT: Not suggesting not to try drilling holes, but be aware of previous attempts and exercise care.

very similar to the Solo`s only difference being Solo`s clouds are thicker in my opinion.

Keep in mind @OF's posts in both this thread and in the Solo thread regarding actual measured temperature under draw load. The Solo actually *RAISED* the temp of the product by IIRC 30°. One would suspect one WOULD have larger clouds if one were to raise temps.

I use a beer bottle cozy with a zipper as my carrier. Slip the straw out the top and take a sip. Also has room for stash and a few cleaning/packing tools.

The concern here would be the batteries. Heat is not their friend.

I would imagine everything else won't be as temp sensitive.

I always clean with a a coarse (ie, not table) salt when I want things perfectly clean. I fill a container with a coarse salt, then top off with ISO. Then stick the stems in the salt.

dreamerr actually complained/commented about "mystery crystals" in the Ascent screen-stem I sent her, until I explained it was salt. :) Might be a little difficult to get every crystal out, but NaCl becomes volatile at VERY high temps. I would be that concerned about it, but what other impurities (depending on the kind you use) might be in there.

Hmm, I better send mine back then, it cooks the hell out of everything, small packed bowls, loose bowls, fresh, previously vaped stuff, I've been trying everything I can think of to get it to give an actual vape and all I get is piss poor farts of vape and my stuff burnt to almost black at 430F. Not happy so far at all.

Yeah, you probably should see if it's broke. Even though I didn't have big clouds, I'd get vaped at 370 with a loosely packed non-full bowl. When I packed it tight, it lasted me 3 to 4 sessions, at least 4 or 5 long draws a session. I cant tell you if that's normal or not. Maybe sometime I'll shotgun the vape and breath it through the grill at the bottom to see how much different the experience is. I don't think I will make a habit of it, because I don't want crap building up on the back of the grill.

I count to 15 or 20 when I draw...low and slow is the way that seemed to work best for me. It took a few days to get the hang of it. After a hit, I hold my breath for 30 seconds and by then, the vape was ready for another hit, but after someone mentioned the 30 second rule of thumb on here I tried it out, and it seemed to make a difference. Usually when I exhale, I can see a cloud whether it was there on the way in or not.

Like you, I've never had a vape before this. I don't know if it's exclusive to the ascent, but the feeling is way way more intense but also a tad briefer. I attribute that to not inhaling actual tar and ash that is fucking up my lungs for a whole day, but that's just kind of pondering...it may be a personal thing, for all I know. It kinda feels like you've been cheated until you realize you have all the ABV to do whatever with.

Even having vaped full and packed bowls for 3 sessions and finishing on 405, the ABV was a dark brown and not especially scorched looking. It was crispy and I was getting diminished returns towards the end...thats why I kind of see the point of a spacer...I think even though I still got 4 sessions, it wasn't quite as efficient.

YesIt'sLoaded,

Tracido

Yeah, you probably should see if it's broke. Even though I didn't have big clouds, I'd get vaped at 370 with a loosely packed non-full bowl. When I packed it tight, it lasted me 3 to 4 sessions, at least 4 or 5 long draws a session. I cant tell you if that's normal or not. Maybe sometime I'll shotgun the vape and breath it through the grill at the bottom to see how much different the experience is. I don't think I will make a habit of it, because I don't want crap building up on the back of the grill.

I count to 15 or 20 when I draw...low and slow is the way that seemed to work best for me. It took a few days to get the hang of it. After a hit, I hold my breath for 30 seconds and by then, the vape was ready for another hit, but after someone mentioned the 30 second rule of thumb on here I tried it out, and it seemed to make a difference. Usually when I exhale, I can see a cloud whether it was there on the way in or not.

Like you, I've never had a vape before this. I don't know if it's exclusive to the ascent, but the feeling is way way more intense but also a tad briefer. I attribute that to not inhaling actual tar and ash that is fucking up my lungs for a whole day, but that's just kind of pondering...it may be a personal thing, for all I know. It kinda feels like you've been cheated until you realize you have all the ABV to do whatever with.

Even having vaped full and packed bowls for 3 sessions and finishing on 405, the ABV was a dark brown and not especially scorched looking. It was crispy and I was getting diminished returns towards the end...thats why I kind of see the point of a spacer...I think even though I still got 4 sessions, it wasn't quite as efficient.

I have a Volcano, but the whole of everything vapewise for my medicine is new to me (I've been using the volcano for just a few months now), but I'm very glad to not be limited to smoking or eating my medicine.

I was getting bronchitis from the smoking, and eating never helped me enough to get back to work. Thanks for any tips though, as this is not the same type of vaporization as the volcano either, and I've been doing my best to nail it, yet it cost me a lot of medicine now burnt to find out it isn't vaping right. lol

See my Volcano gives huge bags at 344F of steamy beautiful foggy clouds to vape. This thing gives nothing (practically nothing, tufts of tiny farts even when shotgunned out the reverse side)all the way to 430F, that's not a good sign, but I wanted to try several ways of getting the vape to work before making a stink about it. ;)

Tracido,

iarejohn

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking for awhile now awaiting the release of the Ascent. I pulled the trigger Friday night and placed my order after hearing several good reviews. Package come in today as I will be out of town for some time, my excuse to overnight. I have a few concerns upon inspecting the Ascent, but seeing as I did not have a v1.1 to compare, I'm not sure if my fears are from reading everyone's experience with the first Ascent or paranoia that my serial# is 1AA1.

Now I know DaVinci stated in #3088 that even new versions have 1AA1. I guess it would just be visual comfort when all reviews on here saying their new version has 1AA2.

Upon opening, there was a slight "new" smell. Not strong, but noticeable when the unit is close to your face. I sensed this when I was looking at the cosmetic appearance and found there was a small scuff on the led screen. It's one of those scuffs that you have to see from an angle. This I can live with as it'd probably end up with a scuff at some point. Aside from the scuff, the only other cosmetic issue I could find is at the bottom near the grill. The corners where the outer case meets the chrome strips are fairly sharp. I can see myself jamming the unit in my pocket and either tearing up my pocket or chipping the outer plastic. (Just a users thoughts. I've done this with sharp/chipped phone cases.) Turned on the unit and battery as at full charge. Heated the unit to 430, and waited.. and waited. No visual off-gassing after about 15 minutes but there is that vape smell and is stronger now that its heated. Will check again after the burn in is more sufficient. Another 15 minutes passed and I noticed my battery was at 1/2... that's strange. Turned the unit off and on, and the battery was now at 3/4... grabbed the charger and plugged it in. This is where I'm at now... waiting to be positive that it has a full battery (and no battery issues) to continue on with the inspection.

Also, as I was playing with the +/- buttons, my big thumbs pressed both the button and part of the display. "Click!", tried the other button and side of the display, "Click!". Then I just tried slightly pressing the display only, "Click!". It seems like the screen is not properly secured. I'm a little worried that after continuous use.. I will break the screen somehow....

Will continue with the review when I can... but in the meantime, I'd appreciate if anyone can reassure me that they have a v1.2 with serial 1AA1.

Enjoying the Ascent really well now, after another burn in session with no issues. The smell is still there but is going away. At first, I filled it to 3/4 of the chamber, including 3 glass flowers that everyone has been suggesting. Initial temp was 375, then halfway in turned it up to 430 for the heck of it till it was done. Didn't produce as much vapor as I thought it would. At least, not to the OG DV at 375 that I've tried with a friend. Probably because of the amount.

Later on, I tried another session and packed it full. Started at 375 again, and much better vapor this time. Went to 390, 415, 430. Definitely medicated. It does get warm around the bowl area but I can see it being great in the winter. (I hope TX gets cold soon.) Run time from last full charge has been about 45 mins, and my battery shows half. Not sure if this good or not. I thought the battery was suppose to be 3+ hours, but someone else also commented 4 sessions of 10 minutes each.

Otherwise this is great! Have been looking for an alternative for long road trips. Thanks for everyones comments on the serial.

iarejohn,
Reactions: Tracido

RD

"Hawaii Home Grown"
I don't see a car charger listed on thee DV site for the Ascent. OR DV work?

RD,

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
From DV. I was checking the site every couple of days before I actually ordered. It goes in and out of stock, at least the Stealth did.

The units are not open for general sales at this point. They are still catching up with pre-sales. Be patient and they will be available for the general public soon.

Knowingly jumping the line in front of people that have been legitimately waiting a long time is kinda a dick-move. Don't care how you rationalize it. Dick-move.

[*NOT* suggesting that @iarejohn did that, and giving the benefit of the doubt it was dumb luck, so no issue here. I said *Knowingly* jumped line.]

EDIT: The discussion of ordering really belongs over here.

Last edited:

iarejohn

The units are not open for general sales at this point. They are still catching up with pre-sales. Be patient and they will be available for the general public soon.

Knowingly jumping the line in front of people that have been legitimately waiting a long time is kinda a dick-move. Don't care how you rationalize it. Dick-move.

[*NOT* suggesting that @iarejohn did that, and giving the benefit of the doubt it was dumb luck, so no issue here. I said *Knowingly* jumped line.]

EDIT: The discussion of ordering really belongs over here.

I am truly sorry, if I skipped anyone from getting their pre-order. When I got interested in the Ascent, I found this site and read the reviews of the v1.1. Decided to wait till the 2nd production reviews came out, but still got eager to check what total cost would be. I was able to add to my cart, but thought that even if I placed my order, I would not get one till much later so I didn't. It wasn't until I read a comment that the site had it out of stock, and once I saw a few v1.2 reviews and that I was able to add it in my cart again, I pulled the trigger.

I agree that would be a dick-move; again sorry to those who are waiting. But I can say it is worth the wait. I also think they should leave the Ascent as out of stock if they are still trying to fulfill pre-order replacements.

Last edited:
Top Bottom