Which are your prefered nicknames for Cannabis?

Which are your prefered nicknames for Cannabis?

• Cannabis

Votes: 107 42.5%
  • Weed

Votes: 164 65.1%
  • Bud

Votes: 80 31.7%
  • Herb

Votes: 69 27.4%
  • Pot

Votes: 65 25.8%
  • Marijuana / MJ

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Dope

Votes: 21 8.3%
  • Ganja

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Gas

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Other (specify in the comments)

Votes: 43 17.1%

• Total voters

RobbIt

I'm 48 years old. Never used cannabis ever, not once, 'til 2 years ago. I never had the need or want. Now, I'm a medical user. I have Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis. I live in a legal state, Colorado. My family and I almost exclusively use the word cannabis.

I think 'medicine' is inadvertently an insult to cannabis when one considers what the word 'medicine' means today to many people who have been victims of the medical industry. That holy word has been so defiled by pharmaceutical companies, doctors, hospitals and insurance companies that I hesitate using that word in relation to what I personally use as my alternative to medicine.

However, in a Quixotic effort to retrieve the word medicine from the grasp of goofballs in their silly white coats I occasionally refer to cannabis as medicine.

Definitely NOT marijuana. Unless you're a politician from the South mid-century.

Only use the word dope if you're a dad from the 1970's.

Only use the word blow if you'd like folks to assume you're casually referring to felonious cocaine use.

Or, like my 79 year old slightly senile mother who still speaks with the German accent from her birthplace. It's some sort of false start of 3 different words mashed up "son, are you still using that canamara... ganna something. What do you cal it again? Maracannis?" I think she actually asked me if I was vaping macaroni once.
Hi I too have PPMS and was diagnosed two years ago. It is great for muscle spasms and pain caused by my MS. I enjoyed your comments about ‘medicine and cannabis. I refer to it as MMJ.

I find myself calling it Gush or Gushy or Gushers for good weed because here it's so dry that when it's not it feels noticeably wet. It also sounds like kush, and there's lot of weed here with fruit bullshit names. The nugs here are also usually the size of betty crocker fruit gushers.

gluemonkey,
Reactions: Madri-Gal

Chicken No Name

Dazed and confused
At school we had a 'marshall' who's sole job was to ensure you were where you were supposed to be (in class and not pub), you were wearing the correct uniform etc etc.
Bit of a tosspot as he took far too much relish in his job ( or perhaps I was caught too often).

Anyway, he caught a few of us smoking one afternoon, resulting in a £5 fine, and with a pint being 90 pence this was quite a hit on a 17 year old.

He noticed we were smoking roll ups and immediately asked 'you lot smoking ticklers'......

Confused, we assumed he meant weed so made suitable denials. He just laughed as he collected our fines and packs of baccy.....

Still thinking tickler meant weed we continued to use this term, still to today ('got any tickler' is a common greeting/question), giving the man a legacy of some sort.....

A few years later I found out that tickler was a British navy term for loose cut tobacco and with the Marshall being an ex navy man, the penny dropped....

Here comes the history lesson....

Screenshot_20210810-110217.png

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I use Canna pretty often these days.
I use that word for it, too!

So many of the nicknames are pejorative, obviously just to give it a bad reputation.

Even marijuana is one of those. (Glad to see it's being voted as such.
My personal wish is that we can get beyond that kind of thing, grow up a bit.

Last edited:
vapviking,
Reactions: WisePenny

kel

FuckMisogynists!
Crikey, I use them all and more:

Herb, bud, green, flower, tea, grass, etc.

Hash, solid, slate, pollen, etc.

Also, literally almost any word could be attributed simply by association... Mary Jane? wtf?

I suggest watching this and replacing eskimo and snow with vaper and cannabis and seeing how many derivative words we can dream up 😂

kel,

doctorxga

Teacher once called it wacky baccy ... took me a moment to figure out what he meant and slowly got endeared to the term.... never use it though. Always flower or cannabis and sadly to make other people understand ... weed (I just feel it never describes the plant properly just makes me thinks of nettles and other random nuisance plants) but people get the gist very quickly. OH and high grade is a personal fav

doctorxga,
Reactions: kel

SquirrelMaster

I've used every word on the list except gas but I sure love me some gassy bud. Cannabis is the term I use the most since legalization especially when talking to healthcare professionals or other people that I'm not sure what their stance is. Devil's Lettuce makes me laugh, I remember first hearing it early in my career from an older Romanian guy. I'm pretty sure it was accompanied by the phrase "his eyes were redder than the devil's dick"! :lol: Dope is one I only use with select people. It's nice and offensive sounding which is right up my alley :D. Actually I find Marijuana more offensive with its history but it just sounds great.

They all refer (in my mind) to the greatest plant on this planet so they're all good.

Vape_ninja

weed just cos its the easiest one to say lol

A bag of weed a bag of weed everything's better with a bag of weed!

Vape_ninja,
Reactions: LesPlenty

VapeEscapist

Medicine Buddha
In a small effort to change the perception of cannabis to a more sophisticated culture and show the respect that cannabis is due, I have switched to almost always saying cannabis.

In the past I often said weed, and also liked to say "kind" or "kind bud", specifically for higher grade flower, back in the 90's.

During that same time the term "dro" was going around as a name for high grade. Taken from the name of the growing method, hydroponic.

It got to the point where the term dro just became a blanket term for high grade cannabis regardless of how it was grown, like calling all video games Nintendo... this irked me a lot and I'm so glad the term died out.

Anyway.... A rose by any other name would smell as sweet

EverythingsHazy

I'm still shocked that there's only one vote for "Gas", after >150 votes. I didn't just make that one up. :lol: I think it may come from the "Diesel" strains, esp. on the east coast, but I'm not sure.

As of right now, the three leading options are my favorites. "Cannabis", "weed", and "bud", in no particular order. It depends on who I am with, and on the discussion. When talking about health effects, I usually go with "Cannabis". If I'm referring to actual flower, and not concentrates, I'll use "bud".

Top Bottom