A Piece of Art: Just got my new Myrtlezap(lots of pictures included)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

runner

Basshead
DeepFried said:
Tom maybe to ease your inhibition of using myrtlewood you could sell myrtylewood PD's for a 5.00 premium and give Rick the 5.00 from every myrtlewood PD sold to kind of keep the peace.
Especially since he's the one who came up with the idea? I think that Rick should be paying Tom. Also to Tom, I kinda forgot what was before the Zap lol. So the progression of these specific style of vapes goes Eterra<Zap<PD.

runner,

duh

Lead and Brass. I just re-read page 1 of the PD thread to remember why this was a dead-end for me. These pics might be pretty, but let's look at the Myrtlezap's inside out. :D

The early Romans died out using lead for their plates and wine goblets. I'm also guessing vaping w/brass may also have the same ill effects. The "do not have a choice regarding some of the electronic components" statement Tom quotes on page 1 is taken directly from Armozap's FAQ page.

The entire stem is made of brass, plus the heatport. Yikes. Better switch those stems at a minimum, ML.

duh,

Purple-Days

Actually, Duh, I thought I used the Wicked Roots disclaimer in that quote, seems to be a popular disclaimer. :cool:

When I bought our first Zap, they only mentioned Lead-Free solder. No mention of the Lead content of Brass. By accident I came across the article about the lead in the brass on the space station and efforts to remove it from the surfaces using brass. That is when I became concerned about breathing through any device containing lead, at any temperature.

I learned more about the metallurgy of Brass and how the Lead atoms were bound in the matrix of the alloy and were exposed and 'smeared' on the surface of any machined or drawn Brass object that had Lead in it's alloy. Quite interesting stuff.

Here is the exact quote from Aromazap.com. It's on the bottom of the FAQ page. "What about lead? We use no lead solder in all of our constuction processes. We do use brass tubing in the manufacture of the heatport assembly and the vapor stem tips. Brass contains a very tiny amount of lead. Because temperatures produced in Aromazap are so low(under 400 degreesF), any trace of lead that is in the brass stays in the brass. Temperatures are high enough to make vapor from herbal material but are also way too low to release any lead from the brass "

It would be far more impressive, and much more comforting, if he referenced the articles or scientific papers he used to draw those conclusions.

Replacing the tubes is about like using lead free solder in the construction. As long as the Heat Exchanger is composed of Brass using Lead in it's alloy, what's the point? It's either a Lead-Free vape or it's not. :uhoh:

Purple-Days,

duh

Purple-Days said:
Actually, Duh, I thought I used the Wicked Roots disclaimer in that quote, seems to be a popular disclaimer. :cool:

When I bought our first Zap, they only mentioned Lead-Free solder. No mention of the Lead content of Brass. By accident I came across the article about the lead in the brass on the space station and efforts to remove it from the surfaces using brass. That is when I became concerned about breathing through any device containing lead, at any temperature.

I learned more about the metallurgy of Brass and how the Lead atoms were bound in the matrix of the alloy and were exposed and 'smeared' on the surface of any machined or drawn Brass object that had Lead in it's alloy. Quite interesting stuff.

Here is the exact quote from Aromazap.com. It's on the bottom of the FAQ page. "What about lead? We use no lead solder in all of our constuction processes. We do use brass tubing in the manufacture of the heatport assembly and the vapor stem tips. Brass contains a very tiny amount of lead. Because temperatures produced in Aromazap are so low(under 400 degreesF), any trace of lead that is in the brass stays in the brass. Temperatures are high enough to make vapor from herbal material but are also way too low to release any lead from the brass "

It would be far more impressive, and much more comforting, if he referenced the articles or scientific papers he used to draw those conclusions.

Replacing the tubes is about like using lead free solder in the construction. As long as the Heat Exchanger is composed of Brass using Lead in it's alloy, what's the point? It's either a Lead-Free vape or it's not. :uhoh:
Duh says, "Triple Doh!" :o

duh,

Madcap Laughed

I tried to measure the zap, but i cant find any measurment devices at the moment. by using my fingers i determined it to be from 5 to 6 inches, but im not certain.

also, i dont think its fair to call the aromazap and especially the myrtlezap ">purpledays" because there is lots of controversey surrounding that. as for the brass, brass nowadays is nearly 100% copper and zinc. there may be absolutely miniscule amounts of lead like 0.25 percent, but think about the fact that nearly all water we drink, is run through brass at some time.

as for stainless steel 'Even stainless steel cookware can become a problem if an abrasive material is used frequently to clean it thereby releasing small amounts of the toxic metals, Chromium and Nickel.' and 'Steel pickling workers were 1.4 times more likely to die of lung cancer than the general public.' it'd be easy to question the saftey of any product, and perhaps thats why its so common with any product that uses a metal.

if saftey is the biggest issue when getting a vape, i'd get a vapolution as its all glass internals, but then they have issues with reliability. and it doesnt seem they ever mentioned what the housing is made of(is it glass too? and the paints they use etc) basically, you can find a negative for every vape, whether its a real concern or not is up to your poor head to ache about!

Madcap Laughed,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Madcap Laughed said:
there may be absolutely miniscule amounts of lead like 0.25 percent, but think about the fact that nearly all water we drink, is run through brass at some time.

as for stainless steel 'Even stainless steel cookware can become a problem if an abrasive material is used frequently to clean it thereby releasing small amounts of the toxic metals, Chromium and Nickel.' and 'Steel pickling workers were 1.4 times more likely to die of lung cancer than the general public.' it'd be easy to question the saftey of any product, and perhaps thats why its so common with any product that uses a metal.
madcap...just make sure to take into consideration what the applications are as well when considering a vaporizer. Your statement above would lead me to believe that stainless steel as used in the PD would not be a problem since we are not scrubbing it. Also, since my house plumbing never gets exposed to temperatures of 190C+, I'm more concerned about it in a vape than my water pipes. It's all about what you are going to do with it.

stickstones,

Purple-Days

Madcap says,"
also, i dont think its fair to call the aromazap and especially the myrtlezap ">purpledays" because there is lots of controversey surrounding that.". Not sure what contreoversy you are refering to, lots of differences, but no controversy which is which.

Yes , new alloys are being developed for the new 2010 standard for California brass plumbing is 1in 400 Lead. Current 330 alloys are 1 in 200.

Purple-Days,

ILoveRadiohead!

Madcap Laughed said:
also, i dont think its fair to call the aromazap and especially the myrtlezap ">purpledays" because there is lots of controversey surrounding that.
In your first post you stated this...
Madcap Laughed said:
If you want an awesome vaporizer, and dont want to wait for the purple days, i'd say get a myrtlezap because its even better!
So if it's not fair to call the purpledays better than the myrtlezap wouldn't the reverse be true as well.
Madcap Laughed said:
as for the brass, brass nowadays is nearly 100% copper and zinc. there may be absolutely miniscule amounts of lead like 0.25 percent, but think about the fact that nearly all water we drink, is run through brass at some time.
As far as I know only brass for certain applications like water faucets and pluming will eventually require what the EPA calls "lead-free" which can still contain up to 0.25% lead. Other brass manufactured doesn't necessarily have to meet that standard. I'm not sure what type of brass the zaps use and what percentage of lead is apparent. IMO I'd personally like to avoid contact with any lead as much as possible given its extreme toxicity but I can't say for sure whether or not I would actually be exposed to an lead using a zap. It might be a non-existent fear but I'm not the gambling type which is why I purchase organic and do my own gardening for food when I can even though the cost is more.
Madcap Laughed said:
...as for stainless steel 'Even stainless steel cookware can become a problem if an abrasive material is used frequently to clean it thereby releasing small amounts of the toxic metals, Chromium and Nickel.'
Yes chromium and nickel can be toxic in high amounts but the difference is the body can handle amounts of those metals far easier than lead which is extremely toxic and harmful even in especially low amounts (especially damaging to central nervous system). Chromium (III) is actually an essential nutrient needed and used by the human body and stainless steel is not manufactured using the more toxic Chromium (VI). Nickel in high amounts can have lasting damaging effects but in small amounts your body can handle it or at most your likely to just have an allergenic effect if your body has that allergy.
Madcap Laughed said:
and 'Steel pickling workers were 1.4 times more likely to die of lung cancer than the general public.' it'd be easy to question the safety of any product, and perhaps that's why its so common with any product that uses a metal.
I think its highly debatable that exposure to the finished product of stainless steel was the result and not the actual pickling process or other countless other factors that could have played a role in that singular study.

ILoveRadiohead!,

max

Out to lunch
if saftey is the biggest issue when getting a vape, i'd get a vapolution as its all glass internals, but then they have issues with reliability. and it doesnt seem they ever mentioned what the housing is made of(is it glass too? and the paints they use etc)
Reliability issues? Maybe after a few years you'd have an issue with the temp control-maybe. As for the housing and paint, that doesn't enter into the safety picture at all, since the vapor path is all glass. With a few exceptions, vape housings don't get hot, and those that do aren't in the vapor path. The Vapo housing barely gets warm, let alone hot.

max,

Beezleb

They should buy lead free brass, took me all of a less than a minute to find info on it by searching lead and brass. If they are taking it out of water faucets than it is an issue.

I would also say its likely not a big issue for many and theirs probably more brass in your keys but I don't know.

This is why we discuss these things, so each consumer can decide for themselves.

Beezleb,

Madcap Laughed

radiohead, i didnt mean its unfair to say the purple days is better than the myrtlezap. its unfair to claim the purple days is the next evolutionary step in the design that started with the ettera. the purple days and myrtlezap and almost identical!

Madcap Laughed,

marcuss

above the clouds
Madcap Laughed said:

if saftey is the biggest issue when getting a vape, i'd get a vapolution as its all glass internals, but then they have issues with reliability. and it doesnt seem they ever mentioned what the housing is made of(is it glass too? and the paints they use etc) basically, you can find a negative for every vape, whether its a real concern or not is up to your poor head to ache about!
Thanks God the Vapolution is not the only safe vape!
Vaporizers with a stainless steel element (Herborizer,PD) are made to avoid any contact with the heater so no abrasive materials can be used to clean it...but really you need to clean a heater element?why?

there are 10.000.000 ways to die.....choose one! :lol:

marcuss,

lwien

Madcap, you started off this thread stating that the Myrtlezap is better than the Purple Days, which then prompted a response from me as well as others.

Can't we just say that one is NOT better than the other, but rather that they are just different, as with most vapes, and as with most vapes, they both have their pro's and con's.

lwien,

gak hater

lwien said:
Madcap, you started off this thread stating that the Myrtlezap is better than the Purple Days, which then prompted a response from me as well as others.

Can't we just say that one is NOT better than the other, but rather that they are just different, as with most vapes, and as with most vapes, they both have their pro's and con's.
he just stated his opinion
you can give a million reasons why its wrong
but at the end of the day
it is what he thinks and he is entitled to think any way he wants
no matter how unpopular it is.
its called freedom of speech.
making him say something else is taking that away from him :2c:
i see 2 things myself that are better about it
price and availibility

gak hater,

Purple-Days

Madcap says, "its unfair to claim the purple days is the next evolutionary step in the design that started with the ettera. the purple days and myrtlezap and almost identical!" So untrue but it's his right to think and say anything. :rolleyes:

Purple-Days,

gak hater

Purple-Days said:
Madcap says, "its unfair to claim the purple days is the next evolutionary step in the design that started with the ettera. the purple days and myrtlezap and almost identical!" So untrue but it's his right to think and say anything. :rolleyes:
exactly
and its your right to :rolleyes: and comment at what he says..

i think most if not all people who come here
are intellegent enough to form thier own opinion/opinions
without believing the first thing or claim that they read.
or what one person says,
no matter if its right or wrong.
trying to make someone say what you want, i feel is wrong
and that is what i think i'm seeing here.
hell i could be wrong for that matter :lol:

gak hater,

lwien

gak hater said:
he just stated his opinion
you can give a million reasons why its wrong
but at the end of the day
it is what he thinks and he is entitled to think any way he wants
no matter how unpopular it is.
its called freedom of speech.
making him say something else is taking that away from him :2c:
i see 2 things myself that are better about it
price and availibility
My point, gak, is that he didn't state it as an opinion but as fact. Lots of people come in here looking for advice as to their next vape purchase, so, in order to counter balance what he said, many others, including myself, came up with possible counter arguments in an effort to give balance to his statement of, "the myrtlezap is better than the PD" (not an exact quote).

And then, around and round we go with this dance. The "fact" is, and this is NOT an opinion, is that BOTH vapes have their pro's and con's, which doesn't make one intrinsically better than the other. It just depends on what your priorities are and what's important to you in a vape.

I'm not trying to take away his freedom of speech, but just "suggesting" that fact SHOULD hold a bit more weight around here than opinion and that his statement of fact that the Zap is better than the PD is wrong.

Ok, done here.

lwien,

spyder

It's a forum... it's based on people's opinions with some facts sprinkled in :lol:

spyder,

Madcap Laughed

:(

inventor, do you and the aromazap guys have a relationship? because i could see how bad blood could brew.

Madcap Laughed,

Purple-Days

We have no bad blood. Rick and I spent many hours in e-mail cobversations about lots of things other than vapes. We know each other in a private sense. But don't comminicate any more. They have their life we hjave ours. No bad blood that I'm aware of. Personal health issues (mine) and a very busy life drifted us apart. No big deal.

I worked with Rick at his request via e-mail on proof-reading and some other product related stuff. He took some suggestions (iike including the car adapter on the M-Zap kit) and rejected others, like better packaging (who needs it?) and Canadian sales (they live too far from a post office) Just as it should be. It's his baby.

Rick is a good guy and we used his product with satisfaction. The vape market is expanding and there is room for all sorts including the Ol' BC. And there are all types of folk who have many different needs. We just see the matket, and our needs differently.

BTW if you look at my first post in this thread it was to defend the Myrtlezap and a mis-conception about the Myrtlewood. I've said it before this, the Myrtlezap is amuch improved product over the Aromazap, In My Opinion. And to give you the owner af a Myrtlezap a little of the info I had picked up about it.

Purple-Days,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom