Arizer Solo

weedemon

enthusiast
the green is definitely the chlorophyll :) and it is also not completely vaped plant.
Dry material can still have many hits on it and easily break into smaller pieces. The real question is are there hits to be had?

I find with every herb vape I have ever used (the cloud included, certain vapes (Gn0me and Vapolution this is not ideal but it's still true)) if you take your buds out and crush them up even more. (they usually go to dust) you will then be able to get 1 or more hits (depends on the vape and the material) from it.

weedemon,
I can attest to all this talk about "too much air for the solo". I modded my ptfe(?) stem retainer ring 2 weeks after purchasing a solo.
First I took the whole thing apart. Then carefully cut 1/16" off the bottom to allow air through the channels on the outside of the crucible. Hind sight, I would have cut 8 v's in the bottom so it would stay in place height wise, along with keep out ABV.
Next, on the inside of the ring(where the stem touches) I cut 6 or so notches that do a similar job as the pvhes notches.
Last, I bored out the 4 holes in the bottom of the crucible to allow more air.
In the end, I thought it worked nice, but could tell the high temp Vaping needs less air, or more heat up time, or both. Im still testing warm up times in between rips, also testing different air speeds, but it hard not to just grip and rip it.
My ABV turned from chocolate Brown, to light blonde tobacco, so definitely lower temps.
Now combine that with my homemade pvhes gong stem, (witch was done with a wet saw that has a wider blade(more air) than PV's), and my only drag is the flowers and screens. With a solo on my DG mini can, I can still stack to my mouth...that's some air flow.
I feel I have brought a lot more convection into the solo, but have sacrificed easy high temp Vaping. Im pretty sure I can tune in the higher temps, but watching bubbles stack while ripping makes it hard.
I'm going to see if arizer would be so kind to sell me 2 ptfe rings so I can mod 1 more and keep one stock for testing purposes. I don't think they will, but if I offer my warranty, maybe they will be nice.
My last thought/mod to make it keep up with the air flow a little better, would be have a RC/battery guy wire up 2 18650 AW IMR's in a pack to possibly get more power "on demand" for quicker warm up between high airflow rips.
In the end, solos are pretty sweet with a tweak or 2, but I think PV knows what their doing, to not introduce to much air, but some on top of stock is definitely needed.

havealight101,
Reactions: ili

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I've actually got a company who is making some packs with UltraFire 2800's for me and my friends right now. If your interested I can put you in contact.

weedemon

enthusiast
I've actually got a company who is making some packs with UltraFire 2800's for me and my friends right now. If your interested I can put you in contact.

this is spare batteries for the solo when they need to be replaced? how much to jump in on this?

weedemon,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
this is spare batteries for the solo when they need to be replaced? how much to jump in on this?
Yes indeed... I am still in discussion with these guys and haven't gotten a quote but once the holiday weekend over here in Canada is I will ask them. I'm also going to be doing my best to get ahold of some JST-RCY connectors, but failing that they would need to be directly soldered to the leads in the solo. The issue there isn't so much finding the connectors but the fact that the machine to crimp them is expensive to rent and ship.

Thanks, yeah I would love to see if they can put AW IMR 2000 mah 10c in a pack. There is also IMR hybrids out there that are 3100 mah and 5c(?) I think would be an interesting combo of life and power.
I'm only stuck on the IMR thing instead of trustfire is firsthand experience with both in my persei. The IMR's blow the trustfire's out of the water. The running amps on them is about 7-8 with a 10a max.
Let me know what they say, this would be nice upgrades to an already nice machine.

havealight101,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I get what you are saying, but I would be hesitant to use any batteries of differing chemistry/power characteristics than the cells originally being used in the Solo because the machine was never designed to use batteries or voltage/amperages past the relatively stable 3.7 volt discharge curve. The persei is designed with varying power levels taken into account and uses significantly more amp's of power than the solo does.

If you had any specific cells in mind I would certainly look into them and see if they are an viable option. Most batteries above the 2600mah level are quite generously labelled. Of course I know Tust/Ultrafire are also companies who engage in this sort of practice, but they are also one of the few that actually make good 18650 LIon cells, and sure as hell are a step up from the Tenergy excuses for 2200mah's powering my Solo right now. I am also looking into AW, if they are an option then I will definatly go with them.

natural farmer

I can attest to all this talk about "too much air for the solo". I modded my ptfe(?) stem retainer ring 2 weeks after purchasing a solo.
First I took the whole thing apart. Then carefully cut 1/16" off the bottom to allow air through the channels on the outside of the crucible. Hind sight, I would have cut 8 v's in the bottom so it would stay in place height wise, along with keep out ABV.
Next, on the inside of the ring(where the stem touches) I cut 6 or so notches that do a similar job as the pvhes notches.
Last, I bored out the 4 holes in the bottom of the crucible to allow more air.
In the end, I thought it worked nice, but could tell the high temp Vaping needs less air, or more heat up time, or both. Im still testing warm up times in between rips, also testing different air speeds, but it hard not to just grip and rip it.
My ABV turned from chocolate Brown, to light blonde tobacco, so definitely lower temps.
Now combine that with my homemade pvhes gong stem, (witch was done with a wet saw that has a wider blade(more air) than PV's), and my only drag is the flowers and screens. With a solo on my DG mini can, I can still stack to my mouth...that's some air flow.
I feel I have brought a lot more convection into the solo, but have sacrificed easy high temp Vaping. Im pretty sure I can tune in the higher temps, but watching bubbles stack while ripping makes it hard.
I'm going to see if arizer would be so kind to sell me 2 ptfe rings so I can mod 1 more and keep one stock for testing purposes. I don't think they will, but if I offer my warranty, maybe they will be nice.
My last thought/mod to make it keep up with the air flow a little better, would be have a RC/battery guy wire up 2 18650 AW IMR's in a pack to possibly get more power "on demand" for quicker warm up between high airflow rips.
In the end, solos are pretty sweet with a tweak or 2, but I think PV knows what their doing, to not introduce to much air, but some on top of stock is definitely needed.

That's some heavy modding there my friend... :) I like that you did everything on the mod book together! I have tried some stem modding myself but found the temps to drop significantly. The same went when I flipped the PTFE ring to allow more air... Too much airflow leads to not so good extraction. No more modding for me except Ed's stem and PVHESs. The balance between airflow and temperature is very delicate and I think Arizer knows what is doing after all. Something tells me the Solo was designed to need some wiggling of the stem while drawing, wiggling always gives me the best hits. Fiddling with the batteries? Again, the electronics in the vape where probably designed for use with the standard bats and changing them might drop battery life, change the heating or even destroy some chip in there. I hope Arizer gets you some PTFE rings though... It would be unreasonable not to sell some spare parts, especially something like the ring. I would also like a couple as a back up. I hope they don't expect me to send the Solo cross Atlantic for a simple PTFE ring failure, that would be my last day with the Solo... :mad:

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
I'm wondering if green color is just clorophyl from plant or not completely vaped plant?? Any inputs??

Well it should be brownish at the end but if really if you look at daylight you realize that the ABV is actually pretty green...and that's clorophyl

m0sh,

m0sh

Well it should be brownish at the end but if really if you look at daylight you realize that the ABV is actually pretty green...and that's clorophyl

I find with every herb vape I have ever used (the cloud included, certain vapes (Gn0me and Vapolution this is not ideal but it's still true)) if you take your buds out and crush them up even more. (they usually go to dust) you will then be able to get 1 or more hits (depends on the vape and the material) from it.

Yes I've been doing this always with the EQ but for the solo it feels useless! I tried it few times and I couldn't get more vapor.

m0sh,

vape4life

Banned for life
That's cuz the Solo has a larger conduction component than alot of vapes and is already cached cuz it's so good at extraction. I can use ABV from my Cloud in the Solo and get a couple more hits (that taste like shit though) on the highest temp setting.

m0sh

That's cuz the Solo has a larger conduction component than alot of vapes and is already cached cuz it's so good at extraction. I can use ABV from my Cloud in the Solo and get a couple more hits (that taste like shit though) on the highest temp setting.

Impressive! I will try it out once I get the cloud :)

Another input, I finally more than .1 in the solo and went for .17 almost as much as I use with the EQ and damn - what a buzz !!!! Solo is awesome!!!

notmyrealUSERname

Notmy Well-Known Member

What 'hour' on the dial are you vaping with the cloud?

notmyrealUSERname,

vape4life

Banned for life
I vape at all hours on the dial, but I would throw it in the solo after I cached it in the cloud in the upper higher temperature ranges. It's possible that the Cloud may have produced the same tiny bit more of vapour, but I think the Solo's conduction component really can roast it, and probably has a higher temperature limit than the Cloud.

vape4life,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I have tried some stem modding myself but found the temps to drop significantly. The same went when I flipped the PTFE ring to allow more air... Too much airflow leads to not so good extraction.
I noticed a similar drop in effective temperatures with my PVHES stem... I just run the solo ten degrees higher than I usually would and seem to be getting the same effect. I've not done any modding to the ring though.

CentiZen,
I've really only tested my pvhes(gong) through my DG mini frit, so results could be off. I haven't used PV's bent pvhes stem more than twice because I don't take the solo out much, but ill put it to hard use on the boat today. I think ill get better results in terms of clouds and higher temps without a water attachment.
I have noticed patience between pulls is helping. Something weird though, after a long high airflow pull the heater will be blinking(as normal), and the temp reading stays at 7 with a rare jump to 6. But with a quick push down to 6 and back to 7, the temp reading jumps to 4 or 5 and works back up. So my conclusion is the temp readout isn't "real time", but with 2 quick button pushes you can know where its at. Can anyone with a pvhes replicate this?, or is it my unit.

Mud

So no PVHES stems up for sale yet? are there any other options I could get right now that do the same thing? I heard some people saying something about Ed's Stems, or PVHES GonG stems, not sure what those are, can i get a link perhaps? Also, anyone remember the coupon code for the solo from PIU.com? Thanks guys.

Mud,

VAPORIZER22

So no PVHES stems up for sale yet? are there any other options I could get right now that do the same thing? I heard some people saying something about Ed's Stems, or PVHES GonG stems, not sure what those are, can i get a link perhaps? Also, anyone remember the coupon code for the solo from PIU.com? Thanks guys.

On piu it says SOLO160 for discount, but only seems to work for the black solo. I am going to message them to see if the silver is also $160.

VAPORIZER22,
Reactions: Mud

natural farmer

I've really only tested my pvhes(gong) through my DG mini frit, so results could be off. I haven't used PV's bent pvhes stem more than twice because I don't take the solo out much, but ill put it to hard use on the boat today. I think ill get better results in terms of clouds and higher temps without a water attachment.
I have noticed patience between pulls is helping. Something weird though, after a long high airflow pull the heater will be blinking(as normal), and the temp reading stays at 7 with a rare jump to 6. But with a quick push down to 6 and back to 7, the temp reading jumps to 4 or 5 and works back up. So my conclusion is the temp readout isn't "real time", but with 2 quick button pushes you can know where its at. Can anyone with a pvhes replicate this?, or is it my unit.

It happens to me sometimes but it climbs up again very quickly and doesn't affect draws... I also wait for some seconds between hits or maybe a couple of minutes to let my lungs relax so no problem there. The Solo can keep up just fine. The only annoying thing is the top cap getting a little hot if you load a second stem right away and conducts more heat to the rest of the body but I just unscrew it and continue without it. No differences in heat with the top on or off... :) It stays cooler though...

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Here is the link for Ed's stems, I am not sure if they are sold out at the moment. When I click on buy it now there is a no page found error message.

http://www.edstnt.com/index_files/SoloVaportubes.htm

You can get Planet Vape's High Efficiency Stems here when back in stock, https://www.planetvape.ca/pvhes-high-efficiency-stems.html

I got the link to work on my end, Ed's Solo Stems are available at that link and will get ya to my shopping cart. Thanks for the post Vape22!

Edited to add: Link is fixed

VAPORIZER22

I got the link to work on my end, Ed's Solo Stems are available at that link and will get ya to my shopping cart. Thanks for the post Vape22!

Thank you Ed! I am getting ready to purchase a Solo and I know what my first accessory purchase is going to be after hearing so many great things about your stems. Do they fit 18mm as well as 14mm glass? If not, I will get an adapter.

Just tried adding the Granadillo stem to my shopping cart to see if it would work and I still get a 404 (page not found) error. I am not ready to order yet but just wanted to let you know in case others were encountering the same problem. Maybe the problem is on my end? Once I order my Solo I will contact you to order a Granadillo stem if the site still does not work for me. Have a good one.

VAPORIZER22,

Ed's TnT

Woodsman
Manufacturer
Thank you Ed! I am getting ready to purchase a Solo and I know what my first accessory purchase is going to be after hearing so many great things about your stems. Do they fit 18mm as well as 14mm glass? If not, I will get an adapter.

Just tried adding the Granadillo stem to my shopping cart to see if it would work and I still get a 404 (page not found) error. I am not ready to order yet but just wanted to let you know in case others were encountering the same problem. Maybe the problem is on my end? Once I order my Solo I will contact you to order a Granadillo stem if the site still does not work for me. Have a good one.

Well you are right thanks for noticing this for me! The two links for the the granadillo and the cocobolo went bad. I am updating this now and will have it fixed within the hour. You can go directly to my shopping cart and purchase there. I look forward to hearing from you!

Edited: Link fixed!

Top Bottom