A Piece of Art: Just got my new Myrtlezap(lots of pictures included)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

max

Out to lunch
CuttyBuddy said:
Science, low levels all that talk is fine and dandy, but at the end of the day we want the hottest vaporizer on the market.
What you should want is the vape that suits you. The PD is in high demand because Tom and Pam are the only ones producing it, and it's time consuming. So it's a limited production item, and that's the way it'll be. That's the way they want it.

I'm not being dis-respectful. Since when is stating facts being dis-respectful? The System for purchasing PD's is terrible. Sorry
Not so great for people who want a system that's easy for the buyer. But you're asking for the seller to go to a lot of trouble so you can have an easy buying experience. If you can't wait, buy something else, but don't waste your time trying to change the system. It's not going to change just for buyer convenience.

the PD ain't gonna be the hottest thing around for long so, get to work because there are other companies out there who will be able to supply guys like me
You obviously don't understand the story behind this vape and what's led to the current system. He can probably make and sell as many units as he wants, for as long as he wants, without worrying about guys like you, who can't wait it out.
The Myrtlezap is Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
So buy one. Problem solved.

max,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Not so great for people who want a system that's easy for the buyer. But you're asking for the seller to go to a lot of trouble so you can have an easy buying experience. If you can't wait, buy something else, but don't waste your time trying to change the system. It's not going to change just for buyer convenience.
I know Tom's main goal isn't to make a huge wad of dough but I can't really agree with this statement here. I'm not saying Tom needs to change his ways but to me, part of the experience of getting a product is not just the product itself, but the entire journey which includes the ordering portion. I don't think its out of the ordinary to ask a seller to make the purchasing of his/her product easier.

Max, I do not find myself disagreeing with you often as your logic is usually dead on but this particular statement is just hard for me to understand. If Tom made a decision that doesn't sit well with the people ordering, then they should express themselves. Just like when he does a great job building a great product, people should express their opinion.

I love Tom as much as the next guy, but I don't feel like I should have to hold my mouth shut if I don't agree with his ordering process...luckily I already have my PD so its a moot point but I can totally empathize with why some people would be frustrated with the ordering process. I dunno, maybe I read everything out of context....just my 2 cents

stonemonkey55,

josh

I respect all you guys (well most of you at least), but can we get this thread back on the subject of the MZ.

jawsh said:
Is the brass that is used in the Zap leaded brass? If not then I think that would clear up the lead issue because most other brass's are composed of copper and zinc.
That is a great ? jawsh. I would also be interested in finding out some more info about the internal components of the vape. As far as the brass goes I am assuming it is the kind with lead as you (Rick) have that last part in the FAQ but perhaps that was just a general statement. Do you have some specific info about the type of brass and other materials used inside?

josh,

josh

duh said:
It would be :cool: if ppl read the whole thread before posting. It's what, 5 pages so far?

Quoting myself, "The entire stem is made of brass, plus the heatport."
If that was directed at me, my question was sort of directed at Rick just so you know.

So from your understanding it is brass (with a tiny amount of lead that is not supposed to be released at the temps this vape operates at) and lead-free solder. Is that accurate?

josh,

duh

josh said:
duh said:
It would be :cool: if ppl read the whole thread before posting. It's what, 5 pages so far?

Quoting myself, "The entire stem is made of brass, plus the heatport."
If that was directed at me, my question was sort of directed at Rick just so you know.

So from your understanding it is brass (with a tiny amount of lead that is not supposed to be released at the temps this vape operates at) and lead-free solder. Is that accurate?
Whatever, dude. Both of the references to brass are taken from the aromazap website. You can see plain as day on page 1 of this thread the brass stems (where the plant material and hot air go).

duh,

jawsh

Yea we know its internal components are made of brass. What I was trying to figure out (and I think josh was commenting on) was whether the actual brass used was leaded brass or some other type (like lead-free brass or some other type). Most brass is made with copper and zinc if I'm not mistaken. This could help narrow down if there is lead in the brass and the possibility of it being hazardous to your health.

jawsh,

max

Out to lunch
Here's the lead info from the zap site-

"We use no lead solder in all of our constuction processes. We do use brass tubing in the manufacture of the heatport assembly and the vapor stem tips. Brass contains a very tiny amount of lead."

Aside from the brass, all electrical components, including the wiring, come in leaded or unleaded versions (also free of other potentially toxic substances). The unleaded components cost more, of course, and are labeled as RoHS compliant (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) . You would assume that vapes manufactured in Europe, like Volcano, Aromed, etc. are RoHS compliant, since it's a European standard. To my knowledge, the PD is the only US or Canadian made vape advertised as RoHS compliant.

Does this matter at the vaping temps used? :shrug: Very little solid research has been done on vaporization, especially on by-products of the hardware. There's a wide range of hardware, from the really iffy Chinese box vapes to the units with all glass vapor paths. With the little info we have to go on at this point, it's up to the individual to decide.

max,

rukus13

I now own both the PD and the Myrtlezap. Let me say comparing which is better is like apples and oranges. Both get the job done though each has its strengths as far as preferences. I've been wanting another PD for a while but haven't been able to get my hands on one so thought I'd give the myrtlezap a try. Size wise they are very similar. The MZ is slightly taller maybe a quarter inch if that. The top on the PD is more rounded and to me looks more finished. This is just a beauty is in the eye of the beholder type thing.

As for stems they are interchangable. No the MZ does not have a bigger bowl they are the same size. The stem on the MZ has a glossy finish that is pretty cool but the plastic part is slightly thicker. I think I like the PD stem better but this could just be because I'm used to it. The stem is a much more snug fit in the MZ. I actually like this. I think Tom's looser design has a similar effect as the old hole in the stem. You end up taking more ambient air which is why it seems the MZ gets slightly thicker hits. Now let me say this is not enough of a difference to say it is night and day or one is better but my personal preference is the tighter fit.

One thing I really do like is that there is a screen instead of just the bar where the stem fits into the heat port. I know Tom says he never has a problem with things falling into the PD and I don't doubt him but I use much crappier product than he does and occasionally lose a piece of stem down the tube. No big deal but when it starts to scorch it can leave a nasty burnt taste for a short bit. I find myself having to spank the PD fairly frequently to keep her clean. Could just be an OCD thing as well.

Power supply is exactly the same as the PD. I opted for the three stems instead of the car adapter since I already have one. The aromatherapy attachment is pretty cool but not interchangable as it fits over the heat port not inside of it. The PD uses a bigger port so it doesn't fit.

As for the wood grain both are beautiful. I can't give a fair comparison because my PD is like 5 times darker than when I first got it. The AZ hasn't had time to burn in and get sealed etc... so is much lighter.

Only major difference really is the LCD which I could personally do without. The PD looks more like a pencil holder or something than an electrical device. The LCD kinda takes away from the stealth aspect in my opinion. Again though this is preference.

Customer service was also excellent. I sent an email and within 5 minutes of sending it had a response. My unit was ordered over the weekend, shipped Tuesday and arrived today. Very speedy and responsive. I'd say right on par with the PD customer service. Both are very responsive and friendly.

All in all I'm pretty impressed. I'd say if you are comfortable with the copper issue the MZ and the PD are both damn fine vaporizers. I'd still give a slight edge to the PD because of the possible lead issues and the warranty but if you can look past that this is a viable alternative. I hate to use that word because they both work just as well so I don't want to say alternative but can't think of a better word.

There you have it a fair comparison of the two with reasoning. I hope that puts to rest the vs. debate. I'm happy with them both though my PD is probably still going to be my primary since it was here first and well its just special to me hehe.

*** Wanted to add a few observations having played with it a few hours now. I take back what I said about the tighter fit. I actually like Tom's design better here being that it uses a smaller tube and the fit is tighter airflow is lower and in actuality it is harder to get a hit. Seemed thicker at first but I dunno. Maybe for the first hit but then it quickly tapers off. I can see why the hole was in the stem before. Also it seems my PD runs slightly hotter. After vaping a bowl through the MZ I can still get a smallish hit off it through the PD. Seems like the PD stems hit just a little better as well I can say I just buttered her up with buzz butter instead of the flax oil and man she is gorgeous. Sure wish the PD would come in the same wood. I mean the myrtlewood is absolutely stunning. Tom won't you please reconsider. I still stand by what I said though I do like the PD just a little better but if I didnt have one I'd be more than happy with the MZ as well. I'll tinker around some more and report back in a few days. Maybe the MZ just needs a little burn in before the temps come up a hair.

rukus13,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
read the entire thread. firstly, thanks PD inventor and Rick for posting, a very unique thread indeed. both seem to be great vapes... don't NEED a 4th vaporizer, after Vape Bro's, Extreme, and soon to have FB... but either of these is temping, also very portable.

Is Zap heat up time similar to PD??? Same heater, still 30-45?

IAmKrazy2,

Purple-Days

Just to let you know, I was one of the customers who requested 'No holes please," So I would never design something into a PD that I didn't like. Again one of the many differences.

Purple-Days,

Rick

Zapman
The brass we use in the construction of the heatport assembly is the same stuff we have used since the beginning. It is the same as used in the original Eterra. I am assuming it is NOT no lead brass. I have done zero scientific research into this issue. As stated before, if anyone has concerns about lead in brass being released at low vape temps, please do not buy our vape. Also realize there is zero proof that ANY lead is released from the brass. Also no proof that it is NOT released. Life is full of risks these days. Very simple. buy a PD if you believe lead is a problem with the MZ. We think it is not a problem. That is why we keep making them.

And now a bit of real time information. We have experienced an increased demand for Myrtles over the last week. The fickle internet! You never know when you get up and check Email. In this case I do know that most has come from folks on this forum so that is comforting. Sometimes these things will happen and I have no clue what caused the spike.
We do need to inform you that the normal 2-3 day turn around between getting an order and shipping has increased a bit. Maybe 4-5 days. I had planned to get caught up and ship everything out tomorrow(Saturday) but had to make more internals as the week ended to keep ahead. Then it is 90 out and the farm was/is crying for lots of water so my days are getting interrupted often. Saturday is Farmers market and we leave at 6AM.
To make a long story short, If you do not get your Myrt by tomorrow, it will not ship til Monday. Any orders from this point on will not ship till the end of next week.

We have been here before and will catch up. There are just so many hours in the day and we will always take time just to enjoy the day. We are busy but NOT workaholics.

Thanks to all for the comments and the purchases. We did not plan this in any way. Madcap was just another customer only he did his thing on this forum. We are very grateful for that. Just want you to know our normal production schedule has added pressure these days.

Tom, I have no claim to Myrtlewood as you know. Do whatever you want. No problem here.

Thanks for listening. When I get a bit of time, I will do an official MyrtleZap thread for direct questions and answers.

ZM
Rick

Rick,

clonestyle

I'm one of the guilty ones adding to Rick's already busy schedule, haha. First time poster but I've been lurking for the past couple days reading up on various vapes and decided the price was just too good to pass up.

Here's hoping the order can be filled by next week :)

clonestyle,

spyder

Go get em....

I'm surprised Tom hasn't taken the Myrtlewood.... that was at least Tom's idea.... The rest was a complete rip off of the Rick's vape with some " improvements"

ya ya I know it was the eterra first until the patent expired... I guess it's Rick's fault for not putting a patent on his design so other couldn't rip it off

Perhaps I should disect one and start building some knock-offs and call them Purple-Zap $99

Don't let anyone fool you... Tom's a great guy (yes I do think so...just don't agree with his business ethics) but this is strictly for profit!!! at least Rick admits it.

spyder,

Purple-Days

No, the nyrtlewood is yours. Very pretty, like I said. Some pieces are spectacular.

The alloy number gives all the info. 330, 260, 272 etc. are common tube alloys. I'm sure your supplier can tell you the alloy. Then there are no assumptions. The heat sink piece, top disk, and 1" sleeve are also brass? Or were some bronze?

ps. this is the original Myrtlewood / Zap fusion. circa 2005

Purple-Days,

max

Out to lunch
spyder said:
The rest was a complete rip off of the Rick's vape with some " improvements"
The usual meaning of ripoff, or knockoff, is a cheap imitation. Since the PD is an improvement over the Aromazap AND Eterra, that makes the zap the ripoff of the bunch IMO.

Perhaps I should disect one and start building some knock-offs and call them Purple-Zap $99
Sounds like a great plan. I bet you could build 20 per day, easy. Probably make a good $70 profit on each unit too.

max,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
exactly - i mean there's nothing to it - you just stick a heater inside a slab of wood, that shouldn't take more than five minutes at the most, the hippies will eat this shit up, could sell it at the flea market.

jeffp,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
spyder, this isn't your soapbox for bashing vaporizers or their makers. Keep it up and you're gone.

If you have nothing worthwhile to add then stay out of the discussion.

vtac,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom